http://gamingtrend.com
December 19, 2014, 02:38:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: iPhone/iTouch app and game thread  (Read 111867 times)
wonderpug
Gaming Trend Senior Member

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #2040 on: May 29, 2014, 03:20:15 PM »

I haven't tried Dream Quest yet, but from looking at it I think its graphics are bad enough to go beyond just "you're a graphics snob if you can't handle this."  Poor graphics or simple graphics are one thing--if Dream Quest had ASCII graphics my imagination would just kick in a bit more to compensate--but these graphics are so incredibly bad I could see them actually being distracting.   
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #2041 on: May 29, 2014, 04:31:37 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on May 29, 2014, 03:20:15 PM

I haven't tried Dream Quest yet, but from looking at it I think its graphics are bad enough to go beyond just "you're a graphics snob if you can't handle this."  Poor graphics or simple graphics are one thing--if Dream Quest had ASCII graphics my imagination would just kick in a bit more to compensate--but these graphics are so incredibly bad I could see them actually being distracting.   

But then a number of people tell you it works even with the graphics.  Do you continue to ignore it?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #2042 on: May 29, 2014, 04:50:00 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on May 29, 2014, 04:31:37 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on May 29, 2014, 03:20:15 PM

But then a number of people tell you it works even with the graphics.  Do you continue to ignore it?

I don't, but this game seems to reach such new heights of badgraphicary that it's easier for me to relate to people who stay away from it for just that reason.  Harder for me to relate to people who won't even try Minecraft or Dwarf Fortress.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #2043 on: May 29, 2014, 04:59:13 PM »

Anyone got a link to these horrible graphics?  I have searched Youtube for the game and don't see anything.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #2044 on: May 29, 2014, 05:10:56 PM »

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #2045 on: May 29, 2014, 05:11:42 PM »

Ok that is pretty bad...and I have no standards.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #2046 on: May 29, 2014, 05:23:38 PM »

I think what makes it particularly bad is that it combines multiple forms of badgraphicary.  If it was just MS Paint stick figures, no problem.  I had a ton of fun with Kingdom of Loathing:

But combine MS Paint stick figures with weird gradients, textures, color choices, and haphazard alignment of everything, and it's a shock to the senses.  Oh man, my senses.

But yeah, I have to try it anyhow since it's getting such overwhelmingly good word of mouth.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #2047 on: May 29, 2014, 05:36:07 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on May 29, 2014, 03:11:23 PM

Quote from: Lee on May 29, 2014, 02:17:10 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on May 29, 2014, 12:02:03 PM

Quote from: Lee on May 28, 2014, 10:45:16 PM

I ignore tons of games that I am told are great for whatever reason. The designer can't be bothered to polish and market his game, I can't be bothered to play it. I don't have enough time for all the games I have already.

And I played, and loved games like 100000, this game isn't even up to that level. It's hard to look at the screenshots and take it at all serious.

It would be easier to take you seriously if you had paid a college student $100 to write your post.

I did. I am a college student.

Point taken that my grammar sucks. Overall point missed, I am not trying to sell you anything, or particularly care if anyone agrees with me.

Mostly the point was to be funny.

I guess the additional point is that it sucks to have something you did dismissed because of something that's maybe not your strong suit.

Story of my life.  icon_cry icon_biggrin

Fair play to the developer, he had a good idea for a game which seems to be impressing many people. I just won't be one of them. From a marketing point of view, he is missing out on more sales by his decisions.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #2048 on: May 30, 2014, 06:47:11 PM »

Last quarter, Candy Crush made more money than all Nintendo games...combined.

I has a sad.

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #2049 on: May 30, 2014, 06:57:37 PM »

Reading the comments, Eli of TA seems to think its because kids like this model. I thought the only people who played Candy Crush, and could afford to put down that kind of money, are rich adults. The kids in my family won't pay money for any app, let alone an in app purchase.
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #2050 on: June 05, 2014, 12:05:16 PM »

Republique was free this morning on the App Store. I'm not sure what the normal cost is or was, or why it's free now.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2051 on: June 05, 2014, 12:23:02 PM »

Quote from: msteelers on June 05, 2014, 12:05:16 PM

Republique was free this morning on the App Store. I'm not sure what the normal cost is or was, or why it's free now.

The normal cost was, like, $5.  It's free because they're promoting the second episode.

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #2052 on: June 05, 2014, 01:54:26 PM »

I picked it up.  I probably won't even play it for for Free I can have it tied to my account and if I do decide to play it in 6 months I will have it.

Of course that is how 90% of my backlog was created but hey at least it is free!

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #2053 on: June 05, 2014, 02:05:14 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on June 05, 2014, 01:54:26 PM

I picked it up.  I probably won't even play it for for Free I can have it tied to my account and if I do decide to play it in 6 months I will have it.

Of course that is how 90% of my backlog was created but hey at least it is free!

I quit doing that just because I sync my iOS devices to a computer and after years of downloading free games just to try them out, it got a bit out of hand. I have become very selective about what I download. Really wish they would change that behavior, maybe in iTunes 12.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #2054 on: June 07, 2014, 04:31:55 PM »

TA makes Bubble Witch 2 game of the week, I comment on the article that the whole game of the week thing for a review site is fishy, and that they probably did sell it to King. Got banned. Never been banned from a site before, doesn't feel too bad.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #2055 on: June 07, 2014, 05:45:33 PM »

Quote from: Lee on June 07, 2014, 04:31:55 PM

TA makes Bubble Witch 2 game of the week, I comment on the article that the whole game of the week thing for a review site is fishy, and that they probably did sell it to King. Got banned. Never been banned from a site before, doesn't feel too bad.

I really respect review sites with good and plainly stated transparency policies.  Just state up front whether or not you got money to feature Bubble Witch.  Problem solved.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #2056 on: June 07, 2014, 06:18:33 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on June 07, 2014, 05:45:33 PM

Quote from: Lee on June 07, 2014, 04:31:55 PM

I really respect review sites with good and plainly stated transparency policies.  Just state up front whether or not you got money to feature Bubble Witch.  Problem solved.

Maybe they didn't sell it, but why put yourself into that position of doubt in the first place? If a game is good, give it a good review. The problem is this game they gave a 3.5 to, not bad by any means, but is that a game that stands out and is deserving of extra attention? Featuring is a marketing tool for sales, not something a review site should do in my opinion.

Can't say I am bothered by getting banned. I didn't name call or anything, but I was snarky about it. Still, it seems a bit over the top to me, but it's their site. Not a huge fan of TA anyway, but there aren't enough good iOS game sites out there. Pocket Tactics and 148apps are the only others I read. The former is a very good site, just limited.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #2057 on: June 07, 2014, 06:37:40 PM »

I don't know if it's TA or just my general lack of interest in iOS gaming right now, but I find myself going to that site less and less.  Their reviews are all over the map, and mostly serve as a personal "what not to buy" list (I.e. If they liked it, I'm pretty sure I won't). Hearing about this incident certainly doesn't paint them in a better light.

Everything in iOS gaming right now feels like a clone of a clone of a clone.  Outside of Threes (which I thoroughly enjoy), there's been very little that has grabbed my attention lately. 

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #2058 on: June 07, 2014, 06:45:56 PM »

Yeah, I think I'm trusting TA less and less as well, too.  (unrelated to this Bubble Witch thing)
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #2059 on: June 08, 2014, 01:51:25 AM »

The only mobile gaming site I trust these days is pockettactics.com. Unfortunately their focus is more on strategy games, but it's still a really good site and their reviews are generally tough.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2060 on: June 08, 2014, 03:29:12 PM »

I find I still trust 148Apps.  And, to a degree, Pocket Gamer, though they skew negative.

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #2061 on: June 12, 2014, 03:30:10 PM »

TaiChi Panda looks kind of cool.  I don't find the "diablo" clone market overdone yet so another one is fine.

Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #2062 on: June 12, 2014, 04:13:19 PM »

I've been playing a lot of Sky Force recently.  It's very polished.  Excellent graphics.  IAP is typical timers for upgrades, silly prices for upgrade components, etc.  I'm still able to enjoy the game without dropping any money.  With that said, like other freeware IAP games, I wish there was an option to just buy the app.  I'd like to reward the developers, but I'm not rewarding the IAP model.

https://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/sky-force-2014/id717233547?mt=8
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #2063 on: June 12, 2014, 04:33:08 PM »

It's an older title, but I just picked up Cook, Serve, Delicious! and I'm completely addicted to it.  The more freeform way you can progress through the game, choosing your own new foods, food upgrades, and equipment, is a welcome change compared to the super structured way most time management games have you advance.  If you've ever enjoyed a Sally's Spa type game, I highly recommend it.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2064 on: June 13, 2014, 03:46:02 AM »

Quote from: Roguetad on June 12, 2014, 04:13:19 PM

I've been playing a lot of Sky Force recently.  It's very polished.  Excellent graphics.  IAP is typical timers for upgrades, silly prices for upgrade components, etc.  I'm still able to enjoy the game without dropping any money.  With that said, like other freeware IAP games, I wish there was an option to just buy the app.  I'd like to reward the developers, but I'm not rewarding the IAP model.

https://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/sky-force-2014/id717233547?mt=8

Sky Force has been eating a lot of my time lately, too.  I keep coming back to it.

I've maxed out health and the weapon, but everything else is insanely priced.  Still, I expect I'll get to some of them as I can't seem to stop.

JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #2065 on: June 13, 2014, 02:01:07 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on June 12, 2014, 04:33:08 PM

It's an older title, but I just picked up Cook, Serve, Delicious! and I'm completely addicted to it.  The more freeform way you can progress through the game, choosing your own new foods, food upgrades, and equipment, is a welcome change compared to the super structured way most time management games have you advance.  If you've ever enjoyed a Sally's Spa type game, I highly recommend it.

Oh man, I sunk hours into that game. I think I got my restaurant up to five stars. It's been a while though, may have to fire that back up again.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #2066 on: June 13, 2014, 02:33:24 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on June 12, 2014, 04:33:08 PM

Damn you, now I have to go buy this.

msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #2067 on: June 13, 2014, 07:23:08 PM »

I've been toying with Sky Force, but I'm really not good at the game. That's probably what has prevented the game from getting its dirty hooks into me.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #2068 on: June 13, 2014, 08:41:22 PM »

Quote from: msteelers on June 13, 2014, 07:23:08 PM

I've been toying with Sky Force, but I'm really not good at the game. That's probably what has prevented the game from getting its dirty hooks into me.
It has an old school feel to it.  I think that's what keeps pulling me in.  It's not easy.  When I upgraded to Wing Cannons, and then Missiles, it got noticably easier.  I think we're meant to go back and replay earlier levels after upgrades to unlock more medals (and earn more stars).  I'm still impressed with the graphics.  It's one of the best looking games that I have on the iPad.   
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2069 on: June 13, 2014, 08:48:23 PM »

Quote from: Roguetad on June 13, 2014, 08:41:22 PM

Quote from: msteelers on June 13, 2014, 07:23:08 PM

It has an old school feel to it.  I think that's what keeps pulling me in.  It's not easy.  When I upgraded to Wing Cannons, and then Missiles, it got noticably easier.  I think we're meant to go back and replay earlier levels after upgrades to unlock more medals (and earn more stars).  I'm still impressed with the graphics.  It's one of the best looking games that I have on the iPad.   

I actually haven't even played anything but the first level!

The completionist in me wants to get all of those shiny trophies (for saving all the guys, shooting all the guys, not getting hit by the guys and something else guy-related) which increase multipliers.  I just got the shoot all the guys one, which leaves me with not getting hit and I've done them all, then level 2!

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #2070 on: June 13, 2014, 11:05:26 PM »

Qvadriga is out for $10 (see the PC game thread for lots of info). I really enjoyed it on PC and it should work well with touch controls. Hesitant to spend $10 on it currently though, any takers?
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #2071 on: June 14, 2014, 11:29:41 AM »

I'm thinking about it. It's a Slitherine/Matrix game so you can feel fairly confident about buying it and not finding that it's on sale for half price the next month.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #2072 on: June 20, 2014, 08:52:27 PM »

Why is Fish out of Water an editors choice? It's old and wasn't very good. Has it improved?
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #2073 on: June 23, 2014, 03:40:25 PM »

Civilization Revolution 2 announced

Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution 2 was revealed this morning... for iOS. Sneaky, sneaky, we know, but had we noted the platform in the headline you wouldn't have even read these elegant prose and jumped straight to the comments with rage.

Well, now that we do have your attention, the game will be playable on all relatively current iOS devices beginning July 2 (next week!). It is "coming soon" to Android devices, according to publisher 2K Games. No word yet on Windows phones, Ouyas or NGage.

"The game will combine the core tactical elements of the series with intuitive controls and a friendly user interface - designed specifically for mobile gamers on touch-pad devices," noted 2K Games.

The original Civilization Revolution for HD consoles tilted the strategy series on its side, retaining many of its core elements, but elegantly streamlining it for games that could be completed in a few hours. The game eventually made its way to mobile devices in a much less pretty package.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #2074 on: June 23, 2014, 04:00:07 PM »

I know it had its detractors, but I really liked CivRev 1 on the DS.  If this one isn't too ridiculously priced, I'll probably buy it day 1.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #2075 on: June 23, 2014, 04:07:46 PM »

I need to know the pricing system before I can even remotely get excited for this.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #2076 on: June 23, 2014, 04:13:02 PM »

Quote from: Lee on June 23, 2014, 04:07:46 PM

I need to know the pricing system before I can even remotely get excited for this.

The wording makes it sound like it'll be a single "premium price" purchase, but yeah, if I smell freemium or an aggressive in-app-purchase scheme, I'm not touching this with a 10 foot pikeman.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #2077 on: June 23, 2014, 05:06:55 PM »

I loved CivRev on consoles (side note:  it was the first game I ever reviewed for GT, back when I was on staff  icon_cool), but the iOS version was rather lackluster.  Still, I'll be very interested to see what they do with a follow-up.

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #2078 on: June 23, 2014, 08:51:19 PM »

I guess they added IAP for units in the first one, and that is a "premium" game at $10 (well $3 as of today). It's also not a Firaxis game. Don't have a good feeling about this one.

Edit: never mind it does have Firaxis symbol on its banner ad, but at a Pocket Tactics mentions, the press release doesn't mention Firaxis.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 08:57:04 PM by Lee » Logged
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #2079 on: June 23, 2014, 09:55:20 PM »

Playing just a little bit of Crash Dive, seems fun if not quite simmy enough for my tastes.
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: