http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 01:33:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 29   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PS Vita Impressions! Price drop! Casual Edition! Vita TV!  (Read 37231 times)
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #840 on: February 25, 2012, 09:59:43 PM »

I love the Vita, but I'm still mixed about one aspect of it: The analog sticks. Perhaps I just need more time to get used to them, but at the moment they feel kind of small to me.

Are there are calibration tools? I'm probably being paranoid, but I feel like I may have messed up the analog sticks somehow...

Also, has anyone had their system drain completely of power while left in standby mode? About 24 hours of standby mode and the battery was empty.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 01:22:56 AM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #841 on: February 26, 2012, 04:45:56 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on February 25, 2012, 06:44:07 PM

Quote from: msduncan on February 25, 2012, 03:02:34 PM

Quote from: BuckeyeShane on February 25, 2012, 01:19:50 PM

Sony obviously wants me to download Virtua Tennis because I can't find it anywhere.  I really don't want to go digital download route because me being able to sel  them when I'm done is what helps me fund this hobby!

I had to order mine online to be shipped.    Best Buy didn't stock it.   Hell, I couldn't even find any reviews of it for a long time.

I really want Rayman Origins for the Vita, as I tried the demo and I like the way it looks and controls better than the console version.  But I already bought the console version, so the idea of paying for it again just isn't in my nature.  However, if I can get it as the free one in a B2G1 sale, I'd be okay with that.  Sadly, I already bought all the games I really want.  I could convince myself to get BlazBlue, 'cause I like that series, but I was trying to find another title to make up the third.  Virtua Tennis fit that bill perfectly.

There is no way to make that deal happen.

The best bets were Target and Best Buy.  Target doesn't have Rayman available online, but also doesn't have any of the titles in my local stores.  Best Buy doesn't carry Virtua Tennis at all.  At all.  I called numerous people about that, and there's no reason for it that anyone can understand, but they just don't carry it.

It does seem like a wacky launch in the way that the games are available at retail. Target/Best Buy/Toys R Us/ WalMart all seem to have different games in store and online. Only looked like GameStop had everything and they had the shittiest deal.

I ended up cobbling the games I wanted together with a combination of placed, but it wasn't easy.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #842 on: February 26, 2012, 03:19:40 PM »

I just got a chance to test the Party system on the Vita, and it seems to work flawlessly. It was easy to set up a Party and invite a friend to it. Once he joined we could continue chatting no matter what we were doing, as long as we didn't start a game that disables the network that is. This was actual voice chat. I have no idea where the mic is, but we could hear each other well enough. We then booted up Dungeon Hunter Alliance just to test multiplayer for a bit, and ended up playing for more than an hour. It was great fun, and quite amazing to be playing MP smoothly with voice chat on a tiny handheld console.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #843 on: February 26, 2012, 03:50:36 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on February 26, 2012, 03:19:40 PM

I just got a chance to test the Party system on the Vita, and it seems to work flawlessly. It was easy to set up a Party and invite a friend to it. Once he joined we could continue chatting no matter what we were doing, as long as we didn't start a game that disables the network that is. This was actual voice chat. I have no idea where the mic is, but we could hear each other well enough. We then booted up Dungeon Hunter Alliance just to test multiplayer for a bit, and ended up playing for more than an hour. It was great fun, and quite amazing to be playing MP smoothly with voice chat on a tiny handheld console.

Awesome.   I wish I had more friends that bought game systems and stuff like this.    For some reason, most of my real life friends don't game much anymore.    They never were the type to run out and buy a new gadget either.

I think I need some new friends.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #844 on: February 26, 2012, 11:48:23 PM »

Joystiq has an article about their favorite Vita tips. Here is one:

2. Let there be light. You can adjust your PS Vita’s OLED screen brightness mid-game without the hassle of jumping into the Settings menu. Just hold the PS button to bring up a quick-access menu that enables you to adjust brightness and your custom music options. Wanna listen to the soundtrack to Armageddon while carving through Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus? Don’t miss a thing, baby.

Sean Lama
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #845 on: February 26, 2012, 11:53:30 PM »

Can someone recommend which 1 or 2 titles I should check out at the

to get me to think that the Vita is amazing?
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #846 on: February 27, 2012, 12:05:21 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on February 26, 2012, 11:53:30 PM

Can someone recommend which 1 or 2 titles I should check out at the

to get me to think that the Vita is amazing?

From my personal experience, the non big-budget titles are the most impressive. Games like Rayman Origins, Super Stardust HD, Plants Vs. Zombies Vita, and Mutant Blobs Attack look really good and are a lot of fun.

I was surprised by how poor the Uncharted demo looked and played, does anyone know if the full version looks better than the demo?

Sean Lama
Louis Cypher

View Profile
« Reply #847 on: February 27, 2012, 12:15:45 AM »

CabriX on PSN, add me people!

Live Gamer Tag: Kitten0Death
PSN: CabriX
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #848 on: February 27, 2012, 02:14:23 AM »

I have an unhealthy obsession with finding the right Vita wallpaper.    So many of them look awesome but leave no empty room for the App/Game bubbles.    The ideal kind have the subject of the wallpaper to the right or left with plenty of blank room for the bubbles out to their right or left.

/Sigh
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #849 on: February 27, 2012, 03:10:38 AM »

My non-existent willpower met my far larger than expected tax return, and I ended up coming home with a Vita tonight.  Grabbed it from Target, and since they were out of the free 4GB card, I got an 8GB instead.  Will probably upgrade down the road, but am fine to start out with this.  Also picked up Hot Shots Golf.

Am off to a rocky start already though.  4 screens into the initial set-up, I get a notice stating that a system software update is required before I can link my PSN account to this unit, but it gives absolutely no indication how to do said update (hitting "OK" just kicks me back to the "Do you have a PSN account?" screen).  Downloaded this on my PC, which is what I'm assuming will allow me to do the updates.  Will see how this goes...

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #850 on: February 27, 2012, 03:26:43 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on February 27, 2012, 03:10:38 AM

My non-existent willpower met my far larger than expected tax return, and I ended up coming home with a Vita tonight.  Grabbed it from Target, and since they were out of the free 4GB card, I got an 8GB instead.  Will probably upgrade down the road, but am fine to start out with this.  Also picked up Hot Shots Golf.

Am off to a rocky start already though.  4 screens into the initial set-up, I get a notice stating that a system software update is required before I can link my PSN account to this unit, but it gives absolutely no indication how to do said update (hitting "OK" just kicks me back to the "Do you have a PSN account?" screen).  Downloaded this on my PC, which is what I'm assuming will allow me to do the updates.  Will see how this goes...

I think what you needed to do is to let it give you a temporary PSN account, upgrade, and then link your Vita to your PSN account.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #851 on: February 27, 2012, 03:28:51 AM »

You basically have to skip the linking, then go into system settings and do an update, then link through system settings. And yes, it was not intuitive at all and they should have realized it was going to be a bad experience for everyone.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #852 on: February 27, 2012, 03:29:18 AM »

My psn name is teggygah, btw if anyone wants to add me.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #853 on: February 27, 2012, 03:46:57 AM »

Well, that's exciting.  Seems that it wasn't doing a system update because it wasn't getting a Wi-Fi signal.  After experimenting a bit, turns out that I only get around 10-20% signal strength anywhere in my house unless I stand right next to my router, where I get full signal strength.  Which is odd, considering all 3 of my my laptops and my iPhone get full bars anywhere in the house...hell even all the way out to my mailbox.  Not even sure where I'd start troubleshooting that one.

Downloading Super Stardust and Tactics Ogre right now...looking forward to digging into a few games.  Bummed I can't play any of my PSX and a bunch of my PSP titles though.  frown

Asked the kid at Target if they've been selling a lot of these, and his response was "We still have 3-4 out of our initial shipment of 20 units here."  Yikes.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 03:49:08 AM by Gratch » Logged

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #854 on: February 27, 2012, 04:06:16 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on February 27, 2012, 03:46:57 AM

Well, that's exciting.  Seems that it wasn't doing a system update because it wasn't getting a Wi-Fi signal.  After experimenting a bit, turns out that I only get around 10-20% signal strength anywhere in my house unless I stand right next to my router, where I get full signal strength.  Which is odd, considering all 3 of my my laptops and my iPhone get full bars anywhere in the house...hell even all the way out to my mailbox.  Not even sure where I'd start troubleshooting that one.

Downloading Super Stardust and Tactics Ogre right now...looking forward to digging into a few games.  Bummed I can't play any of my PSX and a bunch of my PSP titles though.  frown

Asked the kid at Target if they've been selling a lot of these, and his response was "We still have 3-4 out of our initial shipment of 20 units here."  Yikes.

In regards to your hardware issues, that seems to be the case for most people as they acclimate themselves to the system. Once you get around those obstacles and begin to understand the finer points of operating it though, the Vita is incredibly intuitive.

As for sales, I'm pretty sure I read that sales exceeded Sony's projections already. So, it's doing fine so far.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 04:14:19 AM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #855 on: February 27, 2012, 05:33:31 AM »

I also decided to chime in as I fell prey to the forum effect and other outside influences...

So far this thing is awesome.

Screen, graphics, audio, and the craftsm :nod:anship are all really impressive. I have hotshots, uncharted and wipeout. I haven't touched hotshots yet only bc uncharted is stealing my time. Everything I've seen so far is really topnotch. But, really those animations in uc are sick. Did they use some of the same assets from the ps3 games? It sure looks like it...Gonna try out hotshots in a bit with my buddy in colorado!

Now a few not picks...

The right analog stick placement is really too close to the x button.
The wifi signal is as noted above not as good as other devices. I've read that in numerous places as well...
The charging symbol is way too big...okay, now I'm just being an ass and mocking;).
Obviously battery life...

Other than those few things it's all a way big thumbs up!
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #856 on: February 27, 2012, 12:50:25 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on February 27, 2012, 04:06:16 AM

In regards to your hardware issues, that seems to be the case for most people as they acclimate themselves to the system. Once you get around those obstacles and begin to understand the finer points of operating it though, the Vita is incredibly intuitive.

I'd say that not being able to connect to a WiFi signal (unless I stand in the corner of my basement holding it up next to the router) isn't "understanding a finer point of operating"...it's a pretty significant problem.  Unless there's a way to boost this thing's reception, it might end up on Ebay pretty quickly.  

Other than that, I'm pretty impressed with it.  Both Hot Shots Gold and Super Stardust look incredible, and the touch screen interface is fairly intuitive.  I'm tempted to give Shinobido 2 a shot despite lackluster reviews...I'm willing to forgive a lot for a Tenchu-esque game (This review is talking directly about me).  Hell, it sounds like almost exactly the same game as the original Tenchu:  so-so graphics, lame story, goofy AI, and bad VO work packaged around some fun stealth action.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 12:58:37 PM by Gratch » Logged

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #857 on: February 27, 2012, 02:09:44 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on February 27, 2012, 12:50:25 PM

Quote from: Ridah on February 27, 2012, 04:06:16 AM

I'd say that not being able to connect to a WiFi signal (unless I stand in the corner of my basement holding it up next to the router) isn't "understanding a finer point of operating"...it's a pretty significant problem.  Unless there's a way to boost this thing's reception, it might end up on Ebay pretty quickly.  

I think he was talking about the system update process.  The WiFi thing is crazy.  There are probably some ports or priorities you have to set (which are hoops you shouldn't have to jump through, but there you go).

I will say, I had a similar problem with my supposedly top-of-the-line Netgear router last year.  It was suddenly dropping signals all the time, requiring a reboot (which is step 1 with a router issue, BTW, so I hope you tried that) frequently.  I looked online, and it turned out this was happening to a lot of people and was a hardware fault where it just crapped out after a period of time.  Ridiculous.  I bought a new Asus router that is sexy and kind of amazing.  All is good (for now).

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #858 on: February 27, 2012, 02:28:44 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on February 27, 2012, 02:09:44 PM

The WiFi thing is crazy.  There are probably some ports or priorities you have to set (which are hoops you shouldn't have to jump through, but there you go).

Checked a couple other boards this morning (like this), and it looks like there's lots of people with the same problems.   Will try a reboot tonight and see if that helps.  Hoping it doesn't come down to fiddling with ports or priorities...I'm a networking luddite and am reasonably sure I'll end up borking every connection in my house if I start poking around on the router.  smile
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 02:30:20 PM by Gratch » Logged

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #859 on: February 27, 2012, 03:25:11 PM »

I agree - The Wifi weakness is an issue.

My situation is not as bad, but I'm getting one bar in places in my house where other devices are full strength. Also connecting and disconnecting in some spots too.

Antennagate 2!

We're probably holding it wrong!

msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #860 on: February 27, 2012, 03:33:34 PM »

I will say that mine worked on my phone company supplied router  wihtout problem.   My kids' Nintendo DS systems have trouble connecting to it (though my 3DS does not).

msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #861 on: February 27, 2012, 03:35:15 PM »

Quote from: Devil on February 27, 2012, 03:25:11 PM

I agree - The Wifi weakness is an issue.

My situation is not as bad, but I'm getting one bar in places in my house where other devices are full strength. Also connecting and disconnecting in some spots too.

Antennagate 2!

We're probably holding it wrong!

Strange.   Well to be fair the 3DS has some very limited distance WIFI capabilities as well.    It struggles at the far corner of my house away from my router.     These devices have very small network antennae, so it makes sense they needd a decent signal.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #862 on: February 27, 2012, 04:30:15 PM »

I'm getting a pretty decent signal on my Vita, in fact I get a better signal on it than my iPad up in my bedroom. smile

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #863 on: February 27, 2012, 04:53:08 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on February 27, 2012, 04:30:15 PM

I'm getting a pretty decent signal on my Vita, in fact I get a better signal on it than my iPad up in my bedroom. smile

Same with me.    I've had no trouble thus far.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #864 on: February 27, 2012, 05:28:14 PM »

Seems to be pretty hit and miss, from what I'm reading.  I'm apparently just one of the unlucky ones.  Seems ridiculous to have this issue on a 2012 handheld, but I doubt there's going to be much I can do about it.

The more I think about it, the more I don't think it'll end up being a deal-breaker.  It's still incredibly annoying, but I don't play any MP games, Netflix will be through my iPhone, I won't be using the Vita to surf the web, and if I need to DL anything I can just park the Vita right next to the router for a little while.  In all the years I had my PSP, I can count on one hand the number of times I got online with it.  Suppose I won't be able to submit any high scores to online leaderboards, but that sort of that has never really mattered to me anyways.

msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #865 on: February 27, 2012, 07:08:09 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on February 27, 2012, 05:28:14 PM

Seems to be pretty hit and miss, from what I'm reading.  I'm apparently just one of the unlucky ones.  Seems ridiculous to have this issue on a 2012 handheld, but I doubt there's going to be much I can do about it.

The more I think about it, the more I don't think it'll end up being a deal-breaker.  It's still incredibly annoying, but I don't play any MP games, Netflix will be through my iPhone, I won't be using the Vita to surf the web, and if I need to DL anything I can just park the Vita right next to the router for a little while.  In all the years I had my PSP, I can count on one hand the number of times I got online with it.  Suppose I won't be able to submit any high scores to online leaderboards, but that sort of that has never really mattered to me anyways.

Swap it out?    Or do you think it's compatibility with your router?
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #866 on: February 27, 2012, 08:09:13 PM »

Just finished Uncharted! I think I'll make a separate thread later and post full impressions, but for now, suffice to say that I loved it. smile
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #867 on: February 27, 2012, 08:18:49 PM »

Should we think about getting a game trading club set up?   When you beat or get tired of a game, you can trade it for one you wanted to play to someone else?

Just a thought
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #868 on: February 27, 2012, 08:45:52 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on February 27, 2012, 08:18:49 PM

Should we think about getting a game trading club set up?   When you beat or get tired of a game, you can trade it for one you wanted to play to someone else?

Just a thought

Um...

hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #869 on: February 27, 2012, 08:59:33 PM »

icon_lol

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #870 on: February 27, 2012, 09:55:11 PM »

how dare you suggest that they be mixed in with just regular trades!  OUTRAGE-AGE-AGE-AGE-AGE!  Tongue

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #871 on: February 27, 2012, 10:25:12 PM »

Different forum for impressions. Different forum for trades.

icon_biggrin

faide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #872 on: February 27, 2012, 10:50:29 PM »

I did pick one up over the weekend.  Loving it so far.  I picked up Uncharted and my son picked out Mod Nation racers.  Both are really good.   

Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #873 on: February 27, 2012, 11:00:09 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on February 27, 2012, 08:45:52 PM

Just a thought

Um...

Thank you for posting this. I was thinking the same thing and I have honestly never utilized the trader section. I'm not a big fan of Capcom VS. Marvel and want to trade it off. It was my buy 2 pick 1 freebie and it just doesn't float my boat. Great graphics, though.

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #874 on: February 28, 2012, 12:20:29 AM »

Well, that's exciting.  Seems that it wasn't doing a system update because it wasn't getting a Wi-Fi signal.  After experimenting a bit, turns out that I only get around 10-20% signal strength anywhere in my house unless I stand right next to my router, where I get full signal strength.  Which is odd, considering all 3 of my my laptops and my iPhone get full bars anywhere in the house...hell even all the way out to my mailbox.  Not even sure where I'd start troubleshooting that one.

Downloading Super Stardust and Tactics Ogre right now...looking forward to digging into a few games.  Bummed I can't play any of my PSX and a bunch of my PSP titles though.  frown

Asked the kid at Target if they've been selling a lot of these, and his response was "We still have 3-4 out of our initial shipment of 20 units here."  Yikes.

You should be able to play your PSX games through remote play.

msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #875 on: February 28, 2012, 12:39:57 AM »

Quote from: Crusis on February 27, 2012, 11:00:09 PM

Quote from: Gratch on February 27, 2012, 08:45:52 PM

Should we think about getting a game trading club set up?   When you beat or get tired of a game, you can trade it for one you wanted to play to someone else?

Just a thought

Um...

Thank you for posting this. I was thinking the same thing and I have honestly never utilized the trader section. I'm not a big fan of Capcom VS. Marvel and want to trade it off. It was my buy 2 pick 1 freebie and it just doesn't float my boat. Great graphics, though.

So SUCK it Gratch!  slywink
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #876 on: February 28, 2012, 01:58:56 AM »

Quote from: Devil on February 27, 2012, 10:25:12 PM

icon_biggrin

Do you want a sub-sub forum? icon_twisted

(I could hide a poll in a different forum Tongue)

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #877 on: February 28, 2012, 02:03:11 AM »

Quote from: shon on February 28, 2012, 12:20:29 AM

You should be able to play your PSX games through remote play.

Don't have a PS3, and no plans to get one anytime soon.

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #878 on: February 28, 2012, 02:34:35 AM »

Quote from: Purge on February 28, 2012, 01:58:56 AM

icon_biggrin

Ha! Do it!! icon_biggrin

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #879 on: February 28, 2012, 03:30:05 AM »

Quote from: Devil on February 28, 2012, 02:34:35 AM

Quote from: Purge on February 28, 2012, 01:58:56 AM

icon_biggrin

Ha! Do it!! icon_biggrin

Wow. Devil really DID try to make me do it...

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 29   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: