http://gamingtrend.com
December 18, 2014, 10:40:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 29   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PS Vita Impressions! Price drop! Casual Edition! Vita TV!  (Read 42666 times)
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #560 on: February 17, 2012, 03:08:04 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on February 17, 2012, 01:32:51 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on February 17, 2012, 01:11:26 AM

snapshot 'review' of ScoobyDoo 2: Revenge of Ken (or however you pronounce it).

Come on, the least you can do is type out the proper name: Shinobido 2.

Being someone who has had to type the annoyingly convoluted title many times, I give his take on it a thumbs up  icon_wink

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #561 on: February 17, 2012, 03:26:39 AM »

OK - The moment you've all been waiting for...

Hardware -

I'm not going to go over the same old stuff that everyone else has mentioned, but just bring up a few things I didn't like. After only 3 hours I think it's the beset handheld game system I've ever used, so don't take these criticisms the wrong way. This thing is great overall.

Weight: Not as solid as the PSP which is a little disappointing to me, feels a bit more hollow. I'm sure most people think lighter is better for something you'e going to hold all the time, but I was hoping for a bit more weight to it.

Using games: They REALLY want you to download games. That awful game slot/door combo is a pain in the ass. I'm a guy, and don't have fingernails, opening that door is a pain in the ass. Why is it even there?!? The DS doesn't need it.

Right stick: Yes, we all wanted it, but it might take some time to get used to the location. It's so close to the "X" button that your thumb actually rests on it when you are using the buttons. Wish it was off-set a little more and out of the way.

Start and Select buttons: Why not have those lit? Just a thought.

None of these are awful, deal breaking things, just what I thought when going through the system in this brief amount of time.

Now for the games...

FIFA - Looks amazing, plays well. The back touch is nice, but had to turn it off early into my first game. You get a little alert on the top of the screen when you might be inadvertantly touching it, so you know. That's only when you are defending, but things change on the other side of the pitch (See! I used a soccer, no FOOTBALL word!!). If you are in the offensive zone and touch the back of the screen, it thinks you want to shoot at the net wherever you are touching. Not good. Fortunately you can just turn that control aspect off.

I'm not soccer expert, so I can't comment on gameplay subtleties, but it's good enough for me that I think I'm going to trade in my 360 copy of FIFA '12. Again, I'm not a huge soccer fan so two games is overkill for me (it ain't hockey!).

Hot Shots - Exactly what I expected. looks really nice and play like you think it would. Cool new camera stuff. Nothing shocking, but the same solid came we've come to love.

Escape Plan - Very cool. The controls can be touchy at times but it's a great game for this system at launch. The only other drawback would be that you could see an iPhone version for $3 at some point.

Haven't touched Little Deviants yet, but can't wait to grab some other games too.

Devil has spoken!  slywink

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #562 on: February 17, 2012, 03:28:21 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on February 17, 2012, 01:00:41 AM

Can you play the PS1 games on a Vita like you can on a PSP?  That might make a difference in my decision.

What to do, what to do...

Yes, you will be able to do that. You can't yet, but it is coming soon in a Firmware Update.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #563 on: February 17, 2012, 04:13:06 AM »

Lumines - It's hard for me to tell you if you're going to like Lumines or not based on the demo - honestly, you probably already know. Is your idea of a compelling plot "Blocks! Blocks are falling! Where should they all go?" If so, you're in good shape here.

Not much to indicate from the demo if anything substantial feature-wise has changed since I last played (back on the original PSP), and there's not really any Vita-specific system selling points here - but the screen is gorgeous, colorful, and there's lots of stuff going on at a smooth frame rate. I liked the songs there were to be had in the demo, and it put out some great audio when I hooked it up to my speakers. This is certainly a 'buy' for me, if only based on how much I missed playing it back when my original PSP got stolen - just a question of whether this will be one of the games to get me through the launch, or whether I keep an eye out for a price drop on Amazon of the actual physical game.

Rayman - One caveat - I am just not much of a platformer guy. I was only ever semi-competent at Mario, I missed out on a few console generations between the NES and the XBox, and side-scrollers never really did it for me as a genre. I even bought the much lauded SonicCD when it came out on iOS, and I've hardly touched it after a few levels. But I could absolutely see myself buying this one - the art is absolutely gorgeous, and the controls are really, really tight. I haven't played any previous Rayman games, so I'm not sure if I'm missing out on a lot of mythology and backstory or if the whole deal is "save adorable things and jump on/smack around cranky-looking things". Doesn't really seem to matter - at least for a few levels, I had a blast. I think the level design is great (for me, at least) - there's plenty of spots that an 'old-school' platformer would have over bottomless pits, in Rayman they're usually into shallow pools of water (given, sometimes with a monster you have to get away from quickly, but that's a lot less annoying than dying). Looks like it has plenty of unlockables, and it certainly wasn't a chore to replay a level just to see if I could do it better.

Uncharted - I guess this is pretty clearly what they're hoping the system seller will be - the demo was gorgeous, fantastic lighting, a little bit of fun banter, and a great AAA feel to it. Sometimes had some trouble picking out where I was supposed to be working my way towards in the building on fire, but I'm not exactly an experienced player of the franchise, either. The sniping section got a little frustrating just because I was accidentally brushing the touchpad (which controlled zoom), and the gesture-based QTEs felt a little tacked on (I'd rather he do the thing while I'm swiping, rather than get the swipes right and then watch him do the thing). The only thing that makes me a little leery is that there wasn't any non-sniping-based combat in the demo - I'd wonder whether more hectic firefights might get frustrating. But I think that's maybe a holdover from trying to control things via touch, stylus, or one stick for so long on portable games. Again, this is certainly a buy for me, though I'm hoping used copies start to show up cheap or for trade pretty quickly, just because I don't personally tend to replay this type of game much.

Dungeon Hunter: Alliance - Was pleasantly surprised by the substance of this demo - it gives you a pretty good area to explore and the ability to go through character levels 6-10. Graphics are pretty, and it certainly looked to scratch the loot-collecting itch - you've got stats to play with, a pretty big skills tree, and plenty of inventory slots to mess with (though the auto-equip was a nice feature too - just equip the probable best stuff and move on).  The combat doesn't quite have the feel that I'd like - too often I felt like my special attacks should have hit but missed, and I was missing enemies with my first swing (just out of range) a whole heck of a lot, though it was much more satisfying when I switched from sword and shield to dual-wielding. The written dialogue is godawful, to the point where I'm not 100% sure it wasn't intentionally campy, but you don't exactly spend a lot of time talking or reading. It doesn't feel AAA, but if you don't like FIFA or puzzle games, this might be the one where you can put in the most hours for now while waiting for the game lineup to improve.

Little Deviants: I only played through about four games of this - definitely a fun 'pack-in' game for the bundle, another bright colorful one that shows off the screen well, and uses the controls nicely. My favorite thing so far was the 'alternate reality' shooter where it uses the camera on the PS and you swivel around shooting down ships flying around the room. I'll definitely play this a little bit more - tough to go wrong with well-designed minigames.

I'm actually a little torn on what to buy, since the two games I was really interested in at launch don't have demos. Wipeout is a near-certainty at some point, especially since it will do the PS3 Connect thing, and I guess there's plenty of good buzz on Super Stardust Delta and Escape Plan. But just about every game, save Asphalt, that I played the demo of today was also very plausibly a 'buy', and I'm almost certainly going to snag the Sony MLB game when it comes out next month as well (since the first PSP 'The Show' was far and away the baseball game I spent the most hours on).

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #564 on: February 17, 2012, 04:23:17 AM »

Dungeon Hunter: Alliance - Was pleasantly surprised by the substance of this demo - it gives you a pretty good area to explore and the ability to go through character levels 6-10. Graphics are pretty, and it certainly looked to scratch the loot-collecting itch - you've got stats to play with, a pretty big skills tree, and plenty of inventory slots to mess with (though the auto-equip was a nice feature too - just equip the probable best stuff and move on).  The combat doesn't quite have the feel that I'd like - too often I felt like my special attacks should have hit but missed, and I was missing enemies with my first swing (just out of range) a whole heck of a lot, though it was much more satisfying when I switched from sword and shield to dual-wielding. The written dialogue is godawful, to the point where I'm not 100% sure it wasn't intentionally campy, but you don't exactly spend a lot of time talking or reading. It doesn't feel AAA, but if you don't like FIFA or puzzle games, this might be the one where you can put in the most hours for now while waiting for the game lineup to improve.

Honestly, I have had more fun with this game (I got the full version from PSN) than any other game, other than Super Stardust Delta, for the Vita so far. I love loot collecting games though, so YMMV. I didn't expect much of it (coming from Gameloft), but I have got to say there is a ton of pretty good gaming to be had in it. Sure, it's not Diablo 3...but it's fun! I also like how on the Live Space area for the game it shows the last "Epic Loot Drop" you got and your last Trophy or progress to another trophy (it rotates).

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #565 on: February 17, 2012, 04:40:19 AM »

I just wanted to point out that puzzle/platformer Mutant Blobs Attack is coming next Tuesday, here's a link to our story on it. I thought the trailer for it actually looked very interesting and at $8 I'm probably going to download it.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 04:42:29 AM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #566 on: February 17, 2012, 06:44:14 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on February 17, 2012, 04:40:19 AM

I just wanted to point out that puzzle/platformer Mutant Blobs Attack is coming next Tuesday, here's a link to our story on it. I thought the trailer for it actually looked very interesting and at $8 I'm probably going to download it.

Yeah, I think that game looks like lots of fun and it will probably be one of the first games I download when I get my Vita next week.  It looks like a proper sequel to Gish mixed with a ton of other crazy stuff. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #567 on: February 17, 2012, 03:44:18 PM »

I don't suppose that if I bought Dungeon Hunter Alliance for the PS3 that it would work on the Vita.  I'd have to get a new version, right?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #568 on: February 17, 2012, 04:07:29 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on February 17, 2012, 03:44:18 PM

I don't suppose that if I bought Dungeon Hunter Alliance for the PS3 that it would work on the Vita.  I'd have to get a new version, right?

I wish.  One, because I already own the PS3 version and two, because the PS3 version is much cheaper and if you could do that I'd buy that version if I didn't already own it.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #569 on: February 17, 2012, 04:12:39 PM »

Quote from: Devil on February 17, 2012, 03:26:39 AM

Haven't touched Little Deviants yet, but can't wait to grab some

Your honor, let the records show that Devil did have intent to touch.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #570 on: February 17, 2012, 04:24:42 PM »

Creative editing!!  icon_biggrin

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #571 on: February 17, 2012, 04:30:55 PM »

Quote from: Devil on February 17, 2012, 04:24:42 PM

Creative editing!!  icon_biggrin

Barely even pulled it out of context.

Wait, if I were to drop "of context"... saywhat

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #572 on: February 17, 2012, 04:31:47 PM »

I am deathly afraid of this system being stillborn... especially since I can feel the forum effect tugging at me.

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #573 on: February 17, 2012, 04:47:09 PM »

Guys, do you think it is remotely possible that, given a little time, we might see. Console games coming out on PS3/360/Vita? That is could full-blown console games start showing up on this thing?

Ruining language with my terrible words.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #574 on: February 17, 2012, 04:51:43 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on February 17, 2012, 04:47:09 PM

Guys, do you think it is remotely possible that, given a little time, we might see. Console games coming out on PS3/360/Vita? That is could full-blown console games start showing up on this thing?

I guess it's possible, but keep in mind the Vita has two less buttons than a 360 or PS3.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #575 on: February 17, 2012, 04:52:49 PM »

Dynasty Warriors for sure. It doesn't even begin to push the hardware on the big-boy consoles. biggrin

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #576 on: February 17, 2012, 04:59:09 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on February 17, 2012, 04:51:43 PM

I guess it's possible, but keep in mind the Vita has two less buttons than a 360 or PS3.

Touchpad. Easy to make 4 virtual buttons out of that, assuming a straight control port.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #577 on: February 17, 2012, 06:15:01 PM »

I'm not sure I understand.  Aren't some of the game like FIFA, Virtua Tennis and Rayman already fully-blown console ports?
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #578 on: February 17, 2012, 06:18:14 PM »

For now, possibly, but I'll assume that the XBox 720/PS4 will trample this thing in specs and bounce it right back to being the best handheld system that it should be!

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #579 on: February 17, 2012, 08:03:53 PM »

Out of all the handheld consoles we've seen, this one is the most likely for stuff like that to happen since it has specs and controls that are pretty close to its bigger counterparts. As others have pointed out, we've already got examples of this with stuff like Rayman Origins. The Vita isn't powerful enough for direct ports in most situations though, and its resolution is lower than the ones console games are usually designed for. It's also got lower specs, which means a Vita edition would need to be carefully designed. If the Vita is successful, I'm sure many companies will try this out if nothing else.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #580 on: February 17, 2012, 08:08:48 PM »

Ars Technica has a Vita impressions guide (not full reviews), putting 14 of the launch titles into Buy It, Try It or Skip it categories:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Buy It
Lumines Electric Symphony
Wipeout 2048
Rayman Origins
Touch My Katamari
Super Stardust Delta
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3

Try It
Hot Shots Golf
FIFA Soccer
Michael Jackson: The Experience
Dungeon Hunter Alliance

Skip It
Modnation Racers: Road Trip
Asphalt Injection
Shinobido 2
Little Deviants

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #581 on: February 17, 2012, 08:43:30 PM »

Anyone getting the error "An error has occurred" when trying to update Near today?  Was working this morning and now all of a sudden this is all I get when I try to update. 

msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #582 on: February 18, 2012, 12:21:44 AM »

For you fence sitters, the Unit 13 demo is going to be released in next week's PSN update to coincide with the general Vita launch.     BEHOLD:

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #583 on: February 18, 2012, 01:49:24 AM »

Quote from: msduncan on February 18, 2012, 12:21:44 AM

For you fence sitters, the Unit 13 demo is going to be released in next week's PSN update to coincide with the general Vita launch.     BEHOLD:

Broken link, and when followed it says you have to be signed into the forums to see that.

msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #584 on: February 18, 2012, 02:07:05 AM »

Dang.   Well these will have to suffice even though the other one was better imho:

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #585 on: February 18, 2012, 02:21:28 AM »

Stupid question...

If I run out of room on a memory card, can I transfer everything to a bigger one? I'm sure I can, but how does it work? Move everything to my PS3 and back?

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #586 on: February 18, 2012, 02:30:31 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on February 17, 2012, 08:43:30 PM

Anyone getting the error "An error has occurred" when trying to update Near today?  Was working this morning and now all of a sudden this is all I get when I try to update. 

Ugh,this is really pissing me off.  I have a feeling it works for others and somehow my Near data got corrupted or something and is causing the issue.  I can't figure out any way to reset the data or anything.  I really don't want to format the system to try to see if they fixes it, especially since my PSN account is locked from buying things due to the other issue I described (basically trying to buy a bunch of games digitally).  I am sure if I call tech support, they will be clueless.

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #587 on: February 18, 2012, 02:52:07 AM »

I told you that Near was no good for you!  icon_wink

I can't imagine you'd have to format it to get it back. Could it be due to the account issue?

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #588 on: February 18, 2012, 03:01:24 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on February 18, 2012, 02:30:31 AM

Ugh,this is really pissing me off.  I have a feeling it works for others and somehow my Near data got corrupted or something and is causing the issue.  I can't figure out any way to reset the data or anything.  I really don't want to format the system to try to see if they fixes it, especially since my PSN account is locked from buying things due to the other issue I described (basically trying to buy a bunch of games digitally).  I am sure if I call tech support, they will be clueless.

Someone is jamming you....signal is coming....FROM INSIDE THE HOUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #589 on: February 18, 2012, 03:07:32 AM »

Mutant Blobs Attack scored a 9 at IGN.

Another good game to choose from!

Sean Lama
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #590 on: February 18, 2012, 03:16:17 AM »

Quote from: Devil on February 18, 2012, 02:52:07 AM

I told you that Near was no good for you!  icon_wink

I can't imagine you'd have to format it to get it back. Could it be due to the account issue?

I've been on the phone with tech support and they've not seen it before.  They had me do the Restore Settings thing and that didn't fix it.  Hopefully it happens to other people and gets patched or something.  I guess it could be related to my account issue, but I've had that account issue since Wednesday and Near worked great until today.

Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #591 on: February 18, 2012, 04:02:23 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on February 18, 2012, 02:30:31 AM

Been getting that all day. Didn't want to point it out lest the SDF jump on me because it's not a game.  icon_wink

Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #592 on: February 18, 2012, 04:17:18 AM »

Quote from: Devil on February 18, 2012, 02:21:28 AM

Stupid question...

If I run out of room on a memory card, can I transfer everything to a bigger one? I'm sure I can, but how does it work? Move everything to my PS3 and back?

There's a Content Manager app for PC/Mac/PS3 - you should be able to connect to any of them and move files around. I'll be testing out the same very soon - that 4GB card I have is not going to cut it for much longer!

Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #593 on: February 18, 2012, 04:21:56 AM »

Super Stardust Delta early impressions - really happy with my purchase here. I went for the $15 one with all the add-ons. So far I've played a couple of minigames, and the 'classic' mode on Easy through a whole bunch of planets. Love the difficulty curve - was worried after the first couple planets it'd be boring on Easy, but it ramped up quickly enough! Just like Geometry Wars, it has enough different game modes that if I get bored of one, I can jump to another one anyway. I've only tried Classic mode, not the Delta mode with additional touch controls - but even that is gorgeous, fast-moving, and looks like it has the potential to be very addictive. Sound is great too. I could see this, like Geometry Wars, being an unexpected hit (or maybe it's expected, I'm not sure!). I'll need to add more folks than Hetz to my friends list, this could become a high-score challenge game very quickly.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #594 on: February 18, 2012, 05:40:01 AM »

Got to play Wipeout, Hot Shots Golf, and Uncharted on a Gamestop demo unit this afternoon, and finally confirmed my decision to wait on a Vita for a while.  While the games certainly looked great and controlled very well, I just can't see the current lineup being worth the $350'ish price of entry.  Down the road, maybe, but certainly not at this point.  Will be keeping an eye on it, and hoping developers support it.

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #595 on: February 18, 2012, 09:43:25 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on February 18, 2012, 05:40:01 AM

Got to play Wipeout, Hot Shots Golf, and Uncharted on a Gamestop demo unit this afternoon, and finally confirmed my decision to wait on a Vita for a while.  While the games certainly looked great and controlled very well, I just can't see the current lineup being worth the $350'ish price of entry.  Down the road, maybe, but certainly not at this point.  Will be keeping an eye on it, and hoping developers support it.

Actually it's $250ish.

Sean Lama
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #596 on: February 18, 2012, 11:48:15 AM »

Maybe he means system plus games.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #597 on: February 18, 2012, 01:42:21 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on February 18, 2012, 11:48:15 AM

Maybe he means system plus games.

Rent
BuckeyeShane
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #598 on: February 18, 2012, 01:45:33 PM »

What is everyon'e id's?  I'd like to add some of you to my friends list.  My ID is buckeyeshane
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #599 on: February 18, 2012, 01:52:18 PM »

Big surprise here:

msduncan

smile
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 29   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: