http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 09:17:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why aren't there "LEGO: etc" games on Android  (Read 1032 times)
farley2k
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 07, 2013, 04:14:09 PM »

With LEGO: Lord of the Rings coming out this week on ios I went hunting for some of the games on android and came up blank.  Apparently none of them (LoTR, Harry Potter, etc) are on android.  Has anyone ever heard of a reason why not?

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 04:26:38 PM »

I think it's because generally, developing for Android is a pain in the ass.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 08:06:45 PM »

I am not a programer so I don't have a clue I just know that most stuff seems to come out for both OSes.  It is a bit disappointing too but I probably have too much stuff to play anway.

Oh and I am watching Assasins Creed 4 videos on Youtube so I sense even more of a backlog!  smile

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 08:19:30 PM »

Since I'm considering trying my hand at mobile development, I've read up a bunch on the topic.  To vastly oversimplify the issues, the biggest problem is that there are so many different kinds of Android devices that it's more like developing for the PC.  The iOS ecosystem is gaining more and more variants, but for the most part it's like developing for consoles where you have a set number of device types to account for.

Another big aspect is that Android users seem much more reluctant to part with their money.  For whatever reason, paid apps don't sell nearly as well (generally) on Android than they do on iOS. 
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 08:27:15 PM »

Are the Lego games on iOS any good?  I saw LotR was out today and wondered if I should get it.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 08:58:20 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 07, 2013, 08:27:15 PM

Are the Lego games on iOS any good?  I saw LotR was out today and wondered if I should get it.

Wish I could answer that, but wanted to an add me too. I generally don't like games with virtual joystick controls. Is that the way this works?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 09:02:44 PM by Lee » Logged
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 09:28:37 PM »

Quote from: Lee on November 07, 2013, 08:58:20 PM

Quote from: leo8877 on November 07, 2013, 08:27:15 PM

Are the Lego games on iOS any good?  I saw LotR was out today and wondered if I should get it.

Wish I could answer that, but wanted to an add me too. I generally don't like games with virtual joystick controls. Is that the way this works?

I have only played the Lego: Harry Potter games but they were very good.  Funny, interesting, and well done.

There is no virtual joystick just tap and walk (at least in the HP games)

Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 09:48:35 PM »

I'm tempted to pick up LEGO Batman: DC Super Heroes for the iPad.  Has anyone played that--can you get by fine without additional IAP?

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2013, 11:18:20 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on November 07, 2013, 08:19:30 PM

Since I'm considering trying my hand at mobile development, I've read up a bunch on the topic.  To vastly oversimplify the issues, the biggest problem is that there are so many different kinds of Android devices that it's more like developing for the PC.  The iOS ecosystem is gaining more and more variants, but for the most part it's like developing for consoles where you have a set number of device types to account for.

Another big aspect is that Android users seem much more reluctant to part with their money.  For whatever reason, paid apps don't sell nearly as well (generally) on Android than they do on iOS. 

it also creates something of a negative feedback loop.  when android users see ports of games from ios that come off as buggy it makes us a little less likely to buy another. 

I do think that piracy is a much bigger problem facing android though as it's incredibly easy to share games. 

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2013, 12:52:11 AM »

Quote from: Caine on November 07, 2013, 11:18:20 PM

it also creates something of a negative feedback loop.  when android users see ports of games from ios that come off as buggy it makes us a little less likely to buy another. 

Those ports often also come months later, so it has the same problem as late/bad ports on the PC do which results in fewer sales as well: the shininess and desire has worn off, people may have already played them elsewhere, it doesn't run as well as is should, some people feel burned enough to have just pirated it, etc.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: