http://gamingtrend.com
August 31, 2014, 04:39:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 53   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: iPhone/iTouch app and game thread  (Read 103358 times)
Crawley
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1720 on: January 19, 2013, 01:01:55 AM »

Another two tables are out for Pinball Arcade - Attack from Mars and Genie. Attack From Mars is basically Medieval Madness with the quirky Mars Attacks type theme. It's really good and worth getting. Genie is another EM table, like Big Shot, so no LCD screens or digital music or anything like that. Just pure pinball. But this one is way more complicated than Big Shot. There's a lot to do on the table and it pretty fun as well. I'll probably play Attack From Mars than Genie but its really nice to have these EM tables to play too.

Rumor is that Stern got a slight uptick in sales of their tables because of Pinball Arcade and have sent over their Rollercoaster Tycoon and Tales from the Crypt tables to be done.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: January 19, 2013, 01:28:41 AM »

Attack from Mars was at the local gamer watering hole.  I set one of the top scores and one of the minigame records in my evenings there.  Fond memories. 

Too bad I have an aversion to trying to play on my phone. 

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: January 19, 2013, 03:49:35 AM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on January 18, 2013, 11:46:05 PM

If only...

Track the newest iPhone and iPod Touch apps, updates and price changes here at AppShopper.

Download our Free iPhone and iPad App!

Good enough, thank you!
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: January 19, 2013, 03:41:37 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on January 15, 2013, 03:13:16 AM

If you have any work to get done in the next week or so, do not download Dungelot.
If you an imagine a casual rogue-like, dungeon raid, and minesweeper all tossed into a blender, this is it.
Turn-based on a grid. You tap squares to reveal monsters, chests, traps, etc.
There is no goal, it is a high score game. There are multiple classes w/ skills to upgrade.
Very, very, fun. Do NOT download!

This just dropped in price to $.99. Curses!
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: January 21, 2013, 10:00:12 PM »

Temple Run 2 has been downloaded 20 million times in less than a week.

Dayum.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #1725 on: January 22, 2013, 01:40:34 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on January 21, 2013, 10:00:12 PM

Dayum.
That's crazy.  Someone's rich.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1726 on: January 22, 2013, 01:53:38 AM »

False alarm. Sorry. That was me. Damn Wifi kept bugging out at the 99% mark.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #1727 on: January 22, 2013, 02:38:34 AM »

Quote from: Roguetad on January 22, 2013, 01:40:34 AM

Quote from: Gratch on January 21, 2013, 10:00:12 PM

Dayum.
That's crazy.  Someone's rich.

How do you figure? You think that many are buying IAP? Are there ads?

Ruining language with my terrible words.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1728 on: January 22, 2013, 03:00:23 AM »

Conversion rate is usually something like 1-5%, and for Temple Run 1 it was 1%.

So if we stay conservative and say that 1% is spending a buck each, that's $200k for the opening 4 days.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1729 on: January 22, 2013, 03:10:13 AM »

And they would get 70% of that, yes? I didn't figure conversion was that high, but yeah, that would be pretty rockin'

Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1730 on: January 23, 2013, 01:49:51 AM »

I am so tempted to get this game, SilverSword. The few reviews it has are good and I like the screenshots, but it is obviously a one man operation and it's $5, so I'm hesitant. If it were only $2, I'd take the chance.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1731 on: January 23, 2013, 05:07:17 AM »

Quote from: Suitably Ironic Moniker on January 23, 2013, 01:49:51 AM

I am so tempted to get this game, SilverSword. The few reviews it has are good and I like the screenshots, but it is obviously a one man operation and it's $5, so I'm hesitant. If it were only $2, I'd take the chance.

Well, I know this much (as I have this game on watch for a possible price drop) - it does get updated quite often. Shows that there's continual development on it at least.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #1732 on: January 23, 2013, 01:36:02 PM »

I've been interested in Silversword as well. Unfortunately, at least on review states that you really need an iPad for this game; the smaller screen on the iPhone makes it too frustrating.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1733 on: January 23, 2013, 02:28:56 PM »

Looks like Might & Magic:  Clash of Heroes will be hitting iOS tonight.  I wasn't crazy about this on DS, but might need to give it another look on iPad

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1734 on: January 23, 2013, 03:56:37 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on January 23, 2013, 02:28:56 PM

Looks like Might & Magic:  Clash of Heroes will be hitting iOS tonight.  I wasn't crazy about this on DS, but might need to give it another look on iPad

Can't wait to play it again. Any particular reason you didn't care for it, Gratch?

Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1735 on: January 23, 2013, 04:06:34 PM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on January 23, 2013, 01:36:02 PM

I've been interested in Silversword as well. Unfortunately, at least on review states that you really need an iPad for this game; the smaller screen on the iPhone makes it too frustrating.

I'm rocking the iPad, so that isn't an issue. If I take the plunge, I'll post a review in here.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #1736 on: January 25, 2013, 02:06:29 PM »

This is your luck day - Silver Sword has dropped to $1.99! For that price, I might even check it out on the iPod despite the small screen size.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1737 on: January 25, 2013, 03:03:37 PM »

Yeah, I bought it two days ago before the price drop. Sumbitch.

Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #1738 on: January 25, 2013, 03:05:47 PM »

I got it this morning and played around with it a bit. It seems like there could be a pretty decently deep and interesting game there, but so far it hasn't been so promising: playing on my iPod 5 the game has already crashed twice and given me low memory warning. This all in about 10 minutes of game time.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1739 on: January 25, 2013, 03:16:35 PM »

Playing on the latest iPad, I haven't experienced those issues (yet). I'm looking forward to giving it a real go after I finally finish up Aralon.

Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #1740 on: January 26, 2013, 03:31:15 PM »

I seemed to have fixed the crashing problem (knock on wood!) by making sure to close down all my other apps and turning off the wireless. It must have been a memory problem with the iPods.

I've played about 2 hours so far and it's been pretty enjoyable. I'm still a bit confused about some of the classes that I didn't see as options during character creation (sorcerer for one) and whether that means that certain classes can eventually morph into those upper level classes. There also seems to be a lack of skills for certain classes. For instance, when my warrior levels up he only gains HP and sometimes a stat increase. I guess that means that many classes (warriors, rogues, hunters, monk, as far as I've seen), don't have any class specific skills other than certain weapons/armor they can use.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #1741 on: January 26, 2013, 03:37:29 PM »

For those playing Pinball Arcade there's a free Tournament going on right now till the 2/3. The top 100 finishers get the special Kickstarter balls for the Star Trek and Twilight Zone tables - I think you had to Kickstart at least $100 to get those. The top 200 finishers get a special Tournament ball.

There are 8 tables to play and you attempt to get the highest scores you can manage on each of the tables. Based on those combined scores they give you a rank. You can play the tables as many times as you want, up until 2/3, to try and improve your high scores.

It's pretty fun as I find I'm playing differently on a few of the tables just to maximize my score. After doing a single round of tables I was ranking in the 500's somewhere. Then I worked on improving all my table scores. After a few good games on some of the tables I got as high as 95 last night. This morning I'm back down to 115. Still have plenty of room for improving scores on many of the tables - including Gorgar which is driving me crazy as I can't seem to get anything going on that table.

The 8 tables you need to own are:

Star Trek: Next Generation
Twilight Zone
Gorgar
Genie
Funhouse
Elvira and the Party Monsters
Medieval Madness
Creature from the Black Lagoon
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #1742 on: January 26, 2013, 05:55:06 PM »

I don't want my balls kickstarted!  crybaby

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1743 on: January 28, 2013, 12:06:32 AM »

Dungelot is a damned good game and free for the moment. Casual roguelike.

Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #1744 on: January 28, 2013, 01:33:03 AM »

Quote from: Misguided on January 28, 2013, 12:06:32 AM

How is it that as soon as I buy a game it either drops in price (Dungelot) or becomes free (Dungelot again)??

mad
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1745 on: January 28, 2013, 05:43:16 AM »

Is 2 bucks really worth getting your blood pressure up about?

Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #1746 on: January 28, 2013, 01:59:17 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on January 28, 2013, 05:43:16 AM

Is 2 bucks really worth getting your blood pressure up about?

Yes!  mad

icon_wink
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #1747 on: January 28, 2013, 04:55:05 PM »

I've been enjoying Orc: Vengeance on my iPad Mini.  It's an action rpg from the perspective of an orc.  There's not much story to it, but it's fun killing stuff.  It makes me nostalgic for my WoW orc warrior.  They did a nice job with the combat and loot.  Even though there is an option to purchase gold, I've never felt the need to do so.  I have some really nice gear that came from drops.  

A word of warning though: If you find yourself in a location where the enemies are suddenly 1 shotting you, it's probably one of the optional areas.  I learned that the hard way after kiting and attacking my way through one such area in Act 1.  I leveled up 5 times I think during that painful experience, but got some great loot in the process.  Once I figured out it was optional (it spits you out right at the entrance) I found the main story path and proceeded to kick ass again.

There are some decent skills, similar to the barbarian in D2&3.  Right now I have an elemental ground stomp equipped, and a charge that sets things on fire.  You have 4 skill/item slots that can be unlocked.  You can load up all 4 slots with skills, or put potions in some, or mix it up.  I have 2 skills and 2 potions equipped.  It's mostly mindless fun...as a big green orc warchief.    

Updated:  The optional areas are easy to spot.  They have a yellow door glow rather than the white glow.  They don't advance the story and are purely optional.   
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 04:34:44 PM by Roguetad » Logged
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1748 on: January 29, 2013, 02:24:46 PM »

I'm glad folks are enjoying it, but Dungelot is completely lost on me.  It feels like nothing more than a game of whack-a-mole with very little strategy involved.  Maybe I'm just missing something...

Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #1749 on: January 29, 2013, 02:43:12 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on January 29, 2013, 02:24:46 PM

I'm glad folks are enjoying it, but Dungelot is completely lost on me.  It feels like nothing more than a game of whack-a-mole with very little strategy involved.  Maybe I'm just missing something...

I enjoyed it for a bit, but it lost its luster pretty quickly. Still $2 for a few hours of fun isn't a bad deal.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1750 on: January 29, 2013, 04:37:50 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on January 29, 2013, 02:24:46 PM

Sure, you can play it like that, but you won't get all that far. People have accused the game of having no meaningful decisions but I disagree. There are just lots of very small decisions. Sure, you have to explore a level until you find the key, and there's a lot of luck involved there, but every time you find a key, you have to decide whether to continue exploring that level or proceed downward. There are tradeoffs to everything you do in terms of health. What spells are you holding on to? When do you use them? Etc. like any good roguelike, I've had some really tense moments where I was sure I was dead and managed to survive. Was there luck involved? Yes, but I had to survive long enough for that healer/quest/corpse to show up.

It isn't a deep game, but it wasn't intended to be. They are going to be adding weapon types, potions, new classes, and other goodies.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 04:39:35 PM by Misguided » Logged

morlac

View Profile
« Reply #1751 on: January 31, 2013, 12:37:24 AM »

Right up my alley, price be damned but.... It says it is optimized for the iphone5.  I got a 4s so I am a little hesitant.  I just need to get an Ipad already.

morlac00 on PSN
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #1752 on: January 31, 2013, 12:39:31 AM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on January 25, 2013, 03:05:47 PM

I got it this morning and played around with it a bit. It seems like there could be a pretty decently deep and interesting game there, but so far it hasn't been so promising: playing on my iPod 5 the game has already crashed twice and given me low memory warning. This all in about 10 minutes of game time.

From Itunes review:
IMPORTANT: The game needs a lot of memory due to its bitmap graphics. If you encounter memory issues (app crashing), please use the "low resolution" settings in the app settings.

morlac00 on PSN
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #1753 on: January 31, 2013, 03:21:54 PM »

Pixel People is getting stellar reviews left and right.  It's free (and apparently perfectly playable as such).

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #1754 on: January 31, 2013, 04:12:56 PM »

Quote from: morlac on January 31, 2013, 12:39:31 AM

From Itunes review:
IMPORTANT: The game needs a lot of memory due to its bitmap graphics. If you encounter memory issues (app crashing), please use the "low resolution" settings in the app settings.

I've done that and turned off the wireless and other background apps and since then no crashes. I think my iPod 5 is fairly similar in specs to the iPhone 4s, so you'll probably be ok. It's a fun game and definitely worth $1.99.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1755 on: January 31, 2013, 05:12:57 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on January 31, 2013, 03:21:54 PM

Pixel People is getting stellar reviews left and right.  It's free (and apparently perfectly playable as such).

I'm playing it and it is pretty fun if you like these type of building timer games.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1756 on: January 31, 2013, 06:58:34 PM »

I swear that around 95% of my Temple Run 2 deaths come from falling off when the road narrows to one side.   icon_evil

One of my current objectives is to run 5,000 meters.  I had a run to 4,804 this morning (my longest ever) but didn't have enough gems to continue.   crybaby

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #1757 on: January 31, 2013, 08:30:00 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on January 31, 2013, 06:58:34 PM

I swear that around 95% of my Temple Run 2 deaths come from falling off when the road narrows to one side.   icon_evil

Same.  The other 5% is misjumping for a powerup.  Fortunately, I got used to the clouds of death turn.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
heloder
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1758 on: January 31, 2013, 09:11:49 PM »

Quote from: Suitably Ironic Moniker on January 31, 2013, 05:12:57 PM

I'm playing it and it is pretty fun if you like these type of building timer games.

And apparently I do not. Though I should've known because Pocket Planes immediately bored the hell out of me as well.

I will say that I'm a few games into Dungelot and I am liking that one. I still really, really wish some of my favorite roguelikes were on here, though.

I believe Mutant Mudds is free right now, so if you don't have it, get it. It's one of the best platformers I've played on iOS.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #1759 on: February 01, 2013, 12:28:07 AM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on January 31, 2013, 04:12:56 PM

Quote from: morlac on January 31, 2013, 12:39:31 AM

From Itunes review:

I've done that and turned off the wireless and other background apps and since then no crashes. I think my iPod 5 is fairly similar in specs to the iPhone 4s, so you'll probably be ok. It's a fun game and definitely worth $1.99.

Sigh, downloading now.

Between this and your Undercroft Recommendation last page I am drowned in classic RPG goodness.  I should return the favor.

Have you tried Knights of Pen and Paper?  It just recently got updated again with new characters, classes, quest etc.  Top 5 IOS game for me and I would imagine from your suggestions you would dig it to.  Not exactly in the same classic style as the above but more akin to....Well can't really put my finger on it but it's damn good.

morlac00 on PSN
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 53   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: