http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 11:11:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 29   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PS Vita Impressions! Price drop! Casual Edition! Vita TV!  (Read 37517 times)
shon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #880 on: February 28, 2012, 03:35:25 AM »

Anyone else notice lag using a bluetooth headset?

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #881 on: February 28, 2012, 07:44:51 AM »

Has anyone else had control issues in Rayman? It's strange but diagonal directions on the analog sticks dont seem to register...

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #882 on: February 28, 2012, 08:14:12 AM »

Why are you using the analog sticks for a platformer in the first place? I need the precision of the d-pad for games like these.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #883 on: February 28, 2012, 01:14:53 PM »

The Vita may not be doing well in Japan....but it's doing pretty darn good over in the UK! smile

http://www.chart-track.co.uk/?i=1281&s=1111

Uncharted and FIFA are #1 and #2 in software sales across all platforms.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #884 on: February 28, 2012, 05:18:02 PM »

Just had my near data corrupt again. frown Was in a building with bad GPS coverage when I updated. So, formatted my Vita and all is well. They really need to fix this.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #885 on: February 28, 2012, 08:08:30 PM »

I'm sad to have to conclude that everyone in my friends list who plays Super Stardust Delta is a goddamn wimp! Yes, that includes you, Hetz! slywink I'm looking at the quick high score lists and seeing some rather high scores among you guys, thinking that you're all doing rather well and that I need practice despite my Super Stardust HD experience. Then I go to the real high score lists which reveal the difficulty people play on, and see that every single damn one of you is playing on casual. I mean, what's this? Preschool? Tongue

The game may say that some of you technically beat me in pure score, but I refuse to accept this as long as you play on a difficulty level designed for wimps. Now get back to me once you man up!
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #886 on: February 29, 2012, 12:52:04 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on February 28, 2012, 08:14:12 AM

Why are you using the analog sticks for a platformer in the first place? I need the precision of the d-pad for games like these.

There's a story behind this, and it starts with a little game called Super Mario 64...  icon_wink

Seriously though, perhaps that's my problem because the diagonal directions on the analog sticks literally register no input which is CRAZY to me.

Sean Lama
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #887 on: February 29, 2012, 03:48:17 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on February 28, 2012, 08:08:30 PM

I'm sad to have to conclude that everyone in my friends list who plays Super Stardust Delta is a goddamn wimp! Yes, that includes you, Hetz! slywink I'm looking at the quick high score lists and seeing some rather high scores among you guys, thinking that you're all doing rather well and that I need practice despite my Super Stardust HD experience. Then I go to the real high score lists which reveal the difficulty people play on, and see that every single damn one of you is playing on casual. I mean, what's this? Preschool? Tongue

The game may say that some of you technically beat me in pure score, but I refuse to accept this as long as you play on a difficulty level designed for wimps. Now get back to me once you man up!

lol

I played Endless on Normal and I have the top score on that! I also got the Gold Trophy for surviving for 10 minutes! So there! slywink

I have played the main game on Normal...but I have just scored higher on Casual. I see that I will have to put some more time in on Normal now. Challenge accepted!

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #888 on: February 29, 2012, 11:36:10 AM »

So, can you actually not watch YouTube on the Vita's browser, or is my unit broken?

My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #889 on: February 29, 2012, 01:24:46 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on February 29, 2012, 11:36:10 AM

So, can you actually not watch YouTube on the Vita's browser, or is my unit broken?

You can't watch it, cause Youtube uses Flash and the Vita doesn't support it yet.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #890 on: February 29, 2012, 01:38:30 PM »

Doesn't a good portion of YouTube use html5 now due to the iPhone (which also doesn't use flash but can use YouTube)?

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #891 on: February 29, 2012, 01:41:26 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on February 29, 2012, 01:38:30 PM

Doesn't a good portion of YouTube use html5 now due to the iPhone (which also doesn't use flash but can use YouTube)?

The Vita solves that problem by not supporting HTML5. Tongue
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #892 on: February 29, 2012, 01:52:48 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on February 29, 2012, 01:41:26 PM

Quote from: Teggy on February 29, 2012, 01:38:30 PM

The Vita solves that problem by not supporting HTML5. Tongue

It continually baffles me that can these mega-corporations can't (or won't, which is probably more accurate) figure out a way to make these systems work together.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #893 on: February 29, 2012, 01:57:29 PM »

The core issue here is that the Vita isn't meant to be a complete entertainment center. Sony learned their lesson with the PSP, a system that was heavily marketed as just about anything except a game console, with the result that few people even knew what the damned thing was. The PSP had no product identity. Sure, the Vita has basic support for browsing, watching videos, viewing pictures and playing music, but it's not particularly good at any of them. This may change in the future, but I strongly suspect this isn't even remotely close to being a priority for Sony. Their focus is games, and rightly so.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #894 on: February 29, 2012, 02:56:16 PM »

Two news bits:

1.  Sony just announced that an update is coming for Vita that upgrades the browser and some other things.   Also adds Skype.    It's coming 'very soon'.   Hopefully within days.

2.  Bioshock Inifinite is coming to the Vita.   YEAH baby!
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #895 on: February 29, 2012, 04:46:36 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on February 29, 2012, 02:56:16 PM

Two news bits:

1.  Sony just announced that an update is coming for Vita that upgrades the browser and some other things.   Also adds Skype.    It's coming 'very soon'.   Hopefully within days.

Awesome!

Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #896 on: February 29, 2012, 05:38:53 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on February 29, 2012, 01:57:29 PM

The core issue here is that the Vita isn't meant to be a complete entertainment center. Sony learned their lesson with the PSP, a system that was heavily marketed as just about anything except a game console, with the result that few people even knew what the damned thing was. The PSP had no product identity. Sure, the Vita has basic support for browsing, watching videos, viewing pictures and playing music, but it's not particularly good at any of them. This may change in the future, but I strongly suspect this isn't even remotely close to being a priority for Sony. Their focus is games, and rightly so.

That is a great point. When you see/turn this thing on it just screams gaming system. The web browser is weak and slow but I don't care. I have an ipad and pc for that stuff. I just want to game on the Vita.

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #897 on: February 29, 2012, 06:05:03 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on February 29, 2012, 04:46:36 PM

Quote from: msduncan on February 29, 2012, 02:56:16 PM

Two news bits:

Awesome!

Where did you hear about Infinite coming to the Vita?

Sean Lama
faide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #898 on: March 01, 2012, 01:51:46 AM »

Not sure if msduncan saw a more recent news tidbit about bioshock infinite (I'm guessing he has), but at E3 Ken Levine came out onstage and talked about it.  I seem to recall he was very hyped about the vita and was talking about doing something bioshock infinite on it.

msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #899 on: March 01, 2012, 03:03:17 AM »

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/10/17/ken-levine-gives-us-an-update-on-bioshocks-playstation-vita-ver/
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #900 on: March 01, 2012, 05:50:25 AM »

There's a Bioshock game coming, not a Bioshock Infinite game. Unless something has changed that is, but the article in the previous post clearly says that they don't want to do a Bioshock Infinite game or an underwater Bioshock game on the Vita.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #901 on: March 02, 2012, 02:00:46 AM »

It sounds like a unique Bioshock for the Vita, not a port of any other version.

Sean Lama
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #902 on: March 07, 2012, 08:12:05 PM »

looks like some of the games from their upcoming Game Heaven event may have been leaked:  Monster Hunter Portable 3, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Nights, Tales Of Innocence R and Final Fantasy Type-0 HD.

[edit] fake.  see Hetz's post 2 down.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 09:47:01 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #903 on: March 07, 2012, 09:16:09 PM »

A new Vice City game for the Vita??? YES!

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #904 on: March 07, 2012, 09:34:23 PM »

Damn...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=465809

The State of Game "Journalism" - IGN, Kotaku, Eurogamer, Gamespot all fooled by 4chan

It's fake.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #905 on: March 07, 2012, 09:46:33 PM »

crap.  for me a new Vice City game would have been a system seller all by itself.

Because I can,
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #906 on: March 08, 2012, 09:04:37 PM »

So I have my Vita and I was trying to set it up, but I got to the "you need an update to access the internet, access the internet to download the update."  I just plug in the USB cord attached to my Vita to my PC and download the necessary software or plug it into my PS3 to take care of this, right?

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #907 on: March 08, 2012, 09:46:59 PM »

Yes, but not through the initial setup wizard, which is bugged. Set up a temporary account like it tells you to, download the update, then sync with your regular PSN account manually afterwards.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #908 on: March 08, 2012, 10:07:21 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on March 08, 2012, 09:46:59 PM

Yes, but not through the initial setup wizard, which is bugged. Set up a temporary account like it tells you to, download the update, then sync with your regular PSN account manually afterwards.

I didn't have to set up a temp account.  I skipped that part and got it connected and got the update and then went back and signed in.  It's been a few weeks, so I can't remember specific steps, but I know you don't have to set up a temp account.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #909 on: March 09, 2012, 02:07:46 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on March 08, 2012, 10:07:21 PM

Quote from: TiLT on March 08, 2012, 09:46:59 PM

I didn't have to set up a temp account.  I skipped that part and got it connected and got the update and then went back and signed in.  It's been a few weeks, so I can't remember specific steps, but I know you don't have to set up a temp account.

Same here, no temporary account required.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #910 on: March 09, 2012, 02:11:29 AM »

If I remember, you just need to say you are creating a temp account and it just keeps going with the download/setup. Don't think you need to actually create said account.

icon_smile

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #911 on: March 09, 2012, 12:46:36 PM »

Quote from: Devil on March 09, 2012, 02:11:29 AM

If I remember, you just need to say you are creating a temp account and it just keeps going with the download/setup. Don't think you need to actually create said account.

icon_smile

Yeah, that is what happened with me. I didn't have to setup a temp account, I just said I would and it downloaded the update. Then I signed in with my PSN account.

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #912 on: March 10, 2012, 09:00:57 PM »

I'm realizing that I don't like the app icons... It feels not sleek whatsoever and I hate how they bounce and shake.

Sean Lama
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #913 on: March 10, 2012, 10:15:11 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on March 10, 2012, 09:00:57 PM

I'm realizing that I don't like the app icons... It feels not sleek whatsoever and I hate how they bounce and shake.

I agree with you completely.The jagged little edges and the way they bounce and float is very childish in comparison to the sleekness of the system.

I have a growing feeling that the Vita is going to be an absolute bust, which is a shame. It is easily the best designed handheld I've ever used, but there seems to be absolutely no enthusiasm for it. When the original PSP came out, a majority of my friends picked it up day one. With the exception of one other person, no one in my circle of friends has expressed any interest in the Vita. Likewise, my two local Gamestops have sold practically nothing. I'm in the Chicagoland area, and both of these stores get some of the highest foot traffic in the state.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #914 on: March 10, 2012, 11:57:53 PM »

Everyone I've spoken with about it who might have interest are all in the "I want one some day" category.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #915 on: March 11, 2012, 06:28:35 PM »

When you delete a game from the main screens, does it delete saved data as well?  If so, is there a way to get rid of the game bubble without wiping out saves?

Quote from: Dante Rising on March 10, 2012, 10:15:11 PM

I have a growing feeling that the Vita is going to be an absolute bust, which is a shame. It is easily the best designed handheld I've ever used, but there seems to be absolutely no enthusiasm for it. When the original PSP came out, a majority of my friends picked it up day one. With the exception of one other person, no one in my circle of friends has expressed any interest in the Vita. Likewise, my two local Gamestops have sold practically nothing. I'm in the Chicagoland area, and both of these stores get some of the highest foot traffic in the state.

Having played a good chunk of the launch lineup at this point (HS Golf, Uncharted, Rayman Origins, Wipeout, Shinobido 2, Motostorm RC, and Super Stardust), I think the problem is that while the launch lineup is decent, there really isn't anything that stands out as a real "must have" system seller.  Hell, I've already traded away half the launch titles I picked up because after the "wow" factor wore off, I found them pretty dull.  (Granted, Shinobido 2 was simply a bad game, regardless of platform.  smile)

The potential for this device is off the charts, but it seems like there's lots of gamers waiting to see what comes next.  Which is a catch-22, since publishers will look at sales and overall system "hype" to determine whether or not to develop for it.  There's even anecdotal evidence, such as the fact there wasn't a single mention of the Vita system or any of it's games in this week's Best Buy ad, and we're not even a month removed from launch.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 06:31:05 PM by Gratch » Logged

Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #916 on: March 11, 2012, 09:46:30 PM »

I think it is nearly comical that people are either A: disappointed with the launch lineup or B: are "doom n gloom" about the systems lifespan/ quality of games/ success etc. really!?! Are we that spoiled?

This thing has BLOWN me out of the water so far. That's the important part..."so far". If it starts out great, can't it only get better?

The vita is a beast. Also, it has answered the prayers of many. Six months ago people said they wanted to have a console experience on a handheld. Now in some circles, that is considered a bad thing... eek

Fucking funny stuff.

Rant over..
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #917 on: March 11, 2012, 10:08:00 PM »

Quote from: Harpua3 on March 11, 2012, 09:46:30 PM

I think it is nearly comical that people are either A: disappointed with the launch lineup or B: are "doom n gloom" about the systems lifespan/ quality of games/ success etc. really!?! Are we that spoiled?

This thing has BLOWN me out of the water so far. That's the important part..."so far". If it starts out great, can't it only get better?

The vita is a beast. Also, it has answered the prayers of many. Six months ago people said they wanted to have a console experience on a handheld. Now in some circles, that is considered a bad thing... eek

Fucking funny stuff.

Rant over..

Therein lies the difference:  you think the launch lineup is incredible and it "blows you out of the water", while I (and others, I suspect) only find it mildly compelling.  I happened to be in a position where I could afford one at the moment, and purchased it mainly on the hope that there will be far better things to come.  There's no question the system is a beast, but without a library of great games, it's dead in the water...hence the wait-and-see approach from many gamers.

Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #918 on: March 12, 2012, 02:30:22 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on March 11, 2012, 10:08:00 PM

Quote from: Harpua3 on March 11, 2012, 09:46:30 PM

Fucking funny stuff.

Rant over..

Therein lies the difference:  you think the launch lineup is incredible and it "blows you out of the water", while I (and others, I suspect) only find it mildly compelling.  I happened to be in a position where I could afford one at the moment, and purchased it mainly on the hope that there will be far better things to come.  There's no question the system is a beast, but without a library of great games, it's dead in the water...hence the wait-and-see approach from many gamers.

I guess my point was it is WAY too early to even have negative thoughts on these matters...
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #919 on: March 12, 2012, 02:55:37 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on March 11, 2012, 10:08:00 PM

Therein lies the difference:  you think the launch lineup is incredible and it "blows you out of the water", while I (and others, I suspect) only find it mildly compelling.

yep, my big draw was Sheboygan 2: Dividend of Ten and that hasn't been as stellar as it could have been.  I can easily afford one, but what's the point of grabbing it for nothing?  now the Game Heaven presentation should have some potential, even if Vice City Nights was fake.

as for doom and gloom, it's a console launch, so it's going to be out there.   just accept it and have another 6 beers or so.

Because I can,
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 29   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: