http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 02:11:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: iPhone/iTouch app and game thread  (Read 112246 times)
Gratch
Gaming Trend Senior Member

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #2080 on: June 25, 2014, 01:38:04 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 13, 2014, 08:48:23 PM

Quote from: Roguetad on June 13, 2014, 08:41:22 PM

Quote from: msteelers on June 13, 2014, 07:23:08 PM

I've been toying with Sky Force, but I'm really not good at the game. That's probably what has prevented the game from getting its dirty hooks into me.
It has an old school feel to it.  I think that's what keeps pulling me in.  It's not easy.  When I upgraded to Wing Cannons, and then Missiles, it got noticably easier.  I think we're meant to go back and replay earlier levels after upgrades to unlock more medals (and earn more stars).  I'm still impressed with the graphics.  It's one of the best looking games that I have on the iPad.    

I actually haven't even played anything but the first level!

The completionist in me wants to get all of those shiny trophies (for saving all the guys, shooting all the guys, not getting hit by the guys and something else guy-related) which increase multipliers.  I just got the shoot all the guys one, which leaves me with not getting hit and I've done them all, then level 2!

I've been playing quite a bit of this as well.  SHUMP's are typically not my thing, but this one is lots of fun...even if I'm terrible at it.  I've finished the first 4 missions, plus a couple of the "hard" versions that unlock after you get all the trophies for the regular stage.  Upgrades are definitely the key.  I've got my health and main cannon fully upgraded, and missiles, wing cannons, and magnet are all leveled about halfway (buying the X2 star booster helped).  They make a huge difference.

Finding that one postage stamp sized spot on the board that isn't filled with flaming death can be a challenge, but it's rather exhilarating when you do.  smile  

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #2081 on: June 25, 2014, 02:38:24 PM »

The Banner Saga coming to tablets this summer

Stoic's viking-themed tactical role-playing game, The Banner Saga, is coming to iOS and Android tablet devices this summer, publisher Versus Evil announced.

The tablet version of the game will be exactly the same as the full Mac and Windows PC version, which launched in January this year. The controls have been optimized for touch and swipe inputs

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #2082 on: June 25, 2014, 02:54:58 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on June 25, 2014, 02:38:24 PM

The Banner Saga coming to tablets this summer

Stoic's viking-themed tactical role-playing game, The Banner Saga, is coming to iOS and Android tablet devices this summer, publisher Versus Evil announced.

The tablet version of the game will be exactly the same as the full Mac and Windows PC version, which launched in January this year. The controls have been optimized for touch and swipe inputs

I tried 3-4 times to get into Banner Saga on PC, and it just never clicked.  It's a game that I really want to like though...a big part of the problem was that I was simply distracted by other stuff.  Hopefully an iOS version that I can dedicate some time to on long flights will be a good solution.

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #2083 on: June 26, 2014, 12:23:47 AM »

I have been playing 99 Bricks Wizardy Academy a lot. It's Tetris without the walls to hold it together so you need to really pay attention to getting everything intergrated and not leaving too many empty spots. You do have to grind a bit for the power ups and the controls can be awkward, but it's a lot if fun. If you like Tetris, you will like this.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #2084 on: June 26, 2014, 03:55:54 PM »

Deadpool table for Zen Pinball dropped this morning.  Played 6 games...it's rather underwhelming and surprisingly dull.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #2085 on: July 06, 2014, 02:05:30 PM »

Fates Forever is f2p mobs that seems at first glance to pretty much be iOS lol.  High production values and good controls
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #2086 on: July 07, 2014, 04:43:26 PM »

Age of Booty, Tactics as well as Cards and Castles are both very well done turn based games that have card based mechanics to them.  Between Fates Forever and these two I've had a fun mobile weekend.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #2087 on: July 07, 2014, 08:11:16 PM »

I ultimately decided it wasn't for me, but iOS just got a new Monster Hunter release which seems to be pretty well received. 

http://toucharcade.com/2014/07/03/monster-hunter-freedom-unite-review/

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #2088 on: July 07, 2014, 08:26:15 PM »

Everyone (ios sites) seems to be excited about Monster Hunter.  I am not huge on games that kind of require multiplayer to really get the full fun from the game but I can see my kids loving it if they played with friends.

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #2089 on: July 07, 2014, 09:14:21 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on July 07, 2014, 08:11:16 PM

I ultimately decided it wasn't for me, but iOS just got a new Monster Hunter release which seems to be pretty well received.  

http://toucharcade.com/2014/07/03/monster-hunter-freedom-unite-review/

Shocking, TA gives a 5 star review to a big name game. icon_lol I expect no less from them. I am sure it's good, just not my type of game.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #2090 on: July 07, 2014, 10:13:08 PM »

I got Monster Hunter, seems like it could be a blast, but for me the touch controls just aren't good enough.  will try again once I can find a sub $50 ipad controller.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #2091 on: July 21, 2014, 05:31:19 PM »

If you like Monument Valley, you may love...

A nice write up by pocket gamer of games like Monument Valley which I thought was pretty great.  I will be checking out a few of them. 

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #2092 on: July 25, 2014, 02:28:20 PM »

Avadon 2: The Corruption is on sale for $4.99 for the first time.

Anyone played this?  I love spiderweb software so I am interested but I know I will probably never finish it! smile

Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #2093 on: July 25, 2014, 02:29:23 PM »

If you like Metroidvania type games, you will love Traps and Gemstones. It definitely wins the "Awesome Game, Lousy Name" award, but don't let the generic title fool you, this one is great fun, with you exploring the underground tomb, collecting relics and upgrading your equipment. It has the right mix of difficulty and exploration. It reminds me of an old Commodore 64 game "Montezuma's Revenge".

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #2094 on: July 25, 2014, 04:47:57 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on July 25, 2014, 02:28:20 PM

Anyone played this?  I love spiderweb software so I am interested but I know I will probably never finish it! smile

I would definitely get it if it were on the Kindle. I just beat the first Avadon game (Escape from the Pit) and it was great. One of the better RPGs I've played in years on any system. It took me probably 40 - 60 hours to beat and I never got tired of it. I'm not sure how the sequel compares, but I would be shocked if it weren't good.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #2095 on: July 25, 2014, 04:49:04 PM »

Quote from: Suitably Ironic Moniker on July 25, 2014, 02:29:23 PM

It reminds me of an old Commodore 64 game "Montezuma's Revenge".

I loved that game!
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #2096 on: July 25, 2014, 05:00:42 PM »

Wait a second - I was thinking of Avernum Escape from the Pit (made by the same guys) which was awesome. I did play the first Avadon (The Black Fortress) as well; it was good but not nearly as good as Avernum. Much less exploration and a fairly linear storyline without many meaningful choices. I'm sure it's still worth $5, but I would pay the extra $5 and get Avernum first.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #2097 on: July 28, 2014, 03:25:19 PM »

Sword & Poker, one of my favorite "classic" iOS games, got a F2P reboot from Konami.  It all looks very slick and plays great, but they put in a stupid timer system that gives you one battle allowance every 15 minutes.  I played about 20 minutes on the initial allotment, then ran out of allowances and had to wait to play any more.  Deleted.

I also tried the F2P remake of Darkstone (a port of the 1999 PC Diablo clone), which apparently released a couple months ago without any fanfare at all.  I knew it was in soft launch mode, but just last night heard that it got a full release.  It's decent, but getting used to the touchscreen controls is proving to be quite challenging.  Brings back some good gaming memories.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 03:27:05 PM by Gratch » Logged

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #2098 on: July 28, 2014, 06:17:58 PM »

Saw the Sword & Poker ad in the app store, saw Konami written next to it and figured this couldn't be a good thing. Did a search and found about the clock so didn't bother. Everyone is jumping on the F2P bandwagon at this point. There was an enjoyable matching game called Dots, pretty basic, but a good time waster. They released a sequel called Two Dots, it might as well be called Dots Saga, it ramps up the difficulty, gives you limited tries and then wants to sell you more tries or bombs.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #2099 on: July 28, 2014, 06:28:16 PM »

The timer might actually be the least egregious of the freemium aspects.  The whole thing is a mess, which is a shame as the gameplay is actually very fun.

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #2100 on: July 30, 2014, 04:43:26 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on July 28, 2014, 06:28:16 PM

The timer might actually be the least egregious of the freemium aspects.

Really? If I like a game, I just want to play it, not wait for when it will let me play it again.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #2101 on: July 30, 2014, 01:12:34 PM »

Quote from: Lee on July 30, 2014, 04:43:26 AM

Quote from: Gratch on July 28, 2014, 06:28:16 PM

The timer might actually be the least egregious of the freemium aspects.

Really? If I like a game, I just want to play it, not wait for when it will let me play it again.

Let me clarify.  The timers are awful, but they are only one of the ridiculous freemium aspects.  In order to purchase even low-level weapon upgrades requires gems, which come at a ridiculously slow pace.  A basic weapon costs 500 gems, and you might get 5 after clearing an entire level of between 4-6 battles.  So you'd have to clear nearly 100 levels to be able to afford even a basic weapon.  And since a single level requires you to spend 10'ish battle points (the timer currency), you can only clear 1-2 before having to either wait for the timer to reset or pay for more.  I can't even imagine what it would cost when you get to the higher levels.  If there's a flat fee to remove the timers, I didn't see it anywhere.

It's really quite ridiculous, and reminds me of EA's Dungeon Keeper freemium fiasco.

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #2102 on: July 30, 2014, 01:30:59 PM »

I reinstalled Sword and Poker 2 after playing the new one for a day or two.  It doesn't look as good but it is more fun.

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #2103 on: August 04, 2014, 01:25:42 PM »

Bioshock is coming to ios!

http://kotaku.com/bioshock-goes-portable-heading-to-ios-1615657127

And here is some video of gameplay.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/8/4/5967395/this-is-what-it-looks-like-to-play-bioshock-on-an-ipad
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 06:44:02 PM by farley2k » Logged

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #2104 on: August 04, 2014, 08:40:52 PM »

Secret of Mana is only $3.99 today.  Worth it just for the music.  smile

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #2105 on: August 05, 2014, 01:21:32 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on August 04, 2014, 08:40:52 PM

On sale through the 10th. However, what worries me is it is an iPhone game... how does that translate to playing it on an iPad?

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #2106 on: August 05, 2014, 01:57:42 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on August 05, 2014, 01:21:32 PM

Quote from: Gratch on August 04, 2014, 08:40:52 PM

On sale through the 10th. However, what worries me is it is an iPhone game... how does that translate to playing it on an iPad?

It's ok on iPad.  Gets a little tiny bit fuzzy when you blow it up to 2x, but I don't find it distracting a at all.

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #2107 on: August 07, 2014, 05:18:04 PM »

Godus is out as a F2P. Haven't tried it yet on iOS, but the PC version is ok, I kind of lost interest in even though I was a kickstarter backer.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #2108 on: August 08, 2014, 04:18:37 AM »

Gave Godus a try. After 15 minutes it asks you to rate the game (by giving you an in game reward that turns out to be a message asking you to do so). Then it tells you if you want to keep playing you need to register with their site. Also told it not to allow notifications, it did so anyway. Deleted.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #2109 on: August 08, 2014, 07:31:50 PM »

Quote from: Lee on August 08, 2014, 04:18:37 AM

Gave Godus a try. After 15 minutes it asks you to rate the game (by giving you an in game reward that turns out to be a message asking you to do so). Then it tells you if you want to keep playing you need to register with their site. Also told it not to allow notifications, it did so anyway. Deleted.

Yeah, people are pissed at Molyneux about Godus, especially those who backed it on Kickstarter.

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #2110 on: August 08, 2014, 08:53:55 PM »

Over 4500 reviews on the App Store and at 4.5 stars. The general public seem to like it. I have read the timers get a bit ridiculous though. I realize the App Store rating doesn't mean much, but it never fails to surprise me what people like on there.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 08:57:45 PM by Lee » Logged
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #2111 on: August 14, 2014, 08:12:47 PM »

My only issue with Godus so far is that even with the leashing ability, getting my followers to go where I want them to go is starting to feel like Get Really Pissed Off At Pathfinding: The Game.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #2112 on: August 14, 2014, 10:02:15 PM »

Just wanted to point out that after several ridiculous approval hiccups, the fantastic deckbuilding game Star Realms has finally hit the app store (it's been out on Android for a few weeks).

I have been playing the beta on PC for a while now, and it's really a lot of fun.  In my mind, it could surpass Ascension for ease of play deckbuilders on mobile.

Of course, Ascension is a game I don't really care for in real life, whereas. I find it way more playable on my tablet.  Star Realms, on the other hand, I find to be fantastic IRL.  It borrows some mechanics from Ascension, but stands on its own with speedy play and well-balanced cards.

It's free, essentially, but costs $4.99 to unlock things like multiple AI challengers and such, but you can give it a try for nothing, so why not?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #2113 on: August 21, 2014, 07:28:07 AM »

Motorsport Manager is pretty good so far. Not overly complicated, but pretty addicting so far. Kind of like the Kariosoft (sp?) racing game but it has a much more adult feel to it. Interface is pretty good, but I would like a bit more info on screen at times. Unfortunately you can't turn off the repetitive music without turn off the sound effects (and once in game I can't even figure out how to get back to the main menu).

$5 and no IAP. Seems worth it so far.

Edit: 5 stars on Pocket Tactics. Worth a read if you are on the fence.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 04:44:02 PM by Lee » Logged
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #2114 on: August 21, 2014, 05:15:32 PM »

what country are you in?  as far as I can see Motorsports Manager isn't out here
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #2115 on: August 21, 2014, 05:40:50 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on August 21, 2014, 05:15:32 PM

what country are you in?  as far as I can see Motorsports Manager isn't out here

US. No "s" at the end of Motorsport, that might be your problem if you are doing a search. It is also listed in some of the "top" charts, such as the simulation category.

Link courtesy of the of the Pocket Tactics review. If this doesn't work, here's the link to the review, where you can click the link at the bottom. Sorry I didn't post links before, was on iPad so was lazy.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #2116 on: August 21, 2014, 05:52:34 PM »

so odd, yeah I typed it correctly.  No search result on phone or ipad and the official website still has blank link with coming soon.

the link in the review is the only way I could find it.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #2117 on: August 21, 2014, 08:11:24 PM »

Legend of Grimrock still coming for iOS.

A friend of us and a coder extraordinaire, Juha Pinola has now been working on the iOS version of Legend of Grimrock 1 for some time and the game is shaping up really well. We do not know the release date just yet other than “when it’s done” but we’ll let you know when we know, ok? The game isn’t just a direct port from the PC version of Legend of Grimrock. We have always felt that the game wouldn’t work on touch screens straight out of the box but needed a few custom mechanics to get the benefits of the touch interface.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #2118 on: August 22, 2014, 03:57:53 AM »

my first race is here.  pardon the hair, forgot to do it.

http://www.twitch.tv/harkonis/c/4960602

was almost done with my race when I realized I hadn't plugged in my streaming gear.  plugged it in and was looking at the ios desktop.  Had to restart frown  oddly the first race was 16 laps, my second first race was 21
Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2119 on: August 22, 2014, 09:22:50 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on July 25, 2014, 02:28:20 PM

I bought Avadon 2 for iPad after seeing this post, and have put about 8 hours into it so far.  I wasn't sure how well the touch interface would work, but it turned out well.  As a fellow Spiderweb fan (who has never finished a Spiderweb game), I think this is well worth $5 (if it's still on sale), even full price.
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: