http://gamingtrend.com
October 02, 2014, 08:50:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kid Icarus: Uprising: Who's In? (3DS)  (Read 888 times)
Eel Snave
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: March 19, 2012, 03:14:46 AM »

Famitsu gave it a perfect score. The Official Nintendo Magazine gave it 91%. Who's in?
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 03:19:20 AM »

I haven't seen reviews yet but I think I'll probably pick this up. 

Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 04:32:49 AM »

Not really my cup of tea ( And also I don't need another game right now...) but it does look good. Also waiting to check out a few reviews.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 11:32:43 AM »

Me.  I'm in.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 01:04:00 PM »

I'm in.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 07:05:48 PM »

Granted I haven't played the game yet. But a perfect score? I find that hard to believe.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 07:47:04 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on March 19, 2012, 07:05:48 PM

Granted I haven't played the game yet. But a perfect score? I find that hard to believe.

They used to be notoriously stingy with that kind of score, too, but I feel like it's been happening more and more lately.  Not that it's not an impressive score, anyway.

Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 09:50:56 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on March 19, 2012, 07:47:04 PM

Quote from: Scraper on March 19, 2012, 07:05:48 PM

They used to be notoriously stingy with that kind of score, too, but I feel like it's been happening more and more lately.  Not that it's not an impressive score, anyway.

Yeah I agree, it's impressive, hopefully the game lives up to it.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 03:00:39 AM »

I'm going to get it just for the stand!

First the right analog controller attachment, now this!  icon_wink

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 11:55:14 PM »

Nintendo is offering three free AR cards for the game.  While the order page says they will take weeks to ship, I ordered mine last week and they're already on their way.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2012, 03:37:17 PM »

If you're getting it, head to Best Buy, they have it for $29.99.  10 bucks cheaper than anywhere else.

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2012, 08:51:58 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on March 23, 2012, 03:37:17 PM

If you're getting it, head to Best Buy, they have it for $29.99.  10 bucks cheaper than anywhere else.

Thanks for posting this Bullwinkle. 

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2012, 11:55:20 PM »

First impressions are that I am loving it, but be forewarned that it can be stressful from an ergonomic level.  Remember Metroid Hunters?  Same basic control scheme, so you move around with the analog, shoot with L, and aim with the stylus.  Can wear on you a bit.  Might be why they wanted to include that stand.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2012, 01:17:45 AM »

Yeah, I played the first level and had a little difficulty.

Still, I can compare this very favorably to... of all things... Smash Bros. If you play it, you'll see why.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2012, 03:41:04 AM »

The stand makes perfect sense when you consider the control scheme plus a 3d effect that relies on having centered vision.  I am only playing one level at a time as the stress on your hand will interfere with your movement. 

Aside from that, the game is a fun mix of Panzer Dragoon Oorta and a bullet hell shmup with a decent weapon/power loot system. it's also one of the best looking games on the system and a great showcase of the 3d effect.

Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2012, 04:28:07 AM »

And now that I'm used to the controls, I've blown through six of the levels and replayed a bunch of the previous ones to get new weapons.

Also, wondering what the heck to use your Nintendo Coins on? There's a collectable system in here, similar to the statues in Smash Bros. Melee & Brawl, so you can use those coins to get idols, which is kind of cool. Eventually that unlocks an achievement, which gives you a power, etc. etc.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2012, 11:22:24 PM »

Lengthy impressions cross posted with OO
Spoiler for Hiden:
I picked this one up because it was on sale for $30 on release day and Iím glad I did because aside from one serious flaw (Iíll get to that) this could be a system seller.  For those unfamiliar with the title it has almost nothing in common with its side scroller past. 

The game is broken up into chapters with each chapter being composed of both a flight mission and a land mission.  The flying sections of the game are pure rail shooters; enemies fly at you and you shoot them while dodging projectiles.  These levels are really a joy to behold being fast, fun and quite pretty.  The land based sections feel like range focused Zelda.  You do have a melee attack but most enemies are easier dealt with from far away.  Oddly enough, despite the protagonist having wings there doesnít appear to be any way to jump.

The gameplay is energetic and fun and the story is delightfully cheesy and completely self-aware.  An interesting design decision that I love is the fact that the game features fully recorded audio and the characters NEVER stop talking.  The protagonist carries out conversations with his patron god or AI sidekicks you pick up as you travel and either fill in backstory or comment on things you encounter.
The game also features TONS of collectible items and equipment.  After the 2nd level you pick up about 5 different types of weapons and it looks like down the line you can upgrade them directly or even combine multiple weapons into super weapons. 

Graphically the game is also excellent and looks on par with the best looking games on the Wii or even a little better.  In the flying sections the 3D is also quite good but it will likely to make you sick in the land based sections.
All this sounds good right?  WellÖone problem.  The controls, oh god the controls!   First off some personal bias.  I hate the stylus and any sort of motion/touch controls in general.  Unless the game uses touch controls exclusively, such as Professor Layton, I donít want them included at all!  The default control scheme for Kid Icarus fails here by requiring that you hold the 3DS with your left hand, use your left thumb for the joystick with your pointer for the trigger button while targeting enemies with the stylus in your right hand.  ARGHJSAKJHDSFJKSDFJK.

Now to the games credit that is just one of many control schemes that are available to you.  Most of the controls can be remapped and after fiddling with things a bit I found a solution that while not ideal is quite functional and makes it so I donít have to use the stylus at all.  Basically I changed it so that the buttons on the right control the camera like a second joystick and it works pretty well.

So my final thoughts:
If they ever end up bundling the game with the Circle Pad Pro or add a second joystick with a remodeled 3DS this is a must own.  Otherwise I would say your enjoyment will depend entirely on if you can look past the awkward controls.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2012, 01:59:56 PM »

The game has a "Works With Circle Pad Pro" logo on the box, but the only functionality is for lefties.

As Lordnine mentioned, there is an option to use the buttons in place of the stylus.  Why the hell did they not allow the CPP to be used in the same way?  This game would be great and comfortable to play!

Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2012, 08:16:12 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on March 28, 2012, 01:59:56 PM

The game has a "Works With Circle Pad Pro" logo on the box, but the only functionality is for lefties.

As Lordnine mentioned, there is an option to use the buttons in place of the stylus.  Why the hell did they not allow the CPP to be used in the same way?  This game would be great and comfortable to play!

Seriously?  I just assumed it would play perfectly with the Circle Pad Pro.  Does it only let you use it for movement instead of aiming?  If so that is a shameful missed opportunity.
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2012, 09:59:03 PM »

On the plus side, Nintendo DOES have the ability to patch games now, so that may be added a later date. Still, yeah. Don't get why that's not there.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: