http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 08:49:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 54   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: iPhone/iTouch app and game thread  (Read 103878 times)
farley2k
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #2000 on: March 26, 2014, 01:29:35 PM »

Did you try Arc Squadron?   I think it is a lot more like that than GoF2.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #2001 on: March 26, 2014, 01:53:01 PM »

4 more tables coming for Star Wars Pinball.  Yay!

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #2002 on: March 28, 2014, 09:46:48 PM »

Just picked this up last night:  Shattered Planet

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=218726

It's a sci-fi roguelike with pretty nice graphics, free to try.

Also Star Wars: Assault Team is decent if you like this sort of game where you collect team members and run through missions.  I have no idea what this kind of game is called.

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/apps/news/star-wars-assault-team-released-for-android-ios-and-windows-phone-501581
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #2003 on: March 29, 2014, 01:08:41 PM »

Barcode Kingdom is a different fun little game I got last night.  It reminds me a little of Monster Rancher from the PS1 conceptually, which  I absolutely adored..  Basically you scan barcodes that then generate little soldiers of varying classes and rarity.  You can also scan them for creating weapons/armor for them.  Then you travel around the map doing quest, building up your castle, gaining levels, etc.  It's only $99 but has some PTW elelments as every thing takes up action point that regenerate over time.   It's not super deep that I can tell so far and combat is auto resolved except for drinking potions but I spent all night running around scanning stuff.  Dial soap FTW!

http://toucharcade.com/2014/03/28/game-of-the-week-barcode-kingdom/

morlac00 on PSN
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2004 on: March 30, 2014, 04:27:12 AM »

Quote from: morlac on March 29, 2014, 01:08:41 PM

It's only $99 but has some PTW elelments as every thing takes up action point that regenerate over time.   

Wow, you must be one of those 'whales' I keep hearing about.  icon_lol

Anyway, Man at Arms TD that someone here recommended is free for a limited time.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #2005 on: March 30, 2014, 11:59:08 PM »

Quote from: Hrothgar on March 30, 2014, 04:27:12 AM

Quote from: morlac on March 29, 2014, 01:08:41 PM

It's only $99 but has some PTW elelments as every thing takes up action point that regenerate over time.   

Wow, you must be one of those 'whales' I keep hearing about.  icon_lol

Anyway, Man at Arms TD that someone here recommended is free for a limited time.

I haven't succumbed to paying yet smile.  It is a fun little distraction.

morlac00 on PSN
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #2006 on: March 31, 2014, 06:01:16 AM »

$99 is a steep price to pay.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #2007 on: March 31, 2014, 10:56:40 PM »

Quote from: Suitably Ironic Moniker on March 31, 2014, 06:01:16 AM

$99 is a steep price to pay.

Took three looks but I see what you two did there...

morlac00 on PSN
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #2008 on: April 03, 2014, 04:56:19 PM »

Monument Valley looks incredible.

http://youtu.be/oTkKXAmUU7k

Wow

msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #2009 on: April 05, 2014, 04:19:02 PM »

That does look fantastic. It might have to wait though until I can get some time in with FTL. I have heard way too much about that game, so it's at the top of my purchase list.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #2010 on: April 08, 2014, 01:03:19 AM »

Quote from: farley2k on April 03, 2014, 04:56:19 PM

Monument Valley looks incredible.

http://youtu.be/oTkKXAmUU7k

Wow

It's short, but awesome.  Well worth the ride.  The 'cube' level alone was such a joy to fiddle with and explore.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #2011 on: April 17, 2014, 09:14:22 PM »

Hitman GO...a weird looking board game.  Seems like the use the Hitman license is just to get attention because it is nothing like the Hitman games in terms of gameplay.  Still it is getting very good reviews.

http://www.appspy.com/review/8435/hitman-go  = 5

http://toucharcade.com/2014/04/17/hitman-go-review/  = 5

Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #2012 on: April 18, 2014, 01:41:56 AM »

I got Hitman Go, and it is fun. It is certainly different than the main series, but I think it fits.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #2013 on: April 18, 2014, 03:30:59 AM »

Horn is available for free right now.  It's certainly worth the download.

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #2014 on: April 20, 2014, 11:00:15 AM »

Agricola on sale for $1 today, usually $7.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #2015 on: April 21, 2014, 02:19:19 AM »

And they dropped the price to $3.99 the day before. Man I would be pissed if I had bought the game two days ago! smile
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #2016 on: April 23, 2014, 07:55:19 PM »

Another new release Wednesday:

http://toucharcade.com/2014/04/23/new-iphone-games-coming-tonight-11/

I'll probably pick up Wayward Souls and Horde of Heroes.  Seems like the former has a fairly big following, not sure about it myself.  I'm kind of tired of all the recent "retro" graphics games.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #2017 on: April 23, 2014, 09:10:35 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on April 23, 2014, 07:55:19 PM

I'll probably pick up Wayward Souls and Horde of Heroes.  Seems like the former has a fairly big following, not sure about it myself.  I'm kind of tired of all the recent "retro" graphics games.

Very tired of the retro graphics thing, and Wayward Souls doesn't look at all good to me, bad graphics or not. Everyone on TA seems to be excited about it as well. Plus TA is calling it a rogue-like, I still don't understand what makes something a rogue-like. It's an action RPG. Must be rogue-like because you aren't likely to beat it, it's for the adventure, not the ending?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 09:12:15 PM by Lee » Logged
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #2018 on: April 23, 2014, 11:13:50 PM »

Quote from: Lee on April 23, 2014, 09:10:35 PM

Quote from: rittchard on April 23, 2014, 07:55:19 PM

I'll probably pick up Wayward Souls and Horde of Heroes.  Seems like the former has a fairly big following, not sure about it myself.  I'm kind of tired of all the recent "retro" graphics games.

Very tired of the retro graphics thing, and Wayward Souls doesn't look at all good to me, bad graphics or not. Everyone on TA seems to be excited about it as well. Plus TA is calling it a rogue-like, I still don't understand what makes something a rogue-like. It's an action RPG. Must be rogue-like because you aren't likely to beat it, it's for the adventure, not the ending?

I don't know the details but from what I gathered, I think it's rogue-like in that it has random/procedurally generated maps and enemies, and you are very likely to suffer perma-death as you explore.  I think something (stats or items) carries over from one play-through to the next, or at least I hope so.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #2019 on: May 01, 2014, 01:35:25 PM »

Played half a dozen (or so) rounds of each of the new Star Wars pinball tables.  Initial rankings and thoughts:

1.  Han Solo.  A solid mix of ramp work, targets, and special events.  The target progressions for special events are laid out in a way that is challenging, but not impossible.  Always something cool to do.
2.  Episode 4:  A very solid table that is clearly laid out and easy to understand.  Tough though, especially since they decided to give this one the same "bouncy ball" physics as the ROTJ table.  This is probably the best actual table out of the four new ones, but the crazy ball physics take it down a notch.
3.  Droids:  A ramp-heavy table with a bazillion targets that are really tough to hit.  One of those tables that you spend a ton of time throwing the ball around the ramps feeling like you're making progress, when you really aren't.  Reminds me a lot of the Avengers table, which I wasn't crazy about either.
4.  Masters of the Force:  I just don't get this table.  I've read the table guide multiple times, but I just don't really get what I'm supposed to be doing.  The holocrons are damn near impossible to hit in the brief windows allowed, and the table layout feels very cramped and it's never very clear what you're supposed to be shooting for.  My opinion on this one may change as I figure it out.

hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #2020 on: May 05, 2014, 08:53:14 PM »

Hitman Go is my latest addiction.  They took the Hitman series and made it into a boardgame.  It's ingenious. 

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #2021 on: May 05, 2014, 08:59:24 PM »

Yeah I like Hitman Go quite a bit, I daresay more than the actual Hitman games.
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #2022 on: May 06, 2014, 12:49:52 PM »

Sounds like I have to give hitman go a shot. I was turned off by the boardgame aspect, but everyone seems to love it.

I just downloaded Monument Valley, and I'm loving it. The visual tricks they play are very impressive.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #2023 on: May 06, 2014, 01:06:37 PM »

Hitman Go is definitely from the puzzle school of boardgames.  If you don't enjoy that kind of thing, you'll hate it.  But if you like replaying things to see if a different tactic will improve the outcome, you'll love it.  It ramps up so don't be discouraged by the mind numbing simplicity of the first half dozen or so levels.  They're just tutorials to get you into the swing of things.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #2024 on: May 15, 2014, 06:26:46 PM »

A couple new games this week that I'm enjoying

Darkin - A straight up Dungeon Raid clone with a vampire theme.  A no-brainer for DR fans, or anyone who enjoys match-3.

Table Tennis Touch - A fantastic replication of real table tennis.  Control is great, and it looks and sounds awesome with fully rendered arenas and tables. 

msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #2025 on: May 19, 2014, 01:53:42 PM »

So Bardbarian is free. I thought it was a paid game before, so I don't know if this is a sale or permanent. Either way I downloaded it yesterday and enjoyed it, even if I'm terrible at the game.

I also downloaded hitman go. It's definitely a unique and challenging game. I've spent $5 in worse ways.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #2026 on: May 28, 2014, 03:18:38 PM »

Dragon Quest 8 hits iOS tonight.  Trying to decide if I want to jump into that time sink again or not.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #2027 on: May 28, 2014, 03:35:38 PM »

been playing a ton of Dream Quest, terrible graphics but the gameplay is so much fun I just don't care.

Should have an ipad today so I'll likely be trying out a bunch of stuff that wouldn't work well or at all on my phone.
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #2028 on: May 28, 2014, 04:29:31 PM »

Me too. The graphics are hilariously terri-bad. It's like 6 year old art quality, but man, the gameplay design is genius. the dev says he is willing to bring the graphics up to par at some point in a future update, but that would kind of kill some of the charm for me.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #2029 on: May 28, 2014, 04:34:33 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on May 28, 2014, 03:18:38 PM

Dragon Quest 8 hits iOS tonight.  Trying to decide if I want to jump into that time sink again or not.

"Price in NZ is $24.99 which should translate to $19.99 (Approx)."

I just can't decide.  It looks great and I loved the game on the PS2 but $20 is kind of steep considering my already huge iOS games backlog.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #2030 on: May 28, 2014, 05:02:44 PM »

Quote from: Jimmy the Fish on May 28, 2014, 04:29:31 PM

Me too. The graphics are hilariously terri-bad. It's like 6 year old art quality, but man, the gameplay design is genius. the dev says he is willing to bring the graphics up to par at some point in a future update, but that would kind of kill some of the charm for me.

there have already been people petitioning him that if he updates the graphics, have a toggle for bad/good graphics.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #2031 on: May 28, 2014, 08:28:17 PM »

I won't buy Dream Quest with those graphics (hell I wouldn't try it if it was free). I am not really a graphic snob, but there are too many decent looking games to choose from where the designers put the effort into it to make their game stand out. I won't buy all these crappy retro graphic games let alone a game with Dream Quest's art. He could have paid an art school student $100 with better results. When the market is that crowded, cheap games or not, they need to give me something to notice their game (in a positive way).
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #2032 on: May 28, 2014, 08:41:51 PM »

I hear what you're saying, but that still makes you a graphics snob fwiw.  He also tried to get people to do it and kept getting quoted ridiculous numbers which is why he went with what he did.  Now that it has visibility he has been getting more reasonable quotes.  He was mentioning people wanting $10k for the number of cards he has in the game.

Once people tell you the game is amazing, not playing because of graphics is silly.  Graphics aren't even important in a roguelike OR a card game, and it's just those meshed together. 
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #2033 on: May 28, 2014, 10:28:22 PM »

Honestly, I would not have bothered with Dream Quest without all the positive word of mouth on the gameplay.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #2034 on: May 28, 2014, 10:35:31 PM »

I'll admit that the graphics can be a put off and will keep many from playing, and I also probably never would have seen the game if I only went by screenshots.  My point was just that with a bunch of people saying how good the gameplay is, to STILL not play it because of graphics is a bit odd to me.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #2035 on: May 28, 2014, 10:45:16 PM »

I ignore tons of games that I am told are great for whatever reason. The designer can't be bothered to polish and market his game, I can't be bothered to play it. I don't have enough time for all the games I have already.

And I played, and loved games like 100000, this game isn't even up to that level. It's hard to look at the screenshots and take it at all serious.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 12:26:26 AM by Lee » Logged
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #2036 on: May 29, 2014, 12:02:03 PM »

Quote from: Lee on May 28, 2014, 10:45:16 PM

I ignore tons of games that I am told are great for whatever reason. The designer can't be bothered to polish and market his game, I can't be bothered to play it. I don't have enough time for all the games I have already.

And I played, and loved games like 100000, this game isn't even up to that level. It's hard to look at the screenshots and take it at all serious.

It would be easier to take you seriously if you had paid a college student $100 to write your post.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #2037 on: May 29, 2014, 01:18:39 PM »

I will write if for $100.  Heck I'll write anything for $100.  smile

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #2038 on: May 29, 2014, 02:17:10 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on May 29, 2014, 12:02:03 PM

It would be easier to take you seriously if you had paid a college student $100 to write your post.

I did. I am a college student.

Point taken that my grammar sucks. Overall point missed, I am not trying to sell you anything, or particularly care if anyone agrees with me.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 02:20:43 PM by Lee » Logged
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #2039 on: May 29, 2014, 03:11:23 PM »

Quote from: Lee on May 29, 2014, 02:17:10 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on May 29, 2014, 12:02:03 PM

I did. I am a college student.

Point taken that my grammar sucks. Overall point missed, I am not trying to sell you anything, or particularly care if anyone agrees with me.

Mostly the point was to be funny.

I guess the additional point is that it sucks to have something you did dismissed because of something that's maybe not your strong suit.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 54   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: