http://gamingtrend.com
December 19, 2014, 12:42:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 54   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: iPhone/iTouch app and game thread  (Read 111854 times)
kathode
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1560 on: June 12, 2012, 07:02:15 PM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on May 02, 2012, 07:03:26 AM

Pandemic 2.5 is out on IOS. Adds features (that I don't remember exactly) over the flash version. Is universal I believe. http://appshopper.com/games/pandemic-25

Create a disease... kill off the human race...

SHUT DOWN EVERYTHING!

For .99 cents.

Plague, Inc is a massively improved version of Pandemic 2.5.  Much better UI and more fun to play.  Pretty much the same game, but I played well past my bedtime last night smile
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: June 14, 2012, 03:54:23 AM »

For those who enjoyed last year's Tiny Tower, Nimblebit has released their new game Pocket Planes. I haven't played around with it too much, but there seems to be a little more actual strategy involved while keeping the charm and accessibility from their previous title.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: June 20, 2012, 04:06:35 AM »

Two new tables for Pinball Aracde were released. "Monster Bash" and "Gorgar".

Monster Bash is the highlight of this months releases. It ranks #7 on the Internet Pinball Machine Database. The theme to this one is to gather all 6 Universal Studios monsters (Dracula, Frankenstein's monster, Wolfman, etc) together and play a rock concert. Its humor based and is about the quality of Medieval Madness. I recall playing this one in the arcades and one of the draws was all the actiony figure monsters that would move or light up. It's a pretty fun table but honestly was hoping this week would be the other monster table release, Creature from the Black Lagoon, which is one of my favorites.

Gorgar is the other release and is a 1979 table. It was the first table with voice although it can only say a few words and mix and match those words. Its not a bad table, I actually like that its really punchy, but I don't see it holding my interest. I'll probably play it off and on like "Black Hole", another table from the 70's.

Can purchase both of the tables in the pack for just under $5.

The free playable table for the month is "Funhouse". I really didn't care for this table as it was so easy to lose the ball. Typically I would play it a few times, get frustrated with the table and move on. But on a recent vacation I decided I was going to get good at the table so played it a lot. Waiting for the plane. On the plane. At the hotel. Any time I wasn't doing anything I was playing Funhouse. And it was because I really loved the table. Once I started to get the hang of it and understood the table it turned in to a lot of fun. There's a nice YouTube video from a guy who has the table in his collection that talks about this particular table, shows some basics, and talks about why he loves  the table.

Also the Kickstarter for the "Twilight Zone" table got funded so that table will be coming eventually. They didn't make the $110,000 needed for the ST:NG table but hope they do a new Kickstarter for that table at some point. They also mentioned that some of the companies that hold these expensive license agreements now seem more interested in working out deals for their tables. They said they were in talks with one company and will likely get a license for a Top 10 themed table which means its either "ST:NG", "The Adams Family" or "Indiana Jones: The Pinball Adventure".
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1563 on: June 20, 2012, 06:07:41 AM »

Also, Magic (the Gathering) 2013 (: Duels of the Planewalkers) has come out. Free to try their demo, and $10 for what looks to be the whole shebang. Not sure yet on that part though. Enjoying it so far though.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: June 20, 2012, 04:07:56 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on June 20, 2012, 06:07:41 AM

Also, Magic (the Gathering) 2013 (: Duels of the Planewalkers) has come out. Free to try their demo, and $10 for what looks to be the whole shebang. Not sure yet on that part though. Enjoying it so far though.

Yeah, it said something about "playing higher difficulty levels" or some such about unlocking the full game.  I'm not sure what that means.

I wish this thing wasn't nearly a gig in size, though.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1565 on: June 20, 2012, 11:31:36 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 20, 2012, 04:07:56 PM

Quote from: Destructor on June 20, 2012, 06:07:41 AM

Yeah, it said something about "playing higher difficulty levels" or some such about unlocking the full game.  I'm not sure what that means.

I wish this thing wasn't nearly a gig in size, though.

The free game has something like 3 decks and limited enemies so it will give you a taste of the interface to see if you like it or not.  I played about 6 games today and it was very fun and I didn't have much trouble with the interface.  I wish the cards in your hand were just a bit bigger, the text is readable, but pretty small, you can double tap and it will zoom that card in.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: June 22, 2012, 02:27:10 AM »

'Frozen Synapse' For iPad Is Still Coming
http://toucharcade.com/2012/06/21/frozen-synapse-for-ipad-is-still-coming/
Supposedly nearing beta, this includes a brief video of current build. While its fun on PC, I'm hoping it might be easier to find folks to play with or against on iOS.

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: June 22, 2012, 05:02:42 PM »

How friendly is MtG 13 for someone who has never played it before?

Cragmyre

View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: June 22, 2012, 05:09:11 PM »

You can try it for free smile

But DotP is a really great way to learn the game.  Unfortunately I've played it before, but in my biased opinion, I feel it is friendly to new players.  I got one of my friends interested in it, so once he gets back from vacation, I'll find out how friendly it truly is ( or not biggrin )

I suffer from EGADD - Electronic Gaming Attention Deficit Disorder
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: June 22, 2012, 06:08:23 PM »

I felt that MtG from two releases back was really noob friendly, but last year wasn't at all, IMO.  I've played through the demo part of 2013, and it does a great job of hand holding and letting you kick a little ass. 

The tutorial does a good job of taking you through the basics and then things get slipped in as you play the campaign.  I do wish some strategy was discussed as it went along.  For example, you can play one land card per turn, either in the phase before combat or after combat.  I'm sure there are some specific cards that make playing land after combat useful, but when the tutorial makes you do it, for the life of me, I couldn't figure out why.

They have little reminders that pop up every time in-game they're needed until you turn them off.

However, the menu itself looks a bit overwhelming.  You're limited to what you can do at the start, so it's not as bad as it looks, but it could be off-putting.

Definitely give it a go.

Cragmyre

View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: June 22, 2012, 07:06:18 PM »

I agree, I don't know why the tutorial has you play a land on the second main phase.  Strategically the only case I could think of is if you want to bluff your opponent into thinking that you didn't draw anything.  Or, another possible case is if your creature has power/toughness equal to the number of cards in your hand.  Then you'd want to keep the hand as large as possible, especially before combat.

A creature, on the other hand, should always be played second main phase unless it will help you in combat.  The strategy behind that is, your opponent may think you are attacking with your only guy and won't have a blocker for the next turn, so may not block you this turn thinking he/she will be able to attack unimpeded next turn.

Also, the tutorial says you should play a land every turn, and for the most part I agree with that, but there are times where you just don't need any more land, so keeping a card in hand can be used to bluff your opponent ( assuming you are playing a real person and not the AI biggrin )

edit: maybe we should move this to the thread for Magic 2013?

Cragmyre

View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: June 25, 2012, 07:10:05 PM »

Summoner Wars has been submitted for approval ( Friday I believe ) so if all goes well it should be out this week.  Here is a Summoner Wars trailer.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: June 25, 2012, 08:00:21 PM »

regarding magic, it's often wise to wait until second main to do any summons or land playing unless you NEED the card played prior to the attack phase.  Leaves you more options and gives opponent more chances to reveal something.

I'm pretty pumped for Summoner Wars.  Never played before, but I've now watched a couple hours of videos on strategy and what not.  I'm ready!
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: June 25, 2012, 09:30:52 PM »

I've been anxiously waiting for Summoner Wars.  Love playing the physical game.  Great news!

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: June 27, 2012, 03:22:57 PM »

Ascension just got an update that lets you mix & match the decks in any way you want.  I've been wanting to see what the Storm of Souls deck is like combined with the Core deck.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1575 on: June 27, 2012, 04:03:46 PM »

It's a bit busy.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
Cragmyre

View Profile
« Reply #1576 on: June 28, 2012, 03:32:32 AM »

To celebrate Atari's 40th anniversary, you can get all 100 Atari's Greatest Hits for free today.  They remain free as long as you don't uninstall it from your device though.

Cragmyre

View Profile
« Reply #1577 on: July 05, 2012, 06:49:58 PM »

For anyone that doesn't yet have it Angry Birds Seasons HD is free today.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1578 on: July 25, 2012, 03:16:54 PM »

Orc Vengance hits tonight...I have high hopes that this one can break me out of the iOS gaming slump I've been in lately.

Also, someone apparently made a game based on Manos:  The Hands of Fate.  Seriously.

Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #1579 on: July 26, 2012, 10:04:11 PM »

Just bought Orc:Vengeance. Looks good.
One thing I'm learning is never over look the free apps.
I have a few that easily could charge the same as some of the bigger titles.
There is some very talented free lance app developers out there.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1580 on: July 27, 2012, 03:31:55 PM »

A couple things:

-  10000000 (edit: what an awful name) looks like it could be the next Dungeon Raid.  Review here
Catapult Kings is free today.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: July 27, 2012, 08:17:09 PM »

10000000 is pretty fun, I'm having a bit of trouble with the 'feel' of sliding the rows though
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1582 on: July 28, 2012, 01:28:02 AM »

Neuroshima Hex update! Improved AI and two new armies for sale: Smart and Vegas.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1583 on: July 28, 2012, 01:48:38 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on July 27, 2012, 08:17:09 PM

10000000 is pretty fun, I'm having a bit of trouble with the 'feel' of sliding the rows though

Same here.  Seems like oftentimes it doesn't register when you're trying to move them.

Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: July 28, 2012, 04:00:49 PM »

Pinball Arcade is updated with two new tables and Gamecenter support. The two new tables are:

Creature From the Black Lagoon: My personal favorite as it was the first pinball game that clicked with me making me realize each table has a story and goals to complete. This one takes place at a drive-in theater in the 50's where you're watching the Creature from the Black Lagoon feature.

Black Knight: An 80's table which was the first split level table (a lower/upper level playfield). The other oddity to the table was a magnetic "save" you could activate if your ball was heading out of one of the side lanes.

Free table of the month is Bride of Pinbot which I find myself going back to again and again.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: July 28, 2012, 04:01:55 PM »

black knight was awesome in 'real life'
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: August 29, 2012, 06:06:16 PM »

Bastion is coming to the iPad tomorrow!
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1587 on: August 30, 2012, 01:37:28 AM »

McPixel is a cross between Warioware, a Lucasarts adventure and MacGruber.

If that's not enough let me describe it further.  Using old school graphics, each level puts you in a dangerous situation: On a plane with a snake and a bomb, in an ancient temple, online at the coffee shop.  Can you figure out what to do to stop the place from blowing up?!

Gameplay-wise, it's mostly trial and error.  Tap on this, then that and see what happens.  Then you go to the next scene of the level.  Eventually, you work your way through all of them and then you replay any that blew up the previous attempt.  The levels each only last a few seconds and there's a sense of humor to the whole thing (plus a driving midi-techno score), so it winds up being surprisingly entertaining, if goofy and unpolished.

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #1588 on: August 30, 2012, 06:01:11 PM »

Any fans of logic puzzlers need to go buy Illusion Labs new Blast-a-Way right now.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1589 on: August 30, 2012, 08:17:01 PM »

Bastion looks amazing on the new ipad. I only had a few minutes to play but so far I love the narration and the hack and slash action was quite fun.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 08:21:04 PM by Crusis » Logged

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1590 on: September 13, 2012, 02:05:51 PM »

Eight dollars for iPad Fieldrunners 2?!!

Someone please give a holler when that sucker goes on sale. 
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: September 28, 2012, 06:32:28 PM »

Pinball Arcade has two new table packs out now and they are:

Taxi: A table from 1988 and a really good one. It's one of the faster tables I've played. Its easy to follow, quite a bit of fun, but pretty challenging with the speed and some tough shots. There also a quick 2-ball multiball which is fun when triggered and I like the Spinout at the start. This is also the Free table for this month.

Harley Davidson (3rd Edition): A table from 1999. Was not expecting to like this table but I think this might turn out to be a favorite. There's a lot going on with this table with several ramps and a toy Harley motorcycle in the center which raises up to reveal a hidden ramp. I also hit one digital mini-game which was a nice distraction, but hope there are others. The crazy part about this game is how easy it seems to trigger various multiballs. I seem to be triggering them quite often. And the multiballs are with 4 or 5 balls on the table at once which is a lot of fun.

Oddly enough this table also seemed to be free in the Free App version of Pinball Aracde. Not sure if they fixed that but if not you can try both Taxi and Harley out for free this month.

Elvira Party Monsters: This is the older Elvira table from 1989 rather than 1996 table Scared Stiff. I only played a few games of this but I think I really like this one too. Was expecting a bit more humor but maybe I haven't played enough of it as I haven't completed many of the goals. But I like the table layout and the theme so far and its been fun to play.

No Good Gofers: Table from 1997. It was on the Williams Collection disc where I've played it before but never really gave it a chance since I found it a bit too complex at the time. But somehow on my first game I blew past the high score without really understanding any of the nuances of the table. I'll have to dive in to this one a bit more and read up on all the goals. I know this one is considered somewhat of a classic.

There are also a number of updates to existing tables and you'll have to re-download them again. Also apparently the October pack table will be the other Elvira table Scared Stiff and an older table Big Shot.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: September 29, 2012, 02:38:11 AM »

God of Blades (5 star review) is all kinds of awesome.  It's Infinity Blade meets endless runner meets 70's pulp fantasy cover/van art.  Absolutely stunning to look at and a hell of a lot of fun to play.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: October 03, 2012, 04:20:35 PM »

Picked up a couple of very fun iPad games this week:

-  Lili:  An action RPG in which combat involves picking flowers from wooden creatures heads.  Seriously.  Yet, it's got a ton of charm, looks fantastic (it's an Unreal engine game), has genuinely funny dialog, and is surprisingly fun to play.  

-  Dungeon Story:  This may be the next Dungeon Raid, if they tweak a few things.  Similar concept (match-3 to battle enemies, match hearts to restore life, etc.), but it has you taking on an increasingly more difficult series of enemies as you go.  Plenty of stats and things to upgrade, and you really get a sense of progression as you go.  The dev is apparently revamping some of the graphics, which will fix a few of the issues.  It takes a while to get used to, but is highly addicting once it clicks.  My current best run is 55 rounds.  smile

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: October 03, 2012, 07:46:30 PM »

Tentacles: Enter the Dolphin, which was originally available on WP7, is coming from Microsoft tonight.

Excellent game, and I'm happy to have it again now that I'm switching to an iPhone (one of these days...c'mon, Best Buy).

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: October 05, 2012, 10:06:02 PM »

The iPad version of the boardgame Alien Frontiers is out today.  $4.99

morlac

View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: October 17, 2012, 09:26:26 AM »

Carmageddon is out today and free for today only. 
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/carmageddon/id498240451?mt=8

morlac00 on PSN
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: October 17, 2012, 01:10:30 PM »

Quote from: morlac on October 17, 2012, 09:26:26 AM

Got it first thing this morning, and I played it immediately.

I have to say, I like it better than the GOG release!  Part of it is that I could never get the graphic tweak settings right on the PC.  But it runs so smoothly on iOS!  And it controls really, really well.  Better than I would have guessed.

My only gripe is that the camera takes a bit of time to swing around behind the car at times, and when an opponent is coming at you, this can be an issue, but so far it's not game breaking.

Go get it!

Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1598 on: October 17, 2012, 02:35:56 PM »

Quote from: morlac on October 17, 2012, 09:26:26 AM

The port to ipad is terrific. I beat the first mission last night by destroying all my opponents.  icon_biggrin I even remembered the football stadium to build up the clock.

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: October 23, 2012, 09:17:03 PM »

Mode 7 (Frozen Synapse dev) sent out a brief update, including an update on the iPad port of Frozen Synapse:
First, a quick update on the iPad version of Frozen Synapse, which many of you have asked about!

We are currently mired in seemingly interminable bug fixing, but I hope to get some kind of meaningful small-scale beta happening soon. No word on release date yet - it depends on how the beta goes.

Im aware that people also want Android and iPhone versions - were actively looking into this and they will happen if the iPad version works out ok.

We are also working on a brand new game and were hoping to announce some details of that in two months or so.

Cheers,

Paul
Mode 7

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 54   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: