http://gamingtrend.com
September 19, 2014, 08:00:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Buying a 6800GT in the next few weeks...  (Read 2872 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: June 16, 2005, 02:17:04 PM »

Help me keep an eye out for a deal would ya?  Thanks!

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2005, 02:25:48 PM »

Hey... I may join you in this venture.  I could use a nice upgrade on my main machine, and then I could put my 9800pro (128mb) in my second machine.

Keep me in the loop on this one Ron.

Thanks.

LD

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2005, 02:30:53 PM »

Right now, New Egg has the best deal at 299 for the Leadtek one.  Still trying to do better....

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2005, 10:00:24 PM »

FYI the new Nvidia cards are going to be annouced next week and there is always a price drop on the current gen shortly after. The 6200 just had a big drop so the rest should follow shortly.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2005, 10:06:15 PM »

Thanks for the heads up!  I'll hold off until around my birthday (3rd of July) instead of jumping the gun early...

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2005, 11:18:11 AM »

Cool Cool.   Thanks Rob.

I'll be checking to see what you find Ron.  You will be my spiritual guide to videocard enlightenment.  IoW... let me know when, where you pull the trigger.

LD

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2005, 01:52:09 PM »

Best Buy has it for $340 $20 Instant + $40 Mail-in I believe.
Was in this weekends flyer.
BFG 6800 GT OC

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2005, 03:38:47 PM »

NewEgg has a deal on an OEM PNY 6800.

Linkage

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2005, 10:03:58 PM »

I could be wrong but that looks like the standard 6800 not the GT ;-)
Otherwise it would be an awesome deal.

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2005, 02:23:55 AM »

Hey! I'm just throwing out the deals as I see'em.
 smile

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
wankerjr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2005, 06:16:38 PM »

Well the new 7800GTX launched today so we should see prices fall a bit more hopefully pretty soon.

How does this work again?
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2005, 06:22:59 PM »

Hey Ron... I pulled the trigger!  [BFG 6800GT OC]

Got it at my local Best Buy after getting a much bigger bonus check than I had anticipated.  (we get them twice a year).    biggrin

Anway... I spent more than I should have most likely, but it's such a freakin' great card, I don't even care.

$374.00 (after tax, licence, and registration) minus a $40.00 mail-in.... [$334]

Installed and configured so easily, it was a snap.  Bought a new hard drive while I was as it.  160gig.

I have only tested a few things on it so far... absolutely kick-ass card from what I can tell.

(oh, and picked up BF2 at Gamestop today ta' boot!)

Your Turn !!!!!

LD  :wink:

LD

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2005, 03:02:53 AM »

Picked up BF2, got a coupon link in it (although I'll be damned if I can find the coupon) for 10 bucks off a XFX card at NewEgg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814150102

Newegg lists it at 284 + 5 bucks shipping.   Waiting just a liiiiiittle bit longer to see if the price plummets with the 7800 being available as of today.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2005, 05:53:49 PM »

I picked up the 6800 for $150 on Newegg, and plan on picking up BF2 tomorrow.

Hopefully I will be able to unlcok the 6800 to become a GT (16 pipes).

There appears to be a 50/50 success rate for unlocking them.

This signature is intentional, ie not a mistake.  If you thing Rick Perry should be forced to resign for this crap, you're part of the problem with our country.  Give me a freaking break.
TradeAble
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2005, 06:24:35 PM »

i just bought the evga 6600gt.  Is the evga 6800 better than the 6600gt?  The price difference is about 40 bucks after rebate.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2005, 07:10:10 PM »

Quote from: "TradeAble"
i just bought the evga 6600gt.  Is the evga 6800 better than the 6600gt?  The price difference is about 40 bucks after rebate.

It is my understanding that the 6800 is better than the 6600GT.

The 6800 has 12 pipes (some can unlock to 16), whereas the 6600GT has 8 pipes.

Dont' quote me though.  

I asked the same question over at Anandtech and was told that the 6800 is better.

This signature is intentional, ie not a mistake.  If you thing Rick Perry should be forced to resign for this crap, you're part of the problem with our country.  Give me a freaking break.
TradeAble
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2005, 08:51:52 PM »

is it a whole lot better to warrent the extra 40 cash or is it just 1 or 2 frame rates extra?
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2005, 09:19:10 PM »

is it a whole lot better to warrent the extra 40 cash or is it just 1 or 2 frame rates extra?

I think it is just a few frames extra, here is a decent article on it.

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041119/geforce-6600gt-agp-03.html#benchmarks

The only catch being the fact that some 6800's unlock, which basically turns them into 6800GT's.

The 6600 looks like a great card so I wouldn't be worried about your purchase.

TradeAble
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2005, 09:56:33 PM »

dam, i should of spent the extra cash.
TradeAble
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2005, 11:09:05 PM »

I just ordered the evga 6800 for a little over 200 after taxes.  I'm gonna return the 6600gt so all is well.  After seeing the frame rates from your link it is a huge difference and at times a 9800 pro was better than the 6600gt.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2005, 12:34:23 PM »

Here is a good article on unlocking the 6800

http://firingsquad.com/hardware/geforce_6800_unlocking/

Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2005, 12:34:54 PM »

I just ordered the evga 6800 for a little over 200 after taxes.  I'm gonna return the 6600gt so all is well.  After seeing the frame rates from your link it is a huge difference and at times a 9800 pro was better than the 6600gt.

Good move!  Glad the link helped.

Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2005, 02:38:57 PM »

Here are the instructions on how to unlock it:

**Update** Changes made to reflect newest build of RivaTuner (15.5)

So you've been surfing these forums and everyone who has a 6800 seems to have theirs "unlocked" and you see that the performance benefit of unlocking is pretty good. You search and search for HOURS trying to look up information on how to do it... but you're out of of luck in finding a walkthrough. So you download RivaTuner, you check the settings and you start clicking on buttons that you THINK will do it but then you get an error that says "This may screw up your computer and your card entirely." So you stop.. and you wonder what the heck to do.

Sound familiar? Well wonder no more. Here is my step-by-step guide on how to work with RivaTuner to unlock those pipelines and vertex processor to help you get that performance boost you've been looking for.

NOTE: This, to my knowledge, will NOT work with the NV41 (PCI-Express) version of the 6800. The NV40 (AGP 8x) is the only version able to unlock.

Step 1:
Obviously, download and install RivaTuner 15.5. This newest release candidate will unlock many cards that were previously unable to unlock with versions 15.2-15.4. Make sure you get this one. Install it, and then move on to Step 2.

Step 2:
When you first run RivaTuner, you will probably get an error message that says something about your drivers not being supported. Don't worry, your softmod will work (provided successful) regardless of your driver version. Hit OK, uncheck the box if you'd like, and you should get to the main menu screen... which will look something like this. Go ahead and move on to Step 3.

Step 3:
Alright, now that you're at the main menu, click on the little arrow beside the word customize (pic). This will open a menu to which you should click on the first one to the left (pic). This configures the Low Level System Settings. Once you're at the next menu, move on to Step 4.

Step 4:
Okay, so far so good. Next, navigate to the NVStrap tab. On it, toward the bottom, you will see a check box that says "Allow Enabling Hardware Masks." Go ahead and check it, and you should get a warning box like so. Go ahead and hit Yes. Step 5 time!

Step 5:
Once you hit OK in the warning box, click on the dropdown box beside "Active pixel/vertex units configuration" and select Custom (pic). The "Customize" box below it should then become available. Click that and a new window will appear (pic). Next step!

Step 6:
In the next menu is where you will actually enable your pipelines and vertex shader. What you're going to do is look underneath the "HW masked" column for those that say "yes." There should be 2 of them. On the far left side of the row in which they say "yes," click once to make a check mark appear. (pic of whole process). Go ahead and hit OK. Final step!

Step 7:
After checking the rows that were masked and hitting OK, it should take you back to the previous screen. It should now say "custom (16x1,6vp)" in the dropdown box. (pic). Hit OK and it should prompt you to restart (do so). After restarting, open up RivaTuner again and your menu should now look like so.

Congratulations! You've now successfully enabled 4 more pipes and 1 more vertex processor on your 6800.

This doesn't however, guarantee they work properly. Run some graphics-intensive programs and look for artifacts. If there are, indeed, artifacts or any other corruption, just go back to the NVStrap tab and change the dropdown box back to "Determined by VGA BIOS." That will bring you back to normal.

Most, however, have reported that if there were artifacts, you could usually lock back just the pipes and keep the vertex shader open and the artifacts will go away. If you'd like to try that, simply uncheck the pipe (labelled Pixel Unit x in the customize screen) and don't uncheck the Vertex Unit.

Much luck to you all!

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2005, 05:35:35 AM »

One BFG 6800 GT OC installed this evening.  smile  Best buy had em for 400, then on sale for 359.99, and drop in a 10% off from Slickdeals.net for Best Buy and it was a no brainer for me. smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: