http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 05:45:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 29   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PS Vita Impressions! Price drop! Casual Edition! Vita TV!  (Read 37240 times)
EddieA
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: December 07, 2011, 10:40:01 AM »

It's rather odd that they pushed all-digital with the PSP Go and now they're actively discouraging people from digital downloads with exorbitantly-priced memory.  If some PSP games are already pushing 1.5 - 2 GB, you're not going to fit many Vita games on anything but the 16 or 32 GB cards.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: December 07, 2011, 02:22:55 PM »

Isn't putting out proprietary memory cards like inventing the umd all over again? I'm unclear what format the games are in if you buy them in a store, I need to research that.

EDIT: OK, I see games come on these "Vita cards". I also read that the proprietary cards have some sort of piracy protection built in. We'll see how long that lasts.

I wonder how big a game is? If I only get a 4GB card, will I be able to fit a normal game on there plus saves?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 02:28:42 PM by Teggy » Logged

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #202 on: December 07, 2011, 04:29:31 PM »

I'm surprised there aren't two memory card slots (one for games, one for saves), so then you'd be forced to buy a memory stick. biggrin

And you'd think that the cards the games come on would be write protected, so you wouldn't be able to save any games at all on them.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: December 17, 2011, 08:37:15 AM »

The PSP Vita is out!!! (in Japan)
Restrained myself from picking one up today.  To be honest I'm not sure if there are even any wifi versions available.  They're probably all sold out.  Pretty decent starting line up.  They've got Uncharted and Let's Golf.  Those are two must have games. smile
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #204 on: December 19, 2011, 04:25:53 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on December 17, 2011, 08:37:15 AM

Restrained myself from picking one up today.  To be honest I'm not sure if there are even any wifi versions available.  They're probably all sold out.  Pretty decent starting line up.  They've got Uncharted and Let's Golf.  Those are two must have games. smile

One DAY later, the hackers are already running unsigned code on the device. *facedesk*

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #205 on: December 19, 2011, 06:14:48 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on December 19, 2011, 04:25:53 AM

One DAY later, the hackers are already running unsigned code on the device. *facedesk*

Yes, but only in the PSP emulator, using hacks that were already known. I don't know why those loopholes weren't closed, but they don't give access to the Vita iself.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: December 19, 2011, 03:53:49 PM »

Restrained myself from picking one up today.  To be honest I'm not sure if there are even any wifi versions available.  They're probably all sold out.  Pretty decent starting line up.  They've got Uncharted and Let's Golf.  Those are two must have games. smile

Get one! Is it region locked? Get one for me!!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: December 20, 2011, 07:57:46 PM »

321,000 Vita units sold in first two days.   eek

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #208 on: December 21, 2011, 10:26:38 AM »

Well, it is Japan. slywink
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: December 21, 2011, 11:39:32 AM »

I chance to try it out the other day.  If you like the PSP then you're going to love the Vita.  The Minna no Golf was the same as ever and the demo of uncharted was pretty good.  Climbing and stuff was a cinch, I didn't have much of a chance to try any gunplay except for using a sniper rifle which to be honest was a little bit wonky with the analog sticks.  The touch screen stuff seemed to me mainly thrown in just because TOUCH SCREEN! Although there were some good context sensitive uses which maybe helps to save having to assign a button to it (not that the other Uncharteds sufferered.  Once the games get rolling I'm sure it will be great.  I really hope that this doesn't get hacked (forever or at least a couple of years) so that developers really jump on it.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: December 23, 2011, 03:27:17 AM »

The memory card prices aren't as bad as the Gamestop listings, but they're not good.  According to Siliconera, the 4 - 32 GB cards will cost $20 - $100.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: December 23, 2011, 05:01:24 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on December 21, 2011, 11:39:32 AM

I really hope that this doesn't get hacked (forever or at least a couple of years) so that developers really jump on it.

There were reports of people running unsigned code a few hours after it went on sale.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: December 23, 2011, 05:15:16 PM »

I had the 3G version preordered for the longest time.    Yesterday I took a few mins to study 3G vs Wifi for a while to make sure that's what I wanted to do.    I wound up switching my preorder to Wifi only.    Two factors contributed:

-- No real named advantages to having 3G other than being able to tweet and download <20mb files
-- The need to have yet another AT&T data plan in addition to the plan I already have.    No mention of being able to purchase the plan on demand like the iPad (it could be structured like this but I couldnt' find info on it).

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: December 29, 2011, 01:25:42 AM »

review of the Japanese launch unit: http://www.joystiq.com/2011/12/28/review-playstation-vita-japan-launch-model/

also,

slight drop in sales: http://www.joystiq.com/2011/12/28/vita-sales-drop-below-3ds-psp-in-japan/

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: December 31, 2011, 12:20:43 AM »

The sky is falling over at GAF after initial sales results. Given that I decided to build a PC I will go wait and see on the Vita. Definitely still want to play the uncharted game.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: December 31, 2011, 11:45:41 PM »

Damnit SONY.... I want this thing to be successful.

DO WHATEVER YOU HAVE TO DO.   Cut the damn price by 75 bucks or something....   anything.

This moronic notion that portable devices provide a good gaming experience is idiotic and only driven by Wall Street 'experts' that don't understand how totally shitty these touch screen pay-for-play games are.    It's ridiculous to think that these platforms aren't better for gaming (the dedicated gaming devices).    The big two just consistently OVERPRICE their crap for the market.

Here's another doom and gloom article:

link

CUT THE PRICE SONY!   I don't want to fork out the $$ for my preorder just for the damn system to die a quick death.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: December 31, 2011, 11:57:28 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on December 31, 2011, 11:45:41 PM

DO WHATEVER YOU HAVE TO DO.   Cut the damn price by 75 bucks or something....   anything.

This moronic notion that portable devices provide a good gaming experience is idiotic and only driven by Wall Street 'experts' that don't understand how totally shitty these touch screen pay-for-play games are.    It's ridiculous to think that these platforms aren't better for gaming (the dedicated gaming devices).    The big two just consistently OVERPRICE their crap for the market.

link

CUT THE PRICE SONY!   I don't want to fork out the $$ for my preorder just for the damn system to die a quick death.

don't forget to build up hype too!  I wanna be able to eBay this sucker!

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 04, 2012, 10:19:15 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on December 23, 2011, 03:27:17 AM

The memory card prices aren't as bad as the Gamestop listings, but they're not good.  According to Siliconera, the 4 - 32 GB cards will cost $20 - $100.

what's odd is that Amazon doesn't seem to have the memory cards listed, and Gamestop hasn't changed their prices on their website so they're 20 bucks more.

Because I can,
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 05, 2012, 02:52:22 PM »

I'm excited for the Vita. I didn't get a 3ds cause I already have a DS and the 3ds isn't all the different from it, besides the 3d part....which is pretty much just a silly gimmick.

As far as the Vita, it has one of the most impressive launch lineups for a system in quite awhile and the price is not that bad for the kind of power that you are getting. Anyway, I've got mine prerodered and am eagerly awaiting it! smile

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 05, 2012, 02:55:09 PM »

I was a little flabbergasted to see the Vita is coming next month!  For some reason, my mind had it coming much later.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: January 05, 2012, 04:48:37 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on December 31, 2011, 11:45:41 PM

link

+1

They really need to start acting like a company that is hungry for market share rather than a company that thinks it is the best thing ever and people should wake up to that fact.

Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #221 on: January 05, 2012, 10:50:34 PM »

Man, how times change.  Just last spring, Sony was being praised for keeping the price down while delivering a much improved handheld.  Nintendo was being criticized for releasing an 'inferior' and 'gimmicky' handheld at the same price point.

I think the Vita looks good, but I'm not sure I'm an early adopter any more.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: January 06, 2012, 03:47:08 AM »

Can. Not. Wait. To be part of Sony's "Ambassador Program" too!  icon_frown

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: January 06, 2012, 04:24:37 AM »

Quote from: Devil on January 06, 2012, 03:47:08 AM

Can. Not. Wait. To be part of Sony's "Ambassador Program" too!  icon_frown

I'm still in, too.  There's enough games I'm interested in at launch alone to justify it.  Also, I've had nothing but joy from my 3DS, even during the lean launch times.  Love me some portables that aren't iOS gaming.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: January 11, 2012, 06:21:18 PM »

you could win a Vita by eating at Taco Bell (or doing 2 other things).

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #225 on: January 11, 2012, 08:15:43 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 11, 2012, 06:21:18 PM

you could win a Vita by eating at Taco Bell (or doing 2 other things).

You never win by eating at Taco Bell.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: January 14, 2012, 05:42:26 PM »

I decided to change my pre-order to the First Edition bundle.  Also pre-ordered Wipeout, Hot Shots Golf, Uncharted, Rayman Origins, BlazBlue, and Lumines.  Little Deviants comes in the bundle.  So, I guess I am all set.

msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: January 18, 2012, 08:23:41 PM »

Does the First Edition Bundle include a memory card?

I would buy the bundle, except I've started to second guess getting the 3G version of the device.   I already have access at home, access for my phone, the potential access for my iPad.    I'm not sure if I'm gaining much through the access on the Vita.    Not sure I've seen really anything that would justify the 3G access or model of the device for the extra cost.

Should I be looking at the 3G version?    Should I be looking at First Edition (it has a case, but does it have a memory card?)

Decisions Decisions.     $300 is a lot for a portable.    $250 is more in the comfort range.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: January 18, 2012, 09:15:53 PM »

4G card with the first edition bundle. Would be $20 on its own.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #229 on: January 18, 2012, 09:31:38 PM »

I can't find any memory cards to preorder here in Norway. In fact, there's no information about them at all, and I don't even know what comes with the Vita itself. I hope this gets sorted out before release, because I want a big card right away so that I don't have to swap it for a different one after a few months. I've got tons of stuff from the PSP and PS3 to install there already.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: January 19, 2012, 12:36:02 AM »

Curses.    They ought to offer a Wifi only First Edition bundle.   frown

I like everything in it except the 50 extra bucks for 3G
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: January 19, 2012, 03:08:34 AM »

I agree, but for the $50, at this point, at least I have the option to use 3G even if I can't imagine a scenario where I would.

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: January 19, 2012, 09:10:32 PM »

Quote from: Devil on January 19, 2012, 03:08:34 AM

I agree, but for the $50, at this point, at least I have the option to use 3G even if I can't imagine a scenario where I would.

Agree. I changed from wifi to this version for that very reason. No contract data makes it easy to turn service on or off.

msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: January 21, 2012, 03:09:42 AM »

Alright.   I caved and sold some jizzunk on ebay.    I'm getting the First Edition bundle.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: January 21, 2012, 03:58:25 AM »

Quote from: msduncan on January 21, 2012, 03:09:42 AM

Alright.   I caved and sold some jizzunk on ebay.    I'm getting the First Edition bundle.

Yeay! Misery loves company!

I think the system is going to be great, it's the $100 price drop in March that's going to kill us!

msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: January 21, 2012, 06:00:05 AM »

Quote from: Devil on January 21, 2012, 03:58:25 AM

Quote from: msduncan on January 21, 2012, 03:09:42 AM

Yeay! Misery loves company!

I think the system is going to be great, it's the $100 price drop in March that's going to kill us!

No kidding.   And I really need to find some extra stuff to sell to buy a game.   It's better with a game you know...

Which games are you First Edition guys buying?
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: January 21, 2012, 06:19:20 AM »

More doom and gloom from Japan as the PSP is now outselling the Vita.  If you guys screw up my inevitable pricedrop by preordering I'll be pissed! mad
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #237 on: January 21, 2012, 08:48:40 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on January 21, 2012, 06:19:20 AM

More doom and gloom from Japan as the PSP is now outselling the Vita.  If you guys screw up my inevitable pricedrop by preordering I'll be pissed! mad

I guess this isn't the right moment to say that I preordered the Vita, a 16 GB memory card and Uncharted yesterday, is it?  Tongue
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: January 21, 2012, 09:03:28 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on January 21, 2012, 08:48:40 AM

Quote from: Canuck on January 21, 2012, 06:19:20 AM

I guess this isn't the right moment to say that I preordered the Vita, a 16 GB memory card and Uncharted yesterday, is it?  Tongue

that's OK, I cancelled mine yesterday. the lack of hype has me doubting it's eBayability, and if I were to get stuck with it none of the launch titles are very exciting to me.  now when there is a price drop  to below $200 I'll consider it again, and hopefully there will be some games that interest me by then.

Because I can,
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: January 21, 2012, 03:46:39 PM »

If the reports are true that this thing takes only $160 to make, then Sony is just being a dick about not dropping the price.

I have to admit that these Japanese numbers are starting to make me wonder if I'm about to spend $350 on an Atari Jaguar (ie a system that flops spectacularly within a year).    frown   I'm hoping that the theories that this device is more of a Western-centric device are true.   There *seems* to be more interest in it in America and Europe, but we won't know until launch.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 29   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: