http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 07:06:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 29   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PS Vita Impressions! Price drop! Casual Edition! Vita TV!  (Read 40875 times)
Hetz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #520 on: February 16, 2012, 02:49:35 PM »

Quote from: Devil on February 16, 2012, 02:02:29 PM

Quote from: Hetz on February 16, 2012, 12:44:15 PM

Quote from: Devil on February 16, 2012, 12:36:01 PM

With 'Near' can people pinpoint your location or just list out who's within an area?

No, they can't pinpoint your location. They can tell your distance from them though, since you appear on their near radar. It shows your appox distance from them as well as what direction they are.

Yeah - I'll never turn that on.

You can choose to not share your location data. I've found 3 people near me that have chosen to share their info and a bunch that haven't. If you don't share your info though, you can't see other peoples info. It's not really that big of a deal. It just gives pretty generic info on people, like Hetz76 is aprox 1-3 miles away eastish of you. It would be pretty hard to actually find someone.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #521 on: February 16, 2012, 02:51:55 PM »

More Cross Play Info:

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2012/02/16/try-ps-vitaps3-cross-play-content-for-one-price/

Here’s how it works:

•When you buy MotorStorm RC you will be able to play it on PS3 and PS Vita at no additional cost.
•When you buy Hustle Kings and/or Top Darts for PS Vita, you will get the PS3 versions for free. If you already own these games on PS3, you’ll be able to download the PS Vita version for free.
•If you purchase WipEout 2048 and you already own WipEout HD and the HD Fury DLC on PS3, you will be able to download them for free when they launch on PS Vita later this spring.
•DLC purchased for the PS3 version of Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 can be used on the PS Vita version for free (and vice versa).

This is one of the coolest things about the Vita!

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #522 on: February 16, 2012, 03:01:04 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on February 16, 2012, 02:35:06 AM

How are games utilizing the backside touch sensors?

Your girlfriend enjoys it if I play games with her backside touch sensors. icon_twisted
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 03:03:50 PM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #523 on: February 16, 2012, 03:04:01 PM »

I'm still pretty confused about Near.  For instance, it tells me there are 19 people in the radius, but it only ever shows maybe 3 icons at the most on the radar.  Where are the other 16 people?  Also, it doesn't seem like it autorefreshes the location even though I have that checked.  It seems like I only get the updates when I manually refresh it.  Also, why does only one guy (of the three icons that do show up) have his info set to share?  What is everyone afraid of?

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #524 on: February 16, 2012, 03:23:38 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on February 16, 2012, 02:49:35 PM

Quote from: Devil on February 16, 2012, 02:02:29 PM

Quote from: Hetz on February 16, 2012, 12:44:15 PM

Quote from: Devil on February 16, 2012, 12:36:01 PM

With 'Near' can people pinpoint your location or just list out who's within an area?

No, they can't pinpoint your location. They can tell your distance from them though, since you appear on their near radar. It shows your appox distance from them as well as what direction they are.

Yeah - I'll never turn that on.

You can choose to not share your location data. I've found 3 people near me that have chosen to share their info and a bunch that haven't. If you don't share your info though, you can't see other peoples info. It's not really that big of a deal. It just gives pretty generic info on people, like Hetz76 is aprox 1-3 miles away eastish of you. It would be pretty hard to actually find someone.

Still - I need to know if anyone near me is playing the Michael Jackson game, much less have them know where I am?

You creepy bastards!!!

OUT!

Who's ego is so big that they need to update everyone their whereabouts all the time? What is this Facebook?!!? Am I a 15 year old girl?!!?

Devil Is: Angry that anyone thinks they are important enough that people actually care!!!

Everyone crawl into their little hole, play their games and shut up about it!! I don't care what you're doing!!!

That goes for you too, Grue! OUT! on you knowing what I'm doing and where I am!!  icon_wink
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 03:25:29 PM by Devil » Logged

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #525 on: February 16, 2012, 03:30:25 PM »

I was lured into this thread by explicit guarantees of finding Devil's impressions of the Vita, and by God, I'm not leaving until I get them! icon_evil

-Autistic Angel
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #526 on: February 16, 2012, 03:32:53 PM »

Quote from: skystride on February 16, 2012, 06:35:31 AM

Quote from: Hetz on February 16, 2012, 04:39:20 AM

Lumines: Haven't played since the first PSP version and I am falling in love all over again. Good looking puzzle game that is addictive as hell. Can gift things using NEAR.

Is Lumines really worth $36?  I'm tempted but that price seems high for a relatively simple puzzle game.  Games like that are usually $10 or less on Steam.

I really loved the PSP version.  My only gripe with the game is that when you get good at it you have to spend 45 minutes slogging through umpteen levels to get to the point where it's challenging.

It's a great game, though, and if they improved it for the Vita (did they?), all the better.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #527 on: February 16, 2012, 03:34:41 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on February 16, 2012, 03:30:25 PM

I was lured into this thread by explicit guarantees of finding Devil's impressions of the Vita, and by God, I'm not leaving until I get them! icon_evil

-Autistic Angel

To this point: It fit really well in that cradle thing that I got with it.

More to come...

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #528 on: February 16, 2012, 04:09:06 PM »

Quote from: Devil on February 16, 2012, 03:23:38 PM

That goes for you too, Grue! OUT! on you knowing what I'm doing and where I am!!  icon_wink

Man, with a name like Devil, I thought you'd be less of a pussy. slywink

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #529 on: February 16, 2012, 04:24:47 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on February 16, 2012, 03:04:01 PM

I'm still pretty confused about Near.  For instance, it tells me there are 19 people in the radius, but it only ever shows maybe 3 icons at the most on the radar.  Where are the other 16 people?  Also, it doesn't seem like it autorefreshes the location even though I have that checked.  It seems like I only get the updates when I manually refresh it.  Also, why does only one guy (of the three icons that do show up) have his info set to share?  What is everyone afraid of?

Reading the manual, it looks like it only auto-refreshes your location and people around you once per day.  I know if you do it manually, it limits you to once an hour.  Also, those square smiley face icons represent 10 people each, so that at least matches up to the numbers I get.

I guess I am surprised that many people are not sharing their info and gifts.  Or, it could be that they have to be closer than they are to share.  I only have one guy I can actually see in my area and he has the Japanese import Vita because he is sharing a gift from the Japanese version of Dynasty Warriors and also has the Flickr app installed.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 04:40:06 PM by The Grue » Logged

skystride

View Profile
« Reply #530 on: February 16, 2012, 04:40:37 PM »

The 3DS has a sort of similar thing to Near but with even more gamification (you can give gifts, customize avatars etc).  This sort of thing doesn't add much to a console imo.  I got bored of the 3DS thingy real fast.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #531 on: February 16, 2012, 04:46:39 PM »

Quote from: skystride on February 16, 2012, 04:40:37 PM

The 3DS has a sort of similar thing to Near but with even more gamification (you can give gifts, customize avatars etc).  This sort of thing doesn't add much to a console imo.  I got bored of the 3DS thingy real fast.

I can imagine it's great for a bunch of school kids with these consoles, but for us adults it's less interesting.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #532 on: February 16, 2012, 04:54:00 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on February 16, 2012, 04:46:39 PM

Quote from: skystride on February 16, 2012, 04:40:37 PM

I can imagine it's great for a bunch of school kids with these consoles, but for us adults it's less interesting.

Yeay!

+1

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #533 on: February 16, 2012, 05:19:13 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on February 16, 2012, 03:30:25 PM

-Autistic Angel

I see what you did there. ninja

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #534 on: February 16, 2012, 05:38:34 PM »

Regarding Near and whether you have to have 3G, this is from a FAQ that Sony posted on their blog today:

Q: Do you need 3G network connection to enjoy “near”?
A: No. PS Vita users can enjoy “near” using Wi-Fi, but a 3G connection is preferred in order to maximize “near”’s capability. By using a 3G connection, users will be able to obtain more information and encounter new players in real time via “near”. Think of it as a geo-social gaming network that taps into your location, wherever you might be.

Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #535 on: February 16, 2012, 05:53:00 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on February 16, 2012, 02:51:55 PM

More Cross Play Info:

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2012/02/16/try-ps-vitaps3-cross-play-content-for-one-price/

Here’s how it works:

•When you buy MotorStorm RC you will be able to play it on PS3 and PS Vita at no additional cost.
•When you buy Hustle Kings and/or Top Darts for PS Vita, you will get the PS3 versions for free. If you already own these games on PS3, you’ll be able to download the PS Vita version for free.
•If you purchase WipEout 2048 and you already own WipEout HD and the HD Fury DLC on PS3, you will be able to download them for free when they launch on PS Vita later this spring.
•DLC purchased for the PS3 version of Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 can be used on the PS Vita version for free (and vice versa).

This is one of the coolest things about the Vita!

Holy crap. This feature alone is seriously tempting me to get one right now.
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #536 on: February 16, 2012, 07:09:41 PM »

From a setup perspective, this has to be one of the more frustrating modern consoles I've gotten. Note: I -think- the only way to get started is to choose NOT to link to your PSN account on the system setup screen - it just prompts you that you need an update, then sends you back to the previous screen. You have to go back, set up the PS Vita in 'trial' mode on PSN, then you can do the system update, then it sends you into an unskippable minute-long video, and THEN you can link to your account. Very non-intuitive and frustrating.

Edit: Okay - so far I don't like the UI or the system software either. My experience so far has been one of many, many popups, separate EULAs and license screens, and a whole lot of 'Please Wait'. PSN store interface seems a little glitchy to me too.

I was a little surprised that Youtube didn't work on the browser (though that's not really a compelling feature for me). Location data sucked, put me twenty minutes' drive south of where I'm sitting.

Spent about five minutes in Little Deviants, the graphics are pretty nice and I actually liked having one annoying load screen on start and then quick loads for each individual stage.

Downloading a bunch of demos, so we'll see how that goes - high hopes for Lumines and Rayman.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 07:39:30 PM by Clanwolfer » Logged

msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #537 on: February 16, 2012, 07:54:16 PM »

Quote from: Clanwolfer on February 16, 2012, 07:09:41 PM

From a setup perspective, this has to be one of the more frustrating modern consoles I've gotten. Note: I -think- the only way to get started is to choose NOT to link to your PSN account on the system setup screen - it just prompts you that you need an update, then sends you back to the previous screen. You have to go back, set up the PS Vita in 'trial' mode on PSN, then you can do the system update, then it sends you into an unskippable minute-long video, and THEN you can link to your account. Very non-intuitive and frustrating.

Edit: Okay - so far I don't like the UI or the system software either. My experience so far has been one of many, many popups, separate EULAs and license screens, and a whole lot of 'Please Wait'. PSN store interface seems a little glitchy to me too.

I was a little surprised that Youtube didn't work on the browser (though that's not really a compelling feature for me). Location data sucked, put me twenty minutes' drive south of where I'm sitting.

Spent about five minutes in Little Deviants, the graphics are pretty nice and I actually liked having one annoying load screen on start and then quick loads for each individual stage.

Downloading a bunch of demos, so we'll see how that goes - high hopes for Lumines and Rayman.

You will be in awe of the richness of colors in Rayman.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #538 on: February 16, 2012, 08:05:57 PM »

I hate how the poor state of the Vita in Japan puts a dark cloud over such a positive launch in the U.S. The Japanese video game market is always a drag, I don't understand why Sony felt compelled to launch there first. I'm hoping the U.S. and European numbers make up for Japan's crummy turnout.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #539 on: February 16, 2012, 08:06:54 PM »

Quote from: Clanwolfer on February 16, 2012, 07:09:41 PM

I've had nothing but problems with getting PSN (and their MediaGo software) to work with my PSP.  Good to see that Sony will be keeping this tradition alive for the next generation.  slywink

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #540 on: February 16, 2012, 08:10:00 PM »

Oh, and I hate the battery indicator with a passion. When it's plugged-in and charging, there's a little animated thing there... SO DISTRACTING.

And why can't you navigate the home screens with arrows or stick? Touchscreen only.

It feels like they designed the UI by saying yes to every crazy idea.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 08:25:17 PM by Clanwolfer » Logged

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #541 on: February 16, 2012, 08:37:42 PM »

I guess I will share one aggravating story with this launch to counter my overall great feeling about the Vita.  Yesterday, I went through and purchased a bunch of games of the store and at some point, it triggered my credit card's fraud mechanism and when I tried to buy the next game, it said credit card invalid.  I gave it a couple more tries thinking it might have just been a glitch in the store, but it continued and I called my credit card company to assure them that I was indeed the one making a bunch of purchases from Sony.  So, they cleared that up, but now when I go to buy something, I get an error saying I got disconnected from the server.  I also get an error (though a different one) on my PS3 if I try to buy something.

I called up Sony and they said that my account was probably locked as a security measure and that it should automatically unlock after 3-5 business days.  So, I am stuck not being able to buy Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 and BlazBlue. frown  Luckily, I did get a bunch of games purchased, but I will just have to keep checking to see when I am free to give these people my money again.  The sucky thing is it isn't like they sent me an email informing me of this.  It basically went from working great to not being able to work with some odd error message that really doesn't tell you what the problem is...instead, I inferred it from what transpired.

Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #542 on: February 16, 2012, 09:15:47 PM »

Tried the Asphalt: Injection demo. What a horrifically unevocative name, for a game that only exists because a) Gameloft does, and b) there's no Burnout game for the Vita at launch.

Might as well have a sound clip of a guy shouting 'Generic Arcade Raaaaacer!' when you launch it. I mean, it's great, and to be honest in two tracks I had as much fun as I ever did on an iPad or iPhone racing game - but that's mostly because the Vita has 'real' controls, and I far prefer those for racing games. Graphics are... okay, I guess. Opponents are going to rubberband right past you regardless of how well you drive, so you pretty much have to just race the last half of the last lap real well. I wouldn't pay money for more cars and tracks - heck, if they had a 2 or 3 dollar DLC for one or two more cars and another track or two, it'd still be a hard sell. Pretty much just makes me want a good Vita Burnout - which I'm sure must be coming.

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #543 on: February 16, 2012, 09:24:02 PM »

Quote from: Clanwolfer on February 16, 2012, 08:10:00 PM

Oh, and I hate the battery indicator with a passion. When it's plugged-in and charging, there's a little animated thing there... SO DISTRACTING.

And why can't you navigate the home screens with arrows or stick? Touchscreen only.

Does the battery indicator show in-game?

Sean Lama
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #544 on: February 16, 2012, 09:41:53 PM »

Nope. Just the UI, fortunately. Hopefully I won't be spending much time there to be distracted by it.

msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #545 on: February 16, 2012, 09:55:41 PM »

Pro tip:   You hate the device.   Return it for refund within the grace period.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 09:57:16 PM by msduncan » Logged
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #546 on: February 16, 2012, 10:13:47 PM »

Quote from: Clanwolfer on February 16, 2012, 09:41:53 PM

Nope. Just the UI, fortunately. Hopefully I won't be spending much time there to be distracted by it.

Not sure why you would be spending any prolonged amount of time in the UI, aside from maybe browsing the internet.

You seem to be focusing on everything except how the Vita plays games...

Sean Lama
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #547 on: February 16, 2012, 10:17:49 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on February 16, 2012, 10:13:47 PM

Whoa, it plays games?  I thought it was just a way for Sony to suck a few more bucks from me.

skystride

View Profile
« Reply #548 on: February 16, 2012, 10:51:26 PM »

Not sure why you would be spending any prolonged amount of time in the UI, aside from maybe browsing the internet.

Ease off Vita fanboys!  ninja

He also gave impressions about a racing game which I found useful.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #549 on: February 16, 2012, 11:34:45 PM »

Anxiously awaiting Clanwolfer's impressions of Rayman and Lumines  icon_cool

Sean Lama
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #550 on: February 16, 2012, 11:51:05 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on February 16, 2012, 09:55:41 PM

I hate my PS3 when it's not playing games too. Fortunately, that's a minority of the time.

I'm just trying to give some impressions here, and on the first day screwing around with a device, when I'm mostly downloading demos/games and screwing around with the UI, I'm going to spend a lot more time in there than normal, day-to-day use. I think it's fair to say that from the moment I turn it on to the moment I get in a game, I'm completely unimpressed, without calling the whole device a waste of my money or time - but I was kind of hoping the impressions would be useful to folks who are still on the fence. Clearly I'm pissing off more folks than I'm informing by giving my opinion, though.

shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #551 on: February 16, 2012, 11:51:21 PM »

Played through a couple of levels of Escape plan and it's very cool.  All touch so far and the puzzles have used a lot of the Vitas features.  The graphics are crisp and well done.  The ways you can die are humorous and you want to fail at least once to see what happens. 

Read Ign review of Hot Shots and it's pathetic, complaining about waisting time if you mess up on the last hole, that's golf my friend.  He really didn't talk much about any other features.  I'm having a blast and if you like other HS games it's a must own, especially with daily tournaments.

Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #552 on: February 16, 2012, 11:56:03 PM »

That's because I'm a good 60-90 minutes into using it - I've been downloading demos/games and screwing around with the device, because it's pretty easy to get an impression of the UI and the inconsequential apps. I'd like to give at least a marginally informed opinion on the games, and so far the only one I've felt I got enough time in to give that sort of impression was Asphalt.

Like I said in my post above - I think it's useful information that the UI sucks and the apps seem to suck. Doesn't make it a terrible device, but it could make it a great gaming device with a terrible UI.

msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #553 on: February 17, 2012, 12:03:07 AM »

Quote from: Clanwolfer on February 16, 2012, 11:51:05 PM

I hate my PS3 when it's not playing games too. Fortunately, that's a minority of the time.

I'm just trying to give some impressions here, and on the first day screwing around with a device, when I'm mostly downloading demos/games and screwing around with the UI, I'm going to spend a lot more time in there than normal, day-to-day use. I think it's fair to say that from the moment I turn it on to the moment I get in a game, I'm completely unimpressed, without calling the whole device a waste of my money or time - but I was kind of hoping the impressions would be useful to folks who are still on the fence. Clearly I'm pissing off more folks than I'm informing by giving my opinion, though.

Actually I intended to add a slywink to my post, but I was in a rush to leave work and did not realize that I left it off.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #554 on: February 17, 2012, 12:05:12 AM »

I will say that I don't find the interface bad at all.   It's straight forward and simple.   

The complaint about the battery charge icon is ludicrous though.   It is in no way distracting and you have to look up at it to see if it's still charging or not.
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #555 on: February 17, 2012, 12:24:09 AM »

Quote from: msduncan on February 17, 2012, 12:05:12 AM

I will say that I don't find the interface bad at all.   It's straight forward and simple.   

The complaint about the battery charge icon is ludicrous though.   It is in no way distracting and you have to look up at it to see if it's still charging or not.

It's distracting to me. Maybe I'm just more motion-sensitive - I kept seeing something moving up there while I was browsing through stuff. I don't like it one bit. I acknowledge that it may not distract everyone equally. But it legitimately bothers me and I think it's a bad idea - I like just a little lightning bolt, plug symbol, or whatever that's static much better than an animation.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #556 on: February 17, 2012, 12:46:50 AM »

hmmm.. that could help ease my worries about being stuck with it if eBay fails.....

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #557 on: February 17, 2012, 01:00:41 AM »

I've got about $400 available from my tax return, and am waffling between a Vita and a PS3.  The PS3 really only has a couple games I'm dying to play (namely GOW3 and the Uncharted series), but playing the remastered PS2 games and even some of the PS1 games is awfully tempting.  While the Vita doesn't have anything I'm really itching to play right now, I can certainly see it getting some use down the road...especially if some of the big name developers (mostly Squeenix) really get on board with it.  I'm nervous, however, about it becoming similar to the PSP, where there is a handful of absolutely incredible games, with nothing but long stretches of complete shite between them.  Can you play the PS1 games on a Vita like you can on a PSP?  That might make a difference in my decision.

What to do, what to do...

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #558 on: February 17, 2012, 01:11:26 AM »

snapshot 'review' of ScoobyDoo 2: Revenge of Ken (or however you pronounce it).

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #559 on: February 17, 2012, 01:32:51 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 17, 2012, 01:11:26 AM

snapshot 'review' of ScoobyDoo 2: Revenge of Ken (or however you pronounce it).

Come on, the least you can do is type out the proper name: Shinobido 2.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 29   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: