http://gamingtrend.com
July 30, 2014, 01:11:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 53   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: iPhone/iTouch app and game thread  (Read 101055 times)
Gratch and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.
wonderpug
Gaming Trend Senior Member

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1800 on: March 07, 2013, 05:37:32 PM »

Is Dungeon Plunder a turn-based "I move, enemies move" roguelike?  Hard to tell from the screenshots and description.

The developer gets big points in my book for adding a "Full IAP Disclosure" statement in the description, specifically calling out that there are no money/gem IAP schemes.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1801 on: March 07, 2013, 06:42:43 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on March 07, 2013, 05:37:32 PM

Is Dungeon Plunder a turn-based "I move, enemies move" roguelike?  Hard to tell from the screenshots and description.

Not at all.  You wander an overworld with static enemies.  Engaging one of them starts a battle system with revolves (no pun intended) around a slot machine mechanic, similar to King Cashing.  There's nothing really rogue-like about it.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1802 on: March 07, 2013, 11:25:45 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on March 07, 2013, 06:42:43 PM

Not at all.  You wander an overworld with static enemies.  Engaging one of them starts a battle system with revolves (no pun intended) around a slot machine mechanic, similar to King Cashing.  There's nothing really rogue-like about it.

It feels very much like a rogue-like to me, just with combat being slot machine driven.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1803 on: March 07, 2013, 11:51:08 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on March 07, 2013, 11:25:45 PM

Quote from: Gratch on March 07, 2013, 06:42:43 PM

It feels very much like a rogue-like to me, just with combat being slot machine driven.

I've never played a rogue-like where enemies didn't move.

Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #1804 on: March 08, 2013, 02:00:19 AM »

Dojo Danger is a blat.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=CVC9NFI3_io&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DCVC9NFI3_io
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #1805 on: March 08, 2013, 03:31:33 AM »

Blast
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #1806 on: March 08, 2013, 08:48:20 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on March 07, 2013, 11:51:08 PM

I've never played a rogue-like where enemies didn't move.

Me neither. It really doesn't seem like one at all, yet it feels like it while playing. If the monsters were more distinct (which the dev has already indicated an interest in doing) and there were more loot diversity, that would contribute to the feeling even more.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
WorkingMike
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1807 on: March 11, 2013, 07:13:07 PM »

I can't get over how good Procreate is. It has become, in a few short days, my most used app. Anyone with a hankering for art should check it out.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #1808 on: March 11, 2013, 08:57:36 PM »

Be sure to check out I, Gladiator which is temporarily free.

I wasn't expecting much.  It's another swipe to slash, hold to block game, but there's actually a story (which I didn't anticipate at all) and the production values are top notch.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1809 on: March 14, 2013, 02:43:51 PM »

Ridiculous Fishing is ridiculously awesome. 

Seriously, go buy this.

Now.

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: March 14, 2013, 03:15:55 PM »

Little Inferno and Mechwarrior: Tactical Command are both a dollar.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1811 on: March 14, 2013, 03:25:50 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on March 14, 2013, 02:43:51 PM

Ridiculous Fishing is ridiculously awesome. 

Seriously, go buy this.

Now.

I thought that Ridiculous Fishing was a ripoff of Ninja Fishing, but from poking around it seems it's the other way around.  Ninja Fishing ripped off the predecessor to Ridiculous Fishing, Radical Fishing.  I have never said the word fishing so many times in one sentence.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1812 on: March 14, 2013, 03:43:58 PM »

People are raving about this game being so awesome over at TA, but I completely don't get it.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1813 on: March 14, 2013, 04:05:44 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on March 14, 2013, 03:43:58 PM

People are raving about this game being so awesome over at TA, but I completely don't get it.

Three stages:

1) Tilt your phone to steer the lure on the way down into the water.  You're trying to avoid everything so you can get as deep into the water as you can.

2) Once you snag something, you're now trying to snag as much as you can on the way up, and the most high value fish you can get.

3) When you get back to the surface, all the fish you snagged then get launched into the air.  I guess you touch them to shoot them with a shotgun?  This is where it more drastically departs from Ninja Fishing.  In Ninja Fishing it just turns into Fruit Ninja at this point.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1814 on: March 14, 2013, 04:06:54 PM »

Sorry, I understand the mechanics of it, I just don't see why everyone likes it so much.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1815 on: March 15, 2013, 12:39:35 AM »

cause it's awesome, that's why!  I prefer ninja fishing's art and production level though.

I find it interesting because on the way down your mind gets used to avoiding stuff, then has to quickly switch to not avoiding stuff.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #1816 on: March 16, 2013, 12:19:09 AM »

Pinball Arcade released its next pinball pack for $4.99. It contains Cactus Canyon (video) and Central Park.

Cactus Canyon is basically like Blazing Saddles the pinball game - a humorous take on westerns. It has an interesting history. This was the last dot matrix display game Bally/Williams created. This was during the downswing of pinball games in arcades and Bally was invested in the Pinball 2000 games, that had monitors instead of DMDs and the hologram type effects, to try and turn things around (didn't work). In fact the team building this table was disbanded before it was 100% complete. So it's missing a bit of polish, like there's no fun free game match video or sound and it looks like the Bionic Bart mode never got completed, but its fully playable. It's also a rare table with only 900 units shipping. I played a bunch of it on Visual Pinball and its a lot of fun. After trying this version I won't be going back to the VP one. biggrin

Central Park is another electro magnetic table, similar to Top Shot and Genie. This one is a drain monster though. There's double drains on either side of the flippers and the flippers are pretty far apart making drains easy down the middle. It looks like you really need to nudge a lot to keep the ball in play and nudging on the iOS just isn't that great. So not sure how much I'll play this one.

Some additonal improvements with this release including the "update all tables" button which will just automatically update the tables to the latest version. Before each release you had to go through the tables one by one to update them.

Sounds like Pinball Aracde will be making it to Steam at some point. A long time coming -  but of course that just means now I'm going to have to buy the tables twice now. Ugh.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #1817 on: March 16, 2013, 12:26:18 AM »

If it makes it to Steam, I will definitely be making purchases.  Playing on the phone hurts my hands and eyes after a while.  Probably cheaper to buy them again on Steam than buy an iPad.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #1818 on: March 16, 2013, 03:03:29 AM »

Quote from: Crawley on March 16, 2013, 12:19:09 AM

Central Park is another electro magnetic table, similar to Top Shot and Genie. This one is a drain monster though. There's double drains on either side of the flippers and the flippers are pretty far apart making drains easy down the middle. It looks like you really need to nudge a lot to keep the ball in play and nudging on the iOS just isn't that great. So not sure how much I'll play this one.

Ok Central Park is actually pretty cool. You actually don't need to nudge much at all to have a good game. There's two phases to this table.

1) Advance the yellow and green target values so they're both set to Special.

2) Enjoy the hell out of the table racking up tons of free balls and points

Basically once you get the specials lit, and they stay lit, you can earn free balls pretty easily. I'm actually not sure what shots earn them but I was basically earning a free ball by the time I would lose a ball - which was frequently. It actually made the table fun as hell.

So it's worth sticking with till you pass phase 1 to open up the table.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1819 on: April 08, 2013, 02:30:40 PM »

If you've been enjoying the retro RPG vibe of Nimble Quest, be sure to check out Slayin'.  A pretty damn awesome little game.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1820 on: April 08, 2013, 07:17:33 PM »

War of Eclipse by the Tower of Fortune people is simple fun
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #1821 on: April 08, 2013, 08:42:03 PM »

I'm really enjoying Pixel Kingdom.  I thought the retro graphics might be too much but they actually work out quite well.  This is one of those lane defending games (is there a genre name for this?) along the lines of Plants vs Zombies.  What sets it apart are the RPG elements and the kind of endless leveling mechanic.  You have access to 8 different unit types (which you can choose to level up and provide single gear boosts to) at a time from a selection of about 15ish or so.  Unlocking a new class requires gold, which you earn through playing the game.  Leveling a class up requires gems which are given every once in a while.  The game starts free to of course gold and gems are IAP.  This is one of those games that the IAP actually is kind of a detriment to the game design in the sense that the "fun" of the game is iherently in the grinding/leveling aspect.  I would love to support the developers, but prefer the game elements be left as is and then have IAP to unlock different skins or graphics or something else.  Aside from that, it's freakishly addictive in its deceptive simplicity; it's fun to see how the classes work in combination with each other.  I haven't unlocked any of the more expensive classes yet but I look forward to seeing how they mix with the classes I use the most.  Thus far I've been very successful using the Monk as a tank, Dragoon as quick fodder, Mage as primary damage and the Cleric for occasional healing. 
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1822 on: April 09, 2013, 02:49:34 PM »

is that ios in general, or ipad only?  don't see it
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1823 on: April 09, 2013, 03:23:57 PM »

found it, had to get on pc then sync.  not in ios app store on phone.

I HATE games that dont' let you turn off music.  Was suffering through the intro thinking at least I'll be able to turn it off afterwards. 
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #1824 on: April 12, 2013, 11:53:49 PM »

Dungeon Hunter 4 just came out.  Gameplay is solid but it's yet another "free" game filled with IAP insanity which I think may be a turnoff to most.

For turn-based lovers, I'm really enjoying Kingturn, which also just released.  It's kind of like a low budget Fire Emblem (no cutscenes, etc), but that's very close to what I've been craving on the iPhone/iPad.  OH, and you can turn the music off lol!
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1825 on: April 13, 2013, 04:21:32 AM »

Dude, Kingturn is HARD. I'm playing on the default difficulty and the first optional mission in the cave is kicking my ass. Needless to say, everyone remotely interested in Fire Emblem-ish TBS should get this immediately.

DH4 is gorgeous. I wish they'd make a non-IAP-based game that looked like that.

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #1826 on: April 14, 2013, 10:49:29 PM »

Yeah I highly recommend Kingturn to anyone who likes these type of fantasy TBS games.  It may seem a little stripped down at first relative to Fire Emblem, but in some ways I think it's an even better game.  And yes, as Misguided said, even the "casual" difficulty can be challenging.  

While there's a loose story going on to thread the scenarios, it's really just about playing each map, leveling/equipping your party members, choosing which to deploy (when you can), and beating a pretty tough AI.  You can tell there's some influence from Game of Thrones, so it's possible the "plot" will become more interesting as it goes further, but really it doesn't matter that much.  The gameplay is the thing here.  

What sets it apart strategically from FE is that instead of set scripted kind of scenarios, the way the battles play out is almost strictly about your gameplay and strategic choices.  In FE, re-enforcements can be triggered by the scripting or moving to a spot or killing someone etc. - sometimes winning a scenario boils down to memorizing when things are going to happen and not trigger them until you are ready.   In this game, every map has a number of "tents" which are essentially spawn/heal camps.  You are limited in how many active numbers you can use at a time (like FE), but unlike FE, if one goes down, as long as you control the tent and there are resources available, you can bring in someone else up to the fixed maximum.  If you can capture an enemy tent, you get a +1 to how many units you can use, so it's absolutely a huge deal to defend your own tent while taking others.  Sometimes it comes down to a war of attrition; the AI system is based on a percentage as to whether or not they can get another unit.  As I understand it, the more you kill a unit, the less percent chance it has of coming back, but often enough it feels like they have unlimited resources.  

In some ways it can become a big game of cat and mouse, feint and counter-feint.  Unlike most TBS games, there are times when it's better to NOT kill off an enemy so that they can't spawn out a new character to protect a tent you are going after (they are also limited in their overall numbers).  Sometimes you have to "fake" going for a tent, see if/how the AI reacts, and then either pull back or push forward depending on what it does.  The AI is really pretty amazing at times, it seems to know what I'm doing and counter it effectively.  Maybe sometimes it's my imagination but it even seems to do things like deliberately sacrifice units so that it can bring out another one to defend.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 10:51:18 PM by rittchard » Logged
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1827 on: April 15, 2013, 12:10:01 AM »

By the way, according to the Dev, the optional missions are sometimes harder than the main missions, similar to Clash of Heroes.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1828 on: April 15, 2013, 03:44:42 PM »

I'm enjoying:

War of Eclipse (hard to describe, it's by the tower of fortune guys, which also have Gargoyle Ruins coming out in a couple days)
Rivals at War for mindless fun
Puzzle N Dragons
Pixel Kingdom
Hero Mages (turn based tactical with card based magic)

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #1829 on: April 15, 2013, 05:36:40 PM »

It looks like Star Command might really be coming out soon, I think it's in approval...  might be worth it's own thread, we'll see.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1830 on: April 16, 2013, 12:35:25 PM »

In case anybody is curious, the iOS port of Final Fantasy V is fantastic.  This was the one entry in the series that I'd never played...had to give it a shot.  smile

Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #1831 on: April 20, 2013, 12:42:17 AM »

Pinball Arcades April tables are out. It's a great mix. Whitewater (1993) and Space Shuttle (1984). Whitewater will likely get the most buzz as it's one of the more popular pinball tables. It has  a pretty neat left ramp where the ball goes up and down then loops around the flipper, a whirlpool, and a Bigfoot. The theme is a humorous white water rafting adventure. Space Shuttle has been in the Williams Collection before but is still loads of fun with really fast gameplay. The table makes it feel like your working towards a multitball that will award you tons of points. If you really want to see how to play Space Shuttle take a peak at this Space Shuttle Video  - I never even knew you could trap multiple balls on the flipper like this. I've been trying to master that on other tables since I watched that video last week with some limited success.

Pinball Arcade also got Greenlit for Steam. They're saying late April or early May for it to appear on there. Not sure what tables are going to be made available off the bat but it won't be all of them. The PC team wasn't working on tables while the Greenlight process delayed the release - understandable.

If you're interested in more real pinball tables I'll also reccomend another app, Zaccaria Pinball. Zaccaria was a popular pinball maker in Italy in the 80's. Most of the tables never made it too far out of Europe so for me they were almost all unfamiliar (I did happen to play Time Machine at the Midwest Gaming Classic). But they are high quality tables for the time but a bit more basic than what you would see from Williams, Bally and Stern during this time. The tables do have a neat feature to them where during the 3rd ball you can build up this bonus time which will count down during a 4th ball which you can use to boost your score. Pretty neat.

They plan on releaseing something like 29 tables for the app and have 4 out currently. The best of the bunch right now is Pinball Champ - which unfortunatly is having some lag issues on it (even on a iPad 3/4). But the other tables are pretty decent too. There's also a night mode you can purchase for the tables. This is a must as the tables look fantastic when the lights are turned off. Their last update added some pretty decent physics to the ball movement. While isn't quite good as Pinball Arcade at the moment it is still pretty decent. One thing their physics does have over PA is they managed to do ball spin!

The developer seems commited to improving the App so I sprung for their Gold pack ($35) which nets everything including all tables they will release. There is a Silver pack for a bit less that nets all 29 tables (as they are released) and a Bronze pack for a lot less which just includes things like the night mode, different balls, and fippers (last two are not worth it). You can also just buy things piecemeal. They're worth checking out if you want more pinball.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1832 on: April 20, 2013, 01:00:20 AM »

Neither of the new tables are showing up for me.  Strange.

I've been playing a ton of Zen Pinball over the last month (mainly the Epic Quest table).  I'm not a big Marvel fan, but their tables are all pretty fun and unique.  I'm finally starting to figure out the Bobs Fett table, which has baffled me for since release.

Switched back to Pinball Arcade today for a change of pace and was amazed at the difference in ball physics.  It was quite difficult to make the switch back.  Oddly, I beat my previous high score on two tables:  by 20 million on Monster Bash and nearly double (80mil) on Medieval Madness.  I had the final castle down to only one more hit on the gate to open it when I center drained.   crybaby

Guess it was just a good pinball day.   smile
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 02:05:20 AM by Gratch » Logged

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #1833 on: April 20, 2013, 01:20:31 AM »

I'm updating the PA app on the phone now. 

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1834 on: April 20, 2013, 01:32:45 AM »

I'm an idiot...totally forgot about updating the app.   icon_redface

EDIT:  I must have played Bride of Pin-Bot a hundred times, and tonight is the first time I've ever hit the billion point shot.  That makes 3 for 3 on huge high score jumps tonight.   icon_cool
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 02:04:35 AM by Gratch » Logged

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #1835 on: April 20, 2013, 02:04:07 AM »

biggrin Derp.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1836 on: April 26, 2013, 01:56:22 PM »

Robot Unicorn Attack 2 is awesome.  Fabulous, some might say. 

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #1837 on: April 26, 2013, 02:29:34 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on April 26, 2013, 01:56:22 PM

Robot Unicorn Attack 2 is awesome.  Fabulous, some might say. 

Second that emotion.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1838 on: April 26, 2013, 04:36:32 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on April 26, 2013, 02:29:34 PM

Quote from: Gratch on April 26, 2013, 01:56:22 PM

Robot Unicorn Attack 2 is awesome.  Fabulous, some might say.  

Second that emotion.

Always.

Actually, I haven't played it...liking Talisman Prologue, though.

morlac

View Profile
« Reply #1839 on: May 02, 2013, 06:45:58 PM »

Leviathan:Warships, turn based naval combat.  Not sure if it's any good but the trailer is grooovyy.  I lol a few times., great trailer.
http://www.slidetoplay.com/news/big-game-night-star-command-leviathan-warships-and-more/#more-657986

morlac00 on PSN
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 53   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: