http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 12:54:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 20" Widescreen LCD- $280  (Read 1347 times)
unbreakable
« on: May 11, 2006, 02:01:48 AM »

VIEWSONIC VX2025wm 20.1" Widescreen LCD Display

I just ordered one a while ago.  The only downside is the $100 MIR, but I'll get over it.

I was actually gearing up to get the Dell 20" widescreen LCD on sale for $450.  Glad I waited!
Lockdown
Gaming Trend Senior Member

LD

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2006, 12:19:11 PM »

This is pretty cool.  I have a question for you unbreakable, or anyone who might know I guess.

How do most games handle widescreen formats?  I mean, what do they do?  Do they conform to the extended width?  Do they cut off the sides with black lines?  Do the "stretch" and then look sort of deformed?

I know, lame question, but I really don't understand how it works.

Thanks.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2006, 05:29:18 PM »

It depends on the game... check out http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/ to look up specific titles.
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2006, 06:09:01 PM »

Quote from: "Laner"
It depends on the game... check out http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/ to look up specific titles.

It can be a bit difficult navigating that site, try this link for particular games:

Master Gaming list

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2006, 06:44:00 PM »

Widescreen gaming can really be touchy depending on how powerful your computer is. If you dont have a powerful CPU and graphics card, it can be very difficult to play games in the native resolution that will make your mointor actually look good. That is the problem I am facing.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2006, 07:18:51 PM »

Quote from: "Calvin"
Widescreen gaming can really be touchy depending on how powerful your computer is. If you dont have a powerful CPU and graphics card, it can be very difficult to play games in the native resolution that will make your mointor actually look good. That is the problem I am facing.

Because of my widescreen monitor (one of the Dell deals a bit ago), I ended upgrading everything in my PC - processor, RAM, motherboard, and video card, just so I could take advantage of 1680x1050 widescreen goodness.

But boy was it worth it.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
unbreakable
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2006, 08:54:23 PM »

I read some games support it.  For those which stick to the 4:3 aspect ratio, the monitor MAY stretch the image to fill up the screen.

If you don't want that... well, it depends on the monitor what it does at that point.  I think I read about the Dell widescreen which would allow you to use the 4:3 aspect ratio, but you would need to change to a resolution besides your default (so you can't have multiple settings for the same res).

Normally I would be worried, but since the monitor is just going to be used to display TV and movies, it will not be changing resolutions very often.  I have no idea how the Viewsonic will handle these situations, since I did not investigate too deeply aside from the picture quality.

Another thing I noticed about the Viewsonic over the Dell offering was that the viewing angle is greater for the Viewsonic, which makes it better for my usage plans.
unbreakable
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2006, 10:40:51 PM »

Blast!

I just got an email yesterday, it's backordered.  I was hoping to be watching some movies on it next week!
unbreakable
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2006, 05:38:09 PM »

WooHoo!!!

Got it in last night, set it up right quick like a little kiddie on Christmas Day.

It's a REALLY great monitor, so glad I saw this deal.  My only regret was not buying two!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: