http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 06:15:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 53   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: iPhone/iTouch app and game thread  (Read 103658 times)
wonderpug
Gaming Trend Senior Member

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1680 on: December 22, 2012, 12:20:11 AM »

For strategy how about the new Battle of the Bulge game that's got people all a twitter?

For RPGs, do you like Western or Japanese style?

Do you like old school adventure games?
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #1681 on: December 22, 2012, 12:36:00 AM »

Ticket to ride. Vanilla or Europe. Playable against AI, or play and pass in a pinch if you must engage with your co-riders.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Ænima
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1682 on: December 22, 2012, 12:43:19 AM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on December 22, 2012, 12:01:02 AM

Ok guys, I need some quick advise:

I'm leaving on a trip tomorrow that will involve about 14 hours driving over the course of the next week. Luckily, I'm not doing any driving. And since it's always nice to be anti-social in a car, I'm looking for an iPhone game recommendation for this trip. Preferably the game will be something that will keep my interest for at least a good part of those 14 hours (bonus if longer). Additional bonus if it doesn't drain the battery within two hours (I have the new iPod Touch and so far the battery has been pretty good but that means it can't rely on WiFi). I generally prefer strategy games and roleplaying games, so anything in that genre will work well. I already have King of Dragon's Pass and Dragon Island Blue (and have played them out more or less). Games that aren't free are fine. Thanks.

Final Fantasy Tactics is half price right now. Great if you've never played it, still pretty good even if you have. The Ascension card game is quite good as well and I've probably thrown away a couple dozen hours playing it.

Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: December 22, 2012, 01:42:18 AM »

I have both Ticket to Rides and have played (and beaten) FFT years ago. I'll check out Battle of the Bulge and Ascension.

As for RPGs, I can do either Western or Japanese. I love some old school FF games, but I'm a bit less tolerant of grinding for grindings sake as I was back then.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #1684 on: December 22, 2012, 02:25:13 AM »

I went ahead and got something called Orc: Vengeance which has decent reviews and is now free. Also got something called Great Big War which has great reviews (like Advance Wars!) and is on sale for $0.99. But I'm still open for suggestions!
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #1685 on: December 22, 2012, 02:42:34 AM »

I enjoyed Pen and Paper knights and just got Battle for Wesnoth.  Both would fit your needs.

morlac00 on PSN
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #1686 on: December 22, 2012, 02:54:12 AM »

I'm pretty sure I've played Battle of Wesnoth. Am I mistaken or was that a free PC/Mac game from a few years back? I'll check out Pen & Paper RPG. Thanks.

edit: Er, Knights of Pen & Paper.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: December 22, 2012, 03:23:58 AM »

The Chaos Rings games are excellent.  They feel very much (in both playstyle and artwork) like PS1 era Squaresoft JRPGs.

Rimelands is a fun RPG with a dice-based combat system.

Pocket RPG is the best hack-n-slash I've played on iOS.

There's always the FF3, FF4, and Chrono Trigger ports.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1688 on: December 31, 2012, 06:26:11 AM »

Whoo! Star Trek: The Next Generation Pinball! Took its sweet time getting to the 'free' version of Pinball Arcade (I blame Christmas), but it's working great. Also, you thought The Twilight Zone was a hard table? Oh no. The ball just loves going down the drains (and always did in the real thing, too).

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #1689 on: December 31, 2012, 06:55:38 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on December 31, 2012, 06:26:11 AM

Whoo! Star Trek: The Next Generation Pinball! Took its sweet time getting to the 'free' version of Pinball Arcade (I blame Christmas), but it's working great. Also, you thought The Twilight Zone was a hard table? Oh no. The ball just loves going down the drains (and always did in the real thing, too).

Yeah they did a great job with the Star Trek table. For some reason it seems like the ball movement and speed is a bit more realistic on that table than the others.

Initial I thought the table was going to be so easy as my second play through I got within a few 100 million of beating the default high score. Didn't even know what I was doing. But I've been unable to beat that score since. The table is deviously difficult but so fun. There's a nice little "easter egg" on the table I came across too. If Data is speaking, particularly after you lose a ball, hit both flippers before he stops speaking.

I ended up not waiting for the free version to come out and just purchased the 99 cent paid version of the app after reading all your purchases move over to it - and they do. Got all my tables plus the two Kickstarter ones on the paid app so deleted the free.

Looks like one of the new tables for January is Attack from Mars which is supposed to be very good.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #1690 on: January 02, 2013, 12:30:56 AM »

I think it's been mentioned briefly in this thread once, but I just started playing Undercroft yesterday and think it's pretty good. It's more or less a Might and Magic style, party based, RPG. The game is light on story and is fairly generic, but there's a bit of customization in character creation/leveling up. And best of all, it's free. As an additional bonus, since it's an older game, I can play for hours on my iPod without seeing much battery drain. I'm not sure how long the game is or whether I'll get bored of it before I finish, but so far (~3 hours in), it's been a nice diversion.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #1691 on: January 04, 2013, 01:54:15 PM »

Hundreds is the new game from the Canabalt guy and one of the guys who did Solipskier.

It's a clever and addictive puzzle game where you touch and hold circles to increase their size (and the number within) and try to get a total on all circles of 100.  Very simple, but they keep adding interesting twists to the basic formula.

There is a flash version of the game for free, but by all accounts the iOS version is vastly improved.

Right now it is $3 and will go up to $5.  I normally wouldn't drop more than $1 on a puzzle game, but the buzz has been so positive on this I took the chance.  Also, given the scarcity of Canabalt sales, it may be a long, long time before we see it drop back to this $3 price.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1692 on: January 04, 2013, 02:06:16 PM »

I grabbed Hundreds yesterday.  It's clever and unique, but gets fiendishly difficult quite early on.  I'm only on level 31, and have already given up on it...I was ready to throw my iPhone across the room yesterday.

Be warned...

Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #1693 on: January 05, 2013, 05:44:09 PM »

I beat Undercroft today. The game took about 17.5 hours; not bad for a freebie! I really enjoyed it, although it's completely linear and a bit unbalanced - you can use as many potions as you want on a given turn, even on players that are stunned or frozen, making the game pretty easy. I wish there were more party-based mobile games like this.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #1694 on: January 11, 2013, 01:12:08 AM »

For those interested Dungeon Master, the old FTL Amiga/Atari ST dungeon crawler, is on the app store for $1.99. I bought it right away for nostolgic purposes but haven't had a chance to try it yet. For those that haven't played it it's similar to Legend of Grimrock and just as hard.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1695 on: January 11, 2013, 02:22:03 AM »

Do you have a link? I can't find it in the store.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #1696 on: January 11, 2013, 03:12:49 AM »

Hmmm... nor could I.  icon_frown

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1697 on: January 11, 2013, 01:57:45 PM »

Is it Dungeon Masters with an "s"?

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #1698 on: January 11, 2013, 03:28:24 PM »

That certainly looks to be the game in question... still doesn't show up in any App Store search on my iPad, though.  icon_confused

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: January 11, 2013, 06:48:45 PM »

Yeah. That's the one - Dungeon Masters.

Strange I see it's not coming up in the iTunes store for me either anymore although I have it downloaded. I just got it like two days ago.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1700 on: January 11, 2013, 10:33:34 PM »

Crawley, are you using the U.S. App Store?

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1701 on: January 11, 2013, 10:57:21 PM »

If it's showing in Appshopper and not the iTunes store (which it is for me, too), then it probably got pulled for some reason.

Appshopper said it was released on the 7th.

Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #1702 on: January 12, 2013, 02:10:44 AM »

US App Store. But again its not showing up for me.

I transfered it over to my iPad using a cable as it doesn't show up in my purchases. It works but is a bit clunky in some areas. For instance you can't just pick up an item and drag it to a persons inventory. You have to drag it to their hand, open their inventory, and then drag the item from their hand to the inventory. Not fun when you have several items on the ground. If there's a quick way to do it I haven't found it. This is certainly the original Dungeon Master. You have the Hall of Champions and all the Champions look identical. The first level you go down to is as I remember. Sound effects are identical. So someone may have been looking to make a quick buck.

It looks to be playable but kinda sloppily done.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #1703 on: January 12, 2013, 07:20:49 PM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on January 02, 2013, 12:30:56 AM

I think it's been mentioned briefly in this thread once, but I just started playing Undercroft yesterday and think it's pretty good. It's more or less a Might and Magic style, party based, RPG. The game is light on story and is fairly generic, but there's a bit of customization in character creation/leveling up. And best of all, it's free. As an additional bonus, since it's an older game, I can play for hours on my iPod without seeing much battery drain. I'm not sure how long the game is or whether I'll get bored of it before I finish, but so far (~3 hours in), it's been a nice diversion.

Thanks for this mention.  I'm liking this as well. 

morlac00 on PSN
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1704 on: January 13, 2013, 01:28:47 AM »

Quote from: morlac on January 12, 2013, 07:20:49 PM

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on January 02, 2013, 12:30:56 AM

Thanks for this mention.  I'm liking this as well. 

I picked this up based on your recommendation, Ralph.  Very cool and brings back flashbacks to World of Xeen and the like for me (on a smaller scale).

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #1705 on: January 15, 2013, 03:13:16 AM »

If you have any work to get done in the next week or so, do not download Dungelot.
If you an imagine a casual rogue-like, dungeon raid, and minesweeper all tossed into a blender, this is it.
Turn-based on a grid. You tap squares to reveal monsters, chests, traps, etc.
There is no goal, it is a high score game. There are multiple classes w/ skills to upgrade.
Very, very, fun. Do NOT download!

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #1706 on: January 15, 2013, 03:37:34 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on January 15, 2013, 03:13:16 AM

If you have any work to get done in the next week or so, do not download Dungelot.
If you an imagine a casual rogue-like, dungeon raid, and minesweeper all tossed into a blender, this is it.
There is no goal, it is a high score game. There are multiple classes w/ skills to upgrade.

I didn't listen to your advice. Tried the demo, seemed fun, bought the game. You accomplished exactly the opposite of your goal with that post!
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1707 on: January 15, 2013, 03:44:17 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on January 15, 2013, 03:13:16 AM

Heard about this on TA the other day and immediately downloaded it.  I really expected to love it, but it kinda fell flat for some reason.  Need to give it another look.

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1708 on: January 15, 2013, 05:11:07 PM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on January 15, 2013, 03:37:34 PM

I didn't listen to your advice. Tried the demo, seemed fun, bought the game. You accomplished exactly the opposite of your goal with that post!

Curses!

Gratch, I can see where it would definitely not be for everybody. For me, it has a great mix of luck and strategy. With a strong "just one more" pull. The character unlocks were a strong motivator for me initially. Now that I have unlocked all the currently available characters, I can work on upgrading them, but we'll see how strong the desire to play remains. Even so, I have burned quite a few hours.

There were some nasty crash issues in the initial release, but the developer got that fixed quickly. There is a known soft-lock condition, that I think they have already submitted a fix for. The dev has also promised to implement a save state as soon as possible (a major oversight, admittedly).

There is so much potential here. I'd love to see more quest variety, more classes, etc. I also think implementing some Talisman-style side dungeons would be really nifty.

Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #1709 on: January 15, 2013, 05:55:17 PM »

Is there any way to tell (a la Minesweepers) how many enemies there might be in adjacent squares? Or is it all luck?

Also, is there any way to go back to a previous level? I had one door say I need to bring a lantern, but there was no lantern on that level that I found (or any subsequent one for that matter).
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1710 on: January 15, 2013, 07:11:31 PM »

I've been having a blast with Soccer Puzzle League. It's a clever combination of match-3, RPG, strategy, and, well, soccer.  It's similar to the dungeon crawl match-3's that we've seen, with attack (goal), heal (save), and shield (tackle) tiles.  You play against a single opponent in a match timed by number of moves (i.e. 45, 60, or 90).  It requires a lot more strategy than most match-3 games, as you end up balancing your offense, defense, and time remaining in the game to outscore your opponent.  It's a bit grindy, but otherwise quite a bit of fun.

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: January 15, 2013, 10:53:14 PM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on January 15, 2013, 05:55:17 PM

Is there any way to tell (a la Minesweepers) how many enemies there might be in adjacent squares? Or is it all luck?

Also, is there any way to go back to a previous level? I had one door say I need to bring a lantern, but there was no lantern on that level that I found (or any subsequent one for that matter).

You can't tell how many monsters there are, but there is a little bit of strategy in choosing where to look. There are items you can find that will tell you where traps, chests, keys are, but nothing like that yet for monsters (and i doubt there would be). But most of the strategy comes in when things start to get tougher, and figuring out when to use scrolls, when to dive to the next level vs explore etc.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: January 16, 2013, 03:18:57 PM »

Just a heads up:  From out of nowhere, Temple Run 2 is coming tonight!

I'm sure people are growing tired of Endless Runners, but I still like 'em, and I'll be interested to see what they do to update this one.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: January 17, 2013, 02:38:07 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on January 16, 2013, 03:18:57 PM

I'm sure people are growing tired of Endless Runners, but I still like 'em, and I'll be interested to see what they do to update this one.

It's more Temple Run with better graphics, for better or worse.  Still quite fun, although I'm getting a bit burnt out on the genre.  Two issues that I've noticed right off the bat:

1.  The controls doesn't seem as responsive, which is an issue for a game that requires quick reflexes.
2.  There are a number of times where it wasn't really clear what I was supposed to do.  There are times when it looks like the only possible option is to jump when you're actually supposed to turn and jumping will end your run.  I suppose it will get better with practice, but it's annoying at the moment.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: January 17, 2013, 03:04:46 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on January 17, 2013, 02:38:07 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on January 16, 2013, 03:18:57 PM

It's more Temple Run with better graphics, for better or worse.  Still quite fun, although I'm getting a bit burnt out on the genre.  Two issues that I've noticed right off the bat:

1.  The controls doesn't seem as responsive, which is an issue for a game that requires quick reflexes.
2.  There are a number of times where it wasn't really clear what I was supposed to do.  There are times when it looks like the only possible option is to jump when you're actually supposed to turn and jumping will end your run.  I suppose it will get better with practice, but it's annoying at the moment.

Yeah, those moments where it drops into the clouds if you don't turn left or right are a PITA.  I'm sure I'll adapt, but a clearer indicator of the turns would be nice for an update.

The narrow ledges still get me every time.

One change I noticed, the character unlocks actually do more than change the skin, they give you new power-ups.  These power-ups charge up as you play and you activate them by double tapping.  The first one is a shield.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: January 18, 2013, 01:35:20 AM »

I must have died at least a dozen times today simply because my swipes didn't register at all.   icon_evil

The timing on those spiky rolling logs is tricky.

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: January 18, 2013, 07:04:33 AM »

Playdek sale going on. All games and DLC a dollar, including the everything pack for Summoner Wars.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: January 18, 2013, 10:23:52 PM »

Penny Arcade the Game: Gamers vs Evil is on sale for a buck.  It's a deck-building card game along the lines of Ascension, but more light-hearted and filled with PA references.  Pretty well done game, and definitely worth a buck if you like deck building games.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: January 18, 2013, 11:38:59 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on January 18, 2013, 10:23:52 PM

Penny Arcade the Game: Gamers vs Evil is on sale for a buck.  It's a deck-building card game along the lines of Ascension, but more light-hearted and filled with PA references.  Pretty well done game, and definitely worth a buck if you like deck building games.

Thanks! I've been waiting for a price drop on this! I really wish there was an app that tracked the prices of other apps that you bookmarked. lol.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: January 18, 2013, 11:46:05 PM »

If only...

Track the newest iPhone and iPod Touch apps, updates and price changes here at AppShopper.

Download our Free iPhone and iPad App!

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 53   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: