http://gamingtrend.com
November 23, 2014, 06:54:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 29   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PS Vita Impressions! Price drop! Casual Edition! Vita TV!  (Read 41890 times)
Laner
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: January 27, 2011, 07:54:48 PM »

Quote from: Bob on January 27, 2011, 05:54:21 PM

I agree, that for the most part, smartphone games are not "real" games like AAA DS or PSP games. But the question is: given that the phone is already in your pocket, and the games are cheap, are they sufficient?

It is for me - if I need anything meatier, that's what my consoles are for.  Granted, there are a lot of people who can get into deep, involved games on handhelds - I'm just not one of them. 
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 27, 2011, 08:09:10 PM »

Keep in mind that the PSP is a monster in Japan. The thing has sold 60 million over its lifetime!

Quote from: Bob on January 27, 2011, 07:38:34 PM

Quote from: msduncan on January 27, 2011, 06:11:42 PM

1.  The iphone controls suck

No disagreement there. The games I listed are all made for touchscreen controls. I don't bother playing twitchy dual joystick shooters on it (much.)

I'm not saying that the PSP2 isn't awesome.  I'm just wondering how well it will sell for Sony.  My prediction: not that well. There will be no PSP3. (I may be underestimating Sony's persistence.)

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 27, 2011, 08:19:37 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on January 27, 2011, 07:19:55 PM

Quote from: The Grue on January 27, 2011, 07:13:20 PM

I honestly don't think it can.  There has yet to be a game with a virtual pad on iOS that I have played that I felt comfortable with.  Can I play the game?  Sure.  Do I always feel like I am fumbling?  Yes.

Not to mention that it blocks your view of the screen.

Try Dead Space.  It works pretty darn well - not as good as real sticks but pretty great for the limitations.  So people are developing new ways to deal with the issues.

All the reviews mention that the controls are not good.  It might be good for an iOS game, but not as good as the controls would be if it were on a handheld.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 27, 2011, 08:36:25 PM »

Quote from: Bob on January 27, 2011, 07:38:34 PM

Quote from: msduncan on January 27, 2011, 06:11:42 PM

1.  The iphone controls suck

No disagreement there. The games I listed are all made for touchscreen controls. I don't bother playing twitchy dual joystick shooters on it (much.)

I'm not saying that the PSP2 isn't awesome.  I'm just wondering how well it will sell for Sony.  My prediction: not that well. There will be no PSP3. (I may be underestimating Sony's persistence.)

Depends.   I think if they can integrate it with the PS3, it might just have a chance.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 27, 2011, 08:48:55 PM »

Well, the trailer Sony released for it is dissapointing (you don't even see the machine) but reading the specs and seeing the pics at Kotaku, I'm excited for this. It has gyro sensors like the Iphone, a touchpad on the bottom, dual analog sticks, a bigger screen and its wi-fi, 3G, bluetooth compatible off the box. Put a nice, affordable price on it (sub 300 bucks) and I might finally get a PSP portable product.  icon_smile
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 27, 2011, 08:50:11 PM »

Hint as to the price in this interview.

When I asked about price, Yoshida replied, "We are not talking about price yet, but I hope that when we announce the price, people will say it makes sense."

Anyone remember the way they tried to convice consumers that the original PS3 price was a bargain because of how great the system was?  It was so powerful, it had a blue ray player, etc., etc.  The language they are using smacks of the same thing.  It is going be very high priced and they are going to pitch it as our fault if we don't understand the value we are getting!

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 27, 2011, 08:52:10 PM »

The price will build discipline!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 27, 2011, 08:58:04 PM »

Not getting it if it's over 300 bucks.. Sorry, Sony. Don't be foolish. It took me 3 years to buy your PS3 until you made it affordable.
ras752000
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 27, 2011, 10:01:50 PM »

I can't stop my mind from reading NGP as neo geo portable.

PSN=ras752000
Steam=ras752000gt
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 27, 2011, 10:26:02 PM »

Quote from: ras752000 on January 27, 2011, 10:01:50 PM

I can't stop my mind from reading NGP as neo geo portable.

Me, too!

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: January 27, 2011, 10:44:47 PM »

Heh, a new neo geo on the market would be interesting. slywink

Hmm... as for the specs, I'm not seeing anything about the front touch screen. Is the front screen actually a touchscreen, or was I just seeing things and the only touchpad was on the back?
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 27, 2011, 10:46:10 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on January 27, 2011, 07:35:54 PM

Quote from: ChaoZ on January 27, 2011, 07:18:28 PM

What? No Speeeed Racccer?

Seriously though, I personally view the first PSP as a massive failure and I was an early adopter.
I'll wait this time around.

Rrrrridge Rrrracer.

Right. That. tear
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 27, 2011, 10:52:17 PM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on January 27, 2011, 08:58:04 PM

Not getting it if it's over 300 bucks.. Sorry, Sony. Don't be foolish. It took me 3 years to buy your PS3 until you made it affordable.

I'll pay up to $349.

I really hope Sony finds a way to curtail most of the pirating for the PSP2. They managed to do so with the PSPgo until very recently. I think the PSP landscape would have been significantly different if over 80% of the software wasn't pirated.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 27, 2011, 10:53:20 PM »

This thing is sexy as hell...

But I'm not sure I can buy both this year.

I guess we'll have to see what first-year titles pan out.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 27, 2011, 11:40:57 PM »

I am so in it *hurts*.

Since I have mine safely preordered for $999 bucks plus tax and shipping, I will spend the next 9 months waiting in anticipation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  biggrin:D biggrin
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: January 27, 2011, 11:57:27 PM »

Very interested, but I like the idea of the holiday season.  It's easier for me to justify asking for it for a gift than putting in a preorder.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 28, 2011, 12:05:53 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on January 27, 2011, 10:44:47 PM

Heh, a new neo geo on the market would be interesting. slywink

Hmm... as for the specs, I'm not seeing anything about the front touch screen. Is the front screen actually a touchscreen, or was I just seeing things and the only touchpad was on the back?

It's a touch screen.

I haven't seen this linked previously in this thread (hope I didn't miss someone's post).  Anyway video of PSP2 in action.

You can see some touch screen stuff starting at 5:10 in and going for back touch stuff at about 5:40.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: January 28, 2011, 12:12:06 AM »

Apparently, they're using flash memory cards very similar to DS and 3DS cards for retail stores to sell games. These cartridges, also like DS cartidges have built in memory for storing game data. However, they've also announced a second port for data storage, no word on what goes in it, such as if it uses one of the new memory stick formats.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 28, 2011, 12:57:31 AM »

an interview with Tretton:

That "holiday 2011" launch applies to at least one territory, but Sony was "ambiguous for a reason" (i.e. simultaneous global rollout is a dream but far from a promise.) We probably won't have a clearer image until fall rolls around, sometime after E3.

so, any bets that the one territory will be Japan if they don't have enough? icon_lol

Because I can,
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 28, 2011, 01:37:31 AM »

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

They HAVE to make North America by Christmas!
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 28, 2011, 01:55:17 AM »

Uncharted gameplay.

The NGP is seriously too sexy for it's shirt... 

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 28, 2011, 01:56:22 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on January 28, 2011, 01:55:17 AM

Uncharted gameplay.

Because I can,
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 28, 2011, 02:44:45 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on January 28, 2011, 01:55:17 AM

Uncharted gameplay.

Dude.... that looks unbelievable.    This Christmas can't get here soon enough.    Consider me a fanboi.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 28, 2011, 03:01:16 AM »

Hmmm.....  the ebgames preorder page is gone.     Also, I have an email from ebgames.com saying that my order was 'under review' and might take 24 hours to process unless they need further information.

What happened?
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 28, 2011, 03:12:38 AM »

Quote from: msduncan on January 28, 2011, 03:01:16 AM

Hmmm.....  the ebgames preorder page is gone.     Also, I have an email from ebgames.com saying that my order was 'under review' and might take 24 hours to process unless they need further information.

What happened?

Well the product was barely announced last night and doesn't even have a name, let alone any solid details like price or release date.  They put up a bogus, placeholder page with a price so high it's more than any console launch ever.  They realize that it's waaaaay too soon to have  page for this and they remove it.

Don't worry when this thing is announced for pre-orders, it'll be broadcast all over the place.  You won't miss it.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 28, 2011, 03:15:18 AM »

Do you think my preorder will be honored?     Gamestop stores are supposed to start taking preorders tomorrow according to my local store.    Maybe they pulled it for one day and will put it through tomorrow.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: January 28, 2011, 05:50:14 AM »

Video of a bunch of games in action.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 28, 2011, 06:40:08 AM »

I hope the Uncharted video was just meant to show off the system's capabilities, and you don't actually have to play the game that way.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 28, 2011, 01:31:42 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on January 28, 2011, 06:40:08 AM

I hope the Uncharted video was just meant to show off the system's capabilities, and you don't actually have to play the game that way.

Same here - but based on how he was talking it seemed like touching the screen was an alternative to standard controls.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 28, 2011, 05:00:32 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on January 28, 2011, 01:31:42 PM

Quote from: EddieA on January 28, 2011, 06:40:08 AM

Same here - but based on how he was talking it seemed like touching the screen was an alternative to standard controls.

Is it just me or wouldn't the touch screen much the jumping puzzles far too easy?
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: January 29, 2011, 03:41:09 PM »

Honestly, I wouldn't want to use the front touchscreen unless I had to. Nothing like seeing finger-smears all over your viewing screen. How the DS does it is fine, as the bottom screen is rarely used for actual gameplay. But the PSP2, I wouldn't want to use it as a primary control device.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 29, 2011, 04:03:21 PM »

Don't own an iPhone? I find it doesn't have much of a problem with fingerprints.
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 29, 2011, 11:40:26 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on January 29, 2011, 04:03:21 PM

Don't own an iPhone? I find it doesn't have much of a problem with fingerprints.

My experience with my iPad is it depends on what you're using it for.  Movies or TV shows, for example, fingerprints show up during scenes which are mostly dark.  Well lit scenes the fingerprints don't show.  Most websites and iBooks/Kindle App are well lit enough that you don't notice the fingerprints.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 30, 2011, 04:43:20 AM »

Looking over the specs, some of the more tech-savvy folks I know are concerned about this thing becoming a portable nuclear reactor.  Hope they have a decent cooling solution.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 30, 2011, 01:03:12 PM »

Having bought a ton of PSN games on my PSP Go, the news that NGP is backwards compatible with digital PSP games makes me want it all the more.

Hopefully Sony are smart with their pricing, $300 for a handheld is over kill but given Sony's history of over pricing at launch, that's probably what they'll charge. (Mylo, anyone?)

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 30, 2011, 05:53:56 PM »

I think this is a miss for Sony, potentially a huge one. IMO the system is unfocused: it's like they sat around a room brainstorming different things they could put on the system. Then, when they were looking at the list at the end they said "ok, let's do that". I find it ironic that the one thing it doesn't so is the one thing that Sony has been saying that it's future hinges on: 3D.

Now, the thing looks amazing, don't get me wrong, but I'm concerned about whether it can be successful. Quad-core ARM Cortex A9? OLED? rear touchpad? Maybe I'm wrong but this thing sounds like it's going to be really, really expensive. I'm thinking 400+ USD. This is at a time when Sony claims to be acknowledging the importance of the casual market and this device is the total opposite of casual. I think that they could have gone for a much more modest graphic upgrade, focussed on net/PS store connectivity, added a second joystick and undercut the 3DS on price and nearly everyone would have been thrilled.

Incidentally, I think the rear touchpad sounds great in theory but that ergonomically designed physical buttons would have been infinitely better. If there's one lesson learned from studying phone game design it's that having developers decide where to place touch controls and what size to make them is a really bad idea.

If the system comes in priced equal or less than the 3DS, it has real potential, but that Sony will be hemorrhaging money. If it comes in much higher, like I think it will, I think it will be a turkey out of the gate. Who would want to develop fir it?

Honestly, I wonder why the heck they didn't just design the phone and do a subsidized thing like Apple does. Heck, maybe they will since the thing dies 3G maybe they will. So here's the question: for those of you saying you'd buy this for $200 would you still do that if it came with a $20-30 per month data plan and a 2 year commitment tacked on?

Ruining language with my terrible words.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: January 30, 2011, 06:35:29 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on January 30, 2011, 05:53:56 PM

Honestly, I wonder why the heck they didn't just design the phone and do a subsidized thing like Apple does. Heck, maybe they will since the thing dies 3G maybe they will. So here's the question: for those of you saying you'd buy this for $200 would you still do that if it came with a $20-30 per month data plan and a 2 year commitment tacked on?

Nope.  I would probably buy this for $300, but I refuse to sign up for extra data plans.  That's the main reason I still don't have a smart phone.   

Personally, from everything shown so far this launch is much less unfocused than the first PSP.  On that first one they were focusing on movies, mp3s, the new disc format, games, etc.  With this one it is basically: this thing plays games.  At least so far.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: January 30, 2011, 06:46:11 PM »

Also, as for the cost of this, it will be high, but I don't think it'll be as high as some are speculating. Almost all the tech that's in this machine has been in use for years now, in some cases, many, many years. Capacitive touch screens are common as dirt since the iphone, the rear touch pad is found on any modern laptop, ARM processors are as ubiquitous as Intel or AMD processors. The OLED screen seems like the newest and costliest tech in the system.

The thing about a phone is that, well, it's still a phone. You have to make phones as phones first, that means small enough for all pockets or bags, and to be used as a phone.

This is a game console, it has dedicated controls meant for gaming and that's a very big thing to gamers despite some who think that everything can be handled with fiddly touch controls. Just because touch controls work, doesn't mean they're optimal.

I agree that there will be heavy competition between phone gaming and dedicated gaming, but I don't think it's as cut and dry as phone gaming will kill everything else. There is a reason why the DS is still successful these days despite the iphone becoming a major competitor. But that's just it really, it's a competitor.

But the big thing is that it sounds like these latest dedicated gaming devices are also making use of features pioneered by phone gaming devices, namely the digital stores. We're already seeing playstation games ending up on Android phones, it's silly to think they won't capitalize on those features for the NGP. What if they released a cross compatible SDK for going from android to the NGP?

As Engine puts it, this thing plays games. It's got dual thumbsticks, actual thumbsticks too, not a nub from reports. But on top of that, it can also play many of those vaunted touchscreen games too, and maybe better. I play plenty of "phone" games but rarely ever for long periods, and never seriously, even lately I don't bother with them in the wake of so many new and excellent dedicated games coming to the market. You just can't lump everyone under the idea that they will all be satisfied playing little touchscreen based phone games, no matter how prettied up they might get.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 06:52:41 PM by Turtle » Logged
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: January 30, 2011, 06:56:10 PM »

Kaz Hirai, chairman of Sony, speaks in vague terms about pricing in an interview with PCWorld. They've supposedly thought about the pricing for a while, wanting to avoid going "off the deep end", which I take to mean that they don't want to price themselves out of the market.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 30, 2011, 07:45:27 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on January 30, 2011, 06:56:10 PM

Kaz Hirai, chairman of Sony, speaks in vague terms about pricing in an interview with PCWorld. They've supposedly thought about the pricing for a while, wanting to avoid going "off the deep end", which I take to mean that they don't want to price themselves out of the market.

Isn't that basically admitting it costs too much to make and they're trying to cope? Not that selling at a loss is unusual in this business. This device could completely shatter our notions of portable gaming, but I wonder if there is truly a market for this kind of device right now.

Turtle, the ARM processor in question is brand-spanking new (is the A9 in use anywhere yet?) so I don't think you can dismiss it as not being a considerable expense. Also, I've never seen a touchpad that big...it is a custom size if nothing else. We haven't even touched on the battery either. What kind of battery tech is going to run this thing for more than an hour?

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 29   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: