http://gamingtrend.com
November 23, 2014, 07:11:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nimble Quest (iOS)  (Read 1874 times)
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« on: March 26, 2013, 11:00:35 PM »

NimbleBit's new game is out this week, but I got an early code and have been playing since Friday. This game is stuper addictive and I can't stop playing it.

Basically, the game is like classic snake, except that the "snake" is made up of little adventurer guys that have different attacks and you run around the field in a conga line and your guys automatically attack the various kinds of monsters. Just like in snake, if you run your lead character into a wall or an enemy, it is game over. If you hit another one of your characters, they will be lost.

Some of the characters are fairly similar, others differ dramatically. Some are ranged, others melee. The different types help keep the gameplay from getting stale to some extent, but you'll either like this or not, I suspect.

Controls are simple swipes, and the degree of control is much better than you might think. Even fairly small swipes work perfectly, a misinterpreted command has been extremely rare in my time with it. I love that the game plays in portrait or landscape.

As you complete the different levels, you unlock new characters (which means the snake can be longer as well). This is a free to play game with two types of currency, both of which can be earned in game. Each character has three upgrade levels. The first is very easy to get. The second takes a bit of effort. The third is a long haul, even after you get pretty good at the game. One of the currencies is used to upgrade powerups (things like shields, attack speed, magnets for picking up gems, etc) and also level characters more quickly. The other is used for continues, and also for "boost" items that last for a single game (these can be really useful if you are having a hard time getting past a certain level).

I've managed to complete 13 of the 20 levels. Happy to answer questions if anyone has them. Definitely check this out. When it hits the App Store Wednesday night.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 04:48:02 AM by Misguided » Logged

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 12:12:31 PM »

This sounds great.  Thanks, Mg.

I couldn't quite picture the snake aspect of this, for some reason, so I found a picture, and it is just as you described.

I'll pick this up tonight.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 01:47:45 PM »

Really been looking forward to this one...great to hear the positive feedback.

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 10:01:29 PM »

I like it but unfortunately I suck at it.  And I can't tell if any of the IAP would alleviate my suckitude.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 11:38:36 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on March 28, 2013, 10:01:29 PM

I like it but unfortunately I suck at it.  And I can't tell if any of the IAP would alleviate my suckitude.

I can't stop playing this damned game, lol.
The only thing I have bought is I unlocked Hydra prematurely for a buck. That was while I was stuck on Depths I, and helped me get over that hump. Now I'm trying to figure out how to conquer Courtyard II.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 01:47:08 AM »

Man, what an awesome little game.  Picked it up this afternoon and can't stop playing.  I'm stuck on level 7, but am having a blast trying to get past.  Starting to pick up on some of the strategy and getting better at controlling my dudes.

A big  thumbsup from me.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 04:16:03 AM »

I got worried when I saw this had a freemium in-app purchase scheme but it seems perfectly fun and playable without handing over the cash monies.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, 03:29:07 PM »

Yeah, this is my most played game over the last couple of days.  I, too, am terrible.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2013, 04:03:46 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on March 29, 2013, 04:16:03 AM

I got worried when I saw this had a freemium in-app purchase scheme but it seems perfectly fun and playable without handing over the cash monies.

I like it so much that I threw $5 their way to permanently unlock the red gems (worth 10X more).  Doubt I'll buy anything else, but it was absolutely worth that at least.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2013, 04:25:42 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on March 29, 2013, 04:03:46 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on March 29, 2013, 04:16:03 AM

I like it so much that I threw $5 their way to permanently unlock the red gems (worth 10X more).  Doubt I'll buy anything else, but it was absolutely worth that at least.

Yeah, I think I'll do that too.  Gems can unlock new hero levels in addition to the stuff in the store, but even more importantly it seems like blue gems heal your main hero in-game more than green gems do.  If red gems heal twice as much as blue, that seems like it'd really help survive.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2013, 10:05:17 PM »

I haven't unlocked the red gems, but they should heal 2x blue. Oscuros unlocked them and said they have saved his bacon a couple of times.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2013, 05:07:28 PM »

Got through two more boards this morning, now I'm stuck on "Forest 2".  A couple random thoughts:

1.  Upgrading the drops (more coins on chests, longer shields, bigger bomb radius, etc.) is HUGE.  They make a massive difference at the higher levels.
2.  Chest + magnet + red gems = WIN!
3.  I'm an idiot...just figured out that killing the lead monster in a group knocks out the rest as well.  Completely changes my strategy.
4.  Haven't upgraded anyone to the second star level yet, but have everyone at least at the 1-star level.  Makes a pretty big difference.

Still absolutely loving this game, easily my favorite mobile title this year.

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2013, 08:08:27 PM »

Gratch, once you beat Depths I, Forest II and Graveyard II (and even Sewers II) should be pretty doable. Things get tough again on Courtyard II in my experience.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2013, 02:15:12 PM »

Do characters level up when in the line or do you have to actively play them?

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2013, 02:22:34 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on April 02, 2013, 02:15:12 PM

Do characters level up when in the line or do you have to actively play them?

Only when they're the lead character you've chosen at the start.  You can also use gems to level them up, though, if there's someone you just have no interest in using as a lead.

And if you haven't already noticed, watch their armor when they level up so you can see the little visual upgrades they get.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2013, 10:29:04 AM »

The game is also available on Google Play now.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Cortilian
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2013, 02:21:48 PM »

Currently stuck on Depths I. Got every upgrade to level 4.  All heroes to the 1st star except slash I've gotten to 2.  Who have ya'll been using to get past this spot?
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2013, 02:49:45 PM »

Quote from: Cortilian on April 03, 2013, 02:21:48 PM

Currently stuck on Depths I. Got every upgrade to level 4.  All heroes to the 1st star except slash I've gotten to 2.  Who have ya'll been using to get past this spot?

When you get to Depths I, do you have a full group?  Are you dying from your lead character dying or from your group getting whittled away?  And when you're playing, do you roam around the whole board?  I find that when things get really tough I survive longer if I stick to one quadrant and make a jagged or zig-zag pattern.  If I get an ice or sword powerup then I get more daring poking into the rest of the board.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2013, 03:29:32 PM »

Yeah, there's a lot of AoE damage on Depths I, so running through the middle of packs will get you killed. 

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2013, 01:29:50 AM »

Just realized this is out in the Mac App Store as well. Was weird hearing it on real speakers. Fun little game and even easier to control with arrow keys.
namatoki
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2013, 01:40:22 AM »

So I don't know if I missed something but what is the bar for under each character in the character select menu?  Is that some sort of xp bar?  If so, seems like you need to kill a ton of monsters to get it to move. I've purchased the 1 star upgrade for all the characters unlocked thus far.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2013, 02:00:15 AM »

Quote from: namatoki on April 04, 2013, 01:40:22 AM

So I don't know if I missed something but what is the bar for under each character in the character select menu?  Is that some sort of xp bar?  If so, seems like you need to kill a ton of monsters to get it to move. I've purchased the 1 star upgrade for all the characters unlocked thus far.

Yes, it's the XP needed for the next star level.  1-star is easy, anything past that takes a TON of grinding or paying for gems.

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2013, 11:23:37 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on April 04, 2013, 02:00:15 AM

Yes, it's the XP needed for the next star level.  1-star is easy, anything past that takes a TON of grinding or paying for gems.

Actually, getting the second level only takes 3-4 runs per character once you get a little better (you can get past Depths I).

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2013, 12:49:33 AM »

Quote from: Misguided on April 04, 2013, 11:23:37 PM

Actually, getting the second level only takes 3-4 runs per character once you get a little better (you can get past Depths I).

Really?  I'm apparently doing something very wrong then.

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2013, 01:47:28 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on April 05, 2013, 12:49:33 AM

Quote from: Misguided on April 04, 2013, 11:23:37 PM

Really?  I'm apparently doing something very wrong then.

Here's a chart of monsters per level:
1. Forest 1: 15 (15 enemies)
2. Graveyard 1: 45 (30 enemies)
3. Sewer 1: 90 (45 enemies)
4. Courtyard 1: 150 (60 enemies)
5. Castle 1: 225 (75 enemies)
6. Dungeon 1: 315 (90 enemies)
7. Depths 1: 420 (105 enemies)

1. Forest 2: 540 (120 enemies)
2. Graveyard 2 : 675 (135 enemies)
3. Sewer 2: 825 (150 enemies)
4. Courtyard 2: 990 (165 enemies)
5. Castle 2: 1170 (180 enemies)
6. Dungeon 2: 1365 (195 enemies)
7. Depths 2: 1575 (210 enemies)

Once you are getting into Forest/graveyard 2 you are killing 500+ enemies per run. Assuming you are leading with the character you are trying to level, that's 1000+ XP per run (2 per kill) and 1500-2000 gems (without red gems unlocked). If you are getting a bit further, say Courtyard 2, it is probably three runs. I actually love Forest 2 and Graveyard 2. They are just insanely fun to me. By the time you get to Courtyard 2, the difficulty really picks back up.

I broke 300 in the arena for the first time today, which was pretty awesome.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 01:49:53 AM by Misguided » Logged

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2013, 12:22:01 PM »

Hahahahaha!

I've been past Courtyard I once, IIRC.  IIDRC, I have never been past Courtyard I.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2013, 01:58:07 PM »

I've gotten to Forest 2 no less than half a dozen times, as well as 20+ runs that ended somewhere in those first 7 levels.  Been playing it with a single character (Uther) and in all those runs combined, he's only about 2/3 of the way towards his level 2 star.

I'd love to know what you're doing to level so much more quickly!

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2013, 01:59:49 PM »

Do you have your treasure chest and magnet upgrades maxxed?  And did you buy the red gems unlock?
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2013, 02:08:49 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on April 05, 2013, 01:59:49 PM

Do you have your treasure chest and magnet upgrades maxxed?  And did you buy the red gems unlock?

I bought the red gem unlock.  Treasure chest is maxed, magnet is 4 out of 5 (as are all the other upgrades)

forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2013, 12:13:20 AM »

I wish this had cloud saves or some way of syncing status between my iphone and ipad.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2013, 03:34:48 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on April 05, 2013, 01:58:07 PM

I'd love to know what you're doing to level so much more quickly!

Sounds like you aren't using gems to level. With the red gem unlock (which I don't have) you should get....what...3k by the time you hit Forest 2? (Not counting monster xp). So, that's three trips, tops. Hit the little green +* button.

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2013, 03:45:38 AM »

Can't make it past Graveyard 3, between speedy suicidal bats and slowing spiders If I don't hit something myself, I lose enough of my party until I can't kill things quick enough.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: