http://gamingtrend.com
October 31, 2014, 08:58:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Circuit City liquidation]Stores closing for good Sunday, March 8  (Read 5311 times)
Godzilla Blitz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2009, 07:05:54 PM »

Games at the CCs near me are now 50% off, starting today.

I went by over lunch and the place was pretty much cleaned out. What little games were left were mostly overpriced games marked way up before the discount. They still had some scattered good deals though. I saw a half dozen Animal Crossing games for the Wii ($25), a couple dozen Resistance 2 for the PS3 ($30), and a lot of Prince of Persia for the XBox 360 ($30). I also saw Fallout 3 for the PS3. They had a dozen or so 360 Arcade systems for $139 (I think), and some Pros for around $180. There was tons of music game stuff in the store, the vast majority of it Guitar Hero in one form or another.

I only picked up Saints Row 2 for the XBox 360 for $30.

Might be worth a trip if you're looking for a new release, an XBox 360 system, or a crappy game that's way overpriced.

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2009, 10:18:03 PM »

I really wish there were a CC near me. I want to go all vulture on them...

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2009, 10:36:58 PM »

They've left me alone at work now (5:35), so I might stop by one near here shortly. Is anyone looking for any particular game? I'll keep an eye out. If it's a super cheapy, maybe I'll even spread some free post Xmas cheer.  The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 10:38:34 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2009, 05:09:43 AM »

I did stop by a CC. As others noted, things are really slim pickings in the gaming sections at this point. At the one near my office, a good chunk of the store had been fully cleared out and cordoned off like a crime scene. And really at this point, most of the sections are largely full of junk nobody wants.

I took a $10 chance on an interesting if spartan bargain Diablo clone called "Depths of Peril." (http://www.masque.com/cgi-bin/hazel.cgi?action=SERVE&item=dop.htm). But otherwise I just couldn't find anything else worth even a bargain bin price on.

-----------
I'm veering off topic now, but CD and DVD sections are becoming pretty bare at this point too. But if you're into getting TV series or miniseries on DVD, 50% off box sets and the like's a fine deal, and a lot are still available.

There are gobs of off-brand printers available at 50-60% off now. It doesn't seem like digital photo frames are moving even at 50% off, but apparently they don't plan to reduce prices on those any further. Most of the cameras and camcorders were gone, even the display models.

Most memory cards of any appreciable capacity were long gone.

As much as I enjoy "vulturing" as the next guy, I just couldn't help but feel a little sad even if CC was fading into a messy shadow of its former self anyway.  tear

I've already been through this with record stores (Kemp Mill Records, Waxie Maxie, Tower Records, all gone), and various local/regional bookstore chaines pushed out of business by Borders, and Barnes & Noble (both of which are feeling the online squeeze these days). It's like everything I ever once enjoyed shopping at is fading away...
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 05:19:02 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2009, 07:41:14 AM »

I haven't gotten around to trying it, but Depths of Peril is supposed to be pretty good.  You chose wisely.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2009, 04:24:26 PM »

Thanks. It won some obscure Independent Games award, but I don't think most mainstream news sites reviewed it. From what I hear, it can be excruciatingly difficult at times (some quests are timed, for example), but really seems to do some refreshing things around its Diablo-combat motif (reputation, factions etc.):
http://www.soldak.com/Depths-of-Peril/Overview.html

I'll maybe start a thread in the PC games section about it later, if it proves fun to play.  icon_smile If I'd ever run a games store, I would've probably set up a little independent games section, with a couple PCs set up to try them. And... all the kids would've run past it to play Gears of Wars 2. Oh well.  icon_razz

There was so much at CC that I don't think will sell even if they discount them 90%. Kinda sad.

Food Network came out with some "kitchen media player" that plays various "video cookbooks" off of SD cards that you purchase. Not necessarily a bad idea, I just think Circuit City wasn't the place to market that.  icon_confused Why not a grocery store (particularly upscale ones, where they might have money to burn), or a kitchenware store?

If the prices on it drop far enough I might actually get one, just cause the semi-portable media player (it's designed with a little stand to prop up next to your oven range in the kitchen) might actually be kinda useful.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 04:28:45 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2009, 02:35:17 PM »

Speaking of Obscure, I picked it up for PS2 for $12.00.

Even now though I didn't see any worth wild deals. Of course all the gaming systems were gone. They had a couple laptops in stock but they were more expensive than best buy. That's insane for a company going out of business.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2009, 03:18:49 PM »

I picked up Tomb Raider Underworld and Prince of Persia for $30 each and Stranglehold for $10 (all 360). It was a bit depressing going into the store as there is very little left. No DVD players, stereo equipment, cameras or networking stuff. About all they seemed to have was TVs, some DVDs and video games and some random stuff like flash memory. I felt really bad for the person who rang me up because their days must be numbered and they aren't doing a whole lot.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2009, 02:02:12 AM »

They're at 60% off now.  Apparently they're shifting around inventory, too, so there could be new stuff coming into your store.

I just picked up C&C- Red Alert and Kane's Revenge for less than $30 for both.  Sweet.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2009, 02:44:43 PM »

PC Software and console software was pretty much cleaned out yesterday at the local circuit city.

They did however have stacks of guitar hero guitars. GH3 wireless gibsons for $16 and GH2 wired Flying Vs for $8; I picked up four (3 wireless, one wired) since mine are starting to break, and my friend's are absolutely worthless. Felt good walking to the cashier with an excessive amount of stuff no one would ever need
Boudreaux

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 03, 2009, 08:08:26 PM »

Friend of mine snagged a RB2 wireless drumset for me today for $36.  New stuff continues to trickle out at our local stores here. 

XBox Live:  JNacht
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2009, 02:10:13 PM »

I might make one last visit after work today. I don't imagine there's much left at my local ones to pick from, they're at the point of starting to sell off fixtures and display kiosks/shelves etc.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2009, 05:27:47 PM »

According to a Wash. Post article, all Circuit City stores will close for good by Sunday (March 8 ):
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/03/05/AR2009030503605.html

The pickings are probably slim to none at this point, but the discounts are up to 90% fwiw. Apparently the sale actually went better than the liquidators expected, so they're closing up stores about a week earlier than they initially anticipated. My bosses are fleeing to an antique show early today so I think it'll give me some opportunity to swing by.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2009, 04:45:51 AM »

So, my last ever Circuit City purchase was of all things a Prima strategy guide for Far Cry 2. For $2.10, a pretty good discount off the $19.99 msrp I guess.  icon_razz

But basically there's little left to buy. PC Games are 70% off now, but I only saw maybe a half dozen games or so left. If you are dying for Warhammer Online for about $15 (instead of $49.99), you may want to check it out.

If you're dying for a laptop and don't mind having no ability to return/exchange it, there are still quite a few left and a lot of people were frantically looking at them.

I made it a point to look around around the barren store one last time before I left. So long, CC!  tear

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Freezer-TPF-

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 07, 2009, 04:53:00 AM »

I'm tempted to swing by tomorrow, but I have a feeling there will not be any PC games left worth getting.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 07, 2009, 05:02:21 AM »

Stopped by mine today and there was really nothing of interest left. Only thing that was tempting was the Diablo battlechest.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Freezer-TPF-

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2009, 04:51:27 AM »

I stopped by today and boy was it bleak.  Several employees appeared to be playing indoor soccer in the back half of the store. 

I picked up a Far Cry 2 strat guide still in the shrinkwrap for $2.10.  I saw no games whatsoever.  Everything was just all . . . gone.   icon_eek

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2009, 02:52:45 PM »

R.I.P., Circuit City.  tear

I really meant to buy a digital photo frame but I guess I waited about a week too late. They didn't seem willing to drop those and certain other types of things more than 50%.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 26, 2009, 09:32:00 PM »

So, it seems the final word on the liquidation sales comes from an unlikely source  smirk

Best Buy: Circuit City sales drove demand
http://www.reuters.com/article/ousiv/idUSTRE52P69C20090326
"When there's an event like the Circuit [City] going-out-of-business sale, it absolutely draws attention to the categories and gets customers out, looking and interested," said Brian Dunn, who will become Best Buy's CEO in June.

When asked if that means that its current-quarter results will be hurt after shoppers spent money on electronics in its fourth quarter, which ended February 28, Dunn said: "The truth of the matter is it's unclear."

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: