http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 02:08:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nintendo 3DS LL (XL in the States) - Circle Pad Pro XL!  (Read 7650 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 30, 2013, 05:34:54 PM »

black confirmed to August 11th, alongside Mario & Luigi: Dream Team.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 26, 2013, 05:55:06 PM »

fwiw, I broke down and got a DS XL for myself as an Xmas present (my mom gave me some money, but I mostly got books and clothing as gifts).

I knew I'd love Ghost Recon Shadow Wars, and I truly do (downloaded it via eShop).  icon_cool I wish there were more games like it and less of the cartoonish or medieval RPG variety, in terms of turn-based tactical strategy stuff. I got the Fire Emblem Awakening demo and might get ProjectX Zone, just cause I love turn-based squad type stuff in general.

The 3D effect in Shadow Wars is nice, including on the squad management screens. I do tend to have to fiddle with the viewing angle and the 3D depth slider a bit.

XL is definitely better for my large hands. Battery life is just OK, but the A/C cord is nice and long so it's not too much trouble to just play with it plugged in.

While I'm sorry I waited more than 2 years, it was an impulse buy. A lonely black 3DS XL at a nearby store, and I wanted to give it a home.  icon_smile

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: December 26, 2013, 11:58:30 PM »

If you have large hands, I'd still suggest getting a grip.

Sadly, the circle pad pro only works as a grip for games that support it, since it blocks some buttons.

The XL isn't really that portable anyway, so a grip just makes it more enjoyable to use.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 27, 2013, 03:17:28 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on December 26, 2013, 11:58:30 PM

Sadly, the circle pad pro only works as a grip for games that support it, since it blocks some buttons.

The XL isn't really that portable anyway, so a grip just makes it more enjoyable to use.
Now I can tell people, "Turtle told me to 'get a grip!'"  icon_eek icon_biggrin

I'll keep that in mind. At least for turn-based tactical stuff, the size seems fine for me. My hands are large in terms of long fingers but not in terms of being, um, muscular or meaty.  icon_smile

I don't think ProjectX Zone is in the eShop as of yet, so I might try to track that down in a store this weekend.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: December 27, 2013, 10:00:29 PM »

Any recommendations? My hands feel like they're cramping up on my XL (at least it's uncomfortable to use for any real length of time) and maybe this will help.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 28, 2013, 03:22:13 AM »

I usually have a bad problem with hand cramping, and I'm able to use the XL pretty well. It's not perfect, but a worlds better then I do with the Vita. Wouldn't mind trying a grip with it, but I haven't sought one out like I immediately did with the vita.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 28, 2013, 04:01:48 AM »

I usually play mine slouched or lying down. That way I can rest it on my chest. I can't handle the thumb nub for long without discomfort if I'm just holding it.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 28, 2013, 02:46:52 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on December 27, 2013, 10:00:29 PM

Any recommendations? My hands feel like they're cramping up on my XL (at least it's uncomfortable to use for any real length of time) and maybe this will help.

I was wondering the same thing.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 28, 2013, 05:19:50 PM »

Quote from: JCC on December 28, 2013, 04:01:48 AM

I usually play mine slouched or lying down. That way I can rest it on my chest. I can't handle the thumb nub for long without discomfort if I'm just holding it.

Don't take this out of context anyone. I did, and regret it.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 28, 2013, 06:01:03 PM »

Quote from: Harpua3 on December 28, 2013, 05:19:50 PM

I play with mine sitting on the couch, both upright and slouching, and sometimes lying down in bed. It's cool to see it in 3-D. I haven't tried playing with mine while I'm out in public, I've heard that's fun because you can run into people playing with theirs and put them together to exchange stuff...

I'm talking about the DS XL of course...   icon_lol The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you.

I haven't had cramping issues with tactical strategy stuff. I'm sure if I play more frantic button pushers on it, finger cramping might be more evident. But if I could live with a DS and GBA-SP without hand cramps, I can probably survive on this.

I still miss some things on the GBA-SP. I think I liked the Advance Wars game made for that more than the 2007 era AW Dual Strike for DS. Also liked Medal of Honor Infiltrator on it (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/r_mohinfiltrator_gba), and kinda wish there was something like that on DS.

Really digging Shadow Wars, esp. the variety and the quick instruction in how to use/do new things as they come about. The missile cave base mission was epic.  icon_cool It apparently has 37 missions (!) for 35-45 hours of play. I feel like I've already played it that long, been nothing but fun though. I just look at my campaign slot and it says 6% (!) - long way to go.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 06:04:45 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 28, 2013, 09:57:22 PM »

Quote from: Harpua3 on December 28, 2013, 05:19:50 PM

LOL!

I was, of course, talking about my .... 3DS XL.... I think....

-John

Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 29, 2013, 02:27:42 AM »

I bought 2 of the bundled XLs at Target when they were having their $149 deal.  I was there to buy one for my son's Christmas wishlist.  The 2nd was an impulse purchase for myself because of the price.  I was leaning towards returning it after having second thoughts later that day, but then I played Fire Emblem.  It's like an improved, modern version of Final Fantasy Tactics.  And then I played Shin Megami Tensei 4, which is a first person, turn based RPG where you get to recruit demons into your party.  It's f'ng crazy jrpg stuff, but it's good old fashioned tactical turn based dungeon combat.  

I'm discovering the really strong turn based library on the 3DS, and really enjoying it.  JRPGs are not my favorite, but the ones on the 3DS are exceptionally good.      
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 11, 2014, 12:31:59 AM »

Picked one up to play Bravely Default, which they were sold out of so ordered it off Amazon. Bought Zelda A Link Between Worlds. What else do I need to get? Mainly an RPG player, love games like FF Tactics. So I guess Fire Emblem? Animal Crossing? Pokemon?
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 11, 2014, 01:27:37 AM »

Quote from: Lee on February 11, 2014, 12:31:59 AM

Picked one up to play Bravely Default, which they were sold out of so ordered it off Amazon. Bought Zelda A Link Between Worlds. What else do I need to get? Mainly an RPG player, love games like FF Tactics. So I guess Fire Emblem? Animal Crossing? Pokemon?

Definitely Fire Emblem.

-John

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: