http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 02:27:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [beamdog.com] Precursors for 7.49  (Read 789 times)
hepcat
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« on: March 25, 2011, 04:02:19 PM »

I hadn't heard of this game until recently.  It gets pretty awful reviews but it also seems to be one of those games that some folks absolutely love for the scope and breadth.

It's almost 7 gigs in download size, but beamdog's download client is pretty fast usually (and lean, thankfully).

Gonna give it a go tonight. 

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 04:06:46 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on March 25, 2011, 04:02:19 PM

probably because no one shops there  Tongue

I'll probably grab this, been eyeing it at Gamersgate but I hear the game got cut in half with an abrupt ending for the first part and there is no word on part 2.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 07:35:14 PM »

I almost paid the full $30, so I'm definitely in on this.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 10:04:13 PM »

also, unlike White Gold I hope they remembered to include the sound effects in this one  icon_twisted

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 11:49:49 PM »

Holy Crap.  I didn't even know any of Deep Shadows games after Boiling point were available in the US. I know nothing about Beamdog, though.  

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
Creepy_Smell

Load"*",8,1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 03:03:28 AM »

hmm..been eyeing precursors cause I love overly ambitious yet buggy foreign games. Under $10 so I cant not buy it! smile (Its my steam sale/target secret shelf cave price).

rpgwatch has a semi active precursors & white gold forum for these games too.

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2011, 04:29:04 AM »

already downloaded xenus 2, but it was in no way a fast download.  i don't expect it to be done any time soon.

interesting.  i opened the beamdog client and it alerted me that an update was out for xenus 2.  maybe it will help with the sound effects.

well, nevermind that earlier part.  it's coming down at a solid 1.5 mb/s and estimates just under an hour.  we shall see i guess.

Giles Habibula
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2011, 04:37:53 AM »

Quote from: Big Jake on March 25, 2011, 11:49:49 PM

Holy Crap.  I didn't even know any of Deep Shadows games after Boiling point were available in the US. I know nothing about Beamdog, though.  
I've used Beamdog to get White Gold on the big sale last week, and now Precursors tonight and it worked slick. Very small and unobtrusive client. Both games work without fuss even with my ethernet cable unhooked (I tested this first thing with both games)--no nag screen, nothing. The game just starts.

White Gold I think was 3.7 gigs, and I had it in 35 minutes.
Precursors was 6.2 gigs, and I had it in less than an hour tonight.

White Gold required no additional DRM beyond Beamdog that I could tell.
Precursors however, has a serial number, and a 3 activation limit, with revokes. Normally I don't like this (or any online activation for SP games), because I buy far too many games and install them on too many various computers to try and keep track of which games on which of my computers might require a revoke. But for this price, I'm willing to put up with it. And my curiosity about the game has been killing me for months now.
Giles Habibula
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2011, 04:42:55 AM »

Quote from: Caine on March 26, 2011, 04:29:04 AM

interesting.  i opened the beamdog client and it alerted me that an update was out for xenus 2.  maybe it will help with the sound effects.

On the Beamdog forums, the Beamdog guys put a post up saying they had got permission to get the ATi anti-flicker patch integrated into the game, so that is what you're seeing. They also said they are going to look into integrating some other patches into the game, but are not sure of legal liability for 3rd party patches, so they're going to attempt to research it.
Giles Habibula
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2011, 04:53:28 AM »

Post #14 in this thread contains the sound fix for Xenus 2: White Gold. Download both files, and simply unrar them into the game's root directory. (The two files are part 1 and part 2 of the same thing, so just unrar the first, and it'll automatically do the second). Worked fine for my White Gold sound problems.

I hear the Precursors sound fix is similar, but I haven't got around to looking that one up yet.
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2011, 04:24:05 PM »

Never heard of Beamdog until today.  I bought Precursors and it's downloading now; the client is managing 1.37 MB/s right now (with "turbo mode" on) so that isn't bad, I reckon I'll have the game in about an hour.

By the way, I encountered a bug with the client and reported it to Beamdog, and they replied 90 minutes later.  On a Saturday.  Impressive!

Edited to add: I successfully applied coupon code SURVEY15OFF to get a 15% discount on an already very cheap game (can't find it for less than 20 anywhere else).  Apparently the code only works once per account.

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2011, 03:53:24 AM »

Interesting:

Quote from: Beamdog
OH NO! Beamdog has sold SO MANY COPIES of The Precursors that we've run out of serial numbers from the publisher! We expect to get more on Monday, but that means nobody can take advantage of our sweet sale!

So how about this - we're going to EXTEND the sale when we get more keys! Fret not, noble Beamdoggers - you won't be left behind!

In the meantime, if you feel like you've been slighted by our lack of foresight, contact [email protected] and we'll do our best to make you happy as a clam (Clams being the happiest of sea creatures.).

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2011, 04:11:37 AM »

Quote from: Giles Habibula on March 26, 2011, 04:53:28 AM

Post #14 in this thread contains the sound fix for Xenus 2: White Gold. Download both files, and simply unrar them into the game's root directory. (The two files are part 1 and part 2 of the same thing, so just unrar the first, and it'll automatically do the second). Worked fine for my White Gold sound problems.

I hear the Precursors sound fix is similar, but I haven't got around to looking that one up yet.
fan patch for translation

haven't tried the patch as i didn't get the sound bug.

i did however get horrible frame drops once i made it to the first starport and saw outside the walls.  hoping i can tweak it.

as for the game, it's so much like xenus 2 in the gameplay department i was not surprised when it was revealed there run on the same engine. 

Giles Habibula
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2011, 10:46:32 AM »

Quote from: Caine on March 27, 2011, 04:11:37 AM

Thanks Caine for that link!
greeneggsnham
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2011, 04:07:35 AM »

How is the ship combat in the game? Some of the reviews I've seen kinda slammed it...
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2011, 05:26:17 AM »

There's some great dialogue in this game -

"Imagine yourself ten times bigger.  That's a crap!"
"If you visit the Empire, you would know what is a spaceport, stupid ass!"
"Go on, spew your guts."   icon_biggrin

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: