http://gamingtrend.com
July 26, 2014, 03:27:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Zero Escape (999 sequel) [3DS/Vita]  (Read 1228 times)
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« on: October 12, 2012, 02:31:42 PM »

Thought we had a topic for this, but don't see it. This is the sequel to the epically awesome 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors (on DS). Anybody unfamiliar with the the first, it is a visual novel more than anything, but does have a decent amount of puzzle solving and gameplay (in contrast with a game like Time Hollow, which was very good, but light in the "game" department). Zero Escape is due on October 23rd, and is listed as "Zero's Escape" if you happen to go looking for it at GameStop. Like any Aksys release, this will probably be difficult to find after launch. If you haven't played 999, I strongly recommend finding a copy if the idea of an interactive story sounds appealing to you.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 11:12:15 PM by Misguided » Logged

Ruining language with my terrible words.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 05:26:39 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on October 12, 2012, 02:31:42 PM

Thought we had a topic for this, but don't see it. This is the sequel to the epically awesome 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors (on DS). Anybody unfamiliar with the the first, it is a visual novel more than anything, but does have a decent amount of puzzle solving and gameplay (in contrast with a game like Time Hollow, which was very good, but light in the "game" department). Zero Escape is due on October 23rd, and is listed as "Zero's Escape" if you happen to go looking for it at GameStop. Like any Aksys release, this will probably be difficult to find after launch. If you haven't played 999, I strongly recommend finding a copy if the idea of an interactive story sounds appealing to you.

I played the original and loved it.  Probably going to pick this up on Vita because of the nicer screen.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 11:12:56 PM »

Didn't realize it was coming out on Vita. I added that to the thread title.

Quote from: The Grue on October 12, 2012, 05:26:39 PM

I played the original and loved it.  Probably going to pick this up on Vita because of the nicer screen.

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2012, 03:55:37 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on October 12, 2012, 11:12:56 PM

Didn't realize it was coming out on Vita. I added that to the thread title.

Quote from: The Grue on October 12, 2012, 05:26:39 PM

I didn't, either, until they had a demo for it last week.  I played it and was intrigued.

Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 09:19:06 AM »

This game is exceptional. If you enjoyed 999, you simply must purchase Zero Escape. So far I'm enjoying it as much as the first title, and the production values are much higher. It is a brilliant addition to the Vita library.

I tried the 3DS and Vita version. The Vita version is superior. You also avoid the game-killing bugs found in the 3DS version, that corrupt your save file.

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2012, 10:57:53 AM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on October 27, 2012, 09:19:06 AM

I tried the 3DS and Vita version. The Vita version is superior. You also avoid the game-killing bugs found in the 3DS version, that corrupt your save file.

It sucks that they allowed such a thing into the game, but it looks like it can be avoided by not saving in puzzle rooms.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 04:34:36 PM »

Oh crap, I had not heard about this. I haven't encountered it yet. I haven't gotten that far and am already stuck in the first room past the elevator (lounge/magenta; I got the file code but not sure what I need to do next).

Otherwise, I'm in agreement with Dante. The production values are great. I did think that the logic was erroneous on one of the puzzles in the lounge, but it was a minor thing.

Spoiler for Hiden:
you reconstruct what happened from the bartender's POV, therefore the left and right should have been opposite from the answer, IMO

Very curious to see what else is going to happen.

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2012, 10:26:40 PM »

Wow, I can't believe I'm stuck right at the beginning in the dang elevator. Can someone give me a nudge on what in the heck I should be doing with the row of number buttons? I know I'm supposed to look at the poster and count the babys and old folks but then I draws me a blank.  retard

I know I'm gonna kick myself but just not getting it... thanks.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2012, 11:32:42 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on October 28, 2012, 10:26:40 PM

I know I'm gonna kick myself but just not getting it... thanks.

Spoiler for Hiden:
there are three groups in the poster and three sets of numbers

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2012, 05:42:29 AM »

Thanks... got it.  thumbsup

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2012, 10:23:45 PM »

You know, on a separate note, this 3DS bug, in combination with the 3DS hardware tendency to lock up when you put the damned thing to sleep is really annoying.

I really thought Nintendo was going to get that fixed in a system update or something, but I guess they never have. Does failure to wake from sleep happen on newer units, or only the early ones?

Back on topic, I am enjoying the game a lot, much like the first. My being stuck was no more than having missed an item on a shelf hiding behind another object.

Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2012, 11:18:22 PM »

So what's the best way for a non-DS owner to catch up on the first game? Youtube? Story recaps online? Any non-DS version? Or do I just have to find someone to borrow it from?

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2012, 05:50:22 PM »

I would play it yourself, personally, if that's a possibility.

Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2012, 05:38:09 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on October 31, 2012, 10:23:45 PM

You know, on a separate note, this 3DS bug, in combination with the 3DS hardware tendency to lock up when you put the damned thing to sleep is really annoying.

I really thought Nintendo was going to get that fixed in a system update or something, but I guess they never have. Does failure to wake from sleep happen on newer units, or only the early ones?

Back on topic, I am enjoying the game a lot, much like the first. My being stuck was no more than having missed an item on a shelf hiding behind another object.

I don't want to jinx this, but I've never had my 3ds fail to resume after sleep. For the record its a original 3ds bought about a year ago.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2012, 06:39:31 PM »

Harpua, it may have been something hardware-related that was fixed, but if I haven't picked mine up in a few days, I can guarantee it won't wake up. I saw it suggested somewhere that disabling wifi might help. Honestly, I haven't used mine enough to care. I guess it must not be widespread anymore or more people would complain about it, but it was an issue on early devices.

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2012, 07:24:27 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on November 02, 2012, 06:39:31 PM

Harpua, it may have been something hardware-related that was fixed, but if I haven't picked mine up in a few days, I can guarantee it won't wake up. I saw it suggested somewhere that disabling wifi might help. Honestly, I haven't used mine enough to care. I guess it must not be widespread anymore or more people would complain about it, but it was an issue on early devices.

I had a launch device and then the Zelda-skinned 3DS and both of them would have the problem, but it wasn't too often.  I now have a 3DS XL and I've had it happen once, I think.  So, I think it can happen on any version of the hardware.

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2012, 07:35:02 PM »

Appreciate the input. I had briefly considered trading to an XL, but like I said before, I have barely used it until this past week. Even less tempting if that occurs on newer hardware. They've known about this issue for a long time, I don't understand why it hasn't been fixed.

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2012, 07:37:26 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on November 02, 2012, 07:35:02 PM

Appreciate the input. I had briefly considered trading to an XL, but like I said before, I have barely used it until this past week. Even less tempting if that occurs on newer hardware. They've known about this issue for a long time, I don't understand why it hasn't been fixed.

If it is any consolation, it can happen on my Vita as well.  So I guess Nintendo isn't the only company who can't get this right. slywink

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2012, 04:20:36 PM »

Anybody else playing? I'm about 28 hours in, having hit two of the "named" endings (the ones that show up as question marks on your save data and having only managed to escape the building once so far.

I'm not entirely sold on the story...I've had a couple of "yeah, but" moments, but it is certainly interesting. The puzzle rooms have been really good. There have been a number of occasions where I was sure I was at a dead end or had missed a clue, then was able to figure it out, which is the mark of a good puzzle, IMO.

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2012, 04:41:00 AM »

In case anyone cares at some point down the road, in the final analysis, Zero Escape is good, but doesn't match the brilliance of the original (999) for me. There are too many endings, and they are inter-related in a way that to get to some of the more interesting ones, you have to trudge through others that you might not want to pursue (you might have to make major choices you don't like, just to gain access to other endings). Because there are so many endings, many parts of which are different enough you can't auto skip them, it takes a long time to see all the Interesting endings...much more than the first game. Most of the puzzle rooms are great, but there are a couple that I found more annoying than clever or challenging. There was also a major plot point on one of the "named" endings (there are 9 of these) that was so completely idiotic I was shocked...and this is considering how much suspension of disbelief is already required... (Not really a spoiler but:)
Spoiler for Hiden:
it had to do with tin foil

I would recommend Zero Escape to people that loved 999. For those that haven't played the original and have any interest in graphic novels/room escapes it is fantastic. Then you can decide whether you want to give this one a shot.

Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2012, 05:55:15 AM »

Quote from: Misguided on November 02, 2012, 06:39:31 PM

I may have not noticed it either bc I really only play Mario kart 7 on it, and really don't use sleep that much.
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2012, 06:08:16 PM »

I got this on my Vita thanks to a gift card. I'm about 4 hours in and the game is really hard to put down. I didn't play the original but I'm really getting a kick out of this game.

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2012, 09:42:33 PM »

Cool. If you have any questions, let me know.

jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2013, 10:21:09 AM »

i know this isn't the main topic, but I recently picked up 999 after hearing patrick from GB talk about it.

I made the choice. I have not stopped playing this game all weekend up til today. It's amazing. About to get the true ending, but I think I figured it out already after the bad ending. Still lots of cool twists I didn't see coming though.

Now im tempted to get a vita for the sequel and p4 golden alone. hopefully it hits 150-200 soon.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2013, 01:45:11 PM »

It was 199 around Black Friday!!!! You missed the boat so to speak I believe. There will be a price drop at some point I'm sure though. Just not for awhile..
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2013, 10:26:28 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on January 03, 2013, 10:21:09 AM

i know this isn't the main topic, but I recently picked up 999 after hearing patrick from GB talk about it.

I made the choice. I have not stopped playing this game all weekend up til today. It's amazing. About to get the true ending, but I think I figured it out already after the bad ending. Still lots of cool twists I didn't see coming though.

Now im tempted to get a vita for the sequel and p4 golden alone. hopefully it hits 150-200 soon.

how about 210?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2013, 10:56:05 AM »

Quote from: Harpua3 on January 03, 2013, 01:45:11 PM

It was 199 around Black Friday!!!! You missed the boat so to speak I believe. There will be a price drop at some point I'm sure though. Just not for awhile..

i know, i almost bit, but i had no idea about 999 and i already beat persona 4 years ago. so it wasn't a high priority. i was also saving money for the steam sale, that i spent a whole 10 bucks on. what a let down.

well my ideas were sorta right on 999, at least on zero, just not the reason why.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2013, 03:24:38 AM »

Quote from: jersoc on January 09, 2013, 10:56:05 AM

Quote from: Harpua3 on January 03, 2013, 01:45:11 PM

i know, i almost bit, but i had no idea about 999 and i already beat persona 4 years ago. so it wasn't a high priority. i was also saving money for the steam sale, that i spent a whole 10 bucks on. what a let down.

well my ideas were sorta right on 999, at least on zero, just not the reason why.

Gotcha. There will be a price cut this year and before that maybe even a bundle. It IMHO is so worth it. I'm still loving the system.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: