http://gamingtrend.com
December 22, 2014, 08:16:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Steam] Weekend Deal(s) Velvet Assasin, Men of War, X3 Terran Conflict  (Read 1126 times)
El-Producto
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: July 24, 2009, 04:47:57 PM »

Velvet Assassin $24.99   Roll Eyes
Men of War $7.99   eek
X3 Terran Conflict $19.99   paranoid

Men of War is a crazy price, I might just pick it up.

"Goonies never say die"
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 05:00:28 PM »

if velvet Assassin was about 10 bucks cheaper I'd hit it.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 06:50:44 PM »

If Velvet Assassin were a console game I'd jump at that price. 

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 06:55:24 PM »

If only I had a decent computer I'd pick up Men of War in a second.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 08:02:22 PM »

I've heard nothing but bad things about Velvet Assassin, so that's off the plate.  Men of War I already bought (and love) off gamersgate during their sale.  What's the word on X3?  Is it worth it?  Does it play well with mouse/keyboard?  Or is a joystick game for the most part?

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 10:51:59 PM »

Tell me more of Men of War...

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009, 10:59:15 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on July 24, 2009, 10:51:59 PM

Meh, another RTS. I haven't even started Universe at War Earth Assault yet.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2009, 12:51:00 AM »

Men of War is the second sequel to one of my all time favorite games, Soldiers: Heroes of WWII.  It's an RTS, yes.  But it's an RTS in the vein of Dawn of War II (minus the RPG elements) and Company of Heroes.  I love this series, despite its sometimes obvious low production values and bad translations.  If you haven't played Soldiers, you can get it cheap off Steam I believe.  But Men of War at that price is absolutely worth it.

Meh, another RTS. I haven't even started Universe at War Earth Assault yet.

night and day.  Universe at War is a standard "build 'em up, send 'em out" RTS, while Men of War is a send 'em out...but make goddamn sure they have cover, ammo, strategic positioning, fire support...etc, etc, etc.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2009, 12:53:45 AM by hepcat » Logged

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2009, 01:02:15 AM »

Quote from: hepcat on July 24, 2009, 08:02:22 PM

I've heard nothing but bad things about Velvet Assassin, so that's off the plate.  Men of War I already bought (and love) off gamersgate during their sale.  What's the word on X3?  Is it worth it?  Does it play well with mouse/keyboard?  Or is a joystick game for the most part?

they may have changed it since the first X-3 release, but it was a beautiful game set in an universe that felt pretty sterile and I got bored after a half hour of 'OMG look at this!'.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2009, 01:06:21 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 25, 2009, 01:02:15 AM

Quote from: hepcat on July 24, 2009, 08:02:22 PM

they may have changed it since the first X-3 release, but it was a beautiful game set in an universe that felt pretty sterile and I got bored after a half hour of 'OMG look at this!'.

'nuff said.  thanks for the warning.

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2009, 05:12:37 PM »

terran conflict actually added a bunch of stuff to spruce up the campaign side of the game, iirc.
X: Terran Conflict is a brand new, stand-alone game set in the universe of X. It is the culmination of the X trilogy, with a grand finale that takes us all the way back to Earth's own solar system. Gamers can take on the roles of different characters in the X universe, or of a Terran military pilot, and experience a multitude of stories in the largest X universe ever featured - for X: Terran Conflict will offer more missions than any other X game before. Meanwhile, X: Terran Conflict will pose questions such as: How has Earth changed in all these years? And how will relations between Earth and its counterparts in the X universe develop?

it also has the same galaxy spanning openness as the previous games, so you can get empire building as well.  i played 2 and 3, but not 3:tc, so it's tempting to get this one just for the sp stuff.

you get to pick different starting roles as well, so you aren't just set loose with no direction.  very much a targeted subset of space sims, but it does what it does very well.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2009, 05:50:30 PM »

I've heard Men of War is crazy challenging/difficult.  True?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
greeneggsnham
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2009, 10:48:08 PM »

Kind of off topic, but is there a version/download for Soldiers that removes the DRM from the game? I have one of the original CD releases of it, but have not installed it on any of my recent pc's due to fear of Starforce. I could always pick up a version from steam/etc but I do already own the game... any options?
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2009, 02:39:15 AM »

Well I picked up Freedom Force 1 and 2 for $7.49 and then Men of War for $7 and $10 for EU:Rome Gold.  I swear I'm never gonna buy a PC game for over $15 again!
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2009, 02:43:18 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on July 25, 2009, 05:50:30 PM

I didn't think it was crazy challenging, but it is challenging at times.  the same could be said for soldiers.  you just need to reload a save game and try a new tactic when you get stumped.

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2009, 05:13:47 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on July 27, 2009, 02:43:18 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on July 25, 2009, 05:50:30 PM

I didn't think it was crazy challenging, but it is challenging at times.  the same could be said for soldiers.  you just need to reload a save game and try a new tactic when you get stumped.

i picked this up during the sale and played a bit.  it definitely looks and feels like s:HoWW2 and that's a great thing in my book.  the difficulty can be quite high if you have never tried one though.  it helps to save before any major action in case you end up getting wiped out.  the first mission has a few spots where you can also do insanely well against larger forces if you play your cards right. 

at one point, i had two MG'ers in a well situated house facing out and loaded down with ammo.  they were supported by the other riflemen and smg's arrayed nearby and for covering fire.  while i took the tank up in manual control (god, that is fun btw) and cleared out the campers, they held their own admirably.  i didn't lose a man and when i rolled up with the tank, they had swapped to their backup weapons.  the pile of bodies all around them was huge. 

in comparison, on a previous attempt, i let their armored car do too much damage and the whole team was wiped out. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: