http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 07:35:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 29   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PS Vita Impressions! Price drop! Casual Edition! Vita TV!  (Read 37568 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: October 29, 2010, 07:58:07 AM »

just like the wonderful GO?  the games would be stored on a memory stick, perhaps that's how the games could come so they're still tradeable.

granted, this is just a rumor and nothing is confirmed, but this does temper my excitement for a PSP2 no matter how powerful it's supposed to be.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 02:58:20 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 09:40:26 AM »

Sony and other manufacturers have already commented on this. Abandoning physical media of any kind isn't going to work for the gaming market right now. There will be some kind of physical media, likely memory cards/cartridges as you mentioned.

As it stands, while there is money to be made digitally, only for certain other type of devices can an only digital policy be successful. The first hurdle is getting the device in stores. Most hardware is sold without a profit margin, so stores don't make money on that, they make it on the games. No physical games to sell, no reason to carry the system. Apple got around this by being apple and having its own brand strong enough to support a large chain of stores to sell, and enough brand loyalty for people to buy what they make sight unseen.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 04:50:55 AM »

New leak

Has dual thumb sticks smile

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 05:05:35 AM »

New as in a month ago?   Tongue

The pic is old, but IGN's report about the power of the unit is new.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 07:12:32 AM »

The talk about the PS3 port-like structure is interesting. Play the game at home on the PS3 then take it to go on the PSP2 sounds like a good idea. Sadly, this is Sony we're talking about, unless things have drastically changed, their ability to implement complex software systems is limited.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 07:45:38 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on December 09, 2010, 05:05:35 AM

New as in a month ago?   Tongue

The pic is old, but IGN's report about the power of the unit is new.

LOL

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2010, 07:46:14 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on December 09, 2010, 07:12:32 AM

The talk about the PS3 port-like structure is interesting. Play the game at home on the PS3 then take it to go on the PSP2 sounds like a good idea. Sadly, this is Sony we're talking about, unless things have drastically changed, their ability to implement complex software systems is limited.

I wonder how they'd stop piracy with that.

Because I can,
KC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2010, 12:58:14 PM »

I don't know if this is a good strategy. I've come to prefer the cheaper, simpler iOS games for my mobile gaming. Especially since if I only have a few minutes while I am ou and about. There were articles on the web a few days ago about how iOS games are becoming a strong competitor to Nintendo DS and Sony PSP and I tend to agree. Paying .99 vs $30 for a mobile game seems to be a no brainer.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2010, 04:13:28 PM »

Quote from: KC on December 09, 2010, 12:58:14 PM

I don't know if this is a good strategy. I've come to prefer the cheaper, simpler iOS games for my mobile gaming. Especially since if I only have a few minutes while I am ou and about. There were articles on the web a few days ago about how iOS games are becoming a strong competitor to Nintendo DS and Sony PSP and I tend to agree. Paying .99 vs $30 for a mobile game seems to be a no brainer.

With the games I buy (not talking shovelware here), I would gladly pay $30 to get a game with better production values and developed by teams with tons of experience in putting games together.  I do enjoy gaming on my iPad, but I find that the stuff I play on DS and PSP is far better and worth the extra dollars.  I do concede that I might be an old dinosaur, though, and that younger generations might be just fine with lesser experiences for only a couple of bucks.  I am surely always amazed when I see reviews on iPad games complaining about only 8 hours of gameplay for $2.  Movies cost more than that and you only get 3 hours at most.  Seems like a huge bargain to me.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2010, 04:27:19 PM »

I use ipad and phone games as time wasters.   Breaks at work, waiting on tire rotation or oil change, long line at lunch, or the kids got the PC's and the consoles tied up.
And thats about it. 

But....   My kids both loved the DS , and they are chomping at the bit for DS3D..   So, I will still be buying handhelds it looks like...
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2010, 09:50:15 PM »

Eh, I don't think everyone playing those small phone/pad games will stay only playing those games. Either they get tired, get new games, or start branching out once they've had their fill, or if there's a gateway.

That said, the PSP2 isn't meant to direct compete in that small app market. Instead, it's supposed to be able to have those games as you normal time wasters, and then have bigger games as well, or anything in-between.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2011, 03:56:58 PM »

yet another 'announcement is imminent' rumor.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2011, 03:59:10 PM »

another report of Sony saying the PSP2 will be as powerful as the PS3.  if that's the case I'm kinda curious what the price tag is going to be; will it be over or under $199.00?

Because I can,
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2011, 04:14:57 PM »

I doesn't matter what the cost is, I'm not being fooled again.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2011, 04:16:54 PM »

Sony tend to always over price things at launch, so probably over $199. Even the Go was $249 at launch. I bought mine for $165 shipped and while I do like the system, there's no way in hell I would have paid $250 for it.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2011, 04:21:01 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on January 13, 2011, 04:14:57 PM

Uncharted 4 PSP2 only.....  icon_twisted Tongue

although it wouldn't surprise me to see them put out a PSP2 Uncharted game to try and drive sales.

Because I can,
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2011, 04:22:51 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 13, 2011, 04:21:01 PM

Uncharted 4 PSP2 only.....  icon_twisted Tongue

although it wouldn't surprise me to see them put out a PSP2 Uncharted game to try and drive sales.

You're probably right.  I did really enjoy the GoW games on the PSP, but that's really it.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2011, 06:27:55 PM »

While they are fewer and further between, the PSP has some absolutely phenomenal games.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2011, 07:00:24 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 13, 2011, 03:59:10 PM

another report of Sony saying the PSP2 will be as powerful as the PS3.  if that's the case I'm kinda curious what the price tag is going to be; will it be over or under $199.00?

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...

Powerful as the PS3...

BHAHWHAHAWHAHAHAHAHAHA...

Sorry.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2011, 02:01:21 AM »

Nintendo has been saying similar things about the 3DS, about as powerful as an Xbox 360 or so.

Clearly it's marketing speak. However, because these handhelds have such small screen resolutions, and processor tech has advanced 5 years since the consoles released, these new handhelds really can put out graphics that have a similar quality to some of the high end consoles.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2011, 05:16:35 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on January 14, 2011, 02:01:21 AM

Nintendo has been saying similar things about the 3DS, about as powerful as an Xbox 360 or so.

Clearly it's marketing speak. However, because these handhelds have such small screen resolutions, and processor tech has advanced 5 years since the consoles released, these new handhelds really can put out graphics that have a similar quality to some of the high end consoles.

Yeah, I think the key is in the resolutions they can get away with on the smaller screens.  The 3DS can probably run something at 30FPS at 800x600 (or whatever) that the 360 could run at 1080p at the same speed. 

I have no doubt that both of those machines will be damned impressive, but using the word "powerful" brings the discussion to pure horsepower, and I find that hard to believe.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2011, 08:29:08 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on January 13, 2011, 07:00:24 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on January 13, 2011, 03:59:10 PM

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...

Powerful as the PS3...

BHAHWHAHAWHAHAHAHAHAHA...

Sorry.
LOL, it'll be as powerful with 1 hour battery time  Tongue

Because I can,
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2011, 12:34:20 PM »

I'm looking forward to the PSP2. Doubt I'll be able to grab one at launch, unless the price is reasonable.

Have gotten many many hours of fun out of my PSP.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2011, 03:03:42 PM »

Has Nintendo ever released the specs for the 3DS yet?

I find it hard to believe the 3DS will be even remotely close to as powerful as a 360, especially judging from some of their game previews. Looks about as powerful as a Gamecube or maybe a Wii-lite.

Given how powerful the PSP is already (being 6-7 years old) I don't think seeing the PSP2 as powerful, at least on paper, as a PS3, is that far fetched. When the PSP came out Sony said it'd be close to as powerful as a PS2, and they delivered on that.
Of course, it's going to come at a bigger price tag though, while Nintendo can always undercut them on that point.

If it comes out at $200 or less, I definitely could see myself buying one on launch day. Just don't see Sony doing that though.. even their Mylo they charged a ridiculous price for at launch.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2011, 06:41:43 PM »

Yeah price is a deal-breaker for me. It's a big reason I'm not interested in the 3DS at this point.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2011, 09:28:26 PM »

Nintendo doesn't care about "power." Nobody pretends Wii or DS or Gamecube or Gameboy etc. were "the most powerful" gaming systems out there. If the fun factor's there in the games, it'll drive hardware sales. As an Atari Lynx fan whose technically superior system got buried by the "inferior" Gameboy in sheer sales and popularity so many years ago, I know first hand. That said, the only 3DS game that interests me is the Ghost Recon title since one of the Gollop brothers (X-COM) is involved.

As someone with two PSPs (phat and slim) and a big library of PSP games but who stopped playing it years ago, my fundamental complaint remains that developers don't see the PSP as a destination -- they see it as a ticket to developing PS2 (years ago) or PS3 games (now and more recently) presumably for financial reasons; they put away their PSP dev kits and never look back.

So when I've played PSP stuff I felt was fun and special and unique to PSP (Killzone: Liberation and SOCOM: Tactical Strike come to mind), I never get to see any more work from those teams on the PSP. It was "one and done." I don't so much care about the PSP2's technical specs as much as whether they can find a way to turn it into a "developer's destination" instead of a rest stop to greener pastures.

P.S. For the love of GOD OF WAR, Sony, find a way to stick a second damn thumbstick on the PSP2 already. Not so much that I can play Robotron/Smash TV/Total Carnage arcade ports on it (though that would melt my old heart  tear icon_razz) so much as that sooo many PSP titles would've been a helluva lot better with a second thumstick.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 09:33:04 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2011, 09:56:22 PM »

The second thumbstick has been in every leaked bit of info so far.

Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2011, 03:33:38 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on January 14, 2011, 09:28:26 PM

Nintendo doesn't care about "power." Nobody pretends Wii or DS or Gamecube or Gameboy etc. were "the most powerful" gaming systems out there. If the fun factor's there in the games, it'll drive hardware sales. As an Atari Lynx fan whose technically superior system got buried by the "inferior" Gameboy in sheer sales and popularity so many years ago, I know first hand. That said, the only 3DS game that interests me is the Ghost Recon title since one of the Gollop brothers (X-COM) is involved.

As someone with two PSPs (phat and slim) and a big library of PSP games but who stopped playing it years ago, my fundamental complaint remains that developers don't see the PSP as a destination -- they see it as a ticket to developing PS2 (years ago) or PS3 games (now and more recently) presumably for financial reasons; they put away their PSP dev kits and never look back.

So when I've played PSP stuff I felt was fun and special and unique to PSP (Killzone: Liberation and SOCOM: Tactical Strike come to mind), I never get to see any more work from those teams on the PSP. It was "one and done." I don't so much care about the PSP2's technical specs as much as whether they can find a way to turn it into a "developer's destination" instead of a rest stop to greener pastures.

P.S. For the love of GOD OF WAR, Sony, find a way to stick a second damn thumbstick on the PSP2 already. Not so much that I can play Robotron/Smash TV/Total Carnage arcade ports on it (though that would melt my old heart  tear icon_razz) so much as that sooo many PSP titles would've been a helluva lot better with a second thumstick.

Excellent points about the "One and Done" philosophy, although I think part of that is related to how poorly the software sells, even if the title is of excellent quality. I don't think many developers can afford multiple attempts on the PSP.

In regards to the second analog stick, I think that is a given upgrade for the PSP2. It was the single biggest complaint about the PSP, and unless Sony is completely deaf to their focus groups and marketing wing, the 2nd stick will definitely be there.

My biggest hope is that it will provide legacy support for PSP titles. I'm assuming the PSP2 will really push digital downloads, so it would be nice to transfer all of my old PSP/PS1 games to it. Here's also hoping that it comes with 32GB-64GB of storage plus an expansion slot. The PSPgo contains my entire library on the device, and I've become spoiled by that accessibility.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2011, 04:30:22 AM »

Yeah, I'm going to be really disappointed if there's no way to play my current PSP games on the PSP2, even if that means letting me connect my PSP to the new unit.

That said, I'm expecting to be disappointed.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2011, 02:12:16 PM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on January 14, 2011, 03:03:42 PM

Has Nintendo ever released the specs for the 3DS yet?

I find it hard to believe the 3DS will be even remotely close to as powerful as a 360, especially judging from some of their game previews. Looks about as powerful as a Gamecube or maybe a Wii-lite.

From pictures alone, I expect something between a N64 and a Gamecube out of the 3DS. There's no way that Nintendo has mentioned that 'it's as powerful as the 360', because we all know it would be a joke, just like Sony saying what they did.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2011, 09:11:39 AM »

3G support in Japan? plus an OLED screen?

Because I can,
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2011, 12:47:05 PM »

Not sure what's special about the OLED screen, although I do recall some modern OLED IPS screens are great for color quality and resolution, or was that just how thin it is?
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2011, 12:50:39 PM »

OLED screens are stunningly detailed (you can fit much more detail into a 15" OLED screen than a 60" plasma screen, AFAIK) with near perfect color and black levels. You can't get anything better with current consumer technology, and they are produced in such low quantities that any device with such a screen should be treasured. My HTC Desire smart phone has an OLED screen that makes the iPad look pale and drab in comparison (I know. I've put them side by side).
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2011, 02:29:38 PM »

If the PSP2 is so powerful, we can expect to see ports of PS2 games, right?  (similar to what we've seen with PS1 games on the PSP).  If Sony's smart - which they've proven time and time again that they aren't - they'd open up a huge back catalog of top-shelf PS2 games when this thing is launched.

Playing FFX on a handheld would be sweet.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2011, 12:45:55 AM »

press event is on Tokyo time, so 1am EST tonight/tomorrow morning.  the rest of you can figure out what time for yourself  Tongue

Because I can,
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2011, 06:35:29 AM »

Here it is in 2 analog stick glory (still not getting it) ((unless there's an uncharted game)) (((EDIT:  G dammit Uncharted coming -_- )))

From Engadget:
Specs include a 5-inch OLED display with 960 x 544 resolution, dual analog sticks (not nubs as on the current generation), 3G, GPS, front and rear touchpads, an electronic compass, and cameras on both the front and the rear. Available this holiday season. Wait... what?!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 06:38:57 AM by leo8877 » Logged
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2011, 06:42:12 AM »

Electronic Compass?!?!!! SOLD!

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2011, 07:02:33 AM »

Some games that have been announced:
Little Deviants
Reality Fighters
Gravity Daze

plus games based on the following PlayStation franchises:
Uncharted
Killzone
WipeOut
Resistance
LittleBigPlanet
Hustle Kings
Hot Shots Golf

Sandwiches do fix everything.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2011, 07:35:50 AM »

Let's see - a touchscreen, tilt controls, a "tag" mode that detects other users nearby, two cameras, and games on cartridges.  Where have I heard these features before.... slywink

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2011, 07:57:33 AM »

If they make the Killzone game more like Liberation, and not another FPS, then I'm all for it.

There's nothing too special about the features, but the key point is it's basically what people wanted. A dual analog handheld.

Oh and all digital PSP titles work fine in this "NGP", doens't make up for the Go, or the ridiculous prices on PSP digital software, but it's nice.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 07:59:42 AM by Turtle » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 29   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: