http://gamingtrend.com
September 17, 2014, 01:52:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 54   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: iPhone/iTouch app and game thread  (Read 104530 times)
wonderpug
Gaming Trend Senior Member

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1640 on: November 30, 2012, 10:22:34 PM »

I'm hearing a lot of good buzz around Writer Rumble

Yes, that's Edgar Allen Poe fighting off a scientist and a monster using words.
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #1641 on: November 30, 2012, 10:27:36 PM »

I downloaded it. Basically it's Bookworm meets Street Fighter.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1642 on: November 30, 2012, 10:41:03 PM »

Quote from: Jimmy the Fish on November 30, 2012, 10:27:36 PM

Have you played Bookworm Adventures?  Any comparison?
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #1643 on: November 30, 2012, 11:57:18 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on November 30, 2012, 10:41:03 PM

Quote from: Jimmy the Fish on November 30, 2012, 10:27:36 PM

Have you played Bookworm Adventures?  Any comparison?

I have not played Bookwork Adventures before but looking at the screenshots, I don't think Writer Rumble is as complex a game. WR takes the basic Bookworm game and adds a much more frantic time element so you have to find words a lot faster. At the same time you are making words and killing off monsters, or your opponent in the head to head matches, your character is getting hit as well. In that regard, it's like a Street Fighter game.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #1644 on: December 01, 2012, 04:33:45 AM »

I'd been looking forward to this one, but from what I understand the single-player mode is rather limited.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #1645 on: December 01, 2012, 06:19:07 PM »

Pinball Arcade released the Twilight Zone table. Never played it before but according to the Internet Pinball Machine Database it was the #1 ranked table for awhile - now #2. The making of story behind this one is that Pat Lawlor was given free rein to create the table and just went wild adding a bunch of fun stuff - including a gumball machine that dispenses a crematic ball that plays differently than the normal steel balls. I have to say this table seems very difficult. I played several games where I was done in less than a minute. I know part of this is due to just needing to learn the layout (there's a lot on the table) but it seems like its going to be a tough one to master.

This was the table that was funded by the Kickstarter so its out as a premium table at $5. I did put $10 towards the kickstarter and been having a hell of a time getting the table to stay unlocked for me on iOS. Others have reported similar issues. Hopefully they can work it out.

Later this month they're apparently releasing the other Kickstarted funded table Star Trek: The Next Generation. And The rumor is that the next Kickstarter is for the Terminator 2 table.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #1646 on: December 01, 2012, 09:02:35 PM »

Played that table a bit.  Wasn't my personal favorite, but it was cool.  There was an upper play table that required the use of magnets to act as ball control to get the ball into the highest scoring hole.  Obviously, that made it a problem when you got the ceramic ball in there. 

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #1647 on: December 03, 2012, 04:58:08 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on November 30, 2012, 10:22:34 PM

Just bought it and I think it's great.

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #1648 on: December 03, 2012, 12:37:41 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on November 30, 2012, 10:22:34 PM

That's not a monster, it's a god. Cthulhu, to be exact. And the scientist is actually meant to be Lovecraft. 

All the characters are based on authors.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1649 on: December 03, 2012, 02:38:18 PM »

Yup, the 'Howard' threw me off but the the character select screen made it clear.  I'm still trying to figure out if I like the game, though.  Single player survival mode seems pretty lackluster, and multiplayer wasn't working when I tried it.  I couldn't tell if I was having connection problems, if the servers were having issues, or if my opponents were just going comatose at the character select screen.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #1650 on: December 03, 2012, 07:16:30 PM »

Quote from: Crawley on December 01, 2012, 06:19:07 PM

This was the table that was funded by the Kickstarter so its out as a premium table at $5. I did put $10 towards the kickstarter and been having a hell of a time getting the table to stay unlocked for me on iOS. Others have reported similar issues. Hopefully they can work it out.

Looks like they were able to fix the Kickstarter issue as I was able to get the table to unlock with all my other tables. Oddly I have access to the ball skins and Pro menu which I shouldn't with the $10 backing I gave. To get the skin you would have had to put at least $25 in and to get the Pro menu at least $100. I can see those backers being pissed although I suspect this access is temporary until the next table update.

I hit the instructions for this table to learn a few things - it almost seems mandatory to go through as there's just so much to do on the table. I would have never figured out how the skill shot works without reading the instructions and learning how to get those extra balls seems to be key (thankfully they're pretty easy to initate). I'm learning the table a bit more but still having a bunch of 30-60 second games because the table is so unforgiving. Hit the wrong spot and the ball will drain. Come out of the bumpers wrong and the ball wil drain. Use the right ramp and the ball will likely run down the center and drain. Brutal.

So I probably would never have played this table much in the arcades given all the money I would have to invest to learn it. But here not a big deal other than this initial frustration factor. I did manage to enter my score in twice which is an accomplishment but not a huge one since this table is so high scoring. Dunno if this one will be a favorite but I can see going back to it for the challenge.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1651 on: December 03, 2012, 09:25:24 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on December 03, 2012, 02:38:18 PM

Yup, the 'Howard' threw me off but the the character select screen made it clear.  I'm still trying to figure out if I like the game, though.  Single player survival mode seems pretty lackluster, and multiplayer wasn't working when I tried it.  I couldn't tell if I was having connection problems, if the servers were having issues, or if my opponents were just going comatose at the character select screen.

way too hectic for me to enjoy I think.  Love the idea though
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1652 on: December 06, 2012, 05:54:00 AM »

StarDunk Gold dropped to free.

I hadn't heard of it before.  It's described as "online basketball in space" and that almost sums it up, except it doesn't mention anything about being hyper addicting. Cool neon colors, funky soundtrack, upgrades aplenty (although I almost missed those). 

It couldn't be simpler, but they've added just enough to make it cool.  Give it a try.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1653 on: December 06, 2012, 03:26:17 PM »

I Dream of Pixels is a very cool take on the standard Tetris formula.  Instead of stacking up blocks, you actually remove them from a large floating block.  Cool soundtrack and visuals make for a very fun experience.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #1654 on: December 07, 2012, 11:24:04 PM »

Anyone pick up Baldur's Gate yet? Waiting to hear how the touch controls are before I bother.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1655 on: December 08, 2012, 12:11:49 AM »

They're actually posting impressions in the BG category in PC/Console Gaming. Sounds like the touch controls are good.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #1656 on: December 08, 2012, 08:56:05 AM »

Quote from: Lee on December 07, 2012, 11:24:04 PM

Anyone pick up Baldur's Gate yet? Waiting to hear how the touch controls are before I bother.

Takes a bit of getting used to.  If you don't have gotta have it now! Vibe it might be best to wait a bit, I've had a few small issues with the game but they weren't show stoppers. 
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #1657 on: December 11, 2012, 10:17:22 PM »

Lost Cities is on sale for 1.99. This is particularly notable since Coding Monkeys has never put Carcassone on sale (though it was cheaper before the universal update came out). I went ahead and bought it, but I hope it gets updated to universal at some point.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #1658 on: December 17, 2012, 09:10:03 PM »

Makers of Fruit ninja are giving away their entire game catalog for free for one day only.

http://toucharcade.com/2012/12/17/fifty-alarm-freebie-alert-fruit-ninja-and-every-other-halfbrick-game-free-for-just-24-hours/

get um while you can.

morlac00 on PSN
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #1659 on: December 17, 2012, 09:25:43 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on December 11, 2012, 10:17:22 PM

Lost Cities is on sale for 1.99. This is particularly notable since Coding Monkeys has never put Carcassone on sale (though it was cheaper before the universal update came out). I went ahead and bought it, but I hope it gets updated to universal at some point.

Let's play a game!!!

- - -

I've been hooked on a kind of goofy game called Age of Myth:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/age-of-myth/id547841533?mt=8

I'm not even sure what type of game to call it, I guess it's a side scrolling RTS.  The English translations are horrible, the design is fairly simplistic, and a lot of things aren't explained well or at all, but somehow it has some weird addictive quality to it (for me, anyway).  You are in charge of a town with buildings to upgrade units, upgrade your hero, train your hero, buy items and other miscellaneous things.  The center of the town is your castle.  It took me a while to figure this out, but essentially each "combat" you participate in leads from your castle to the enemy's area in a side scrolling-ish way.  Along the path they send mob after mob at you, and you can fight them with your weapons or items or special skills.  In addition you can call up a limited number of disposable troops (there are 5 to choose from at the outset) to help in the fight.  The battle will go back and forth until you or the enemy run is defeated, or until one of you destroys the others's castle.  The rate at which you can call troops is upgradeable, as is your castle strength and castle defenses.  Fighting requires little skill, just some basic timing on when to use your special abilities.  In spite of all the simplicity, because pretty much everything is upgradeable or disposable, you are constantly making choices as to how to use your rewards (money and runes, runes are earned slowly or as IAP and can be traded for gold, gold is earned by playing battles and just logging in over time) to get further along.  You may have to go back and grind out different levels for cash.  You get a letter grade for your performance and extra cash if you destroy the enemy castle.

All in all I'm not exactly sure what kind of gamer this appeals to, but I'm definitely a little addicted.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 09:27:32 PM by rittchard » Logged
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1660 on: December 17, 2012, 10:14:24 PM »

Quote from: morlac on December 17, 2012, 09:10:03 PM

Makers of Fruit ninja are giving away their entire game catalog for free for one day only.

http://toucharcade.com/2012/12/17/fifty-alarm-freebie-alert-fruit-ninja-and-every-other-halfbrick-game-free-for-just-24-hours/

get um while you can.

Don't miss Jetpack Joyride.

Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1661 on: December 18, 2012, 12:36:15 AM »

A couple of other games are free right now as well.

Majesty -- It's a little altered in translation but still a great game

The Whole Virtual Villagers series

Shift 2: Unleashed

While the following are on sale for $.99

Borderlands Legends

Sid Meier's Pirates

Civilization Revolution

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1662 on: December 18, 2012, 12:36:22 AM »

To be fair, Jetpack Joyride is always free.

Ravensword: Shadowlands comes put this week, and it looks awesome.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #1663 on: December 18, 2012, 06:30:26 AM »

First episode of The Walking Dead is free right now.  Lots of people seemed to like it so I'm downloading it now.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #1664 on: December 18, 2012, 10:30:17 AM »

Wow keep um coming and I will fill up my phone!  Seriously just added about 15 games the last two days, most of them free. 

morlac00 on PSN
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1665 on: December 18, 2012, 01:42:30 PM »

Quote from: Suitably Ironic Moniker on December 18, 2012, 12:36:22 AM

To be fair, Jetpack Joyride is always free.

It was $.99 when I bought it.   *Fist Shaking*

Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1666 on: December 18, 2012, 03:34:52 PM »

Yeah, they dropped that about 6 months ago. Early adopters are always screwed.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1667 on: December 18, 2012, 10:05:06 PM »

They have apparently patched in a virtual joystick to ORC Vengance.  This might make it worth another look.  I liked most everything about this game except the godawful touch interface made it damn near unplayable. 

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #1668 on: December 19, 2012, 03:34:55 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on December 18, 2012, 10:05:06 PM

They have apparently patched in a virtual joystick to ORC Vengance.  This might make it worth another look.  I liked most everything about this game except the godawful touch interface made it damn near unplayable. 

I gave up on it due to the controls... have to give it another shot.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1669 on: December 19, 2012, 04:55:45 PM »

If anybody has fond memories of the 80s adventure game Lords of Midnight, it's now out for the iOS platform.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1670 on: December 19, 2012, 05:12:11 PM »

In other nostalgia news, the Lost Treasures of Infocom is coming to the app store tonight! 

The file size of 129mb is shocking until you realize they've included 3D box art, 3d feelies, invisiclues and new functionality just for touch screens.

It's free and you get Zork 1.  The other games come in sets of 5 for $1.99 each or the whole shebang for $9.99.

Check out this TouchArcade link for other details.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1671 on: December 19, 2012, 05:20:27 PM »

Arc Squadron is free today, courtesy of Touch Arcade.  It's a pretty fun rail shooter than looks fantastic.

Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #1672 on: December 19, 2012, 07:02:35 PM »

Quote from: Suitably Ironic Moniker on December 19, 2012, 04:55:45 PM

If anybody has fond memories of the 80s adventure game Lords of Midnight, it's now out for the iOS platform.

OMG. That is 80's computer strategy game graphics! I had forgotten!
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1673 on: December 20, 2012, 02:37:39 PM »

The new Ravensword game is out, and is getting good reviews.  Downloading now, will report back later.

Saddened to report that I had to throw in the towel on Baldur's Gate.  The iPad controls were just too bad to overcome.  frown

KC

View Profile
« Reply #1674 on: December 20, 2012, 05:31:05 PM »

Final Fantasy Tactics is on sale!
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #1675 on: December 20, 2012, 06:31:04 PM »

Quote from: KC on December 20, 2012, 05:31:05 PM

Final Fantasy Tactics is on sale!

Wow, half price now.

So instead of ridiculously expensive, it's just expensive.  icon_razz
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1676 on: December 20, 2012, 09:49:27 PM »

Early thoughts on Ravensword:

+  Looks beautiful.  A new "show off" game for the iPad/iPhone.  Honestly captures the Oblivion feel, albeit on a smaller scale.
+  Combat is fun, if a bit repetitive
+  Level-up system similar to Skyrim (i.e. improve as you do/use things)
+  You reveal general locations on the map as you find them and you can fast travel to any known location

-  No real map or quest tracker means you'll be wandering around aimlessly hoping to bump into things.  Journal doesn't give you many hints either.  If you happen to forget which direction the quest-giver told you to go when you originally received the quest, you're basically screwed.  Some people may love the exploration aspect, but this might be a game-breaker for me.
-  Character sheathes his weapon after a few seconds of non-use (even when in the middle of a dungeon) and there is a short animation to bring it back out.  Multiple occasions where he would put his sword away just as I was approaching an enemy...the baddie would get in multiple hits before I could even get my sword back out.
-  Difficult seems to be all over the place.  One minute I'm chopping down Wild Boars in one swing, but 50 yards away I'm getting gang-mobbed by trolls and killed in about 3 seconds.  I actually dialed the difficulty slider back a notch and it's much more enjoyable.
-  Dodge is tied to the jump button, and is damn near impossible to use in combat.  In theory, you are supposed to hit jump as you slide left or right on the virtual stick.  In practice, you end up jumping around like an idiot in the middle of a fight.

Not sure this one will have legs unless they patch in some sort of quest tracking system.  The fact they didn't have one - especially in a game this big - is baffling to me.  Other than that, it's pretty fun.

Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #1677 on: December 21, 2012, 01:44:50 AM »

I played a bit of it too and agree with what you've posted here - except for leveling up as you can put points in things too. One other thing to note is it looks like all the monsters respawn once you leave the immediate area. I don't like that. And I noticed with the goblins that were grouped up that they got stuck on things. So can tell the AI is likely pretty basic.

But there's certainly a bit of "wow" factor to this game in the little bit I've explored. Its certainly not as complex as Skyrim, where you can pick up items and manipulate them, but it's in the realm of Gothic 1&2 tech with better graphics.

It looks like there's a few different roles you can play in the game: warrior/mage/archer/theif but at the rate I'm leveling it seems like I should be able to play a bit of everything.

The controls are not so bad once I got used to them. If I use my left hands index finger to manipulate my view I can easily use my thumb to use the sword/jump while my left hand controls all the movement. Works out well.

So so far so good.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #1678 on: December 21, 2012, 01:47:49 AM »

For Pinball Arcade the Star Trek: The Next Generation table is out. This is the other table from Kickstarter that was done. I haven't tried it yet as right now only the paid version of the Pinball Arcade app has the update and I have the free version. So still waiting on that app update before getting it - although I expect like the last Kickstarter it'll take them a good day before accounts are synced up and can download it.

I know I played this table a few times in college but don't remember much about it. But its a top rated table so looking forward to trying it.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #1679 on: December 22, 2012, 12:01:02 AM »

Ok guys, I need some quick advise:

I'm leaving on a trip tomorrow that will involve about 14 hours driving over the course of the next week. Luckily, I'm not doing any driving. And since it's always nice to be anti-social in a car, I'm looking for an iPhone game recommendation for this trip. Preferably the game will be something that will keep my interest for at least a good part of those 14 hours (bonus if longer). Additional bonus if it doesn't drain the battery within two hours (I have the new iPod Touch and so far the battery has been pretty good but that means it can't rely on WiFi). I generally prefer strategy games and roleplaying games, so anything in that genre will work well. I already have King of Dragon's Pass and Dragon Island Blue (and have played them out more or less). Games that aren't free are fine. Thanks.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 54   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: