http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 11:13:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What's everyone's Vita usage like these days?  (Read 1463 times)
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 31, 2012, 10:47:55 PM »

Discussion has died down considerably since launch, and there is rarely any Vita related news on gaming sites. For the most part, the buzz died as quick as it came.

That being said, are you guys still playing your Vita? What are your thoughts after the glitz and glamour of launch has faded?

I still use it as much as ever. Still working my way through Rayman Origins and Lunar: Silver Star, with a round of Lumines occasionally. I usually play during my train ride to work, and for 10-15 minutes on my lunch break. I used it a lot on my flight to and from Mexico. All in all, I still love the device. Although, I have turned off the background music.

I am growing concerned with the future, though, and have high hope that E3 will offer a new jolt of excitement for the system. 

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 11:10:55 PM »

I'm still playing mine as well (though less this week with the new Ridge Racer: Unbounded out). 

The funny thing is that I've been using it more for downloadable games than anything from retail.  In fact, last weekend I just downloaded the PSP game Driver '76 that I never got to play on my actual PSP.  I would be happy for now if they can keep releasing quality downloadable titles like Mutant Blobs Attack for decent prices.

I'm definitely worried about the Vita's future in the light of Sony closing Zipper after Unit 13 shipped and cancelling Warrior's Lair from Idol Minds.  I'm also hoping we hear some good news at E3, but not holding my breath.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 12:05:00 AM »

Haven't turned mine on in a few weeks now, and am seriously considering trying to sell it before any price drops.  I can always re-buy one later if some games I'm interested in actually come out.

Didn't even take it on my week-long road trip last week.  The new games on my iPad interested me far more than anything on Vita.  frown

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 04:56:55 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on April 01, 2012, 12:05:00 AM

Haven't turned mine on in a few weeks now, and am seriously considering trying to sell it before any price drops.  I can always re-buy one later if some games I'm interested in actually come out.

Didn't even take it on my week-long road trip last week.  The new games on my iPad interested me far more than anything on Vita.  frown

Maybe it's just me but.. It's only been out just 2 months!!! I don't get why you would drop 300 and give up in 2 months? I'm still in the positive mindset with the vita. Not only that I think thus far it's been a great device. I still have lots of things on it to keep me interested...Rayman,Uncharted, hotshots, wipeout, motorstorm, superstar dust...infact I'm thinking of playing something
On it... And I can't make my mind up. Maybe it's just me;).
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 04:58:37 AM by Harpua3 » Logged
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 05:33:18 AM »

Still playing as much as any other system right now.

Time's been tight, but plowing through Rayman and Unchrted whenever I get a chance.

Releases have died down a bit too, so I'm sure that's contributing to the lack of talk.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 05:54:43 AM »

Quote from: Harpua3 on April 01, 2012, 04:56:55 AM

Quote from: Gratch on April 01, 2012, 12:05:00 AM

Haven't turned mine on in a few weeks now, and am seriously considering trying to sell it before any price drops.  I can always re-buy one later if some games I'm interested in actually come out.

Didn't even take it on my week-long road trip last week.  The new games on my iPad interested me far more than anything on Vita.  frown

Maybe it's just me but.. It's only been out just 2 months!!! I don't get why you would drop 300 and give up in 2 months?

The two games that i thought I'd be really gung-ho about both fell completely flat for me (Uncharted and Shinobido 2), the one upcoming game that I really wanted just got cancelled, and there's simply nothing on the horizon that looks interesting to me at all.  I'll likely pick one up again down the road if the library gets better, but I'd rather recoup some of the loss at this point than keep it as the most expensive paperweight in the world for months on end hoping that something decent comes out.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2012, 11:17:17 AM »

The Vita launch and Mass Effect 3 made me burn out on gaming temporarily, so I haven't really used the Vita for a few weeks. It's not the Vita's fault, and it's sitting right next to my keyboard for when I feel like gaming again.
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2012, 12:13:06 PM »

I'm still playing it quite a bit, and don't expect that my purchase of the price-dropped Persona3 is going to reduce that at all.  I still have a backlog of stuff on it I haven't even touched as well (hello, Rayman).

It gets far more use than my 3DS did at a similar point in its life, and currently is my #2 gaming device behind the PC (I'm a bit hooked on Football Manager at the moment).

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2012, 03:37:01 PM »

I'm spending more time with cheap PSP games than the Vita stuff itself.  I transfered a bunch of saves and am happy to be playing them again (Lunar is one for me, too, though I had that digitally already).

If anyone knows why my old Daxter saves aren't loading on the new system, I'd love to hear it.  That's bugging the crap out of me.  The saves worked fine when I went from a PSP1000 to a PSP3000.

I, too, am really bummed about the bleak outlook for the rest of the year, game-wise.  E3 will have some revitalization, I'm sure.  Hopefully, it'll be enough.

The fact that it's only been two months, and the talk has all but died on it already isn't good.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2012, 04:20:13 PM »

Haven't had time for it, but that's mostly because I've been spending those hours on work and developing my app. I've played a few more games of MLB while waiting in line at the DMV, eye doctors office, etc, though.

Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2012, 04:19:25 AM »

Hotshots is still mad fun. After posting that last night, a buddy and I played online for hrs! Good stuff!
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2012, 02:04:42 PM »

I finally checked out the Vita at a kiosk and my primary takeaway impression is that the load times are unbearable. 

"Ooh, the screen really does look great!"
"Ooh, it's very slick being able to use a touch interface for menus!"
"d-pad is a little mushy, but the buttons and analog sticks seem great!"
"Ok, let's try a game!"
<Loading: 20%>
<Loading: 24%>
"Ok I'm done!"
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2012, 02:13:39 PM »

A couple of them are brutal (Wipeout, I'm looking at you), but most games seem to load just fine.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2012, 02:24:00 PM »

The Vita really is no different in load times than a regular PS3. Some games have barely any loading at all, while others load for a minute if you look at the screen wrong (Dungeon Hunter!).
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2012, 02:56:21 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on April 02, 2012, 02:13:39 PM

A couple of them are brutal (Wipeout, I'm looking at you), but most games seem to load just fine.

Wipeout was what I was attempting to play (seemed like it'd be a good eye candy demo).  Good to know they're not all that bad. 
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2012, 03:03:06 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on April 02, 2012, 02:56:21 PM

Quote from: Gratch on April 02, 2012, 02:13:39 PM

Wipeout was what I was attempting to play (seemed like it'd be a good eye candy demo).  Good to know they're not all that bad. 

Wipeout is also better since they patched it and on the actual version, not the demo.  Still one of the longest loads, though.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2012, 07:09:45 PM »

I discovered I can comfortably place my Vita in the breast pocket of my coats... I barely even notice the thing is there. This changes everything  icon_cool

Sean Lama
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2012, 07:24:54 PM »

Coats?  It's April!  It's been in high 70s for days!  Tongue

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2012, 11:56:03 PM »

If I had one I'd be pretty excited about Disgaea 3...
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2012, 02:58:38 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on April 07, 2012, 07:09:45 PM

I discovered I can comfortably place my Vita in the breast pocket of my coats... I barely even notice the thing is there. This changes everything  icon_cool

He said "breast" icon_lol. Still loving vita. I recently picked up escape plan. Good fun for 15.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2012, 08:58:45 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on April 07, 2012, 07:24:54 PM

Coats?  It's April!  It's been in high 70s for days!  Tongue

I live in San Francisco... The weather is almost always dreary so I'm typically wearing a coat.

Sean Lama
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2012, 06:29:25 PM »

I'm really getting into that escape plan now that I've played more of it. Interesting take on the puzzle genre.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2012, 08:20:25 PM »

Mine is pretty unused right now.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2012, 08:24:56 PM »

I need to get back to mine - I got kind of distracted by my new ipad. Plus May/June has Resistance Vita and Gravity Rush, both of which I am very interested in.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2012, 07:35:16 AM »

Thinking about getting MLB on this tomorrow, or well today. Any good? Anyone? Btw, 7 games and counting...loving the vita.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2012, 07:42:34 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on April 10, 2012, 08:24:56 PM

I need to get back to mine - I got kind of distracted by my new ipad. Plus May/June has Resistance Vita and Gravity Rush, both of which I am very interested in.

Same here....but I have been playing quite a bit of Pinball Arcade and that free Treasures of Montezuma game. smile

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
jament
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2012, 03:55:12 PM »

I've been playing a ton of FIFA - love the rear touch panel integration for shooting - and MLB: The Show. Both are just great sports games and have to be the best on a portable system. But the PSP was also a great platform for mobile sports gaming as well.

MLB has all the modes you could want. Franchise, where you can run a fantasy draft or use updated rosters, Season, Road to the Show. You can choose from three different pitching methods (meter, pulse, analog) and several batting methods so it seems like anyone could find a comfortable way of playing.

My hands do cramp some when playing FIFA because I'm always trying to keep my fingers off the back panel until I'm shooting, so I'm looking for some of those grips to help.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2012, 05:27:06 PM »

Have you seen the newish videos of resistance? Looking pretty good..
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2012, 03:31:17 PM »

Quote from: Harpua3 on April 16, 2012, 05:27:06 PM

Have you seen the newish videos of resistance? Looking pretty good..

I've seen very little of it at all, just figured a real Resistance game on the handheld should be fun. I need to get around to playing R3 though!

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2012, 06:58:22 AM »

I just picked up a 32 gb card... Well, a week ago it was. After that big update for escape plan
and my downloadable game fondness. The 4 gb stick was almost full. I knew that would the case, just not so soon. I only bought the 4 gb because it was the only option and I knew I couldn't bring the system home and NOT play a game until the next day...so I should be set on storage now;).
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2012, 01:14:35 PM »

Quote from: Harpua3 on April 18, 2012, 06:58:22 AM

I just picked up a 32 gb card... Well, a week ago it was. After that big update for escape plan
and my downloadable game fondness. The 4 gb stick was almost full. I knew that would the case, just not so soon. I only bought the 4 gb because it was the only option and I knew I couldn't bring the system home and NOT play a game until the next day...so I should be set on storage now;).

I went through the same thing a little while ago. The 4GB card came with the bundle and I started off using it. Switched it out with a 32GB card later and it didn't work quite the way I thought it would. Did a full backup of the Vita to my PC, swapped cards and then restored the image. I don't recall the exact specifics, I think any games I had on physical media were not shown until I inserted them again, one by one. All trophies were gone, no longer listed. It wasn't until I played (or at least started) each one again that it did two or three things - the 'desktop' icon came back for games on media, it send out a message that I was playing the game "for the first time" again and then any earned trophies showed up again. Lather, rinse, repeat.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2012, 03:21:43 PM »

Now that Disgaea 3 is out I expect my dust covered Vita to get some use. It's installed but I only had time to play a few missions last night.

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2012, 04:02:16 PM »

Quote from: Crusis on April 18, 2012, 03:21:43 PM

Now that Disgaea 3 is out I expect my dust covered Vita to get some use. It's installed but I only had time to play a few missions last night.

This will probably be my next Vita game, but between Xenoblade, Chaos Rings II, and the impending Diablo 3 release, there really isn't any hurry.  I barely have any gaming time as it is...certainly don't have time for another big time-sink RPG at the moment.

Doubt the Vita will even get turned on before I start Disgaea 3 in a few months.  frown

Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2012, 05:08:45 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on April 18, 2012, 01:14:35 PM

Quote from: Harpua3 on April 18, 2012, 06:58:22 AM

I went through the same thing a little while ago. The 4GB card came with the bundle and I started off using it. Switched it out with a 32GB card later and it didn't work quite the way I thought it would. Did a full backup of the Vita to my PC, swapped cards and then restored the image. I don't recall the exact specifics, I think any games I had on physical media were not shown until I inserted them again, one by one. All trophies were gone, no longer listed. It wasn't until I played (or at least started) each one again that it did two or three things - the 'desktop' icon came back for games on media, it send out a message that I was playing the game "for the first time" again and then any earned trophies showed up again. Lather, rinse, repeat.

I did it through the ps3. It carried everything over. Saves, settings, patches, and yes trophies. It did not put everything as far as icons back in their place. Everything was just thrown on in a wierd order. Also, my trophies didn't appear under "vita" section until I played them again, but they were still under " psn"section of trophies. And no progress of trophies was lost...I would think the pc transfer would do the same...odd...
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 05:10:19 PM by Harpua3 » Logged
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2012, 01:08:54 PM »

My Vita use has trended upwards significantly since I snagged Final Fantasy Tactics. I dare say that between that and some RPGs on the PSP that I never played, I should comfortably survive the current release drought.

Anyone know whether starting with Disgaea 3 or Persona 3 in their series would be a bad idea? Or are they pretty much standalones?

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2012, 02:30:02 PM »

Standalone

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: