http://gamingtrend.com
August 01, 2014, 10:19:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 53   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: iPhone/iTouch app and game thread  (Read 101451 times)
Suitably Ironic Moniker
Gaming Trend Senior Member

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: April 24, 2012, 10:37:44 PM »

You mention the 13th Skull. I think it's nice that you can try out the gameplay before you purchase. It's not really a hassle as long as the full version can be accessed by the app you already downloaded. I do hate having to dl a separate app once I buy it from w/i the game.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: April 24, 2012, 11:24:38 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on April 24, 2012, 09:18:31 PM

edit: the non-snarky response is that generally anything with lite in the name is shareware

Seems like there are fewer and fewer 'lite' labelled apps these days compared to the early app store days.  Now, more and more games have limited introductory content, and then an in-app-purchase to get the rest of the game, i.e., the full game. 

Ghost Trick is one example.  No lite version, and you have to get to the 7th paragraph of the wall of text description to see that only chapters 1 & 2 are free.  How much does it cost for the whole game?  Can't tell from the description.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: April 25, 2012, 01:14:12 AM »

I think the reason there are fewer Lite versions is because that was how people dealt with doing demos back before in-app purchases were possible.  Now with in-app purchases, there really isn't much point in releasing two versions and probably is a lot less work for them to just put out one version now and charge for full content through the app.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: April 25, 2012, 02:31:56 AM »

Quote from: Suitably Ironic Moniker on April 24, 2012, 10:37:44 PM

You mention the 13th Skull. I think it's nice that you can try out the gameplay before you purchase. It's not really a hassle as long as the full version can be accessed by the app you already downloaded. I do hate having to dl a separate app once I buy it from w/i the game.

Pretty much everything from Big Fish has a trial version, on the PC you can play for 60 minutes before you need to quit or pony up the dough, assume it's the same on the iPad.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: April 25, 2012, 02:33:11 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on April 24, 2012, 03:22:12 PM

Quote from: Chaz on April 24, 2012, 02:50:10 PM

Boo, I really despise that "It's free! (except that we don't mention that this is really a shareware version)" practice.  It's a cheap trick.

A lot of times the "top in in-app purchases!" headline helps you spot which apps are only pretend free, but yeah, I agree with you.

I usually notice that kind of thing but for whatever reason this one completely slipped by me.  icon_frown

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #1525 on: April 25, 2012, 12:02:18 PM »

So, Marvel vs Capcom 2 is out today for $2.99. Anyone biting? I love the game....but I worry about the controls. Still, for $2.99 it can't be that bad.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: April 25, 2012, 06:38:44 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on April 25, 2012, 12:02:18 PM

So, Marvel vs Capcom 2 is out today for $2.99. Anyone biting? I love the game....but I worry about the controls. Still, for $2.99 it can't be that bad.

Downloaded it to my iPad2 and gave it a quick try. The controls feel similar to the various Street Fighter games on iPhone/iPad. The touch controls are never going to give the satisfaction of a regular button/pad controller, but it's still very playable. There is an easy assisted mode where the the special moves are executed by single button presses. While MvC2 is a universal app, on the iPad the graphics are still look like a pixel doubled iPhone game. Haven't dug deeper into all the various modes yet but it seems to be a faithful port of the game.
Cragmyre

View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: April 25, 2012, 08:00:39 PM »

Has anyone heard of Codea?  It looks very interesting, though I'm a sucker for all things game-maker smile  Looks like they even came out with a game that was made with Codea itself called Cargo-Bot

I suffer from EGADD - Electronic Gaming Attention Deficit Disorder
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: April 26, 2012, 01:59:49 PM »

Quote from: Cragmyre on April 25, 2012, 08:00:39 PM

Has anyone heard of Codea?  It looks very interesting, though I'm a sucker for all things game-maker smile  Looks like they even came out with a game that was made with Codea itself called Cargo-Bot

That looks pretty neat. It may just be my gateway to convincing myself to buy an Ipad. It probably would require investment into a bluetooth keyboard though. I've tried typing with the Ipad keyboard and I don't see myself using that for anything more than 1-2 lines before going bonkers.

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: April 27, 2012, 06:42:36 PM »

Pinball Arcade added two new tables at some point this month: Medieval Madness and Bride of Pinbot. Can play Medieval Madness for free (with ads).
Cragmyre

View Profile
« Reply #1530 on: May 01, 2012, 04:50:03 AM »

Both Majesty: The Fantasy Kingdom Sim and The 7th Guest are free today!

Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: May 02, 2012, 07:03:26 AM »

Pandemic 2.5 is out on IOS. Adds features (that I don't remember exactly) over the flash version. Is universal I believe. http://appshopper.com/games/pandemic-25

Create a disease... kill off the human race...

SHUT DOWN EVERYTHING!

For .99 cents.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 07:05:28 AM by Jarrodhk » Logged

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: May 02, 2012, 09:16:12 AM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on May 02, 2012, 07:03:26 AM

Pandemic 2.5 is out on IOS. Adds features (that I don't remember exactly) over the flash version. Is universal I believe. http://appshopper.com/games/pandemic-25

Create a disease... kill off the human race...

SHUT DOWN EVERYTHING! (except Madagascar)

For .99 cents.

fixed that for ya
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: May 02, 2012, 11:26:18 AM »

So far in this version, the Caribbean and Greenland have been the most consistently resilient.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: May 07, 2012, 06:13:22 PM »

Tower of Fortune is an absolute blast.  Throw an Rogue-like RPG, a slot machine, and a Gameboy in a blender together, and this is the ridiculously addicting result.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: May 07, 2012, 06:20:36 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on May 07, 2012, 06:13:22 PM

Tower of Fortune is an absolute blast.  Throw an Rogue-like RPG, a slot machine, and a Gameboy in a blender together, and this is the ridiculously addicting result.

Hehe Gratch, I was just about to create a post about this game.  Totally addictive gameplay, and the Gameboy-esque nostalgia graphics are great.  I was a little confused at first, couldn't figure out how to actually start the adventure, you have to touch the piece of the tower you want to go in.  Might have been obvious to anyone else but I thought I'd mention it.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: May 07, 2012, 07:50:38 PM »

Man, gold gets ridiculously hard to come by at the higher levels.  Trying to unlock The Bridge, but have been stuck in the $2K range for ages.

Cragmyre

View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: May 09, 2012, 05:12:18 PM »

In case anyone is interested, Gamebook 6 - The Wizard from Tarnath Tor by TinMan Games is on sale today for .99.  Sales on these books only last a day or two and they are normally $4.99

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: May 10, 2012, 06:06:57 PM »

Luxor Evolved is a very fun take on the Zuma (i.e. marble shooter) formula.  My only gripe is that it seems very touchy...I often end up firing marbles unintentionally when things start moving fast.

(Go ahead...make the joke)

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: May 15, 2012, 03:12:00 AM »

Ooh... Neuroshima Hex asynchronous multiplayer is out for certification.  This could be dangerous.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: May 16, 2012, 03:26:18 PM »

Juggernaut:  Revenge of Sovering is a free to play RPG that's quite fun.  I hear there's a pretty massive IAP wall towards the end, but I've certainly had lots of fun without paying a dime so far.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: May 18, 2012, 01:47:55 PM »

If you're even a casual soccer fan, you need to check out Score! Classic Goals for a buck.  It's basically a soccer puzzle game where you recreate classic goals from international competition using a line drawing system.  It's all kinds of awesome.

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: May 18, 2012, 05:59:37 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on May 10, 2012, 06:06:57 PM

Luxor Evolved is a very fun take on the Zuma (i.e. marble shooter) formula.  My only gripe is that it seems very touchy...I often end up firing marbles unintentionally when things start moving fast.

(Go ahead...make the joke)

Premature emarbulation!!!  Chortle snort chortle!!! 

I'll have to check that out, though the original Zuma is already out and plays really well...
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: May 25, 2012, 03:37:17 AM »

Pinball Arcade released 2 new tables for the app. Cirqus Voltaire, which you can play for free now (with ads), and Funhouse. I hadn't played Cirqus Voltaire before and wow that's just a fantastic table. Would love to play the real table. Funhouse I've played from the Williams Collection and it never clicked with me - still got it. Both tables are $3 individually or you can get both together for $5

The company is also starting a Kickstarter to help fund making the Twilight Zone table. Basically the licensing required for that table is crazy expensive, $55,000, so the Kickstarter is just funding that portion of it . Can read about it on their kickstarter page here: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1067367405/pinball-arcade-the-twilight-zone?ref=live

I think I've played the table once or twice back when I didn't really get pinball so I'll put in $10.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: May 25, 2012, 08:29:25 AM »

Rebuild is pretty awesome and on sale.  Zombie survival strategy
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #1545 on: May 25, 2012, 03:34:33 PM »

Apple starting free app of the week program.

http://toucharcade.com/2012/05/24/apple-starts-their-own-free-app-of-the-week-promotion/

This week is Cut the Rope: Experiments
Cragmyre

View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: June 01, 2012, 02:48:26 PM »

Today Rimelands : Hammer of Thor went on sale for .99 - I heard it was a really good turn based RPG.  There is also a lite version for those that want to try it first. smile

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: June 01, 2012, 03:33:51 PM »

Quote from: Cragmyre on June 01, 2012, 02:48:26 PM

Today Rimelands : Hammer of Thor went on sale for .99 - I heard it was a really good turn based RPG.  There is also a lite version for those that want to try it first. smile

I really enjoyed Rimelands.  Hopefully they fixed the completely broken ending.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: June 04, 2012, 02:26:14 PM »

Dungeon Village from Kairosoft has finally hit iOS.  It takes the Game Dev Story formula and applies it to developing a medieval village.  Feels a bit like Majesty in that you don't have any direct control over the heroes but set their general direction.  I'm a bit baffled on many of the gameplay mechanics though, and the lack of any sort of tutorial makes for some tough sledding.  Still, it's awfully addictive and looks like it has a ton of potential...assuming I can figure out what the hell I'm doing.

Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: June 04, 2012, 09:29:54 PM »

Quote from: Crawley on May 25, 2012, 03:37:17 AM

The company is also starting a Kickstarter to help fund making the Twilight Zone table. Basically the licensing required for that table is crazy expensive, $55,000, so the Kickstarter is just funding that portion of it . Can read about it on their kickstarter page here: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1067367405/pinball-arcade-the-twilight-zone?ref=live

They met their $55,000 goal but have added an additional incentive. If they double the goal they'll also do the Star Trek: Next Generation table.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1550 on: June 08, 2012, 11:58:40 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on June 04, 2012, 02:26:14 PM

Dungeon Village from Kairosoft has finally hit iOS.  It takes the Game Dev Story formula and applies it to developing a medieval village.  Feels a bit like Majesty in that you don't have any direct control over the heroes but set their general direction.  I'm a bit baffled on many of the gameplay mechanics though, and the lack of any sort of tutorial makes for some tough sledding.  Still, it's awfully addictive and looks like it has a ton of potential...assuming I can figure out what the hell I'm doing.

I've been lukewarm on previous Kairosoft titles (Game Dev Story, Oh Edo Towns, etc.), but Dungeon Village has jumped into my top 5 favorite iOS games of all time.  It's such a simple concept, but is so brilliantly executed that I simply cannot stop playing.  If you have even a passing interest in their formula, this one is an absolute must-buy.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: June 10, 2012, 01:44:13 AM »

Random thought:  how in the world have the Heroes of Might & Magic games not made an appearance on iOS yet?  Porting over the first 3 HOMM games seems like the biggest no-brained ever.

Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1552 on: June 10, 2012, 02:48:00 AM »

Uplink is now available for the IPad. It's still just as much fun as it used to be, even if it isn't so futuristic, taking place in 2010.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1553 on: June 11, 2012, 03:21:31 AM »

I never played the PC version of Uplink, but I'm really enjoying the iPad version so far.  Are the versions much different?  I almost want to double dip and get the Steam version, too.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1554 on: June 11, 2012, 03:37:12 AM »

They are identical, aside from the touch interface. I don't believe there is any new content.

Jag

View Profile
« Reply #1555 on: June 11, 2012, 05:16:49 PM »

Padd Trek is free today. Remake of those old trek games us elder folk played on mainframes.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1556 on: June 11, 2012, 05:33:51 PM »

I thought there was a newer version of Uplink on PC. I shall check!

edit: I may have been thinking of Hacker Evolution, more digging required!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 05:37:37 PM by Harkonis » Logged
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #1557 on: June 11, 2012, 06:56:02 PM »

Uplink is quite good and has sucked up an inordinate amount of my time since it was released.  Never played it on PC so I'm enjoying this a lot.  The permadeath with no warning is pretty hardcore and annoying though.  Gotta work harder to cover my logs!

RealMyst is coming out on Thursday for ipad 2 and 3.  Really looking forward to it.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1558 on: June 11, 2012, 09:58:59 PM »

I'm fine with the permadeath--and it seems like a key ingredient in making those trace countdowns feel nail biting tense--but I really wish the death screen gave you more insight into how you were caught so you could better learn from mistakes. Maybe even make it so your next character had to hack the company that ousted your last one to find the records on how they found your previous guy.

How similar is Hacker Elite to Uplink?
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1559 on: June 12, 2012, 12:22:14 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on June 11, 2012, 09:58:59 PM

I'm fine with the permadeath--and it seems like a key ingredient in making those trace countdowns feel nail biting tense--but I really wish the death screen gave you more insight into how you were caught so you could better learn from mistakes. Maybe even make it so your next character had to hack the company that ousted your last one to find the records on how they found your previous guy.

How similar is Hacker Elite to Uplink?

quite similar yet pretty different.  I definitely suggest trying a demo for one of them.  It also drastically changes from Hacker Elite to Hacker Evolution Duality.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 53   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: