http://gamingtrend.com
September 18, 2014, 01:58:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: iTunes in-App purchases..?  (Read 496 times)
Vinda-Lou
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 18, 2012, 04:31:02 PM »

It's been a long time since I've checked out the App store on iTunes, but it seems that the majority of games and apps now "feature" in-app purchases.  Is this the new Horse Armor?  Or have these things been around so long everyone is over it (or never made a big deal)?  I see that some games are free but then have in-app purchases, too.  Do you made in-app purchases?  Am I the only one who thinks it's a bit of a rip off? 

(Disclaimer: I might be completely wrong about this, but the iTunes listings are not detailed enough to know.) 

The in-app purchases that are listed on the left are cut off and do not offer much information.  I'm sure in-game it makes more sense and has more details, but I do not want to buy something to find out.  So maybe they are useful or beneficial in that it helps support the developers - a good thing to be sure - or it is a way to rip off customers.  The Dungeon Defenders app looks like you need to buy in-app upgrades or something similar to get the most enjoyment out of it.  Am I wrong about these in-app purchases? 
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 05:13:54 PM »

As with most other things, it depends heavily on the implementation. There are plenty of games that just let you buy in-game currency or turns, the basic 'freemium' model, which are kind of a rip-off if they're not surrounding a really good core game. But there are other games (Puzzle Quest in its first implementation comes to mind) where IAP was reasonably priced and offered a ton of additional content, and apps like Hipstamatic where if you like the core concept, you'll probably get value for the IAP.

I think in general good developers are going to try to give you something for your money, or they'll be pretty up-front that what they're offering is insubstantial and you'd be purchasing it to support the developer. Bad developers are going to try to con you into buying next to nothing over and over.

So it runs the gamut from 'horse armor' to 'facebook Farmville credits' to real, legitimate content.

Calavera
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 09:12:54 PM »

Quote from: Clanwolfer on March 18, 2012, 05:13:54 PM

I think in general good developers are going to try to give you something for your money, or they'll be pretty up-front that what they're offering is insubstantial and you'd be purchasing it to support the developer. Bad developers are going to try to con you into buying next to nothing over and over.

Even worse developers are going to convert your paid app to a freemium app and then make you pay to unlock the full version again.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 12:36:22 PM »

Quote from: Calavera on March 18, 2012, 09:12:54 PM

Quote from: Clanwolfer on March 18, 2012, 05:13:54 PM

Even worse developers are going to convert your paid app to a freemium app and then make you pay to unlock the full version again.

Yeah, I got burned by that. I got some puzzle game awhile ago that was a "Premium" version that cost money....then they changed it to free and made it an in app purchase to to unlock the full version. So, when I got the new iPad and was redownloading all my purchases, it wanted me to pay $$ again to unlock the full game, which I had already bought!!!!  Total BS.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 03:14:44 PM »

It really depends on the app/publisher. There are many games that use IAP to follow a shareware type of model. You get to play part of the game, then fork over some cash to gain access to the rest. There are also some that have DLC-like content where you get no levels or maps. If I like a game, I have no problem with either of those.

What you  want to be leery of are games where you have to spend money to buy in game currency. Some of these are fine because it is completely optional (e.g. fairway Solitaire), but if buying currency is necessary to progress then you want to avoid it.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: