http://gamingtrend.com
September 30, 2014, 04:11:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 29   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PS Vita Impressions! Price drop! Casual Edition! Vita TV!  (Read 39704 times)
Canuck
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #960 on: June 05, 2012, 09:05:05 PM »

Come on Sony, hurry up and drop the price. You're going to run out of suckers (sorry guys) who were willing to pay the premium price.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #961 on: June 07, 2012, 08:54:48 AM »

no price cut in 2012 (until they change their mind):

If you're holding off on buying a PlayStation Vita in hopes that Sony will announce a price cut this summer, you're bound to be disappointed. Sony Worldwide Studios chief Shuhei Yoshida has confirmed that the company is happy with the current price of the handheld.

"From the value for money standpoint, we think we have a good price for what the system is," Yoshida told Eurogamer. "And our priority is to achieve the potential through more games and services."

Yoshida didn't rule out an eventual cut. However, he said that a price reduction this year would be "absolutely" too soon. For the time being, Sony is working to make sure that the Vita is worth its current price.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #962 on: June 07, 2012, 04:22:17 PM »

Suckers? I use this thing more than I use the vasiline next to my bed! Wait, did I think that or say that? nod
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #963 on: June 07, 2012, 04:57:57 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 05, 2012, 03:02:32 PM

Quote from: Teggy on June 05, 2012, 02:42:42 PM

The PS1 compatibility is a little confusing at the moment. They said PS1 classics will be coming in the summer. They didn't explain if previously purchased PS1 games will work on the system, or we'd have to rebuy.

They also implied that it would be a slow rollout.  They only mentioned two PS1 games (FF VII and another that I forget) as being available at launch.

I have a handful of PS1 games that have worked on the PS3 and PSP.  I will not be rebuying them.  I can't imagine that would go over well.

According to a guy on CAG, a Sony rep said they will all be available with the firmware update which is coming in July, probably.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #964 on: June 07, 2012, 05:20:32 PM »

I think maintaining the high price will help people learn discipline.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #965 on: June 07, 2012, 05:53:45 PM »

People will just get another job so they can get a Vita.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #966 on: June 07, 2012, 06:04:15 PM »

Don't they still have their second job from when they had to buy a PS3?

Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #967 on: June 08, 2012, 05:06:32 PM »

I still have all three of my jobs from previous Sony console purchases.  Tongue. Honestly though, I don't see the big deal with these prices. Ps3 was expensive at launch. My launch one made it 4 yrs and now my slim is goog strong. Vita, while also expensive, not really so much when you consider what tech is in that little guy. That platform should last me YEARS just as ps3 has. Not to start a console war, but in comparison the 4 360's I had cost a hell of alot more than either of those, maybe both even... And for another comparison, with pc gaming you can spend that much every few years to keep a system up to date.

So, while I agree the start up costs on these things aren't cheap, the value per year cost is actually pretty reasonable.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #968 on: June 11, 2012, 03:33:46 AM »

Quote from: Harpua3 on June 08, 2012, 05:06:32 PM

I still have all three of my jobs from previous Sony console purchases.  Tongue. Honestly though, I don't see the big deal with these prices. Ps3 was expensive at launch.

Exactly...and no one was buying a PS3 at its intial price so Sony had to cut. Sony can spin the value they feel is there all they want but its not selling. The 3DS is crushing it in japan(even the PSP is outselling it).

If they want people to drop $250 on it and $50 a game on this they need to show AAA level titles that look like they were made by the A level teams. Just look at the Vita AC game. Its being made by some unkown Euro team that has never done anything of quality. Why isn't it being made by a top level Ubisoft Montreal team? This half-assed level of commitment just won't cut it.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #969 on: June 11, 2012, 07:04:33 PM »

Quote from: Jumangi on June 11, 2012, 03:33:46 AM

If they want people to drop $250 on it and $50 a game on this they need to show AAA level titles that look like they were made by the A level teams. Just look at the Vita AC game. Its being made by some unkown Euro team that has never done anything of quality. Why isn't it being made by a top level Ubisoft Montreal team? This half-assed level of commitment just won't cut it.

Chicken or egg?  People aren't buying games because they're being shoved out the door by unknown devs (often with low quality), but they are being made by unknown devs because no one is buying them.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #970 on: June 11, 2012, 08:30:05 PM »

No, were not 3 years into the system here. Were talking about launch titles and ones part of the initial wave. Vita games like Resistance and the upcoming AC titles were chosen to be made by unkown B teams before slow initial sales. The bottom line is publishers arn't treating the system like a full console experience in your hands as Sony like to tout.

My benchmark for what I'm talking about would be the GoW games on the PSP. Those didn't make you feel second class as a gamer. They were right up there with the Playstation titles in quality. Thats how these $50 Vita games need to be treated IMO, at least if they plan on wanting $50 a piece for them.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #971 on: June 11, 2012, 09:35:16 PM »

Quote from: Jumangi on June 11, 2012, 08:30:05 PM

My benchmark for what I'm talking about would be the GoW games on the PSP. Those didn't make you feel second class as a gamer. They were right up there with the Playstation titles in quality. Thats how these $50 Vita games need to be treated IMO, at least if they plan on wanting $50 a piece for them.

Sony Bend made all of the PSP Syphon Filter games and did a great job at it, as well as the Vita Uncharted, so I would hardly have considered them a bad group to tackle Resistance.  Clearly it didn't work out though.

But even the PSP God of War games were still done by the "B Team" at Ready At Dawn and not the Sony Santa Monica team that made the console games.  That's just the way that mobile development of an existing property usually works, you give it to a team that specializes in those kinds of games. 
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 09:45:42 PM by EngineNo9 » Logged

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #972 on: June 16, 2012, 09:23:09 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on June 05, 2012, 09:05:05 PM

Come on Sony, hurry up and drop the price. You're going to run out of suckers (sorry guys) who were willing to pay the premium price.

I feel like more of a sucker for paying the premium price for the 3DS, but I've never once felt like that about the Vita.

The problem isn't the price, it's the lack of games.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #973 on: June 26, 2012, 11:40:51 PM »

the Youtube App is out today.

Because I can,
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #974 on: June 27, 2012, 05:03:00 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 26, 2012, 11:40:51 PM

the Youtube App is out today.

Certainly not the reason why I bought the device. But, I betcha YouTube videos at 720p look pretty nice on that screen. Back to gravity rush!
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #975 on: June 30, 2012, 05:18:35 PM »

Between this latest batch of PSP releases (i.e. Gungnir and Unchained Blades) not being compatible with Vita and still no word on PS1 compatibility (with the latest rumor being we'd have to re-buy games we already have for PSP), I'm officially washing my hands of the Vita.  I just listed my system in the local online classifieds, hoping I can get back at least a little of what I paid for this thing.  Maybe I'll pick one up again down the line if/when some decent games come out, but I'm not holding my breath.

Shame, as it really is a wonderful little system.  frown

Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #976 on: June 30, 2012, 06:04:21 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on June 30, 2012, 05:18:35 PM

Between this latest batch of PSP releases (i.e. Gungnir and Unchained Blades) not being compatible with Vita and still no word on PS1 compatibility (with the latest rumor being we'd have to re-buy games we already have for PSP), I'm officially washing my hands of the Vita.  I just listed my system in the local online classifieds, hoping I can get back at least a little of what I paid for this thing.  Maybe I'll pick one up again down the line if/when some decent games come out, but I'm not holding my breath.

Um, you don't have to rebuy your psp games...
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #977 on: June 30, 2012, 06:11:32 PM »

Quote from: Harpua3 on June 30, 2012, 06:04:21 PM

PS1 games, not PSP.

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #978 on: June 30, 2012, 08:29:15 PM »

Quote from: Harpua3 on June 30, 2012, 06:04:21 PM

If you have them on a UMD then yes, you do. Unless there's some double-secret handshake thing I don't know about...

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #979 on: July 01, 2012, 07:12:28 PM »

There was a handshake! eek Sorry, I wasn't thinking, my psp games were downloads...

I am still baffled by all the "I sold my vita" comments. But, to each his/ her own.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #980 on: July 03, 2012, 05:50:31 PM »

PS One Classics supports starts with firmware 1.8.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 05:53:20 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #981 on: July 03, 2012, 08:04:59 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 03, 2012, 05:50:31 PM

PS One Classics supports starts with firmware 1.8.

Figures... slywink

No mention on whether or not the PS1 games we've already purchased will be compatible.  I would assume so, but this is Sony we're talking about.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #982 on: August 14, 2012, 07:16:20 PM »

PS1 games coming 8/28

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #983 on: August 14, 2012, 07:33:44 PM »

Here's the list of games Sony has announced for initial support:

Tomb Raider
        Final Fantasy VII
        Wild Arms
        Twisted Metal 2
        Cool Boarders 2
        Arc the Lad
        Resident Evil Director's Cut
        Crash Bandicoot
        JetMoto

Wait, only certain PS1 games will be compatible?  WTF?   saywhat icon_evil

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #984 on: August 14, 2012, 08:12:05 PM »

1.80 firmware update info.  other than the PSone classics Bullwinkle mentioned there are some other changes.

Because I can,
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #985 on: August 14, 2012, 08:21:21 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on August 14, 2012, 07:33:44 PM

Here's the list of games Sony has announced for initial support:

Tomb Raider
        Final Fantasy VII
        Wild Arms
        Twisted Metal 2
        Cool Boarders 2
        Arc the Lad
        Resident Evil Director's Cut
        Crash Bandicoot
        JetMoto

Wait, only certain PS1 games will be compatible?  WTF?   saywhat icon_evil

Well, there goes my plan to play through all the FFs (except 3) on my Vita.  I can play 4 because there is a PSP version.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #986 on: August 14, 2012, 08:39:33 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 14, 2012, 08:12:05 PM

1.80 firmware update info.  other than the PSone classics Bullwinkle mentioned there are some other changes.

Seems like one of the more sizable patches we've seen for the system. Lots of nice things there, but I'm personally most excited about the ability to use the Vita as a PS3-controller. I saw this functionality demonstrated for Little Big Planet (a game I'm very much looking forward to), and it looked absolutely awesome. From simple things like having Sackboy jump down a hole on the PS3 screen and appear in an underground level on the Vita, to using the touch screen to interact with physical elements on the PS3, or even having the Vita serve as an alternate view of the PS3 screen for use in puzzles, such as letting you identify hidden switches. It's pretty neat, and it's fully customizable in the editor. We should be seeing some really nice puzzles made with this kind of thing in mind.

The coolest part of the Little Big Planet demonstration I saw had two players playing the game cooperatively, one on the PS3 and one on the Vita. The Vita player was playing a space shoot-em-up, while the PS3 player was jumping around inside the other player's spaceship. When the Vita player turned his ship, the PS3 player's world would spin accordingly, which meant that communication was key.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #987 on: August 14, 2012, 08:45:06 PM »

looks like they've definitely rallied behind the Vita at Gamescom today.  they've also announced PS Plus is coming.

Because I can,
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #988 on: August 14, 2012, 09:14:40 PM »

Wow, lots of announcements today!
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #989 on: August 16, 2012, 01:19:04 PM »

Wow, didn't even realize Gamescom was going on. But the new Vita stuff sounds fun.

I'm really looking forward to using the Vita as a PS3 (and PS4) controller, even though I know the feature will never be widely supported in the PS3, but could be great for the PS4.

That new Tearaway game from MM looks fun, even though it uses a lot of the handheld functionality I hate (screaming into the mic?!).
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #990 on: August 16, 2012, 02:34:18 PM »

I bought Sound Shapes yesterday after reading several glowing reviews. Haven't played it much yet, but it's definitely interesting. Reminds me a bit of Super Meat Boy, only a little slower, with an editor, and with constant musical rewards for progressing through a level. Got me to boot up my Vita again. smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #991 on: August 16, 2012, 05:44:14 PM »

once again Sony says 'no price cut in 2012'.

Because I can,
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #992 on: August 16, 2012, 05:44:53 PM »

Have they said if the PSX games will be games that are already on your account, or if they will need to be rebought?

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #993 on: August 18, 2012, 01:29:16 PM »

Maybe they could just pricecut the memory cards? Same difference  icon_razz
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #994 on: August 28, 2012, 03:14:43 AM »

1.80 firmware update tour

Because I can,
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #995 on: August 28, 2012, 04:03:36 AM »

Quote from: Azhag on August 18, 2012, 01:29:16 PM

You'd think Sony could just as easily have gone with MicroSD cards but they'd rather make extra money on their own cards. I got my Android 32GB card for $20 shipped brand new.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #996 on: August 28, 2012, 07:19:51 AM »

Quote from: Azhag on August 18, 2012, 01:29:16 PM

if only they had gone with non-proprietary cards.  I wonder if anyone has found a work around yet.

Because I can,
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #997 on: August 28, 2012, 12:22:32 PM »

The 1.80 update is available now.

By the way, the US is getting shafted compared to EU.  Here are the games available to the US:

• Arc the Lad
• Cool Boarders 2
• Final Fantasy VII
• Hot Shots Golf 2
• Jet Moto
• Syphon Filter
• Tomb Raider
• Twisted Metal 2
• Wild Arms

And here are the games EU is getting:
Spoiler for PSone Classics available to play this week EU:
Cool Boarders
Cool Boarders 2
Crash Bandicoot
Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back
Crash Bandicoot 3 Warped
CTR: Crash Team Racing
Destruction Derby
Everybody's Golf 2
G-Police
Jet Rider
Jet Rider 2
Jumping Flash
Kula World
Kurushi Final
MediEvil
Motor Toon Grand Prix 2
Rally Cross
Syphon Filter
Syphon Filter 3
Twisted Metal
Wild Arms
WipEout
40 Wink
A Bugs Life
A Bugs Life and Monsters Inc bundle
Abe's Exoddus
Abe's Oddworld Oddysee
Airboat
All-Star Boxing
Arc Arena: Monster Tournament
Arc the Lad
Arc the Lad II
Arc the Lad III
Arcade Hits: Shienryu
Arcade Hits: Sonic Wings Special
Atari Anniversary Edition
Atlantis
Atlantis and Hercules Bundle
Bishi Bashi Special
Blockids
Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain
Bugriders
Buzz Lightyear of Star Command
Centipede
Cho Aniki
Constructor
Critical Depth
Dezaemon Plus
Disney's Action Game ft. Hercules
Dodgeball
Driver
Eagle One: Harrier Attack
Fear Effect
Fear Effect: Retro Helix
Fighting Force
Fighting Force 2
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy V
Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy VII
Front Mission 3
Gaiaseed
Galaxy Fight
Gex
Gex 3: Deep Under Cover
Gex 3D: Enter the Gecko
Grandia
Gubble
Guilty Gear
Gunship
Hardcore 4X4
International Track & Field
Jigsaw Madness
Judge Dredd
Junior League Soccer PS1
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
Lilo & Stitch
Little Mermaid 2
Little Mermaid 2 and Winnie The Pooh bundle
Metal Gear Solid
Mickey's Wild Adventure
Miracle Quad Racer
Miracle Space Race
Missile Command
Monsters Inc
Motorhead
N20
Namco Heritage bundle
Pandemonium
Pandemonium 2
Parasite Eve 2
Peter Pan
Pong
Pooh's Party Game
Rageball
Rainbow Six
Rascal Racers
Rayman
Rayman 2: The Great Escape
Reel Fishing
Re-loaded
Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil 3: Nemesis
Resident Evil: Director's Cut
Ridge Racer Type 4
Sheep
Silent Hill
Snowboard Racer
Sorcerer's Maze
Spin Jam
Sports Superbike
Streak
Street Fighter 2 Alpha
Super Star Dance Club
Tarzan
Tekken
Tekken 2
Tomb Raider
Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation
Tomb Raider Chronicles
Tomb Raider 2
Tomb Raider 3
Toy Story 2
Toy Story Racer
Toy Story Racer and Toy Story 2: Woody and Buzz bundle
Vagrant Story
Alundra
Urban Chaos

All is not lost, however.  Here is a link to a list of games that'll transfer from a PS3.

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #998 on: August 28, 2012, 12:45:42 PM »

Yay!!!

All my Final Fantasy games that I bought for the PSP/PS3 will now work on my Vita! Awesome. smile

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #999 on: August 28, 2012, 12:49:05 PM »

Oh BTW, Best Buy has the new Madden Vita bundle today. In addition to getting Madden 13 for free with the bundle, you also get a $50 Gift Card. Pretty sweet deal if you are thinking of getting a Vita.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 29   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: