http://gamingtrend.com
November 23, 2014, 05:57:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 54   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: iPhone/iTouch app and game thread  (Read 109567 times)
Victoria Raverna (+ 1 Hidden) and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.
wonderpug
Gaming Trend Senior Member

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: December 18, 2011, 08:19:04 PM »

Someone please tell me more about Ascension.  Is it single player or multi?  If both, will my experience suffer if I only intend to play it single player?  How much am I going to be pressured into doing in-app purchases--can I gain new cards or booster decks or however it's set up just by playing the game?  How is the AI?
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: December 18, 2011, 11:25:14 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on December 18, 2011, 08:19:04 PM

Someone please tell me more about Ascension.  Is it single player or multi?  If both, will my experience suffer if I only intend to play it single player?  How much am I going to be pressured into doing in-app purchases--can I gain new cards or booster decks or however it's set up just by playing the game?  How is the AI?

There's only one expansion (and it's worth it), but no pressure and no IAP.

It is both single and multi, but I've only done MP once or twice and I play it all the time.  It's probably my most played iPad boardgame (and I have a lot of them).  Honestly, I don't love the real-world version that much, and if Dominion ever comes out and is good (or Thunderstone, for that matter), I'll probably move on from it, but it's a very well done app.  It has just the right rhythm and takes just the right amount of time to play.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: December 19, 2011, 01:42:22 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on December 18, 2011, 11:25:14 PM

It's probably my most played iPad boardgame (and I have a lot of them). 

This. Moose speaks truth. I play mostly single player, but also do pass and play with my son. I love this game, and have described it as the CCG for people that hate CCGs (because there is no collectible aspect). Once you know how to play and know the cards, it plays very fast. It is a bit like playing traditional solitaire, in that there is a lot of luck. It really is about making the best of what cards you get dealt at any particular moment. I've played dozens of games and never get tired of it. If you do get it, don't get the expansion right away. I would play a bunch of games until you have had your fill of the basic set, then you can add the expansion for a bunch of new wrinkles.

There are a bunch of these games on the way to iOS. I'm looking forward to trying more of them.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 01:44:19 AM by Misguided » Logged

Ruining language with my terrible words.
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1363 on: December 22, 2011, 02:41:43 AM »

iMame is now available on the App store and you need to get it quick before it is taken down.  The price is free and they've already found ways of loading ROMS to it.
It also supports the iCade.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: December 22, 2011, 02:29:11 PM »

I did grab Ascension (thanks for the info) and while I'm enjoying it, I feel like the app does too poor a job informing you of what your opponent is doing.  In the tutorial, it says "you should banish that monster because your opponent is going with a combat heavy deck!" but in reality you never really know what your opponent's deck is like unless you get in the habit of reading the action log.

Other video game card games I've played take at least a split second to zoom in on the card your opponent plays or collects, so you always know what's happening and why.

I do like the game mechanics, though, but I just wish I had more of an impetus for varying my strategy based on the other players' strategies.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1365 on: December 22, 2011, 03:02:19 PM »

Quote from: shon on December 22, 2011, 02:41:43 AM

iMame is now available on the App store and you need to get it quick before it is taken down.  The price is free and they've already found ways of loading ROMS to it.
It also supports the iCade.

Grabbed iMame, but iCade support is icing on the cake... need to order one next paycheck.
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: December 22, 2011, 03:20:31 PM »

I can't find any roms. Can someone PM me?
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: December 22, 2011, 04:26:30 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on December 22, 2011, 02:29:11 PM

I did grab Ascension (thanks for the info) and while I'm enjoying it, I feel like the app does too poor a job informing you of what your opponent is doing.  In the tutorial, it says "you should banish that monster because your opponent is going with a combat heavy deck!" but in reality you never really know what your opponent's deck is like unless you get in the habit of reading the action log.

Other video game card games I've played take at least a split second to zoom in on the card your opponent plays or collects, so you always know what's happening and why.

I do like the game mechanics, though, but I just wish I had more of an impetus for varying my strategy based on the other players' strategies.

Not only can you watch your opponents actions, but you can review their deck during the game.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: December 22, 2011, 04:53:57 PM »

True about reviewing their deck, but as far as viewing their actions, it's just a blur of card icons shifting around and whirling into the void or discard piles.  Like, if something is played that makes me discard one construct, if I have multiple constructs it's clear what's happening because I have to actively choose one, but if I only have one the game will assume that's what has to be discarded and unless I spot a little icon whizzing out from the bottom left corner I might not even notice I just lost my construct.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: December 22, 2011, 04:55:22 PM »

Wonderpug, you can slow down the animation speed.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: December 22, 2011, 05:11:10 PM »

Here's another example.  The AI choose a card from the center.  If it takes a card you had your eye on, then you may clearly know what they took, but otherwise, even on the slowest game and animation speeds, all you'll be able to catch is that they took the 2nd card, or the 4th, or whatever.  Wait, what card was that?  Who knows, because you can no longer zoom in on it. 

Sure, as you get better at recognizing the art you can still catch what card was taken, but why should you have to eye it as it's running away?  In other games, the animation would zoom in on the card briefly before it went into the AI's deck, or in some other way make it clear what card the AI is taking.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: December 22, 2011, 07:29:17 PM »

I have to say, I understand why you would want everything you're describing, but for me, it would ruin the flow of the game and would largely be unnecessary.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: December 22, 2011, 10:24:24 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on December 22, 2011, 07:29:17 PM

I have to say, I understand why you would want everything you're describing, but for me, it would ruin the flow of the game and would largely be unnecessary.

Well I don't want to blab about this too long and blow it out of proportion (because again, I am enjoying the game), but if you play without really knowing what your opponent is doing, you might as well not even have an opponent playing the game.  You could roll a die to randomly determine the score needed to win at the end and you'd have largely the same experience.
Cragmyre

View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: January 06, 2012, 07:03:36 PM »

So, despite iPad3 coming out soon, I got an iPad2 for Christmas.  So far I got myself Small Worlds, Ascension, Shadow Era, and Zombie Dice.  This game Journey of Fortune: Dragon's Fire looks interesting.  Anyone try it?  Also, what other board/card games are must buys?  I'm thinking of Neuroshima Hex and Necronomicon Redux.

I suffer from EGADD - Electronic Gaming Attention Deficit Disorder
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: January 06, 2012, 07:15:16 PM »

Definitely the last two.

Also look at Carcassonne, Elder Scroll Sign, Small World, Bang and Ticket to Ride.

And if you like Reiner Knizia, the man has just about exploded all over the app store.

For more suggestions: BGG and iPadBoardGames
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 04:18:32 AM by Bullwinkle » Logged

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1375 on: January 06, 2012, 08:53:18 PM »

Quote from: Cragmyre on January 06, 2012, 07:03:36 PM

So, despite iPad3 coming out soon, I got an iPad2 for Christmas.  So far I got myself Small Worlds, Ascension, Shadow Era, and Zombie Dice.  This game Journey of Fortune: Dragon's Fire looks interesting.  Anyone try it?  Also, what other board/card games are must buys?  I'm thinking of Neuroshima Hex and Necronomicon Redux.

Journey of Fortune looks intriguing, but didn't get very good reviews

Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: January 07, 2012, 12:43:01 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on January 06, 2012, 07:15:16 PM

Definitely the last two.

Also look at Carcassonne, Elder Scroll, Small World, Bang and Ticket to Ride.

And if you like Reiner Knizia, the man has just about exploded all over the app store.

Elder SIGN. You did it again slywink.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: January 07, 2012, 04:17:49 AM »

Quote from: Suitably Ironic Moniker on January 07, 2012, 12:43:01 AM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on January 06, 2012, 07:15:16 PM

Definitely the last two.

Also look at Carcassonne, Elder Scroll, Small World, Bang and Ticket to Ride.

Elder SIGN. You did it again slywink.

Damnit!   crybaby

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: January 08, 2012, 11:19:31 PM »

My favorite CCG-esque game remains Kard Combat, particularly for asynchronous play.  In many ways it's the simplest of all of the currently available games, but the strategy plus randomness make it deeper than it might appear on the surface.  I've played a few hundred matches now counting AI and humans, and it's interesting how things can play out so differently depending on what cards you draw, which specialty you pick and who your opponent is and what he is playing.  There are certainly some overpowered combos, but the randomness of whether you'll be able to pull them off is part of what makes the game fun.  I hope they continue to expand the game with more cards.  Even a few would be great.

- - -

An interesting recent release is Legendary Heroes.  It's clearly intended to be a League of Legends type of clone, but because there is no multiplayer at present it plays more like a cross between Battleheart and a bot match in LoL.  You essentially can swap between 3 champs during a match, and choose from a small selection each match.  The campaign is a linear series of matches.  Each champ levels up on its own scale similar to Battleheart, but unlocks skills similar to LoL (4 total special skills).  The game has a lot of potential, but there are lots of things to work on.  The AI is clunky at best and the item system is horrible.  Like LoL you have to buy as you play for items and they are gone when used or a match ends.  Unlike LoL the money system is cumulative and slow to build up unless you spend real money, so tying the item system into that is a poor decision.  Overall kind of fun and certainly LoL fans will get a kick out of it, but not nearly as polished as Battleheart.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: January 09, 2012, 01:23:13 AM »

Having a lot of fun with Bang! and it's on sale for a buck right now.  Would be fun to have more people to play with  ninja

Cabals is a lot of fun too.  Both of these games have cross platform play with PC too.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1380 on: January 09, 2012, 03:19:53 AM »

What's the full name for Bang?  I almost bought the cartoony bomb dropping game.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: January 09, 2012, 03:27:49 AM »

Bang!
Cragmyre

View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: January 09, 2012, 04:27:47 AM »

The way I'm "trying" to budget myself is to enter an iTunes card once a month.  So, this doesn't leave me a lot left at this time.  I'm torn between Forbidden Island and Neuroshima Hex - and all the other suggestions here  crybaby

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: January 09, 2012, 02:08:38 PM »

I'm ridiculously addicted to Bang! now.  Tempted to buy it on PC as well, but the PC one is $9 O_o
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: January 09, 2012, 03:29:35 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on January 09, 2012, 03:27:49 AM

Bang!

So you mean the game "Bang!" by Tyrone Beltramo involving cartoon bombs and anvils dropping, and not "BANG! the Official Video Game" by SpinVector s.r.l. involving a Spaghetti Western board game?
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: January 09, 2012, 08:47:51 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on January 09, 2012, 03:29:35 PM

Bang!

So you mean the game "Bang!" by Tyrone Beltramo involving cartoon bombs and anvils dropping, and not "BANG! the Official Video Game" by SpinVector s.r.l. involving a Spaghetti Western board game?

Not at all.  It's a Spaghetti Western card game.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: January 10, 2012, 01:48:35 AM »

Tell that to whoever wrote the app store description!
Cragmyre

View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: January 11, 2012, 04:02:02 PM »

Anyone know of a really good Jigsaw Puzzle app?

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: January 11, 2012, 07:57:40 PM »

If you're looking for a good timewaster, Planet Minesweeper is free today.  It's basic Minesweeper, but on a spherical grid.  Pretty entertaining.

Cragmyre

View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: January 11, 2012, 08:10:18 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on January 11, 2012, 07:57:40 PM

If you're looking for a good timewaster, Planet Minesweeper is free today.  It's basic Minesweeper, but on a spherical grid.  Pretty entertaining.

I still want a Jigsaw puzzle program smile  but I grabbed Planet Minesweeper too.  How did you hear about it?  AppShopper doesn't have it listed as a price drop/new listing.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: January 11, 2012, 08:48:20 PM »

I somehow found myself on IGN's mobile site this afternoon and they mentioned it.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: January 11, 2012, 10:05:43 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on January 09, 2012, 03:29:35 PM

Bang!

it's the western card game of the italian pasta variety
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: January 12, 2012, 06:59:21 AM »

Quote from: Cragmyre on January 11, 2012, 08:10:18 PM

Quote from: Gratch on January 11, 2012, 07:57:40 PM

If you're looking for a good timewaster, Planet Minesweeper is free today.  It's basic Minesweeper, but on a spherical grid.  Pretty entertaining.

I still want a Jigsaw puzzle program smile  but I grabbed Planet Minesweeper too.  How did you hear about it?  AppShopper doesn't have it listed as a price drop/new listing.

I saw it on Appshopper. Unfortunately, playing it makes me queasy.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 07:02:46 AM by Misguided » Logged

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: January 12, 2012, 07:10:46 PM »

Big thumbs up for Hero Academy:

http://toucharcade.com/2011/11/17/robot-entertainment-announces-first-ios-game-hero-academy/

This may be (or may become) the best asynch game for mobile gaming yet. Assuming you like FF-Tactics type of games, that is. It's really a hybrid cross between HOMM, FFT, Archon and Kard Combat/Words with Friends. The main battlefield is a very simple grid with hotspots that give boosts. You "draw" pieces which are either units or spells or items to put on units. Each player turn you get 5 moves which consist of either movement or attack or cast. You can move and/or attack with the same unit multiple times in one turn.

The graphics are great, the gameplay feels simple but solid, and even though it's pretty early to tell, it appears to be fairly well balanced and offers a lot of tactical and strategic possibility. Only thing missing is a SP mode.

Fire a game up with rittchard, skystride or forge
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: January 12, 2012, 07:24:19 PM »

I'm also playing HA

I like Bang! better, but it's not asynchronous so I'm not able to get anyone playing with me.
Cragmyre

View Profile
« Reply #1395 on: January 12, 2012, 07:33:27 PM »

For any that is interested, I see on the AppShopper app that Majesty is on sale for .99 today.

kathode

View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: January 13, 2012, 06:29:20 PM »

Anyone else still playing Ravenmark?  I cannot get past the level with the suicide bomber demon things.  Anyone beyond that point?
Enigma
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: January 13, 2012, 06:51:50 PM »

Snowboard Hero looks cool and is .99 today.  I gave it a shot.  Downloading now.

Now Playing:
PS3: Demon Souls
PC:   Diablo III, Saints Row 3, Anno 1404 (Dawn of Discovery)
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: January 13, 2012, 07:05:57 PM »

Quote from: kathode on January 13, 2012, 06:29:20 PM

Anyone else still playing Ravenmark?  I cannot get past the level with the suicide bomber demon things.  Anyone beyond that point?

That level got mentioned in an interview or developer commentary recently.  It should be made easier in an upcoming patch.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: January 19, 2012, 02:48:20 PM »

Tiny Heroes is free today.  I'm not big on tower defense games, but it's gotten great reviews.  Might be worth a look.

Time of Heroes also came out last night, and looks pretty interesting.  It's basically a Fire Emblem (i.e. TBS) clone, but seems to be very well done.  Only $.99 for the next couple days.

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 54   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: