http://gamingtrend.com
December 22, 2014, 04:19:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 54   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: iPhone/iTouch app and game thread  (Read 112574 times)
Lee
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1960 on: March 03, 2014, 05:31:22 PM »

I watched the TouchArcade video for it, and it didn't look very interesting. Loved Infinite Space and FTL, but this doesn't look as interesting as either.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1961 on: March 04, 2014, 02:34:57 PM »

Been having lots of fun with Word Mage, which plays like a hyperactive RPG version of Bookworm.  It's a frantic blast.

Also tried Tengami, which might be the most stunningly beautiful iOS game I've ever played.  It really must be seen to be believed.  However, I got stuck on an obscure puzzle about midway through and haven't been able to get past it.  Should probably look up a solution so I can finish it up.

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #1962 on: March 04, 2014, 03:34:06 PM »

Out There mini review. (Heck this is just a conclusion - watch Youtube for a real review.)

After a dozen or so games I think I am done.  The game is great in many ways but it is lacking that "just one more try" feeling because I don't think there is a snowballs chance in hell of my getting home.  Some games ended very quickly - like first planet - when the interplanetary drive broke so I couldn't go planets.  Makes for a short game.  Some games lasted a bit longer with a few fun by the seat of my pants situations.  Finding just enough Iron to fix a necessary part etc.  But no game lasted more than 10 or so systems.   Something always breaks, some catastrophe always happens.   

Catastrophes are what the game is about.  I have played these kinds of games before, but OT seems to miss the balance.  There are two ways to go I think

1. no chance of success but fast gameplay and loading screens so you can keep trying, and a way to measure your score against your last one.  Kind of an endless runner thing.   OT doesn't do that very well.

2. a small chance of success if you take few risks and make good choices.  OT fails this mostly because there are no choices to make.  It is all random.  I can't pick a better star system to go to because (as far as I can tell) they are all about equal.  You don't get enough different minerals to really make interesting choices on what to build.  99% of the time I can build one item in a game if I am lucky.

All in all it feels like they wanted an endless runner type where you would fail all the time but get better each time (or try to)  but they missed that quick jump into a game feeling. 

Overall I would give this game a "B"  It is pretty and fun at first but I won't be going back again and again like I did with Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space.

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #1963 on: March 04, 2014, 07:48:20 PM »

Maybe I am missing something.  A couple of reviews I have read say things like "Every decision in Out There demands a careful risk/reward calculation."  I never feel that.  Usually I have one or two possible star systems I can go to.  That isn't much of a careful calculation.  Most of the time the choice appears to be quit or go to the next star system.  How is that a choice? 

Anyway lots of reviews say it is great so I must not be getting something.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1964 on: March 04, 2014, 08:00:25 PM »

For choosing your next star, I haven't played enough to figure it out but I assume different star types are more likely to have one type of planet or another.  If you want to find more alien species, maybe you aim for yellow dwarf stars, for instance.

But I think more of the risk/reward calculation they're referring to has to do with ship space and resource management.  Your hull is damaged you're low on iron, and also low on fuel.  Do you go to a gas giant first to get more fuel?  There's a risk of hull damage if you go there, but if you do repairs you won't have any iron stored in case your engine breaks.  You could go to the metal-rich planet first to try for more iron, but between landing, takeoff, and travel to the gas planet you don't have much fuel to spare for drilling.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #1965 on: March 04, 2014, 08:12:59 PM »

Yeah I guess a bit.  Perhaps I have never lived long enough to really notice much.   icon_confused

I tried a no stopping unless I needed something run.  I got to 16 star systems which is a record for me but I still died eventually, just a random you died scenario.  While I lasted longer in terms of numbers of systems it felt a bit less fun because I wasn't exploring to find neat stuff.  I was just stopping for gas and moving on.  In some ways that fits the story better I guess but it doesn't suit my style.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 08:24:44 PM by farley2k » Logged

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #1966 on: March 04, 2014, 08:28:18 PM »

On another note has anyone tried Avadon 2: The Corruption or Shadow Sun?  I am itching for an RPG and I have both these on my watch list.  Avadon just came out but I assume it is as good as other Spiderweb Software games.  However Shadow Sun looks better.

Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1967 on: March 04, 2014, 09:02:19 PM »

Well, I have Shadow Sun and I played the first Avadon (along with the Avernum and Geneforge series), and they are pretty different. SS is similar in some ways to the Ravensword games, as it is 3D, though it is party based in SS. The story is decent and I am enjoying the combat, but it is certainly not as deep or as non-linear as Avadon.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #1968 on: March 04, 2014, 09:20:26 PM »

Everyone has talked about the story in Avadon.  Perhaps I should give it a try.

Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #1969 on: March 05, 2014, 01:40:43 PM »

I just recently finished Avadon: The Black Fortress on my Kindle Fire HD. It was a good game but it was extremely linear. There was an illusion of choice but they really made no difference to the game, story, or quests available (except for the very last choice). There isn't even all that much choice in the skill tree since most skills require you to have equal levels of skills in other tracks (i.e. so you can't just build up one of the three tracks and ignore the other two possible tracks for your class). There was a lot of game there, though; I think it took me ~40 hours to beat it. But by the last 10 hours or so it had gotten fairly repetitive.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #1970 on: March 05, 2014, 09:40:03 PM »

I think I will force myself to finish a few of what I have before I buy either one.  When thinking about them I googled best RPGs on the ios and I kept seeing games I had already bought but never finished (ie Bastion, Bard's Tale, Oceanhorn, Sword and Sworcery, Shadowrun...)  I buy a lot when the itch hits but then never finish.

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #1971 on: March 06, 2014, 12:28:48 AM »

There are a bunch of new releases again this week.  One that totally caught me by surprise and might be of interest to old school RPG lovers is a remake of Darkstone.

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=221169

It's free with IAP so who knows what they did to it.

My favorite part of the description is:

8 Character Classes = 8 Gameplays

I don't know why but every time I read that it makes me giggle.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1972 on: March 06, 2014, 01:31:58 AM »

Let the Darkstone shiiiiiiiiiiiiiine...

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #1973 on: March 06, 2014, 02:57:16 AM »

Once I looked at the page I remember that game...and it was horrible.  Why can't they port the great RPGs of the age rather than the crappy ones?  Why can't I have Wizzardy 8? 

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1974 on: March 06, 2014, 03:49:52 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on March 06, 2014, 01:31:58 AM

Let the Darkstone shiiiiiiiiiiiiiine...

Oh come now. You forgot to link to the video. Tongue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ImTQuIpPOw
(end credit sequence thing)

And this game is a classic. A so-so classic at best, but still a classic. Apparently from reading the forum link they're basically porting some older PC games to the iPad, so we'll see what comes up in the future.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1975 on: March 06, 2014, 04:23:00 AM »

Ascension just got some big changes.  There's a new 'promo pack' for sale (those just have a handful of cards) but now the base game is free and the expansion card packs that have already been out are available in a $5 bundle.  The game is now ad-supported in a very strange way.  There are now big annoying full-screen ads, even if you've already made purchases before, but if you know to look in the options menu you can uncheck a box to turn all the ads off.  I read someone say you can disable ads even if you haven't spent any money.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1976 on: March 06, 2014, 04:37:21 AM »

Quote from: farley2k on March 06, 2014, 02:57:16 AM

Once I looked at the page I remember that game...and it was horrible.  Why can't they port the great RPGs of the age rather than the crappy ones?  Why can't I have Wizzardy 8? 

Horrible seems pretty strong.  I thought it was a fun (and somewhat flawed) Diablo clone.

Was going to post a link to the song, but was on my iPhone.  Glad Destructor picked up my slack.  smile

Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #1977 on: March 06, 2014, 03:08:52 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on March 06, 2014, 04:23:00 AM

Ascension just got some big changes.  There's a new 'promo pack' for sale (those just have a handful of cards) but now the base game is free and the expansion card packs that have already been out are available in a $5 bundle.  The game is now ad-supported in a very strange way.  There are now big annoying full-screen ads, even if you've already made purchases before, but if you know to look in the options menu you can uncheck a box to turn all the ads off.  I read someone say you can disable ads even if you haven't spent any money.

Great deal. I went ahead and bought the bundle. If anyone wants to play online, feel free to friend me. My username is ralph-wiggum.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1978 on: March 06, 2014, 03:34:11 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on March 06, 2014, 12:28:48 AM

There are a bunch of new releases again this week.  One that totally caught me by surprise and might be of interest to old school RPG lovers is a remake of Darkstone.

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=221169

It's free with IAP so who knows what they did to it.

My favorite part of the description is:

8 Character Classes = 8 Gameplays

I don't know why but every time I read that it makes me giggle.

Apparently this is only a soft launch in specific territories, not the US.   crybaby

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #1979 on: March 06, 2014, 03:52:42 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on March 06, 2014, 04:37:21 AM

Horrible seems pretty strong.  I thought it was a fun (and somewhat flawed) Diablo clone.

Perhaps.  I think Nox was a better clone though

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1980 on: March 06, 2014, 04:42:52 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on March 06, 2014, 03:52:42 PM

Quote from: Gratch on March 06, 2014, 04:37:21 AM

Perhaps.  I think Nox was a better clone though

Nox was fun too.  Been tempted to grab it from GOG a couple times...wonder how it holds up.

One of the things I remember about Darkstone was the trail of bloody footprints your characters would leave behind.  That seemed so damn cool back then.   icon_lol

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #1981 on: March 06, 2014, 05:55:23 PM »

Sorry about that - I found out about the soft launch last night as well.

Darkstone at its release IIRC was a pretty big deal.  Sure it had its flaws but it was the first Diablo clone to go with a full 3D-ish perspective.  And on top of that it had you running 2 characters at once...

- - -

To make up for my soft launch mishap, here's some good news:  Lionheart Tactics is finally available in the US.  The first few battles are tutorial-ish easy, so I can't tell exactly how the IAP affects the game yet.  I believe it still requires you to be online which was a big bone of contention for this type of game.  I do like the art style and the Tactics-clone-ish design.  Either way it's free to try so no harm done.
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #1982 on: March 06, 2014, 09:00:27 PM »

Been playing Faif for iOS.

You can play in Unity here. http://www.beavl.com/faif/

Very attractive Dungeon Raid style game with a gambling mechanic thrown in with the line matching.

Play Store / Itunes
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #1983 on: March 07, 2014, 02:44:47 PM »

Block Legend popped up on the app store today.

This is what it looks like:

That seemed very BTDT, so I didn't pay it much mind.

However, the folks at TouchArcade seem to be enjoying it.  And they got me to watch this trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChIZO2h36wI

Bought.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1984 on: March 07, 2014, 03:33:59 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on March 07, 2014, 02:44:47 PM

Block Legend popped up on the app store today.

This is what it looks like:

That seemed very BTDT, so I didn't pay it much mind.

However, the folks at TouchArcade seem to be enjoying it.  And they got me to watch this trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChIZO2h36wI

Bought.

I'm buying it just for that trailer (and because I'm a total sucker for match-3 variants with RPG elements)

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #1985 on: March 07, 2014, 07:44:34 PM »

Toucharcade's forums sound like there are issues with the iPad version, but iPhone version works fine.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1986 on: March 07, 2014, 08:23:39 PM »

Quote from: Lee on March 07, 2014, 07:44:34 PM

Toucharcade's forums sound like there are issues with the iPad version, but iPhone version works fine.

Mine seems to work fine. 

It's a decent game.  Wish there was more of a carryover from game to game though.  Starting over from level 1 every game feels a bit anticlimactic.

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #1987 on: March 08, 2014, 12:55:14 AM »

TouchArcade just gave it 5 stars with talk of it being a legendary game.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1988 on: March 08, 2014, 02:30:35 AM »

Quote from: Lee on March 08, 2014, 12:55:14 AM

saywhat  It's fun, but it's not that fun.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #1989 on: March 08, 2014, 06:41:34 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on March 08, 2014, 02:30:35 AM

Yeah, "Legenday" might be a little strong.  It is a blast to play, though.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #1990 on: March 10, 2014, 05:30:25 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on March 08, 2014, 06:41:34 AM

Quote from: Gratch on March 08, 2014, 02:30:35 AM

Yeah, "Legenday" might be a little strong.  It is a blast to play, though.

Very addictive - and yeah that trailer is awesome.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1991 on: March 12, 2014, 08:03:22 PM »

Full size here: http://o.aolcdn.com/hss/storage/adam/bd071fc849133f3b1bf8f0329771ba5b/THREES_stats_final.png

« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 08:06:43 PM by leo8877 » Logged
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #1992 on: March 13, 2014, 06:02:14 PM »

This game looks interesting.

This looks interesting. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKejPjWc8zM

Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1993 on: March 15, 2014, 01:49:39 AM »

I was trying to remember who Lightbox interactive was.  It turns out they were formerly Incognito who made Warhawk, War of the Monsters and Twisted Metal: Black.  As Lightbox, they made Starhawk.  Not a bad resume.  I'll keep an eye on Plundernauts.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #1994 on: March 15, 2014, 01:52:40 PM »

Table Pack #24 is out for iOS now. It features Williams Who Dunnit? as the new table and Taxi as the free table of the month.

Who Dunnit theme is a noir murder mystery. You play a detective that has to solve five murder cases. You collect evidence, interview the suspects, and choose who you think the killer is. When you choose the right suspect you then have to catch them in a chase. Its nowhere as complicated as it seems as you can just guess the killer without collecting all the evidence or completing the interviews. But its still a very fun casual table. There's an elevator at the center of the table where you can go up/down the various floors by having the ball go down the left/right ramps in the center of the table. Or you can get off on a floor and explore it by going down the center ramp - usually you just find evidence. There's also two casino games on the table. Slots, which offer various types of bonuses if you complete a match, and Roulette. Roulette is a way to increase your score pretty quickly. I've been able to increase my score by 1.5 billion by betting on the roulette wheel. The problem is if you lose the bet those points are subtracted from your score. So its a real gamble if you want to bet your own points. But this is a pretty high scoring table as is. And there are the usual multiball modes. Finally should mention the music is very good. It plays a version of the Peter Gunn theme while playing, and has a nicely themed piano melody while in attract mode. Overall its a very high quality table.

It looks like next months new table will be the original High Speed which should make people happy. Hopefully they can get High Speed 2 at some point too.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #1995 on: March 18, 2014, 01:42:18 PM »

This game looks like a lot of fun. 

http://youtu.be/Df136YjATtI

But it isn't coming out until the middle of the year. 

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #1996 on: March 20, 2014, 07:32:01 PM »

Just picked up Star Horizon last night; pretty cool space shooter with a 3rd person spaceship (not sure if that's how it should be described) perspective.   Graphics are fantastic and gameplay is really smooth on the iPad.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1997 on: March 20, 2014, 07:59:05 PM »

Have you played Galaxy of Fire 2? If so, how does it compare to that one in terms of number of star systems, game mechanics, ship customization and depth of trading?

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #1998 on: March 21, 2014, 06:26:35 PM »

Quote from: Suitably Ironic Moniker on March 20, 2014, 07:59:05 PM

Have you played Galaxy of Fire 2? If so, how does it compare to that one in terms of number of star systems, game mechanics, ship customization and depth of trading?

I didn't realize I actually do have GoF2 but I never played it much.  From what I can tell thus far, Star Citizen is a very different game in spite of a similar perspective, it's much more action oriented (and maybe "story"/mission oriented).  You don't fly around free form in an open universe, etc.  You can dodge and move around but you are pretty much locked into a flight path during combat.  So in other words it's a much simpler game. 
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1999 on: March 21, 2014, 11:21:41 PM »

Ah, in that case, I shall pass. Thanks.

Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 54   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: