http://gamingtrend.com
April 16, 2014, 05:24:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 29   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PS Vita Impressions! Price drop! Casual Edition! Vita TV!  (Read 34614 times)
msduncan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #720 on: February 22, 2012, 12:27:52 AM »

I also disagree with this being in this low rent touch screen phone forum.    It's an insult frankly.   We aren't discussing Where's My Water and Angry Birds:  President's Day Edition.     We are discussing the launch of a super slim Playstation 3 for all intents and purposes.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #721 on: February 22, 2012, 12:28:14 AM »

Oh...and I don't see a PSN Store update yet.    ninja
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #722 on: February 22, 2012, 12:45:53 AM »

I was at Best Buy and the guy showed me the Gravity Rush (JRPG) demo, looked and played really cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8JNZScD6tI

- - -

Oh yeah, I for one am glad this thread is finally where it belongs.  I'm not sure why for things like Vita and iOS, many of you seem to prefer the one single thread with a bazillion different topics smushed into it, rather than individual threads for individual games.  If you think the Vita is as much a home console that happens to be portable, why not give each game the same devotion you give to Console games?  And in that case, what's the harm in doing it in a separate forum for more clarity?

Besides, doesn't the Vita use an ARM processor plus touch screen, in effect being more similar hardware-wise to an iPad than a PS3?
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #723 on: February 22, 2012, 12:51:56 AM »

Quote from: rittchard on February 22, 2012, 12:45:53 AM

I was at Best Buy and the guy showed me the Gravity Rush (JRPG) demo, looked and played really cool.

- - -

Oh yeah, I for one am glad this thread is finally where it belongs.  I'm not sure why for things like Vita and iOS, many of you seem to prefer the one single thread with a bazillion different topics smushed into it, rather than individual threads for individual games.  If you think the Vita is as much a home console that happens to be portable, why not give each game the same devotion you give to Console games?  And in that case, what's the harm in doing it in a separate forum for more clarity?

Besides, doesn't the Vita use an ARM processor plus touch screen, in effect being more similar hardware-wise to an iPad than a PS3?

Vita bends iPad over it's second(or even first) analog stick and makes it her biotch.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #724 on: February 22, 2012, 01:18:09 AM »

I live in very rural Alabama, and there are $31,000 worth of Vitas playing within a 10 mile radius of me on Near tonight.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #725 on: February 22, 2012, 01:21:15 AM »

Man, I hope the remote play feature doesn't turn out to be a dud. I would love to play some PS3 games in bed. Even Killzone 3, which they claimed would work, doesn't work.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #726 on: February 22, 2012, 02:07:30 AM »

Quote from: msduncan on February 22, 2012, 12:51:56 AM

- - -

Oh yeah, I for one am glad this thread is finally where it belongs.  I'm not sure why for things like Vita and iOS, many of you seem to prefer the one single thread with a bazillion different topics smushed into it, rather than individual threads for individual games.  If you think the Vita is as much a home console that happens to be portable, why not give each game the same devotion you give to Console games?  And in that case, what's the harm in doing it in a separate forum for more clarity?

Vita bends iPad over it's second(or even first) analog stick and makes it her biotch.

Roll Eyes  Haven't we progressed past "my console's dick is bigger than yours"?

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #727 on: February 22, 2012, 02:26:15 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on February 22, 2012, 02:07:30 AM

- - -

Oh yeah, I for one am glad this thread is finally where it belongs.  I'm not sure why for things like Vita and iOS, many of you seem to prefer the one single thread with a bazillion different topics smushed into it, rather than individual threads for individual games.  If you think the Vita is as much a home console that happens to be portable, why not give each game the same devotion you give to Console games?  And in that case, what's the harm in doing it in a separate forum for more clarity?

Roll Eyes  Haven't we progressed past "my console's dick is bigger than yours"?

ninja

... nope, not yet. slywink

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #728 on: February 22, 2012, 02:27:00 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on February 22, 2012, 01:21:15 AM

Man, I hope the remote play feature doesn't turn out to be a dud. I would love to play some PS3 games in bed. Even Killzone 3, which they claimed would work, doesn't work.

If I could play Skyrim via Remote Play, I would die happy....  smile

Oh and PSN still hasn't updated! frown

I always seems the bigger updates take longer to publish...ugh....

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #729 on: February 22, 2012, 02:54:24 AM »

I was wondering when this would get shuffled off.  Bonus points for upsetting msduncan.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #730 on: February 22, 2012, 03:01:47 AM »

Arg, my games and memory card were supposedly delivered this morning at 11 and the package is nowhere to be found.

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #731 on: February 22, 2012, 03:02:54 AM »

I best not be seeing 3DS crap in the other forum now either!!

Bastids!!

icon_biggrin

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #732 on: February 22, 2012, 03:03:32 AM »

So, how's the battery life?

Ruining language with my terrible words.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #733 on: February 22, 2012, 03:18:03 AM »

Quote from: msduncan on February 21, 2012, 07:39:35 PM

Reply to my inquiry with Sony about having to disable Wifi to use 3G:

Thank you for taking the time to contact Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC (SCEA) regarding the 3G and WiFi connections. My name is Sandy and I will assist you. Congratulations on your new PS®Vita! I sincerely apologize for any frustration this may have caused and I can certainly answer your questions.

I do understand the confusion this would cause, and I am sorry for the inconvenience you have experienced. The PS Vita will continue attempting to connect to a Wi-Fi signal as long as it is enabled. You were exactly correct to disable the Wi-Fi so the system would connect using the 3G data plan. The system functions in this way so you will always know when you are using the data plan.

So, when I am out and about, I don't turn off my WiFi.  It detects that I am not connected, though if there are hotspots around, it will bring up a window to allow me to choose one if I desire.  I then cancel that and it uses 3G.  I'm not sure why she is telling you that you need to turn it off to use 3G.

Maybe someone else with 3G enabled can back me up here.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #734 on: February 22, 2012, 03:46:53 AM »

BRAINSTORM!

When I first got to work with my Vita last week I tried to join a Wireless network there and forgot that it's set up to have a certificate on each device that is accessing.  I entered my user ID and password, but it could never join because my vita doesn't have a cert.    I never told the Vita to 'forget' this network....

I BET the Vita is continuously trying to join this Wifi network unless I turn it off....thus allowing the 3G to connect.    Tomorrow I will force it to forget the network and then try it.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #735 on: February 22, 2012, 03:51:47 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on February 22, 2012, 03:01:47 AM

Arg, my games and memory card were supposedly delivered this morning at 11 and the package is nowhere to be found.

WTF stolen from your front door???
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #736 on: February 22, 2012, 04:10:44 AM »

Quote from: msduncan on February 22, 2012, 03:46:53 AM

BRAINSTORM!

When I first got to work with my Vita last week I tried to join a Wireless network there and forgot that it's set up to have a certificate on each device that is accessing.  I entered my user ID and password, but it could never join because my vita doesn't have a cert.    I never told the Vita to 'forget' this network....

I BET the Vita is continuously trying to join this Wifi network unless I turn it off....thus allowing the 3G to connect.    Tomorrow I will force it to forget the network and then try it.

That is actually a really good idea! I bet that is what is causing your problem.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #737 on: February 22, 2012, 04:30:47 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on February 22, 2012, 03:51:47 AM

Quote from: Teggy on February 22, 2012, 03:01:47 AM

WTF stolen from your front door???

I really hope not. I live in a very quiet neighborhood and we get things left out all the time. My wife even had two packages at the front door for her. Just not mine. Think I will work from home tomorrow just so I can make sure the console gets delivered and I'll have to call the shipping co (they were closed when I called). My next door neighbor has been known to grab stuff for me, but he usually brings it over when we are home.

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #738 on: February 22, 2012, 04:50:31 AM »

Ugh, I'm not sure where in the GT bureaucracy it was decided to lump portable consoles with phone games, but I'm certainly not in support of it either. Gaming on a touchscreen is like taking the paintbrush away from an artist and telling them to use their fingers instead.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #739 on: February 22, 2012, 05:21:20 AM »

Update is live.  Netflix included!
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #740 on: February 22, 2012, 12:14:12 PM »

See, this thread is already dead because of being moved.  slywink
Louis Cypher

View Profile
« Reply #741 on: February 22, 2012, 01:01:00 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on February 22, 2012, 12:14:12 PM

See, this thread is already dead because of being moved.  slywink

I demand satisfaction!!!!!! move this thread back! paranoid

Live Gamer Tag: Kitten0Death
PSN: CabriX
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #742 on: February 22, 2012, 01:18:52 PM »

I got a $20 credit towards vita stuff from amazon because they added a free 4gb card to the wifi orders after I ordered, pretty cool.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #743 on: February 22, 2012, 03:13:20 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on February 22, 2012, 04:50:31 AM

Ugh, I'm not sure where in the GT bureaucracy it was decided to lump portable consoles with phone games, but I'm certainly not in support of it either. Gaming on a touchscreen is like taking the paintbrush away from an artist and telling them to use their fingers instead.

Perhaps you should have replied to the "GT bureaucracy" that made this a community-facing decision?

http://gamingtrend.com/forums/forum-and-site-feedback/portable-gaming-should-it-have-its-own-section/

It wasn't my suggestion, I simply seconded it. You'll note all the options placed there.

Frankly, putting hand-held gaming (regardless of platform, since "smartphone gaming" seems to be creeping into the hand-held market) made a lot of sense. Since gaming platforms have also had more things added to it (web browsers, for example) they are trying to blur lines.

On topic:

As for the paintbrush / fingerpaint comment, it's funny how the DS, DS Lite, DSi, DSiXL, 3DS, and the Vita all have capacitive touch (Vita having TWO surfaces). And using buttons to control actions is exactly what paraplegics have to live with - we simply accept this as gaming standards because it's how it's always been done. How many times have people lamented QTEs (seriously, I just hit A, then B, the X to slice an AT-ST in half??!!).

The only thing that's missing from touchscreen gaming is tactile feedback, and that is already possible.

It would have been nice if Sony could have squeezed Senseg's tech into the Vita. Perhaps the next gen will offer that. I am Vita-curious, but not having the resources, or the must-have titles drawing me to it, means I can wait.

Also, the 3G version isn't available in Canada. Even if I didn't sign up for an account, I would love to have the option.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 03:17:32 PM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #744 on: February 22, 2012, 04:03:23 PM »

I can see the Netflix being a nice add-on. It's a little clunky (the UI isn't nearly as responsive as the Vita main pages, which is a little disappointing), but once you get into a video it seems to take full advantage of the awesome screen.

I mean, we pretty much seem to expect that anything mobile with a screen and wireless can play Netflix now - and I'm sure that it will be nice for the folks that either have a Vita and not a smartphone, or are in a situation where they don't want to murder their phone's battery to watch a video. If I'm traveling and the wifi is decent, I'd rather watch on my iPad, but it does give me one more option - and this way if I'm browsing the web, or doing more email than I want to on my phone, I have another option.

...yes, I have a real gadget problem.

Louis Cypher

View Profile
« Reply #745 on: February 22, 2012, 04:31:51 PM »

Its funny how when I'm not waiting for UPS they deliver around 11:30, but when Im anxiously awaiting something new like the Vita, they always seem to show up around 6. Should have taken off work tomorrow instead of today, oh well!

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #746 on: February 22, 2012, 05:49:35 PM »

Motorstorm RC will be out ifor the Vita and PS3 in North America on March 6th, according to the Playstation Blog. Yay!

Also, Dynasty Warriors NEXT got a 8.0 from IGN. smile

Visually, Dynasty Warriors Next looks on a par with the home console games, and on the Vita's OLED screen, the character models look even sharper and more detailed. The frame-rate is consistent even when tigers, bears and wolves enter the fray, though you shouldn't expect that draw distance to improve. If it’s been a while since you played a Warriors game, perhaps it’s time to reconsider: it works as both a cathartically satisfying hack-and-slash on the easier difficulties, and a surprisingly thoughtful action-based strategy game on the higher levels. If you’re looking for something a little different to accompany your new handheld, you could do a lot worse than pick up Dynasty Warriors Next.

Sounds good to me!

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #747 on: February 22, 2012, 05:52:58 PM »

Fuck. Now I want a Vita.

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #748 on: February 22, 2012, 05:57:11 PM »

Quote from: Purge on February 22, 2012, 05:52:58 PM

Fuck. Now I want a Vita.

Resistance is futile....   slywink

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #749 on: February 22, 2012, 06:07:51 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on February 22, 2012, 05:49:35 PM

Motorstorm RC will be out ifor the Vita and PS3 in North America on March 6th, according to the Playstation Blog. Yay!

Wait what? It's not out over there? I bought the game yesterday. Does this mean that *gasp* a European Playstation owner gets a game before the US for once? *looks outside* Well, there is snow out there, so at least something is freezing over. Tongue
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #750 on: February 22, 2012, 06:08:57 PM »

Fuck. Now I want a Vita.

me too, but there are no games I want yet.   Chubby DooDoo 2: Revenge of Uncle Ben was the only one that could have been a day one buy, but it's gotten bad reviews.  come fall there may be enough out there that I can't also get on the big screen; I'll definitely be keeping an eye out at what's announced at GDC and E3.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #751 on: February 22, 2012, 06:20:33 PM »

Fuck. Now I want a Vita.

Good - Then, once you have it, we can move this thread back to the big boy forum again!

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #752 on: February 22, 2012, 06:27:17 PM »

I hope it doesn't take forever for delivery!

Sean Lama
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #753 on: February 22, 2012, 06:27:38 PM »

Quote from: Devil on February 22, 2012, 06:20:33 PM

Fuck. Now I want a Vita.

Good - Then, once you have it, we can move this thread back to the big boy forum again!

thumbsup icon_cool

Come on Purge, give the people (and me!) what they want smile

Sean Lama
Louis Cypher

View Profile
« Reply #754 on: February 22, 2012, 07:01:05 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on February 22, 2012, 06:27:38 PM

Fuck. Now I want a Vita.

thumbsup icon_cool

Here here! ..CeeKay, can you post screen shots of Chubby DooDoo please?

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #755 on: February 22, 2012, 07:20:56 PM »

Did you know that the Vita supports taking screenshots? You can do this by hitting the Home and Start buttons at the same time. Here's an example of a screenshot of Uncharted that I just took:

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #756 on: February 22, 2012, 08:00:46 PM »

Fuck. Now I want a Vita.

Fuck. Now I want a Vita.

thumbsup icon_cool

thumbsup icon_cool

This was neither my implementation or my decision (I'm not a forum mod) - though I fully support both. I was asked to fire up a poll, and it was put in the appropriate sub-forum (site feedback).

A case can be made for or against - it would seem to me that it would be even more effective if we were to scrap the forum (SMF) entirely, and use something that relied on tags and clouds (ick!). puke Tongue slywink

At this point, the Vita and DS games should likely dominate this sub-forum anyways. I don't see folks going through "ooo, this app here is cool" and spawning a thousand threads all alike, unless it's worth it (Hero Academy, for instance). If the DS and Vita stuff isn't in there, it could end up like the sports forum.

I would suggest using "show latest unread" - it is sub-forum agnostic. biggrin
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 08:03:07 PM by Purge » Logged

Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #757 on: February 22, 2012, 09:12:30 PM »

Okay, against my better judgement, I placed an order for a 3G/wifi launch unit at Amazon. Freakin' forum effect!! Tongue

It was actually a good time to get it. I had $40 in Amazon pre-order credits, along with another $60 in credit from my Amazon Visa card, so I picked up the $299 Vita for $199.

Now to go figure out what games to get...
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #758 on: February 22, 2012, 09:15:49 PM »

So, in summary, we are in here because Purge hates us all.

icon_wink

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #759 on: February 22, 2012, 09:18:42 PM »

Quote from: Devil on February 22, 2012, 09:15:49 PM

So, in summary, we are in here because Purge hates us all.

icon_wink

It's not hate. It's rough lovin'.
I can see how you may have been confused.

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 29   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: