[movie] Alien: Covenant

Started by Blackjack, May 18, 2017, 04:41:08 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Blackjack

May 18, 2017, 04:41:08 PM Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 04:52:55 PM by Blackjack
http://www.foxmovies.com/movies/alien-covenant

So I'm definitely in the camp that found Prometheus disappointing and mostly full of stupid and/or repellent characters doing stupid/dumb things. I don't mind a repellent character who has some opportunity to evolve a little (like the panicky officer in Aliens eventually does). I love Charlize Theron, but why hire her to be this rhymes with itchy character for an entire movie with no evolution at all? My brother and nephew loved it as experience but I don't think they argued that any of the characters were smart or terribly appealing. Sorry I digress.  :icon_smile:

I might catch Alien: Covenant late tonight (during its Thursday evening 'soft' opening) in spite of some reviews making the same observations. But many reviews say it's at least close to a return to Alien form for Scott, although some are complaining it feels essentially like a remake of Alien with dumber-acting characters. So we'll see.  :icon_smile:

I saw all four Alien films during their initial theatrical runs. I was I think 14 when I saw Alien with my mom and brother, and we definitely found it a pulse pounder. I didn't see movies repeatedly back then (stuff like The Empire Strikes Back and Raiders of the Lost Ark were probably the first blockbusters I'd go find a way to see in theaters over and over).

I caught Aliens in 1986, and wrote a movie review of it for my summer newswriting class in college. And I definitely saw it several times.

Alien3 I just really didn't much like. From what I read, David Fincher wasn't pleased with changes forced on him, and I kind of wonder what a 'director's cut' might've looked like. I just found it sad to kill off the Hicks and Newt characters 'between Aliens and Alien3" and aside from the appealing doctor character it was mostly unappealing characters in prison yelling at each other. Certainly you can see some of Fincher's primorial style trappings as director in it -- his camera work has a lot of energy, and I think that's what some folks respond to in it. Made for an excellent side scrolling blaster game on Sega Genesis at least. :)

Alien Resurrection I just found extremely weird. Joss Whedon helped write it, but I don't think it had the kind of charm his other work in TV and movies has had.

I'm sad Neill Blomkamp won't get a chance to try to belatedly follow up Aliens, and bring back the Hicks and Newt characters. I would guess that would've had to just pretend Alien 3/4 didn't exist or were some 'alternate time line.' Ridley Scott's sourpuss comments about that suggest Blomkamp had no real script to speak of, just a basic plot idea and some concept art drawings, and so I doubt Scott has any interest in pursuing that specifically, even if he's said in recent interviews he wants to do and/or oversee several more Alien movies (he's bout 79 years old now I think).
Playing
PC
-Helldivers (on Steam)
-Killing Floor 2 (Steam early access)
-Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands (uPlay open beta)

Bullwinkle

http://www.foxmovies.com/movies/alien-covenant

So I'm definitely in the camp that found Prometheus disappointing and mostly full of stupid and/or repellent characters doing stupid/dumb things. I don't mind a repellent character who has some opportunity to evolve a little (like the panicky officer in Aliens eventually does). I love Charlize Theron, but why hire her to be this rhymes with itchy character for an entire movie with no evolution at all? My brother and nephew loved it as experience but I don't think they argued that any of the characters were smart or terribly appealing. Sorry I digress.  :icon_smile:

I might catch Alien: Covenant late tonight (during its Thursday evening 'soft' opening) in spite of some reviews making the same observations. But many reviews say it's at least close to a return to Alien form for Scott, although some are complaining it feels essentially like a remake of Alien with dumber-acting characters. So we'll see.  :icon_smile:

I saw all four Alien films during their initial theatrical runs. I was I think 14 when I saw Alien with my mom and brother, and we definitely found it a pulse pounder. I didn't see movies repeatedly back then (stuff like The Empire Strikes Back and Raiders of the Lost Ark were probably the first blockbusters I'd go find a way to see in theaters over and over).

I caught Aliens in 1986, and wrote a movie review of it for my summer newswriting class in college. And I definitely saw it several times.

Alien3 I just really didn't much like. From what I read, David Fincher wasn't pleased with changes forced on him, and I kind of wonder what a 'director's cut' might've looked like. I just found it sad to kill off the Hicks and Newt characters 'between Aliens and Alien3" and aside from the appealing doctor character it was mostly unappealing characters in prison yelling at each other. Certainly you can see some of Fincher's primorial style trappings as director in it -- his camera work has a lot of energy, and I think that's what some folks respond to in it. Made for an excellent side scrolling blaster game on Sega Genesis at least. :)

Alien Resurrection I just found extremely weird. Joss Whedon helped write it, but I don't think it had the kind of charm his other work in TV and movies has had.
Joss has also been on record saying he was frustrated by the mishandling of what he wrote.
"The cause of death was asphyxiation, or smothering, in layman's terms."

"What does 'layman's terms' mean?"

Blackjack

May 19, 2017, 12:50:25 PM Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 12:52:30 PM by Blackjack
So the Regal RPX 10 pm show I wanted to see was... $18.45 (!), and I just am not confident enough about the movie to shove my greenbacks at it. Guardians of the Galaxy 2 I all but knew I'd love (I did, have seen it twice).

Ebert.com's reviewer had rated Alien: Covenant a 4/4 stars classic while Wash. Post's chief critic labeled it pretty much a turkey, especially in comparison the Scott's 1979 original. Such a wide scale in reviews that I've perused to this point.

So I figure if I see it, I'll try to catch a relatively early show on the weekend.

I still feel like the movies should've taken more cues from the fine b/w Dark Horse Aliens comics of the late 1980s/early 1990s. They did really interesting things with Ripley, Hicks and Newt.
Playing
PC
-Helldivers (on Steam)
-Killing Floor 2 (Steam early access)
-Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands (uPlay open beta)

rittchard

I still consider Aliens my all-time favorite movie, it just has everything I want in a movie and more.  It holds up so well over time, the effects still look pretty fantastic compared to today's big budget CGI creations.  But more importantly, the storyline, pacing, script/dialog, characters/acting, and intensity are all just fantastic.

So of course every time another Alien franchise movie came out, I would get my hopes up and then become disappointed one way or another.  Part 3 was like a disrespectful slap in the face when they killed off two of the key characters from Aliens.  It worked OK as a stand-alone movie but was an insult in the framework of the series.  I was so excited (and now disappointed) to hear they might do a sequel that ignored that timeline.

As for Prometheus, I thought it was enjoyable but nothing too special.  At this point I am pretty jaded on any Alien movie concept, particularly any form of prequel.  For me no matter what they do it will pale in comparison to Aliens unless they can take a very different direction. 

The reviews for Covenant sound good so far, so I'll certainly give it a chance, but honestly I have pretty low expectations.

Go Up