http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 11:05:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 29   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PS Vita Impressions! Price drop! Casual Edition! Vita TV!  (Read 37257 times)
Teggy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #760 on: February 22, 2012, 09:33:49 PM »

So I call up Lasership this morning and they say the delivery of my package was hand entered and not scanned - fishy, especially since the entry was for 11:30 am and it appeared at around 9 pm. They tried to contact the driver starting at 8:30 am and have still not been able to find him, so they just transferred me to Amazon to get a replacement order sent out. It's one day shipping, but if the timing isn't right I might not get it until Friday. So now I have a Vita (via UPS) and no games or memory card. frown  I bet I can't even use Netflix without the memory card?

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #761 on: February 22, 2012, 09:54:37 PM »

For me, one of the reasons the Vita's interface feels so friendly is because of the touchscreen, which is extremely well implemented.  The combo of the touchscreen with the dual sticks is great - but again the gaming experience is more similar to an iPhone with one of those gamepad attachments than it is to a PS3 on a bigscreen TV.
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #762 on: February 22, 2012, 10:39:38 PM »

For everyone else's reference - the thing you don't want on the PS Vita is the 'blinking blue light of death', where the home button just blinks blue over and over and nothing will happen.

I held the power button for about 20 seconds and it brought up a sort of PS Vita 'safe mode' screen (reset, safe mode, format memory card).

Hoping this doesn't become a recurring issue.

Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #763 on: February 22, 2012, 10:57:54 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 22, 2012, 06:08:57 PM

Quote from: Purge on February 22, 2012, 05:52:58 PM

Fuck. Now I want a Vita.

me too, but there are no games I want yet.   Chubby DooDoo 2: Revenge of Uncle Ben was the only one that could have been a day one buy, but it's gotten bad reviews.  come fall there may be enough out there that I can't also get on the big screen; I'll definitely be keeping an eye out at what's announced at GDC and E3.

I also have yet to see a must have game for the Vita but I may fall to the dark side if Costco has them since I have my annual rewards coupon from AmEx that can only be used at Costco.  CDD2:RUB sounds like a great game for Charlie Kilo but I think something like Uncharted is more to my liking.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #764 on: February 22, 2012, 11:38:16 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on February 22, 2012, 09:33:49 PM

So I call up Lasership this morning and they say the delivery of my package was hand entered and not scanned - fishy, especially since the entry   I bet I can't even use Netflix without the memory card?

At least you don't have to pay a monthly fee on the PSP Vita and to Netflix just to use it on your system, like some of the other guys get away with..  ninja

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #765 on: February 23, 2012, 12:28:21 AM »

Hey Purge,

Can we get this thread moved to the "Show latest unread" forum?
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #766 on: February 23, 2012, 12:30:01 AM »

Quote from: rittchard on February 22, 2012, 09:54:37 PM

For me, one of the reasons the Vita's interface feels so friendly is because of the touchscreen, which is extremely well implemented.  The combo of the touchscreen with the dual sticks is great - but again the gaming experience is more similar to an iPhone with one of those gamepad attachments than it is to a PS3 on a bigscreen TV.

I completely disagree.   I have been a day 1 adopter of nearly every iOS device that has hit the market.   These games in NO WAY resemble iPhone or iPad games.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #767 on: February 23, 2012, 12:31:52 AM »

BTW -- My brainstorm that I had last night fixed the problem.   I deleted the connection that it was apparently trying to connect to, and my Wifi now can stay enabled all the time and I can still get on the 3G when not in range of a Wifi connection.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #768 on: February 23, 2012, 01:01:37 AM »

WOOT my package magically showed up this evening. Time to play!

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #769 on: February 23, 2012, 01:49:03 AM »

Quote from: msduncan on February 23, 2012, 12:31:52 AM

BTW -- My brainstorm that I had last night fixed the problem.   I deleted the connection that it was apparently trying to connect to, and my Wifi now can stay enabled all the time and I can still get on the 3G when not in range of a Wifi connection.

Just don't forget the little people who told you that you should be able to have both on.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Louis Cypher

View Profile
« Reply #770 on: February 23, 2012, 02:00:47 AM »

Fuck, my OLED has some serious "mura" I can only notice it when I'm playing in complete darkness and when the screen is completely black.

Live Gamer Tag: Kitten0Death
PSN: CabriX
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #771 on: February 23, 2012, 03:07:25 AM »

Just unpacked and updated my Vita. I am super impressed with the system. I had a PSP Go and I really can't believe this is even in the same family because it is light years ahead of that POS. Time to hook it up to the PS3 and download some PSP games.

I picked up Uncharted, Lumines, and the Capcom fighting game - can't remember the name. It was buy 2, get one game free at Target.

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
BuckeyeShane
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #772 on: February 23, 2012, 03:33:32 AM »

Quote from: Louis Cypher on February 23, 2012, 02:00:47 AM

Fuck, my OLED has some serious "mura" I can only notice it when I'm playing in complete darkness and when the screen is completely black.

I read that is normal for OLED screens
Louis Cypher

View Profile
« Reply #773 on: February 23, 2012, 03:49:12 AM »

Quote from: BuckeyeShane on February 23, 2012, 03:33:32 AM

Quote from: Louis Cypher on February 23, 2012, 02:00:47 AM

I read that is normal for OLED screens
Yeah, I know  its only noticeable when I play in the dark if the screen is black. Thankfully the screen is really only black in like title sequences  icon_biggrin

Live Gamer Tag: Kitten0Death
PSN: CabriX
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #774 on: February 23, 2012, 07:44:53 AM »

What this console desperately needs right now is some kind of turn-based game that isn't a JRPG (and preferably not Anime-like at all, but I can live with it if I must). These last two days I've wanted to play the Vita a bit in bed before falling asleep, but playing action games isn't a good idea at that time of day. The closest I've got is Everybody's Golf (it's what Hot Shots Golf is called in Europe, it seems), but it's not quite the thing I'm looking for.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #775 on: February 23, 2012, 07:47:58 AM »

Quote from: Clanwolfer on February 22, 2012, 10:39:38 PM

For everyone else's reference - the thing you don't want on the PS Vita is the 'blinking blue light of death', where the home button just blinks blue over and over and nothing will happen.

I held the power button for about 20 seconds and it brought up a sort of PS Vita 'safe mode' screen (reset, safe mode, format memory card).

I picked up a Vita after work and I've already seen this. I left it downloading the update to Hot Shots Golf and when I came back, found it in that state. Don't know if the long-hold on the power button is what we're supposed to be doing but as noted it allowed me to restart and after that it was fine. The notification was there that the download had completed and next time I touched the big orange update icon it installed it.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #776 on: February 23, 2012, 07:57:36 AM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on February 23, 2012, 07:47:58 AM

Don't know if the long-hold on the power button is what we're supposed to be doing

It is. Holding the power button for 30 seconds triggers the Vita's version of Safe Mode, and it's what you're supposed to do when nothing else makes the console respond. 
BuckeyeShane
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #777 on: February 23, 2012, 01:13:56 PM »

I picked up a Vita after work and I've already seen this. I left it downloading the update to Hot Shots Golf and when I came back, found it in that state. Don't know if the long-hold on the power button is what we're supposed to be doing but as noted it allowed me to restart and after that it was fine. The notification was there that the download had completed and next time I touched the big orange update icon it installed it.

I believe the PS button will blink/glow blue when you have a notification, which sound like what happened here as the notification was the the hot shots update had completed.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #778 on: February 23, 2012, 01:22:10 PM »

I played with a demo model at a Best Buy yesterday. Screen looks great, touch screen ability felt adequately responsive (though I was a little unclear sometimes on game menus whether to touch the screen or click a button), having a second thumbstick and two sets of buttons was joyous -- though it leaves many of us old PSP fans wondering what the hell took them so long. I just keep imagining how much more fun my various PSP favorites would've been with the extra thumbstick.  disgust

I almost gave in to impulse but nothing at launch much reaches out to me as much as Killzone: Liberation and SOCOM: Tactical Strike (among others) did on PSP by the time I got one. I'm unconvinced the masses will pay $40-$50 for games for a handheld no matter how wondrous the hardware is, and the Vita felt quite wondrous to me.  icon_smile

I'm sure the games will be available for rent soon enough but that's not going to convince 3rd party developers that they can justify developing for the Vita financially -- most PSP developers did one game, maybe two, and then moved on to the full size consoles where the money was. It's not a platform where an individual or a tiny indy can do interesting things that become a megahit (as on smartphones/tablets). imho that's the platform's Achille's Heel, though maybe Sony can do something about that (help fund third party Vita development, or maybe Kickstarter can help Vita players help fund 3rd party Vita game development etc.).

If I didn't feel that way, I'd have given in to impulse. But since I have two PSPs and many PSP games gathering dust, perhaps I need to get rid of those first to make room for impulse.  icon_smile I am impressed with the Vita and only wish it had come out a couple years earlier though maybe the tech wasn't there yet.

And those memory cards are insanely tiny (smaller than my pinky fingernail). I think if I sneezed, with a card lying around, it would blow away and I'd never find it.  icon_razz
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 01:25:08 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #779 on: February 23, 2012, 01:28:17 PM »

Tried one at BB last night. Killed my need for one pretty quick.

I can wait until there are some must-haves - Dynasty Warriors sounds great, but it also sounds like every other Dynasty Warriors game I've played. Tongue

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #780 on: February 23, 2012, 02:36:58 PM »

Can anyone explain why of the 52 psp games I have downloaded to my PS3, only two are recognized by the Vita content manager? Peacewalker, Persona, Fate/Extra etc, etc, don't show up as being eligible for transfer
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #781 on: February 23, 2012, 02:49:26 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on February 23, 2012, 02:36:58 PM

Can anyone explain why of the 52 psp games I have downloaded to my PS3, only two are recognized by the Vita content manager? Peacewalker, Persona, Fate/Extra etc, etc, don't show up as being eligible for transfer

You have to make sure that you don't install them on your PS3 first (ie. they are still in the bubble on the XMB). You need to also make sure that your Vita is activated on your PSN account. You can only have two portable systems active to play downloaded PSP games, so if you played those other games on another PSP, you may need to deactivate that PSP first.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #782 on: February 23, 2012, 02:50:43 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on February 23, 2012, 02:36:58 PM

Are they installed on the PS3? As far as I understand, they must be A) Not installed (ie. not touched since they were downloaded from PSN) and B) Supported by the Vita.

I had three games in my list, and one of them wasn't possible to transfer. Further research showed that the Vita doesn't support that game yet.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #783 on: February 23, 2012, 03:08:50 PM »

I'm guessing you will both be right. The only games that the Vita recognized are indeed the ones still in the "bubble". I'm downloading Persona 3 again to see if that is indeed the problem.

My account is already tied, but I may need to deactivate a device(s). I own 2 PSP fats, and 2 PSP go devices. But the software was only transferred to one device.

Thanks,

Rob
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #784 on: February 23, 2012, 03:16:22 PM »

Quote from: BuckeyeShane on February 23, 2012, 01:13:56 PM

I believe the PS button will blink/glow blue when you have a notification, which sound like what happened here as the notification was the the hot shots update had completed.

Sounds like what happened, yes, but nothing I tried would wake it up.  icon_neutral

FWIW, I found the User's Guide online and this is what the PS button colors mean:

Check the status of your PS Vita system by seeing how the PS button lights up or blinks:

Lights up blue
The system is on (including when power is being supplied).

Blinks in blue
The system is entering standby mode.

Blinks slowly in blue
There are new notifications, such as those generated when messages arrive.

Lights up orange
The system is charging, either in standby mode or when the system is turned off completely.

Blinks in orange
The system is charging, but the battery charge is too low to turn on the system.
 In this case, wait until the PS button lights up orange.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 03:52:21 PM by MonkeyFinger » Logged

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #785 on: February 23, 2012, 03:24:39 PM »

I had it happen once and held down the power button for a bit, but before it could get to Safe mode, it actually just woke it up finally.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #786 on: February 23, 2012, 03:45:06 PM »

I watched a bit of the Resident Evil cartoon last night via Netflix. I definitely get that splotchiness in dark scenes, but otherwise it looked pretty amazing.

Played a little of Uncharted, which plays a lot like regular uncharted. I did find that the buttons are not ideally positioned in relation to the right stick as someone mentioned, so I'll have to get used to it.

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #787 on: February 23, 2012, 03:54:13 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on February 23, 2012, 03:45:06 PM

I watched a bit of the Resident Evil cartoon last night via Netflix. I definitely get that splotchiness in dark scenes, but otherwise it looked pretty amazing.

Played a little of Uncharted, which plays a lot like regular uncharted. I did find that the buttons are not ideally positioned in relation to the right stick as someone mentioned, so I'll have to get used to it.

Yeah, I am pretty impressed with Netflix on the Vita. It looks great.

Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #788 on: February 23, 2012, 03:57:18 PM »

How does everyone feel, since we're in this forum anyway, about me throwing up some individual game impressions/high scorefest threads to organize the discussion?

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #789 on: February 23, 2012, 03:59:56 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on February 23, 2012, 12:30:01 AM

Quote from: rittchard on February 22, 2012, 09:54:37 PM

I completely disagree.   I have been a day 1 adopter of nearly every iOS device that has hit the market.   These games in NO WAY resemble iPhone or iPad games.

I'm a big iOS lover, but to me the iOS game scene is still fairly immature. It has improved a ton over the last year, but the vast majority of titles don't feel nearly as meaty as a console title. Then again, when you are paying a buck or two, that's what you get. I love my iPad, but I don't think I'd want to play Skyrim or ME3 on it if you know what I mean.

Consoles are perfect for certain types of games. Handhelds are perfect for certain types of games, and so are iDevices. There's no one thing that does everything well. Hell, I just built a new PC primarily to play MMOs with.

I really hope the Vita does well. The original PSP was such a compelling piece of hardware for its time. With the 3DS floundering in N.A. I want to see some handheld system do well.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #790 on: February 23, 2012, 04:10:56 PM »

Quote from: Clanwolfer on February 23, 2012, 03:57:18 PM

How does everyone feel, since we're in this forum anyway, about me throwing up some individual game impressions/high scorefest threads to organize the discussion?

Go for it! smile

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #791 on: February 23, 2012, 04:15:52 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on February 23, 2012, 04:10:56 PM

Quote from: Clanwolfer on February 23, 2012, 03:57:18 PM

Go for it! smile

Agreed. Otherwise, what is the point of having a sub-forum?

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #792 on: February 23, 2012, 04:16:27 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on February 23, 2012, 03:59:56 PM

I love my iPad, but I don't think I'd want to play Skyrim or ME3 on it if you know what I mean.

Agreed, but we have yet to see that sort of game pulled off on anything but the "big boy" consoles yet.  Vita is probably the first one we've seen that's capable of getting close, but I have my doubts as to whether we'll ever see anything that ambitious.  I sincerely hope we do, but have a hard time seeing any developer take the risk.

Consoles are perfect for certain types of games. Handhelds are perfect for certain types of games, and so are iDevices. There's no one thing that does everything well.

This is exactly why console fanboyism baffles me.  While many of them don't float my particular boat, the iPhone/iPad has some truly awesome games.    

I really hope the Vita does well. The original PSP was such a compelling piece of hardware for its time.

nod  

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #793 on: February 23, 2012, 04:29:10 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on February 23, 2012, 04:16:27 PM

I really hope the Vita does well. The original PSP was such a compelling piece of hardware for its time.

nod  

I forgot to type the rest of that thought, which was that the software support was horrible (as we all know). Go look at a release list for 3DS. It looks like PSP used to. Just terrible.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 07:23:29 PM by Misguided » Logged

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #794 on: February 23, 2012, 04:42:23 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on February 23, 2012, 04:16:27 PM

I love my iPad, but I don't think I'd want to play Skyrim or ME3 on it if you know what I mean.

Agreed, but we have yet to see that sort of game pulled off on anything but the "big boy" consoles yet.  Vita is probably the first one we've seen that's capable of getting close, but I have my doubts as to whether we'll ever see anything that ambitious.  I sincerely hope we do, but have a hard time seeing any developer take the risk.

Consoles are perfect for certain types of games. Handhelds are perfect for certain types of games, and so are iDevices. There's no one thing that does everything well.

This is exactly why console fanboyism baffles me.  While many of them don't float my particular boat, the iPhone/iPad has some truly awesome games.    

nod  

The iPad, 3DS, Android tablets.....while all pretty good devices, all have some major weaknesses. With the iPad and Android tablets, it's the controls. It works well with some games (casual puzzle games or strategy games mainly) but the majority feel off in some way. It's just not the same as having real physical controls.

The 3DS, well it's fun and has some good games....but the lack of software and the relative low power of the system is holding it back. 3D is pretty much a gimmick and will wear thin soon (it already has for me) and if that is the only thing that Nintendo is bringing to the table over the DS....it's not going to last long.

I really hope the Vita sells well, since it seems like it is the total package. It has a great software lineup. It's more powerful than any other handheld system out there. It also has a great online system going. Apple and Nintendo are a mess in terms of Online support. The whole Gamecenter thing with Apple is a step in the right direction, but they really need to improve it to have a prayer in keeping up with Xbox Live and PSN. It's not even close. Nintendo....yeah....lets not even go there. They are so far behind is not even funny anymore, just sad. frown

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #795 on: February 23, 2012, 04:45:33 PM »

You know, the 3DS was - for my household- a big step down from the DSiXL.

Going back to a tiny screen was disappointing.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #796 on: February 23, 2012, 05:07:36 PM »

The 3DS is considerably more powerful than the DS though, regardless of whether you like the 3D effect or not. Just look at Resident Evil Revelations, a game that looks very good for a Nintendo console.

Pro tip:

Did you know you can replace the backgrounds for each screen on your main menu? I find the default menus to be somewhat chaotic and hard to organize. Considering that I'm a very organized person, that's a hard pill to swallow. Have no fear, a solution is here! Go to a site like PS Vita Themes and download the wallpapers you like. Copy them to your Vita through the Content Manager (or just use the Vita browser and download from there), then go to the main menu and hold your finger down for a few seconds until the menu changes into edit mode. In the lower right corner you'll now find a button that lets you change the background. Click this, then the upper left icon which represents bitmaps. Pick the wallpaper of your choice. This replaces the wallpaper for that page only, so if you've got multiple pages you can have different wallpapers for each one.

Here are two of my pages after tweaking and customizing them:

The icons appear to be slightly off in these images, but that's because they keep swaying back and forth.

You can also replace the image shown when you turn on the Vita, either from a completely powered off state or from sleep mode. You do this by going to the Photos app. Navigate to the picture of your choice (it should have a size of 960 x 544 to appear crisp on your screen) and press the bubble in the lower right. Choose "Use as Start Screen", and voila! smile
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #797 on: February 23, 2012, 05:24:23 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on February 23, 2012, 12:28:21 AM

Hey Purge,

Can we get this thread moved to the "Show latest unread" forum?

Done. Tongue

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #798 on: February 23, 2012, 05:47:59 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on February 23, 2012, 04:42:23 PM

It has a has potential for great software lineup.

FTFY.

Just my opinion, but outside of Uncharted, I don't see much in the Vita lineup that screams "OMG MUST HAVE".  YMMV, different strokes, and all that.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #799 on: February 23, 2012, 06:13:18 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on February 23, 2012, 05:47:59 PM

Quote from: Hetz on February 23, 2012, 04:42:23 PM

It has a has potential for great software lineup.

FTFY.

Just my opinion, but outside of Uncharted, I don't see much in the Vita lineup that screams "OMG MUST HAVE".  YMMV, different strokes, and all that.

Yeah, that is true. I do think that it has one of the best launch lineups in history though. At least in terms of quantity of titles. There are a ton of different games for the system, no matter what your taste in games. Most of them are actually quite good as well, not just shovelware rushed out to meet launch (ie. Madden 3D for the 3DS vs FIFA Soccer for the Vita).

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 29   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: