http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 12:25:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cheap Laptops?  (Read 2807 times)
Poomba
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: November 29, 2004, 09:00:44 PM »

I am about to sell off my Apple iBook and replace it with a PC laptop. I'm not looking for anything incredibly fancy. I just simply need to browse the web (wirelessly from my couch would be nice) do some word processing and layout the occasional brochure in Quark (nothing too graphic intensive by the way).

The cheapest I've found is a Dell Inspirion 1000 for $599...is there anything cheaper out there that anyone knows of? Or possibly a different manufacturer with a little more ooommpphh for the $$?

Any help would be appreciated!
Laner
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2004, 09:45:25 PM »

Quote from: "Poomba"

The cheapest I've found is a Dell Inspirion 1000 for $599...is there anything cheaper out there that anyone knows of? Or possibly a different manufacturer with a little more ooommpphh for the $$?

That's ridiculously cheap for a laptop - if price is your biggest concern, go for it.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2004, 10:59:10 PM »

hi,

i got a dell Latitude for about $626 including shipping), with 7 months Dell Gold coverage left on it - in home or office, covers hard drive and screen.  battery not guaranteed, but i didn't care because it's for at home in the living room.  if i ever want a battery, they're not that expensive.  

what impressed me by the Latitude was that it is supposedly a "workhorse", keeps on kicking, very tough, the choice for traveling salespeople - and it weighs very little for a 2 yr old machine (5.9 lb).  the one i got was refurbed (not very well, had to update a ton of drivers), was 1.0GHz, 20 GB hard drive, low but expandable ram, and only one usb port.  despite these drawbacks, i use it all the time and love it.  i use it wirelessly - lol, except for the power cord!  oh, and the screen is nice and bright and clear.

here's the info from mine, below, and there is a similar one at Tigerdirect.com.   the one i got, i did with buy-it-now on eBay, but there were plenty that i could have been bid on, but i opted for the one with the warrantee.  i'd give a good search on them, you might be able to do better with more research, or with bidding.

i just checked eBay and if you do an "advanced search", "by seller", enter "ronaldlynn" -  there're more there now - with at least one that, on quick glance, looks better than mine - for a little less, and still 6 mos. warrantee).  ouch...

Good Luck!

Item name:          Dell Latitude Notebook C610 1000MHzP3 56KNIC WinXP256MB
          Item #:             6707857300
          Buy It Now price:   US $597.00
          Quantity:           1
          Subtotal:           US $597.00(Shipping and Handling not included)
          Seller User ID:     ronaldlynn

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
unbreakable
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2004, 07:15:22 AM »

Dell is, IMO, the best laptop you can get at any price (unless the sky is the limit, and you want an Alienware "mobile PC" rather than a laptop).

Ive had many laptops in the past 10+ years, and the best ones were the Dells I had in the past few years.  Compaq WAS good, but I think HP is killing the quality the company used to have.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2004, 05:34:53 PM »

IBM is the best laptop you can buy imho.

Anyway, I also have a laptop for sale Poomba.

An IBM Thinkpad T22.

P3 900Mhz
512 RAM
40 Gig HD
Windows XP Professional
Wireless NIC

It's in really good shape.  I can post pictures if you want.

I'm asking $530 for it, shipped.  Let me know if you're interested.

This signature is not personal, at all.  If any of you honesty feel this POTUS (that was me being restrained by the way) is acting in our best interest...  I've a lot of useless crap to sell you. Wake the heck up.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: