http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 11:15:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: EA Sports Active 2 $19.99 @ TRU  (Read 603 times)
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« on: February 13, 2011, 10:50:18 PM »

For a game that used to run $100, this thing plummeted.

I can confirm the price, though it's unadvertised.  I just picked it up for the PS3.

I believe the price is cross-platform.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 04:56:59 AM »

And I thought I got a good deal at $47.99 for the Kinect version.  I'm actually using this has my primary workout game (I have Fitness Evolved as well) and once you get used to a few quirks in the way the game tracks it is a good game/workout.  For $20 I'd say anyone with a Kinect and wanting a fitness game would be happy with it.
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 01:42:32 PM »

Man I would be pissed if I paid $100 when the game debuted.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 02:16:59 PM »

How much better is this than Yourself! Fitness or My Fitness Coach?
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 02:59:04 PM »

Reviews on GameRankings seem to say the Kinect version is the weakest of the bunch, which is why I went with the PS3.

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 03:17:40 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on February 14, 2011, 02:16:59 PM

How much better is this than Yourself! Fitness or My Fitness Coach?

It's got plusses and minuses vs Yourself! Fitness.  The heart rate monitor in Active is neat, though it doesn't actually affect the workout at all.  It's got two different multi-week workout programs built in, and multiple custom workouts that you can do, plus you can build and save your own workout from all the available exercises.

Active doesn't let you incorporate a ball or step like Yourself does, but does make a lot of use of the included resistance band, and you can tell it to use hand weights (I haven't yet).  Active also won't progress an exercise until the sensors tell it that you've done the rep.  Some exercises don't track so well, which can lead to the game either making you hold on a particular rep for a long time or it simply not recognizing the rep at all.  I kind of prefer Yourself for this, since that one just goes along and you have to follow it.  Active can be frustrating when the sensors are mis-reading and forcing you to slow or stop your pace.  Active also doesn't build in any rest periods, but will tell you to take a water break, but not actually give you time to do it.  I prefer Yourself for that since it actually gives you rest periods.

I think I still kind of prefer Yourself over Active, but it's probably close to 50/50.  I'm probably sticking with Active since I'm a bit over four weeks into a nine week program, and I like the variety of exercises it gives you.  The game has an option to buy DLC workouts, but none have gone up yet, and at this point I think its doubtful there will be any.  I don't mind having paid $48 for it, and I think it's definitely worth it at $20.

Also, I've got the PS3 version as well.  I heard the Kinect sensing was iffy, and I didn't want to hold onto a Wiimote.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 03:41:33 PM »

Thanks so much, that's exactly the kind of info I was looking for.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 04:43:16 PM »

gonna try to find a copy at lunch at the toys r us near work.  hopefully it's not sold out.  thanks!

update:  you may have to ask a clerk to double check this as the toys r us I was just at insisted it was 59.99.  corporate did a horrible job of informing its stores about the sale.  if you persist, they'll call and verify though.  got mine after about 10 minutes of quibbling.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 06:12:01 PM by hepcat » Logged

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 06:23:01 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on February 14, 2011, 03:41:33 PM

Sure.  Let me know if you've got any other questions.  I have plenty of time on my hands these days.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 06:39:23 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on February 14, 2011, 04:43:16 PM

gonna try to find a copy at lunch at the toys r us near work.  hopefully it's not sold out.  thanks!

update:  you may have to ask a clerk to double check this as the toys r us I was just at insisted it was 59.99.  corporate did a horrible job of informing its stores about the sale.  if you persist, they'll call and verify though.  got mine after about 10 minutes of quibbling.

When I called my store, they had not heard about the sale and were pretty sure I wasn't right.  The guy was willing to scan it, though, and it came up at $19.99, much to his surprise.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 06:42:51 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on February 14, 2011, 06:23:01 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on February 14, 2011, 03:41:33 PM

Sure.  Let me know if you've got any other questions.  I have plenty of time on my hands these days.

icon_frown  that will change.  you've got mad skillz.

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2011, 07:47:42 PM »

Forgot one other little gotcha with Active.  Unlike in Yourself, you have a bit less direct control over how long your workouts are.  Basically, your options are:

1) Manually build a workout, which can be as long as you want.  Kind of time consuming, but you can save them.
2) Do a trainer-created workout, focusing on a specific area (upper body, lower, core, etc).  These can be up to 30 minutes max.
3) Do a program workout.  You have the options of starting a 3 week cardio program, or a 9 week full body program.  You can do both of those in easy, medium, or hard difficulties.  I've only done medium, but I think the difficulty adjusts the number of reps and possibly the number of activities per workout.  When you do a program workout, you can toggle individual exercises off for each workout, but that's all the control you really have.  It has you do four workouts per week.  The workouts start between 20-30 minutes (usually longer including loading times and tutorial videos (which only show up the first time you do an exercise, and can be skipped)), and get longer until by the end of the nine weeks, they go up to 50-60 minutes.  Just something to be aware of, and I kind of wish it let you put a cap on the length of time. 

Yourself is obviously nicer for this since it lets you set workout length on your calendar, and generally sticks to it.

Also, Active's UI is pretty slow and annoying, but you don't spend much time in it anyway.

naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2011, 09:40:07 PM »

I picked up my copy during lunch.  Last night I showed it to my wife (we're both on weight watchers, and I think this would interest her).  I would have prefered the NFL version, but this will keep her interested than the NFL copy.

Had no problems getting it to ring up for $19.99.  They had about 8 in stock, and it scanned correctly. 

Thanks for the headsup!
stryker
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2011, 02:23:13 PM »

is this one dead?  i assume it was only in store, but were there any indications of time?
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2011, 02:43:49 PM »

Quote from: stryker on February 15, 2011, 02:23:13 PM

is this one dead?  i assume it was only in store, but were there any indications of time?

I read that it goes to the 26th, actually.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2011, 03:19:05 PM »

Yup, the 26th.  You still have some time.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: