http://gamingtrend.com
September 20, 2014, 04:14:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thread for opinions/reviews on iOS games which may just happen to be on sale  (Read 1667 times)
Teggy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2012, 05:58:02 PM »

Sure - I would also be open to doing MP. It's only real time, correct, not a sort of PBEM model?

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2012, 06:09:43 PM »

You can specify the length of the "chess timer" equivalent to allow for real time games, PBEM paced ones, and anything in between.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2012, 06:14:40 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on April 27, 2012, 05:55:34 PM

I'll try to think of more later--if there's this much interest, maybe we should have a thread for the game?

Might be helpful.  I get the general idea of the game, but the some of the strategy is a mystery to me yet.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2012, 07:34:32 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on April 27, 2012, 05:55:34 PM

Don't grab 1 point cards unless you really like them or want them.  They'll dilute your deck, especially the Hectic Scribe, who looks good on paper but translates to you playing one fewer card on your turn (he's still situationally useful, though).

When there's only ~10-15 points left in the game, do grab those 1 point cards, as they're on par with mechana constructs as having a 1:1 point ratio.

Don't go construct heavy if you are playing more than one opponent.  With 3-4 players there are going to be too many construct disposal cards coming into play for it to be worthwhile.

Get a deck-banishing ability ASAP.  Your goal is to banish all your militia and apprentices, militia first if you can.  Once I get one of those cards, I try to use it every single time it comes up, even if it means banishing something in my hand (but don't do that if you need that last point to gain or kill something in the center).

I'll try to think of more later--if there's this much interest, maybe we should have a thread for the game?

Culling the deck is important in all of these games, for sure.   When I started Dominion I hated doing it (getting rid of money?  Are you crazy??), but I got stomped enough times to realize how key it is.

In Ascension, there are a couple of cards that force you to banish cards, and those can be great at first, but deadly as you get further into the game.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2012, 08:29:57 PM »

If there's a high value card in the center right out of the gate, I've had good luck going crazy-go-nuts aggressive at gearing up to be able to grab it first.  

4 apprentices, 1 militia? I'll grab an ascendant instead of even considering two heavy infantry.

5 apprentices?  I'll grab an ascendant and not spend the last 2 points on a heavy infantry.

I'm losing out on both a card and a victory point that way, but I'm also increasing my odds of drawing the 7 or 8 points I need for that awesome card.

In general, getting high value cards gives much more of an advantage than just the great ability each one may have.  Having a deck with more high value cards means your deck is smaller overall while still having a lot of victory points within.  Having a smaller deck means you reshuffle more often, meaning you draw those high value cards all the more often.

That's also why constructs are so great, because they give you points, an ability, and they don't make your deck any bigger (once you deploy them).  The only catch is making sure you have some way to beat your opponent to the construct discard monsters, either by killing them yourself or by banishing them.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 08:31:44 PM by wonderpug » Logged
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2012, 01:30:03 PM »

Swordigo is free today.  Go download it.  Now.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2012, 02:08:10 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on May 11, 2012, 01:30:03 PM

Swordigo is free today.  Go download it.  Now.

+1.

I got it yesterday and have played for hours already.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2012, 02:30:00 PM »

If you're going to be near a Starbucks today, I heard that their free app of the day is the game LostWinds.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: