http://gamingtrend.com
September 19, 2014, 03:59:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Unchained Blades - finally a JRPG for the handhelds!  (Read 1146 times)
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 28, 2012, 07:00:06 PM »

As reported on the front page, Unchained Blades is coming to 3DS and PSP (and hopefully by extension, the Vita) some time this year. I haven't researched into how well the game was received in Japan, but it's got people from the Lunar and Grandia working on it and some unique gameplay features.

As of now, I'm stoked for this...

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 07:50:34 PM »

Doesn't XSEED have Victor Ireland, man of former Working Designs fame, behind it? Or did I get him completely confused with someone else?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 09:26:38 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on March 28, 2012, 07:50:34 PM

Doesn't XSEED have Victor Ireland, man of former Working Designs fame, behind it? Or did I get him completely confused with someone else?

No, Ireland is with Gaijinworks and even had something of a feud with XSeed over at NeoGAF.  Speaking of Gaijinworks, they've got their own dungeon crawling RPG coming to the PSP and PS3 in the form of Class of Heroes 2.  They're even doing a Kickstarter to fund a physical release of the game and may do more kickstarter localizations in the future.

Speaking of Unchained Blades, there are some screenshots here.  It's also interesting that this will be a full game download on the 3DS, which might pave the way for future niche games like this to get released in digital form.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 09:29:33 PM by EddieA » Logged

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 03:19:41 PM »

I am so all over this. With Unchained Blades, Grimrock, and Etrian Odyssey 4 coming out this year it should be a good year for dungeon crawlers.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 09:50:35 PM »

The game is coming to PSP on June 26 for $29.99.  The release date for the 3DS version has yet to be announced, but Nintendo's E3 release schedule listed it for "Summer".

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 10:40:19 PM »

Hopefully it's Vita compatible, unlike the recent Gungnir release.   icon_evil

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 10:43:46 PM »

Gungnir should be on the Vita soon enough, but until then I will tell you that it is a really good game. I will have a full review up later this week, but If you enjoy FFT then you should really like Gungnir.

Back on topic, I'm so all over Unchained Blades, I just hope I can beat Gungnir before it releases next week.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 11:14:09 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on June 19, 2012, 10:43:46 PM

Gungnir should be on the Vita soon enough, but until then I will tell you that it is a really good game. I will have a full review up later this week, but If you enjoy FFT then you should really like Gungnir.

Good to hear.  While there's a couple things I'm leery about (the lack of random battles to allow for leveling, chests which take multiple hits to open, and potential insta-death), I'm very intrigued by Gungnir.  Looking forward to your review.

I'll believe its coming for Vita when I see it...I'm mainly just irritated I won't be able to play it on my flight tomorrow.  frown

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 11:33:38 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on June 19, 2012, 11:14:09 PM

Good to hear.  While there's a couple things I'm leery about (the lack of random battles to allow for leveling, chests which take multiple hits to open, and potential insta-death), I'm very intrigued by Gungnir.  Looking forward to your review.

I'll believe its coming for Vita when I see it...I'm mainly just irritated I won't be able to play it on my flight tomorrow.  frown

Have you played Yggdra Union?  It's somewhat similar to Gungnir (they're both in the Dept. Heaven series), it's Vita-compatible, and it's only $10.  Also, if you fail a battle, you can retry it with an easier level of difficulty and with your experience intact.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 12:03:51 AM »

Tried it when it first came out and remember not liking it much due to the crazy amount of complex systems with very little explanation.  Maybe I'll give it another look.

Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2012, 03:26:13 PM »

Did anyone pick this up yet, if so any impressions? I'm probably going to get it next week and play it while I'm on vacation.

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2012, 07:01:46 AM »

I've put in about two hours so far, and the game is really good.  Many dungeon crawlers lack personality, but Unchained Blades definitely doesn't.  Rather than creating a party, you get preset characters, and they're an interesting bunch.  The main character is a giant red dragon who has been reduced to a fledgling (humanoid) after arrogantly confronting the goddess.  Your goal is to make your way back to the goddess to get your revenge and your powers back.  Other party members include a phoenix princess who wants to become a dragon and a huge cowardly golem prince who wants to return to his fledging state.  Even the innkeepers are two souls in the body of one puppet creature who each control one side of their body.

As for gameplay, it's a pretty standard dungeon crawler with elements of more traditional RPGs like a FFX/XII/XIII style ability web and sidequests.  Battles are fast-paced so far, and you can fight large numbers of enemies (up to 15 I think) at once.  Other gameplay elements include recruiting enemies to fight alongside you (although you can't control them directly), harvesting materials for crafting, and a conversation system similar to the demon negotiation in the early Persona games.  You can save anywhere and warp back to town with an item.

Graphics are a mixed bag of beautiful 2D art for the characters and town and fairly low-quality 3D dungeon graphics.  The voice acting is well done, if familiar, and the music is rather catchy.  Overall, it looks like it's going to be a fun game with a lot of personality.

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2012, 12:52:15 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on June 19, 2012, 10:40:19 PM

Hopefully it's Vita compatible, unlike the recent Gungnir release.   icon_evil

So, do we know yet if Unchained Blades is Vita compatible?

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2012, 12:54:16 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on June 28, 2012, 12:52:15 PM

Quote from: Gratch on June 19, 2012, 10:40:19 PM

Hopefully it's Vita compatible, unlike the recent Gungnir release.   icon_evil

So, do we know yet if Unchained Blades is Vita compatible?

It's not showing up in the Vita store as of this morning, so I'm guessing not. In looking around, it seems that the publishers themselves don't have any control over whether or not a game is "certified" for Vita or not.  That process is left entirely up to SCEA...and they've apparently decided that both Gungnir and Unchained Blades aren't worth the trouble.

Thanks Sony...as if I wasn't regretting my Vita purchase enough already.   Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 12:57:38 PM by Gratch » Logged

Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2012, 09:51:46 PM »

I'm playing this on my Vita and loving it. I have about 4 hours in and I'm through the first dungeon. This game seems to have a crazy link to the addiction center in my brain. Every time I turn on my Vita I lose and hour to it.

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: