After a a few hours with the DS Lite (my first handheld ever) I commented:
So far I'm enjoying it, but I'm not BLOWN away.
Somewhere else I wrote:
I give it 8 Marios out of 10.
Now five days later, what are my thoughts? Well read on.
My initial reaction to the DS Lite was tempered with:
A: The fact that the first one I pulled out of the box had a dead pixel.
B: I had received what I then considered considerable bad news in the RL.
Since then I have:
A: Opened the 2nd one I bought and had it work fine.
B: Allowed a cooler head and praying heart prevail.
That said, what does this Ninten00b think?
Games Played:New Super Mario Bros:
So far it is a 10/10 for me. It's decidedly retro and as far as I'm concerned very innovative- of course I haven't played any Super Mario anything in about 15 years. I love the mini games tooMario Kart
Though I wish snaking was so mandatory to win WFC games, I still enjoy the experience and like the single player. WFC games will significantly up the replay value and just today as I sat getting my oil changed I found an unsecured wifi network and played 2 quick matches (losing both terribly). Initial take: 8/10Brain Age
Got this tonight and did the first day's worth of training. The demo really got me hot as it didn't understand my 'blue' but the full version seems to work fine. My brain age: 49 (I'm 31). I like it, but we'll see if it has staying power. Initial take: 8/10Big Brain Academy
Got this also tonight with the buy 2 for 30 at TRU. I like the exercises but I can see myself running out of gas on this one pretty quickly as it doesn't have any long term charting or graphs. For 15.00 though, I'm fine with it. Initial take: 7/10
As for the overall DS, consider me smitten. I up the Mario count to a solid 9.5/10. My minor gripes are:
1. Doesn't include one of those bagged cleaning cloths with it and I don't want to buy one of those stupid starter kits
2. The earphone jack is in entirely the wrong place. It should definitely be in the back center
3. It could be that I'm not used to playing with the Lite's configuration of buttons/screen, but it has made my hands and forearms a little bit unfcomfortable.
4. The health warning must be clicked through at every start up. Is this true if you put it into auto start as well?
5. First one I bought had a dead pixel. When will this one get its first?
6. The case I bought
doesn't store the charger plug in it. It's a good charge and go case but that's it. Still, it's my fault, but it is part of the overall experience for me.
1. Compact design
2. Great screen brightness
3. I actually am taking it places to play it- something I never thought I'd do short of a business trip
4. The sound is much more impressive than I thought it would be
5. My inital game purchases have featured some great variety and I still have Meteos and Advance Wars waiting in the wings
6. My daughter loves to play the Whack a Mole mini game in NSMB
7. Nintendo, baby! Nintendo!
8. There are quite a few games I've found that I'd like to buy once I knock some of the ones I have out.
9. Can't wait to get up and train my brain tomorrow
10. The cost. It may be the best 130.00 I've ever spent.
11. It has me totally enamored of gaming again.