http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 09:43:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Circuit City, scavenging the going out of biz sales (was: Fatal Short Circuit)  (Read 2993 times)
Speaker2Animals
Gaming Trend Reader

Diplomatic Kzin

View Profile
« on: October 30, 2008, 09:58:00 PM »

Edit #2: Converted this thread to the going out of biz scavenging thread. Started as last week's Fallout 3 sale, then the impending Rumors, so might as well follow it thru. If you're just joining this thread, the going out of biz stuff gets going @ end of the ist page.

Edit: Down a handful of posts, linkage to breaking rumors of CC closing 150+ stores. 155/@600= @25% of the chain. Ouch.
http://gizmodo.com/5074174/rumor-circuit-city-on-deaths-door-closing-155-stores-this-monday

[crossposted @ OO]

OK, couldn't resist & bit for Fallout 3. I meant to hold out for a few months & crunch my backlog, but got off the fence quick once I accidentally found I had one of those PITA expiring-at-end-of-this-month rebates-on-a-debit-card I totally forgot was due to expire on 10/31 (so find something/_anything_ to use it in remaining 48 hours or forget my 30 buck rebate). So Fallout was, of course, the natural choice, and after digging around Circuit City seems to actually have a good 'nuff deal to post over:

Basically, $49 for Fallout 3 pc (or $59.99 for PS3 or 360; or $79.99 collector's), also includes a $10 gift card & a (useless) mini strategy guide (Receipt shows it ringing up as a promo package: $39.99+$10). But the nice thing is the mini guide has a coupon for the full Fallout 3 strat guide for $9.99. So then turn around & Immediately hand back the $10 gift card to buy the now discounted $9.99 Strat Guide. (& BTW the strat guide looks pretty good too - a Big Hefty Tome w/ msrp $24.99 - same guide for all 3 platforms, so this deal will work ps3/360/collectors too, factoring in the base cost.)

So, with tax, the 2 individual transactions ran me $52.49 for Fallout 3 + $.61 for the guide: @$53 out the door total.

It is in Circuit City's B&M ad this week, page 10, so nothing that revolutionary about it, but seems like a pretty darn solid deal if you're at all interested in the strat guide. Here's the online linkage which pretty much reflects the same (Add to Cart to verify the gift card part; online strat guide shows up/rings up at $14.99, so you actually need the coupon in the miniguide to get it down to the $9.99). http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/Search.do?c=1&searchType=user&keyword=fallout+3&searchSection=All

Cheers & see ya in the wasteland.

p.s. Yeah, they should have just said 'Free full $25 msrp strat guide w/ purchase of any version of Fallout 3,' or something similarly simple, but we are talking about CC & overly complicated/half assed backward is just their way, no?

p.p.s Don't trust their in store inventory check either. From online my local store still shows no inventory; of course they had a shelf full.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 10:57:06 PM by Speaker2Animals » Logged
Eduardo X
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 04:31:43 PM »

Circuit City is the worst store ever! Every time I go there I am nothing but frustrated.
As always, they didn't actually have any copies of Fallout 3 for PC, nor had they ever. As the deal is madness, I can't get it priced matched anymore, so it was just a wasted trip.

PSN ID: EduardoX
JohnathanStrange

Noted Humanitarian

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 07:41:08 PM »

I love Circuit City for gaming!! Their confusion, mislabeled prices, out-of-date prices, etc. has allowed me to get bargains galore there for years now. I recall getting just released games for $19.99 and less, much less.

I keep reading on gaming forums here and at OO, how terrible CC is. Yet Best Buy's efficiency means I virtually NEVER get a good deal on an older (say six months or so) game, almost never. Consequently I haven't bought a non-price-matched game in years from BestBuy.

Yet at CC, some clerk will price Bioshock for $14.95 days after its release ("It can't happen, we're all computerized, sku verified, barcode accurate, impossible!" Yet it happens...) and several other games. It's been an open secret for years.

I stopped posting about the shenanigans at CC because it elicited no response at all from the same people who were ecstatic about a $5 off BestBuy coupon and indifferent to a $25 pricing "error" at CC.

I picked up  the PC versions of Assassin's Creed, Gears of War, Silent Hunter 4, Portal all within days of their release for like $12 to $19 each (I think SH 4 was like $8.48). The store would correct the pricing but I'd already made the buy. Then it would happen again.

Sure they're all YMMV buys but still: my local CC can't be the only CC with weird or out-dated pricing.

My favorite Circuit City purchases were of a Fritz XI chess program and a Kasparov Teaches Chess program for $14.99 and $5.48 - at the time (even now more than a year later) selling for $60 and $30 respectively - and almost impossible to get except online. Chess software does drop in price eventually - the more mainstream stuff does - but not as fast (except for the ubiquitous ChessMaster series which is OK - I've nothing against it) and finding the more specialized programs in stores is rare.

Anyhow: CC's loss could be your gain.

You just don't give up do you? You seize life by the throat and shake it like a topless bartender mixing a martini! -- Mayor Adam West
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008, 08:30:47 PM »

Quote from: Eduardo X on November 02, 2008, 04:31:43 PM

Circuit City is the worst store ever! Every time I go there I am nothing but frustrated.
As always, they didn't actually have any copies of Fallout 3 for PC, nor had they ever. As the deal is madness, I can't get it priced matched anymore, so it was just a wasted trip.

Mine was keeping them behind the counter and had nothing up to indicate it.  I had to ask where the heck fallout 3 was.  To add to the idiocy, the 'coupon' for the strat guide kept ring up as costing 34 bucks.  After about 15 minutes of him being an idiot about it, I finally said give me the damn guide and keep the stupid gift card.  I did have to pay 81 cents tax on the guide, but by that time I just couldn't take it any more.

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
Speaker2Animals
Gaming Trend Reader

Diplomatic Kzin

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 12:01:24 AM »

I'm w/ you  Johnathan on actually _liking_ the screwed up & utterly disorganized nature of CC. By that happenstance, I've ended up buying more from then than any other retailer the last few years (well, actually Target's red stickered clearance stuff might still be #1). But CC does seem to reliably screw things up in our gamers' favor reasonably often, I'd say. The other times they typically fail to have in what they're advertising I'll grant, but still that's part of the "CC challenge"!

I'm also gratified to see this (now dead) deal at least get some belated love/discussion! Thought it was smokin' to get an effective freebie of what I think is a world classs effort of a monster strategy guide. One which I'd have wanted anyway & would have been been haunting half price books probably for months & months on end looking for one to show up there dog eared/used ('cause I'm of course too much of a cheapass to actually pay $24 bucks for a _guide_).

Have to confess though, my original post did make CC sound more organized than it was... Decided my post was too verbose as it was, and left out teh actual challenge of making the purchase, game in hand, guide in hand, and clear-as-day advertisement in hand...  in retrospect I should have added in all the details: the part of them being out of (or not really up to looking for the the little freebie "mini guide": the couple page dingus inside where the actual physical coupon-for-$9-strat-guide was. Sans the freebie guide, hence sans the actual guide coupoon; so that being the case, as you might well guess, it took a LOT of fiddling (and gentle explaining and persuading by me) for the helpful but clueless CC drone to first figure out, let alone agree to, then (god forbid) actually execute the transaction (NUMEROUS calls to the equally daft customer service desk guy). Good times, those 15 mins wasted smile

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 02:11:09 AM »

Yeah, and that is exactly why everyone else hates Circuit City. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Speaker2Animals
Gaming Trend Reader

Diplomatic Kzin

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 03:09:18 AM »

Talk about right damn on cue...
Your Hate, Your Hate has Made you STRONG...
http://consumerist.com/5074161/updated-breaking-circuit-city-closing-155-stores
http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=38&threadid=2240855&highlight_key=y&keyword1=circuit+city 
http://gizmodo.com/5072782/sony-trucks-literally-turn-around-to-stop-circuit-city-shipments
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 04:27:08 AM »

Quote from: Speaker2Animals on November 03, 2008, 03:09:18 AM

I hate to see people lose jobs, but... I honestly don't know how they've stayed open for this long.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2008, 04:50:15 AM »

I can't imagine how they have stayed in business that long either.  I mean the local store here in CA is the worst place ever. 
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2008, 02:12:25 PM »

My local circuit city is actually pretty good and I prefer it over my local Best Buy.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
JohnathanStrange

Noted Humanitarian

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2008, 03:32:34 PM »

What's interesting to me is how my local Circuit City has from its Grand Opening three years ago been so like a disorganized Dollar Store or Big Lots or a "going out of business" appliance store: boxes piled up, registers closed, clerks standing around gabbing, prices out-of-date, half the TVs turned off, merchandise randomly placed, etc.

For gaming purposes, it's worked out well for me and others: remember their "buy one $19.99 (or less) game, get the second for a penny" sale that enabled you to buy, say, one $7.48 game and a $50 game for $7.49? That wasn't so long ago. And that doesn't even include the local stores' inexplicable mispricing of new games - a treasure hunt but what's a few minutes for a $30 saving on a new PS/360 game?

I'll be sad to see them go; if they go. Not just because of their unintended bargains but because I dislike having to rely on few stores; I like having choices: if BB competes with CC, and they both compete with the internet - we all win. If the price for accidental sales is an occasional clueless clerk, so be it - and realistically, virtually every retail store has more items in inventory than one person can be familiar with. I don't curse Home Depot because a worker there didn't know if the Schlage single cylinder deadbolts with the antique brass (not the bright brass, mind you) was on sale for $24 or $27.50 - but maybe I should've; those incompetent oafs.

I wouldn't risk a major TV purchase with CC though; the unreliability in one area seems to indicate unreliability by association. I have bought DVD players and other small electronics still; and again there were some very good prices to be had when some iPod accessories, headphones, DVD players rang up 25% less than their sticker price: the indifferent clerks would say "A good deal" and complete the sale.

Ultimately I wonder whether they declined because of indifferent store and inventory management or because of internet competition - although it's probably a mix of causes.

(BTW, that was an awesome deal on a fantastic strategy guide! I don't use 'em for the strategy/tips/spoilers but for the shear beauty and effort of the guide. This is one of those keepers!)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 03:34:43 PM by JohnathanStrange » Logged

You just don't give up do you? You seize life by the throat and shake it like a topless bartender mixing a martini! -- Mayor Adam West
Speaker2Animals
Gaming Trend Reader

Diplomatic Kzin

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2008, 04:34:26 PM »

Here's the list of 155 CC closings. http://consumerist.com/5074854/complete-list-of-closing-circuit-city-stores

Yup, both of my 2 closest are listed. One is right next to an also closing Linen & Things. Gonna be hurting piece of strip mall retail there.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2008, 04:46:27 PM »

None of the MA stores are closing, I wonder why? I like the CC near my office. The location is easy to get to from the highway, it's well organized, and they have in-store pickup when you order from the web. I don't buy there without checking prices, but I have gotten decent deals there.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2008, 04:48:24 PM »

lol... the CC that opened up close to my house in AUGUST is shutting down.  Not that it's surprising... it was half the size of a normal Circuit City, and within walking distance of a Super Target and Gamestop.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 04:50:28 PM by Laner » Logged
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2008, 05:05:42 PM »

The one in my town of Dublin is closing.  Good riddance!
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2008, 05:10:14 PM »

Sweet! Neither of the two near me are shutting down.
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2008, 01:03:37 AM »

Weird, they're closing the "good" one but leaving the really crappy one open here in Chicago.

disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2008, 01:41:24 AM »

all of the stores near me (Hartford, CT area) are staying open.  while i don't go to CC often, i'm glad to see they're not closing any of the ones around here.  they've been a great place for deals on new release games for a while now...much better than BestBuy thanks to $10 gift cards or Marketplace point offers.  i don't buy much else there, but if they keep up those offers, i'll be buying more of my games there.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2008, 01:49:08 AM »

Strange, the CC near my house has always been decent. Although, having a well-managed Best Buy in the area probably kills half their business.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2008, 04:46:02 PM »

I've never liked Circuit City.  I don't like the store's layout, I don't like the lack of organization, and if paying regular prices means a more pleasant shopping experience then I'm all for paying for quality.  When I walk into Best Buy I never have any trouble finding what I am looking for, the store isn't a dimly lit, poorly organized maze of randomness, and if on a rare occasion I have difficulty finding my prize there is always a Best Buy employee nearby to point me in the right direction.  And for quite some time now I have had nothing but pleasant experiences with employees.  Granted, I never have to ask for technical advice, but from a shopping standpoint I am always pleased with their knowledge of the store's layout.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2008, 09:02:06 PM »

All I know is that cc has been kicking everybody's butts lately with the deals on games...
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2008, 09:15:47 PM »

It looks like this is happening fast.  My local store was closed yesterday, and reopened today to liquidate their remaining stock.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Speaker2Animals
Gaming Trend Reader

Diplomatic Kzin

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2008, 11:07:24 PM »

Yah, going out of biz is starting up today 11/5. Happened to be driving by, so stopped. My comments:

Most cars I've seen in a CC parking lot in a long time. Liquidators, not CC proper doing it, so as expected/normal for these kind of things prices are marked back up to MSRP, then a miserly 10% off. So, in my opinion, as to stuff I'm aware of (e.g. flatsceens & stuff) costs more than last week. Plus CC's closure is getting local media coverage, so will make it tough to get a deal. And all these people wandering around in there were buying at least _some_ stuff too. So I expect will be really picked over.

So in other words, there is nothing of interest to a true Scavenger right now.  By time there is, will likely be really picked over. Lots of games around of all kinds, so remains to  be seen what, if any, will be laying around in a month.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2008, 06:42:44 PM »

Quote from: Speaker2Animals on November 05, 2008, 11:07:24 PM

Yah, going out of biz is starting up today 11/5. Happened to be driving by, so stopped. My comments:

Most cars I've seen in a CC parking lot in a long time. Liquidators, not CC proper doing it, so as expected/normal for these kind of things prices are marked back up to MSRP, then a miserly 10% off. So, in my opinion, as to stuff I'm aware of (e.g. flatsceens & stuff) costs more than last week. Plus CC's closure is getting local media coverage, so will make it tough to get a deal. And all these people wandering around in there were buying at least _some_ stuff too. So I expect will be really picked over.

So in other words, there is nothing of interest to a true Scavenger right now.  By time there is, will likely be really picked over. Lots of games around of all kinds, so remains to  be seen what, if any, will be laying around in a month.

funny thing about the closure where i live.  it's already an outlet store, so by rights, everything in there should be marked down to begin with.  i haven't gone in there in years and only bought one item there ever.  bad location and weak exposure to the road. 

if everything is getting marked down from full retail, i wonder what they are doing there.

Owain
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2008, 07:18:36 PM »

Quote from: Speaker2Animals on November 05, 2008, 11:07:24 PM

Aha!  I was discussing it with others and we were wondering why the deals had so much suckage.  In fact we found a few items we could go buy right off the shelf at the Best Buy 1/2 a mile down the road and pay less.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2008, 08:39:48 PM »

filing for chapter 11

seems their vendors are having commitment issues and won't sell them goods on credit.  if you happen to work at any of the still open stores, i would suggest you start applying to best buy as that's where the business will go. 

so long cc.  i never really had a problem with you, but you always seemed to be out of stock of whatever it was i wanted anyways. 

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2008, 11:08:30 PM »

So does this mean they're done?

I have a 10.00 gift card from there... can I still spend it?
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2008, 01:33:28 AM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on November 10, 2008, 11:08:30 PM

So does this mean they're done?

I have a 10.00 gift card from there... can I still spend it?

i wouldn't wait much longer.  estimates are not good for cc to remain viable beyond the end of the year.  i would use it before they decide to stop honoring them. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: