http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 11:44:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plants vs Zombies 2 out in iOS app store  (Read 1295 times)
namatoki
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: August 15, 2013, 04:30:17 AM »

Downloaded Plants vs Zombies 2 and just started playing.  So far it looks really interesting!  icon_biggrin
msteelers
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 01:27:44 PM »

Cool. Downloading now. I'll give it a shot at lunch.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 01:29:09 PM »

My biggest Qs:  How much can you smell EA's influence, and how aggressive is the in-app-purchase scheme?
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 04:32:29 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on August 15, 2013, 01:29:09 PM

My biggest Qs:  How much can you smell EA's influence, and how aggressive is the in-app-purchase scheme?

From a review, you can earn everything that the game tries to sell you. And if you're a compulsive PvZ player, you'll earn everything for sure.

Note: I don't play the game at all - just happened to see the post and commented upon it.

http://kotaku.com/plants-vs-zombies-2-is-free-to-play-thats-better-with-1147085832

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Mikagami
Gaming Trend Reader

Click Clack Click Clack

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 07:32:34 AM »

Still no Steam or Android love from PvZ2 frown

Gonna eat your face
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 09:44:27 AM »

Quote from: Mikagami on September 25, 2013, 07:32:34 AM

That's because Apple gave EA a "truckload" of money to delay releasing the game on other platforms.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2013, 04:05:50 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on September 25, 2013, 09:44:27 AM

Quote from: Mikagami on September 25, 2013, 07:32:34 AM

That's because Apple gave EA a "truckload" of money to delay releasing the game on other platforms.

finger EA for accepting it

Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2013, 04:08:09 PM »

Is the game as good as the first one? I'd like to try it but dealing with IAP turned me off.

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2013, 04:45:32 PM »

It's better than the first one.  I haven't paid anything.  Unlocking new stuff through completing challenges is more fun than just paying real money to unlock.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2013, 04:47:19 PM »

Quote from: Crusis on September 25, 2013, 04:08:09 PM

Is the game as good as the first one? I'd like to try it but dealing with IAP turned me off.

I think the first one is more magical, but this one was a lot of fun, too.  And while they do try to encourage you to do IAP purchases every now and then, I never felt like I had to buy anything to play the game.  I beat the whole thing without paying a dime.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2013, 12:35:33 AM »

The first one was a game I played off and on for years, loved it (still do really). The second one is good, but it didn't grab me. Just felt like I was grinding levels to get stars to unlock stuff. I didn't really find the new mechanics added much to it.

Don't let F2P stuff bother, didn't pay a dime, and never felt like I needed to.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2013, 03:01:55 AM »

EA is actually handling this better than Disney is with Where's My Water 2.  They have the energy timer, let you play through two full sets of levels, then put you up against a hard lock that either requires Facebook friend spamming or $2.7 in purchases.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

Quote from: McBa1n
http://www.vuvuzela.fm BVVVVVVVVVVVRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2013, 03:45:33 AM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on September 27, 2013, 03:01:55 AM

EA is actually handling this better than Disney is with Where's My Water 2.  They have the energy timer, let you play through two full sets of levels, then put you up against a hard lock that either requires Facebook friend spamming or $2.7 in purchases.

Does the $2.7 purchase unlock the whole game permanently or just give you some energy timer to play until the next hard lock?
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2013, 11:29:08 PM »

I dropped a number.  It's $2.97, $0.99 per 'key' for three needed keys to unlock a gate which, I assume, leads to another set of levels, and probably a couple of sets of levels later, will run me up another friend-spam/pay gate.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

Quote from: McBa1n
http://www.vuvuzela.fm BVVVVVVVVVVVRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2013, 07:36:11 AM »

The Android version of the game is finally available in the US.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2013, 11:47:40 AM »

PopCap has released an update for the game and completely overhauled the way you progress.  The stars and star gates are gone, in favor of a linear progression of levels as in the first game.

Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2013, 12:54:10 PM »

Still no sign of PC or consoles?
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2013, 01:17:49 AM »

Reading various forums and blogs, this one really bombed despite its good reviews and updates. Didn't seem to grab many. I know I haven't touched it since the first week it came out. I like EA less each game they put out, unsupported iOS apps, ruined Sim City, and bad F2P mechanics.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2013, 01:35:42 PM »

Quote from: Lee on December 19, 2013, 01:17:49 AM

Reading various forums and blogs, this one really bombed despite its good reviews and updates. Didn't seem to grab many. I know I haven't touched it since the first week it came out. I like EA less each game they put out, unsupported iOS apps, ruined Sim City, and bad F2P mechanics.

I just can't stand all the micro transactions they want you to do in most iOS/Android games. I don't want to be constantly harassed to buy power ups not to mention all the popup ads for other games. Which is why I haven't played PvZ 2 as much as I otherwise would.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2013, 03:53:00 PM »

I've been enjoying it, but the revamp hit me as I was almost finished with the Pirate world.  I sort of miss the old way they did the star challenges, but I do not miss grinding for keys (I STILL was one key away from unlocking the last gate I had in Egypt even after doing everything else on that level).  I'm undecided about the other balance changes (50 per sun vs. 25) as it's hard to judge with the new gameplay elements (minecarts) in the Wild West world.

I would have rather paid a straight price vs. the IAP nonsense.  Seeing some of the cool plants being IAP really freezes my melons.  I won't spend money on stuff like that.  For a new world/expansion?  Ok.  For a plant or powerup?  No thanks.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: