http://gamingtrend.com
August 22, 2014, 02:03:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shin Megami Tensei IV coming to North America  (Read 1083 times)
EddieA
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: April 02, 2013, 07:46:49 AM »

Atlus has announced that they are bringing Shin Megami Tensei IV to the 3DS this summer.  This certainly isn't surprising, but the release date is earlier than expected, especially with Soul Hackers coming in a few weeks.  It makes me wonder if they have a surprise release for this fall, like a possible Japan/US simultaneous release of Persona 5.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 05:58:17 PM »

I was just coming to see if you had posted about this. I was worried you might be incapacitated or something (since I'd yet to hear about it).

Ruining language with my terrible words.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 06:01:17 PM »

I like this Tensei IV thread better than that other wankers Tensei 4 thread  icon_wink

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 06:17:23 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 02, 2013, 06:01:17 PM

I like this Tensei IV thread better than that other wankers Tensei 4 thread  icon_wink

Seriously, that dude....

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 07:04:01 AM »

This thread is much better, as it uses the fancy "IV" instead of the pedestrian "4" in the title slywink

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 08:15:50 AM »

Having never played or seen the original series, I only know of this serious through Soul Hackers and Persona.

Anyone know what's the deal with the main SMT games?

I noticed that some screenshots showed modern looking areas. Is this a mix of fantasy with modern elements, and the demon systems?
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 10:40:06 AM »

Here are some details about the story.

The game’s story takes place in a post-apocalyptic Tokyo that has fallen into darkness and is overrun by demons. The only hope are the “Samurai” characters mentioned in the latest trailer, who are able to control these demons.  These Samurai characters hail from the fictional country of East Mikado, which is said to be similar in its civilization to Middle Ages Europe. East Mikado appears to have a link to Tokyo.

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 08:31:03 PM »

Atlus has revealed that all first-run copies of the game will include a 176-page Strategy & Design Book, special packaging, and a CD with selected tracks from the history of the SMT series.

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 07:45:21 AM »

Here's a short preview of the strategy guide that comes with the game.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2013, 01:52:04 AM »

So, who is ready this week?

I picked up Soul Hackers a while back but all the too old game design and UI elements of that game stopped me from finishing it.

SMT4 looks to be a nice mix of difficulty and RPG that I want.
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2013, 03:07:37 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on July 15, 2013, 01:52:04 AM

So, who is ready this week?

I just got my shipping notification from Amazon about an hour ago. In!

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2013, 10:16:22 AM »

If I can pry Animal Crossing out of my 3DS, I'll be playing this Tuesday.

Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2013, 02:38:41 PM »

Don't forget to register if you bought it and Fire Emblem.  Nintendo is running a great promotion and you will net yourself $30.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2013, 06:12:09 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on July 15, 2013, 10:16:22 AM

If I can pry Animal Crossing out of my 3DS, I'll be playing this Tuesday.

I should be interested in this, but barely used my 3DS since I bought it. Layton and Ghost Recon sit there unplayed. The only thing I spent any time with is Zero Escape.

Crusis

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2013, 01:53:03 AM »

Had no idea this came with a massive strategy guide. Nice.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2013, 02:40:11 AM »

Since this the core SMT series has been silent for a while, and a lot of people will be coming from the Persona series of spin offs (now pretty much its own franchise frankly), I think they're putting in that guide to ease people into this.

If you have any pre-order bonus codes, you'll have to input them from within the game's DLC menu, and not from the eShop, otherwise it doesn't work.

However, the club nintendo $30 credit thing you'll have to make an account in club.nintendo.com then put your game PINs in there.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 02:41:50 AM by Turtle » Logged
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2013, 04:31:34 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on July 17, 2013, 02:40:11 AM

However, the club nintendo $30 credit thing you'll have to make an account in club.nintendo.com then put your game PINs in there.

If you buy a lot of games on Nintendo systems, Club Nintendo is actually pretty cool so I would highly recommend it anyways.  Every game/system you register is worth points, get enough and you can trade them in for free games on the eShops.  I’ve gotten 3-4 games from the program in the last year; mostly SNES era titles.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2013, 12:21:58 PM »

So I'm finding I like this a helluva lot more than Soul Hackers, I guess it's the more modern viewpoint instead of the first person tiled dungeon crawl mode.

Also plenty of various improvements overall. I actually have time to see what's happening in combat.

I do wish this game had circle pad functionality because the camera is just horrible. Lots of narrow corridors with fast moving enemies that aggro on you from off camera or around corners. Also, the circle pad actually makes it easier to hold the DS while playing this for long stretches.

A little grinding is necessary, but thankfully the difficulty doesn't spike as early as it did in Soul Hackers. Although, the encounter rate is a bit ridiculous, they definitely use the spawn rates as padding since the actual areas you're in aren't that large or interesting. There's also a bunch of cases where enemy spawns are placed right opposite a level transition or door, meaning almost every time as soon as you warp into an area you get hit with an unavoidable encounter where they get the first hit.

Still not sold on the mostly somewhat random demon bargaining. It is not quite random, there are some responses that generally give good or bad results, but it's trial and error, with a lot of extra randomness tossed in so that the same choices don't always work.

I basically always try to use the "Cheat" option at least twice, and only give 1-2 things, while refusing exorbitant offers. If you don't like how things are going, and you want your items back, go kill the guy. I also don't quite like the huge damage multipliers they get coming out of a bad bargain, I've had level 2 creatures nearly wipe my party that was made up of level 9s in just one turn.

Thankfully, there is a save anywhere function, and you really have to relearn to do that. But even so, they still throw random boss battles out of thin air. But, at least you can get continues with gold or play coins.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2013, 12:31:05 PM »

Quote from: Lordnine on July 17, 2013, 04:31:34 AM

If you buy a lot of games on Nintendo systems, Club Nintendo is actually pretty cool so I would highly recommend it anyways.  Every game/system you register is worth points, get enough and you can trade them in for free games on the eShops.  I’ve gotten 3-4 games from the program in the last year; mostly SNES era titles.

Unlike most other point reward systems, Nintendo is incredibly generous with Club Nintendo.  I've gotten several games for free, some nice posters and calendars, and I still have lots of points left.

Since this the core SMT series has been silent for a while, and a lot of people will be coming from the Persona series of spin offs (now pretty much its own franchise frankly), I think they're putting in that guide to ease people into this.

That's probably a good idea, since they weren't kidding about the game's difficulty.  Even the second tutorial mission took me a few deaths and reloads to complete.  Battles tend to be really lopsided one way or the other. This makes for some frustration, but it's a great feeling when you utterly crush an enemy, especially if they just did the same to you a few minutes ago.  Thankfully, you can save anywhere, as otherwise the game would be a nightmare.

I've only put in two hours or so, but I'm loving the game.  It looks great (especially the awesome demon designs), has a ton of quality voice acting, and looks to be a massive game.  I also love some of the interactions you can have with the demons.  For instance, one demon asks you to massage his back.  If you do so, he says something to the effect of
Spoiler for Hiden:
You have soothing arms.  Now I'll rip them off and use them myself  icon_eek
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 12:32:54 PM by EddieA » Logged

Crusis

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2013, 02:54:53 PM »

I forgot how hard these games can be. Lots of fun so far after a couple of hours, though.

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2013, 01:31:02 PM »

How far in is the first opportunity to save? Ah... never mind. Just met 'Burroughs' and the menu is now unlocked.

Good thing seeing as how I keep getting killed during the freaking tutorial.  disgust

Back at it!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 02:05:04 PM by MonkeyFinger » Logged

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
davidrobots
Senior Lead Editor
Gaming Trend Reader

Holler holler get dollar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2013, 04:08:47 PM »

Yeah, this game is stupid hard. I'm really liking the atmosphere and the augmented reality meets feudal Japan stuff, but I had to lower the difficulty to make any sort of headway in the game. I know, I suck, but hey -- at least I know it. I'm about six hours in and I can't wait to keep playing.

I just wish the graphics weren't so low-rent. Compared to Persona 3/4, this game is downright ancient looking.

David Roberts
Managing Editor, Gaming Trend

Twitter: @davidrobots
Nintendo ID: davidrobots
Xbox Gamertag: FencerMusashi
PSN ID: Fencer Musashi
Steam: davidrobots
3DS: 2148-8144-9369
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2013, 01:15:33 PM »

I redeemed my preorder Amazon DLC and noticed there are two free DLC packs available.  Each has 3 challenge missions, each of which awards you an exclusive piece of armor.

Crusis

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2013, 01:20:25 PM »

Well this is lame. I purchased Fire Emblem on the 3ds store a few months ago so it looks like it doesn't count toward the $30 credit for buying Shin Megami - no way to register it. Is there a way around this?

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2013, 01:55:42 PM »

Did you register it at the Club Nintendo site or is it automatic when you download it?

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Crusis

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2013, 04:52:39 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on July 25, 2013, 01:55:42 PM

Did you register it at the Club Nintendo site or is it automatic when you download it?

I registered after I bought Fire Emblem. I didn't even know about club nintendo until I saw the offer with Shin Megami IV. So I have no pin to register on club nintendo.

davidrobots
Senior Lead Editor
Gaming Trend Reader

Holler holler get dollar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2013, 09:52:56 PM »

Try contacting Nintendo. Their customer service is supposed to be amazing.

David Roberts
Managing Editor, Gaming Trend

Twitter: @davidrobots
Nintendo ID: davidrobots
Xbox Gamertag: FencerMusashi
PSN ID: Fencer Musashi
Steam: davidrobots
3DS: 2148-8144-9369
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2013, 01:23:13 AM »

Quote from: Crusis on July 25, 2013, 01:20:25 PM

Well this is lame. I purchased Fire Emblem on the 3ds store a few months ago so it looks like it doesn't count toward the $30 credit for buying Shin Megami - no way to register it. Is there a way around this?

Just call Nintendo...as long as your 3DS is registered on club nintendo they'll check and add your fire emblem with no problem.  I had to do this a couple of days ago and it showed up a day later.
Crusis

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2013, 03:23:35 AM »

Quote from: ericb on July 27, 2013, 01:23:13 AM

Quote from: Crusis on July 25, 2013, 01:20:25 PM

Just call Nintendo...as long as your 3DS is registered on club nintendo they'll check and add your fire emblem with no problem.  I had to do this a couple of days ago and it showed up a day later.

I logged into club nintendo today and my $30 credit was smiling at me. So now, what to spend it on.  nod

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: