Looks like DVD Soon
has a halloween sale on, and I thought I'd come here and mention it for anyone who's interested. I'd imagine that it will end when the day turns over to November 1st, EST-- but I'm honestly not sure.
It looks like they've rounded most prices to sixes-- which I think is silly, but some of the savings are great. For example, titles that were $9.98 are $6.66. Items that I ordered the other dayat $21.98 are $16.66, and $31.98 has become $26.66. (Prices in Canadian dollars.)
That being said, they've also rounded up
in some cases-- I noticed that $15.98 items have become $16.66, and a DVD that was $23.98 has increased to the $26.66 figure. So, you need to be smart. Check prices with another site, to make sure that you're getting a good deal. Pricegrabber.com seems to be reporting their most recent prices before the sale, so checking there will let you know whether an item's gone up or down.
Other things you should know:
- DVD Soon is a Canadian site, but they'll ship to the U.S. (and I believe they have many U.S. customers). I don't know how bad the customs charges can be, but I once read that they attempted to understate to avoid incurring them. Basically, shop at your own risk, or do your own research.
- As they're located in Québec, if you're shopping from Canada but are located in a different province, you only pay GST. If you're shopping from outside of Canada, no sales tax!
- Standard shipping is free.
- They charge your credit card at the time of purchase. This can be a nuisance if they're not able to ship for some time. You are
able to cancel an order before it enters "packaging" status, but I hear you have to navigate bureaucracy to get the money back in your pocket.
- Eight items per order, but you can place multiple orders.
Personally, I placed a rather large order (seven items) with them this past Thursday. So I'm a little annoyed with the sale. (I would have saved nearly $20 CAD.) They'd processed most of the items, too, so I can't cancel and re-order. That being said, I still
got a good deal, and their prices are routinely great.
This is a great opportunity to do some early Christmas shopping!