http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 11:06:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So my iTunes account has been hijacked again  (Read 833 times)
Andrew Wonser
Gaming Trend Senior Member

A porcupine quilt made of porcupine quills.

View Profile
« on: February 27, 2012, 02:42:16 AM »

Had my account hijacked last month as well, as did others (Some lost as much as $100). This time they were much cleverer and purchased a free app that had in-app purchases. So I'm most likely out $15 because they were in-app. Not a whole lot but it's still irritating. Both times have been Chinese developed games. I had changed my password from a single word to a word plus numbers and letters. My touch was jailbroken and I had updated over wifi a couple times so it might have happened because of that. Went ahead and updated it which removed the jailbreak. I know my computers are both clean (Haven't clicked on anything suspect, haven't opened any mail except when I was resetting a password, haven't visited any off the path websites) and earlier this month I completely wiped all permissions for iTunes. Also my account is not linked to a credit/debit card.

Anyone have any other suggestions for things I can do to prevent this from happening again? I'm also thinking I might as well purchase something that will kill the remaining credit that I have, if for no other reason than to not lose any more money.
Nonnahob

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 03:53:19 AM »

Ever seen that xkcd about passwords? Ancient green furnace garage as a password is infinitely harder than TrouBad0r41! Do yourself a favor and change it again to a few words.

X360 - Nonnahob

A few nights ago I played a while with Hardon and we had a good time. - PhillyPeteRock
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 04:10:47 AM »

Contact Apple support and tell them you have unauthorized purchases.  I can't promise what will happen, but it's worth trying.  Other than standard security stuff (and Apple has an article about that exact thing), I don't know what to tell you (that I wouldn't later get in trouble for)
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 01:27:41 PM »

I just got the "Password needs to be reset for security reasons" message myself.  I haven't reset yet, so I don't know if any damage has been done (I assume not, since I probably wouldn't get the message if they got in).

I tried to find out what happened that caused me to get that message, but "Customer Care" told me I'd have to pay to find out, basically, or I could send an email and wait.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: