http://gamingtrend.com
September 03, 2014, 03:34:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 54   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: iPhone/iTouch app and game thread  (Read 103935 times)
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: October 14, 2011, 12:45:05 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on October 14, 2011, 12:26:23 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on October 12, 2011, 03:31:40 PM

Quote from: Gratch on October 10, 2011, 09:12:32 PM

While I'm not big on the Tower Defense genre, I have to admit that Siegecraft looks pretty cool. 

They get bonus nostalgia points for the "Crossbows & Catapults" branding.   icon_cool

yeah, it does look pretty neat.  I just saw it's out today for 99 cents.

Wasn't all that impressed with it.  The core concept is decent enough, but aiming the catapult is incredibly difficult.  Especially since you're on a time limit of sort with the onrushing hordes.  Not nearly as much fun as I was expecting.

I agree that the controls could be refined more, but I'm still having fun with it.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: October 17, 2011, 05:22:33 PM »

If you're looking for a fun .99 time waster, be sure to check out Cashing King.  It's a fun mix of RPG and slot machine that works remarkably well.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: October 17, 2011, 05:46:50 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on October 17, 2011, 05:22:33 PM

If you're looking for a fun .99 time waster, be sure to check out Cashing King.  It's a fun mix of RPG and slot machine that works remarkably well.

Oh no, this looks like something I'm going to love!

- - -

In the mean time, I'll make another plug for Dragonvale.  I can't explain it but I keep wanting to go back to see how all my dragons are doing.  And then wanting to breed new cooler dragons.  Naming them after GTers and Wanderers gives that extra edge of disturbing fun.  Poor Ceekay keeps getting bred (he's a lightning dragon I think) but he seems to always produce good eggs.
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: October 17, 2011, 05:55:23 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on October 17, 2011, 05:46:50 PM

Naming them after GTers and Wanderers gives that extra edge of disturbing fun.  Poor Ceekay keeps getting bred (he's a lightning dragon I think) but he seems to always produce good eggs.

That is wrong on so many levels  icon_lol
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: October 18, 2011, 05:54:24 PM »

Ack this is terribly addictive lol, thanks Gratch!!!!
KC

View Profile
« Reply #1245 on: October 18, 2011, 09:40:53 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on October 18, 2011, 05:54:24 PM

I picked this up too. The first hour was fun, but it became a grindfest with no skill required. Just keep grinding and you will max out your weapons and win. It was fun for a .99 game though.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: October 19, 2011, 01:54:14 PM »

Quote from: KC on October 18, 2011, 09:40:53 PM

I picked this up too. The first hour was fun, but it became a grindfest with no skill required. Just keep grinding and you will max out your weapons and win. It was fun for a .99 game though.

Yeah, there never really is any skill required, but it's a fun concept that works very well.  Beat it this morning and had a blast all the way through.  Definitely worth .99

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: October 19, 2011, 08:41:04 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on October 19, 2011, 01:54:14 PM

Quote from: KC on October 18, 2011, 09:40:53 PM

Yeah, there never really is any skill required, but it's a fun concept that works very well.  Beat it this morning and had a blast all the way through.  Definitely worth .99

I'm really enjoying it - I don't agree that it's necessarily "no skill required" - you still have to make choices as to what weapons and specials to use and how/what to focus on to optimize (or not).  Now granted eventually you can grind your way through mindlessly and make it through, but putting some thought into it can improve the experience.  Obviously I'm not a pro though because I'm taking far longer to make it through, and the bigger bosses have beat me numerous times.  Maybe I'm missing some key piece but I feel like my setup is really good.  All 3 5-star weapons, all party at level 4, 2 boosts to enemies showing up, and 1 boost for more archers.  I still haven't been able to beat the last 2 enemies though.  I'm also wondering how people could be making it through the whole thing in like 80 days/turns.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: October 29, 2011, 03:13:11 AM »

Mika Mobile has a new game out today; Zombieville USA 2.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: October 30, 2011, 04:41:52 PM »

If you want some good, old fashioned, hack-n-slashy goodness, give Pocket RPG a look.  Can't go wrong for just a buck.  smile

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: October 31, 2011, 05:29:55 PM »

Zombieville USA 2 is a lot of fun but I kind of stink at it.  I wish they'd reward you a bit better or made the earlier portion easier, because I can't get past the first couple maps...

- - -

My new obsession is a slightly older game called Battle Fury Pro.  It's a free to play type, though you'll find another version for $8.99 that people claim is the exact same game.  It's essentially similar to that old Mobster and/or Vampire browser game on Facebook, I don't really know what you call those types of games.  But the twist is instead of battles being resolved automatically, you have the opportunity to fight them out in simple turn-based combat similar to FFT or maybe HOMM is a better analogy.  Each quest has a limit of number of people you can bring and then you fight it in a very simple grid structure, no special terrain or whatnot.  You manage your squad members and their items in the metagame.

It's really very simple and there are some silly game mechanics but I'm really enjoying it.  You can name all your squad members, equip them with loot, and "upgrade" them after they hit level 5 (this is the weirdest thing, the upgrade seems to just replace the character with a new level 1 of whatever class you choose, the only thing retained seems to be the name).  As much as I love FFT, it's almost like it's too "deep" for me on a mobile platform.  Similar to Kard Combat, this is a really stripped down version where all you are doing is micromanaging characters levelling up (as well as your own main level), and then the individual battles.  You can also choose to run them on auto and the AI does a decent job for you.  If I'm just grinding for easy cash/xp I redo old fights and let the AI handle it.  New/tough fights I manage on my own.  Every time you level up (I think), seems like another class unlocks - the ad claims there are dozens.

One thing you may not like is that healer classes are OP, though it does make for an amusing battle.  I had one where I had given up, there were 3 guys on my one new healer chick.  They each took turns hitting her and would get a small amount of retaliation.  Then on her turn she'd just heal up.  It went on for like 20 cycles until they started dying lol.

Also because it's free there's ad banners, which I just ignore.  There's also an energy mechanic so after you fight a number of battles you have to wait real time to recharge or else use someone else in your squad.  I assume this is part of the money making scheme but thus far it hasn't impacted the way I play.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: October 31, 2011, 06:23:00 PM »

Ritt loves OP healers...
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: October 31, 2011, 07:01:06 PM »

Picked up Galaxy on Fire 2 HD, a special iPad2/4S-only version they made.  Probably the best Elite/Privateer clone out there, or at least the one everyone talks about.  The HD version looks amazing.  It's a little slow to get off the ground as you start off with a really crappy ship with very limited options, but upgrading and doing missions is a lot of fun.

Also, don't miss Mage Gauntlet, a really great game that sits right alongside Zelda and Secret of Mana in playstyle and look.  A nice story with a lot of humor unfolds as you play, and there are a ton of different spell abilities to try out.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: November 01, 2011, 01:07:34 PM »

Wizardry:  Labyrinth of Lost Souls is apparently hitting this week.  Did anyone try this on PSN?  Is it worth the $10?

Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: November 02, 2011, 01:48:20 AM »

King of Dragon Pass is on sale for $5.99 down from $9.99.

ras752000
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: November 02, 2011, 05:00:32 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on November 01, 2011, 01:07:34 PM

Wizardry:  Labyrinth of Lost Souls is apparently hitting this week.  Did anyone try this on PSN?  Is it worth the $10?
I tried the demo on psn and was extremely underwhelmed.  Maybe just too old school for me.

PSN=ras752000
Steam=ras752000gt
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: November 02, 2011, 01:07:39 PM »

Maybe this is it's own topic, but I think this might be the first year where the majority of my gaming time has been spent with iOS games instead of the "big boy" consoles or PC's.  Partly because portable gaming fits my crazy schedule significantly better (I typically don't have time to sit down and dedicate 30-60 minutes to a game anymore), but mainly because there have been loads of absolutely incredible games released for the platform.   It used to be that iOS gaming felt very throwaway or casual.  While there are still plenty of games that fit that bill, we've seen a huge upswing of games that are every bit as engaging as their counterparts on other platforms.  Combine that with the fact that you can get just as much gameplay for $1-2 as you can for many games that are $60, and I'm seeing a fairly massive shift in my gaming habits this year.

Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: November 03, 2011, 03:59:03 AM »

I agree; those reasons, plus my my gaming budget having dropped significantly in the past 4 months, has pushed me to gaming on my IPad and iPhone a lot more.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: November 03, 2011, 04:11:43 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on November 02, 2011, 01:07:39 PM

Combine that with the fact that you can get just as much gameplay for $1-2 as you can for many games that are $60

I strongly disagree with this.  I have yet to play any iOS game that compares to a nicely done $60 game, unless it was a remake of a top-tier game like a Final Fantasy Tactics or something like that.  They're nice diversions for about 5 minutes, usually, but they just don't grab me like an Uncharted, Legend of Zelda, Elder Scrolls.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1259 on: November 03, 2011, 05:04:47 AM »

Amen. These are "on the pooper" games.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #1260 on: November 03, 2011, 05:23:00 PM »

Just got Poker Pals.  It's a fun puzzle game which is sort of a cross between Scrabble and Sword & Poker.  It can be played asynchronously like Words with Friends.  If anyone wants to play, I'm skystride on Game Center.

I'm trying to find a game that was popular a while back.  I think you played a party of characters like in a MMO with the holy trinity of classes.  I think it was 2D with a look like Castle Crashers.  Anyone care to guess what this game was called?
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: November 03, 2011, 05:43:33 PM »

Quote from: skystride on November 03, 2011, 05:23:00 PM

Just got Poker Pals.  It's a fun puzzle game which is sort of a cross between Scrabble and Sword & Poker.  It can be played asynchronously like Words with Friends.  If anyone wants to play, I'm skystride on Game Center.

I'm trying to find a game that was popular a while back.  I think you played a party of characters like in a MMO with the holy trinity of classes.  I think it was 2D with a look like Castle Crashers.  Anyone care to guess what this game was called?

Sweet, I knew I forgot to DL something last night.  Looks like I can get it over 3G.

The one you are looking for I think is Pocket Legends but I'm not 100% sure.  There's another similar one called Pocket RPG but I think that's pretty new.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: November 03, 2011, 06:09:25 PM »

Battleheart?
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: November 03, 2011, 06:29:52 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on November 03, 2011, 06:09:25 PM

Battleheart?

Thanks Hark, that's the one.  Seems like everyone was playing it a while back.  Does it not hold up?  Would you still recommend it?
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: November 03, 2011, 06:35:13 PM »

It's worth playing.  They have added classes and stuff since launch too.  Most of the original problems were sorted out.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: November 03, 2011, 07:30:15 PM »

Yeah, definitely worth getting.  I don't think it has the biggest replay value, hence the discussion dying off, but it's good fun.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: November 03, 2011, 08:08:21 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on November 03, 2011, 05:43:33 PM

There's another similar one called Pocket RPG but I think that's pretty new.

Just finished Pocket RPG this afternoon (as the melee class) and had an absolute blast with it.  It uses an interesting mechanic of breaking the game down into individual "adventures", and you start over at Level 1 every time with no equipment.  However, you do maintain all your skills, as well as the weapons you "train" in, which dictates what you can get as loot drops.  Each adventure typically takes you through 3-4 randomly generated levels, with mid-bosses on each level and a final boss at the end.   You can gain achievements (i.e. kill all enemies on the map, gain 10 levels, etc.) during the quest, which give you additional gold and XP at the end of the adventure.  Each class plays very differently, with the Warrior as standard melee (d-pad + attack button) the Ranger as a dual stick shooter, and the mage as....something I haven't tried yet.  Probably took me around 6 hours to play through with the Warrior class, and there's plenty of replay value.

All in all, I think this was the best hack-n-slash game I've played on the iPhone so far - a solid A.  That said, it's looking like Mage Gauntlet might give it a run for it's money.  Very cool in a retro sort of way.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: November 03, 2011, 10:16:21 PM »

Elder Scrolls Sign: Omens just came out (and an HD version for iPad).

We just started playing the board game this weekend.  It's the most accessible of the Arkham games.  Still complicated, and there's certainly more luck involved than some people like, but it's pretty damned good.

Haven't tried the IOS version yet (which is supposed to be a little different), but it's getting stellar reviews from the BGG crowd.  Gamezebo also gave it 4.5/5 stars.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 11:40:55 PM by Bullwinkle » Logged

kathode

View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: November 03, 2011, 10:56:19 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on November 03, 2011, 10:16:21 PM

Elder Scrolls: Omens just came out (and an HD version for iPad).

lol, how about Elder Sign: Omens?  Still looks cool but I got excited there for a second smile
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: November 03, 2011, 11:40:25 PM »

Quote from: kathode on November 03, 2011, 10:56:19 PM

Elder Scrolls: Omens just came out (and an HD version for iPad).

lol, how about Elder Sign: Omens?  Still looks cool but I got excited there for a second smile

Oops, yeah.  I have Scrolls on the brain.

Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1270 on: November 03, 2011, 11:57:44 PM »

Wizardry is a port of the PS3 version.  It differs from the original games in MANY ways.

1)  you create a 'main' character then formulate your party.  Each 'main' character has a plotline.

2)  You don't roll dice for your stats, you point-build, similar to D&D Online.

3)  The game is VERY heavily based around in-app purchases.  Want more points for your character?  Buy a potion.  Want more gold?  They'll let you buy it.  Each set of dungeons is apparently going to be an in-app purchase as well. 

It's not a horrible game, but it's not Wizardry as I remember it.  Get the free demo, but wait on a sale to get the full version.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: November 04, 2011, 12:17:00 AM »

We just started playing the board game this weekend.  It's the most accessible of the Arkham games.  Still complicated, and there's certainly more luck involved than some people like, but it's pretty damned good.

Haven't tried the IOS version yet (which is supposed to be a little different), but it's getting stellar reviews from the BGG crowd.  Gamezebo also gave it 4.5/5 stars.

I own the dice game and bought this on iOS.  Definitely a good version of it with some nice artwork from the game.  Shame it only has one Ancient One to fight, but they picked that one that if you awaken it, it ends the game, so I suppose it was the easiest to code.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: November 04, 2011, 12:26:32 AM »

Quote from: Zarkon on November 03, 2011, 11:57:44 PM

Wizardry is a port of the PS3 version.  It differs from the original games in MANY ways.

1)  you create a 'main' character then formulate your party.  Each 'main' character has a plotline.

2)  You don't roll dice for your stats, you point-build, similar to D&D Online.

3)  The game is VERY heavily based around in-app purchases.  Want more points for your character?  Buy a potion.  Want more gold?  They'll let you buy it.  Each set of dungeons is apparently going to be an in-app purchase as well. 

It's not a horrible game, but it's not Wizardry as I remember it.  Get the free demo, but wait on a sale to get the full version.

I tried this a bit today, and being a fan of the original Wizardry since high school, wanted so much to like it.  Unfortunately thus far it's pretty horrible.  It's actually pretty close to Wizardry as I remember it (the original game) with updated graphics.  You make your party and then venture in to explore.  The character creation is fairly seamless.  They do give you some quest or something but other than that it's just head down and dungeon crawl, which is all you did in the original game.

Here's where the problem begins, the core of the game is the dungeon dive, but it's just terrible.  There's no automap which is a throwback to the original I guess.  That would be fine, but the opening section is so messed up I was lost within a few seconds and suddenly encountering crap 3 or 4 levels above my party.  Not sure if this was intentional or if I made an error.  Even that would be OK if I could find my path back, but I kept getting stuck in some weird spot where everything was just blacked out.  I might start over again from scratch, I don't know.  I do remember the original game being difficult, and doing cheesy things like making characters and stealing their starter gold and then destroying them.  Ahhhh old school! 
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: November 04, 2011, 01:49:32 AM »

Quote from: Zarkon on November 03, 2011, 11:57:44 PM

They're making this an IAP-focused game, yet still charging $10?  Yeah, good luck with that.

Here's where the problem begins, the core of the game is the dungeon dive, but it's just terrible.  There's no automap which is a throwback to the original I guess.  That would be fine, but the opening section is so messed up I was lost within a few seconds and suddenly encountering crap 3 or 4 levels above my party.  Not sure if this was intentional or if I made an error.  Even that would be OK if I could find my path back, but I kept getting stuck in some weird spot where everything was just blacked out.  I might start over again from scratch, I don't know.  I do remember the original game being difficult, and doing cheesy things like making characters and stealing their starter gold and then destroying them.  Ahhhh old school! 

From everything I've heard, the difficulty on this one is purposefully off-the-charts insane, and it's intended for the hardest of the hard-core only.  It's what steered me away in the first place.

kathode

View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: November 04, 2011, 02:02:26 AM »

Wizardry review on GAF says the save system is bad too - very few auto checkpoints and the guy says he lost an hour of progress after it didn't resume correctly after suspend.  I'm passing on this one, too bad.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #1275 on: November 04, 2011, 03:16:44 AM »

Ritt, I remember the original Wizardry was a game where you would initially have to flee back to town after every fight. After you'd gained a level or two, you'd be able to safely take more than a few steps and survive more than a couple of encounters. And you'd have to meticulously map everything too.

I thought the Etrian Odyssey games really modernized the formula in a nice way while still keeping much of the hardcore nature.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1276 on: November 04, 2011, 07:38:27 AM »

Okay, after a few more hours, I'm still at 'free demo, buy when it goes on sale'.  But.

There is auto-mapping.  You either have to buy a map (first 2 levels of the Trials Dungeon is 5g at the shop), or get a mage to level 3 (they get a time-based mapping spell).  This allows for automapping.

Difficulty:  At level 1, it's brutal.  At levels 2-3, not so much.  I'm levels 3-4 right now, and rarely having to run or flee the dungeon (usually only after running out of spell points, or when someone dies).

Protip:  Make sure you have a thief and bishop if nothing else.  Items are highly insanely expensive, and appraising them is as well.  The Bishop ability to appraise items on the fly is priceless.

It's not a horrible game.  I could have done without the BLATANT in-app purchase stuff though.  For a laugh, check out the DLC tab on the start screen.

The save feature is in-game, I haven't seen an 'autosave'.  Just make sure you save manually, duh.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: November 04, 2011, 12:34:23 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on November 04, 2011, 12:17:00 AM

I own the dice game and bought this on iOS.  Definitely a good version of it with some nice artwork from the game.  Shame it only has one Ancient One to fight, but they picked that one that if you awaken it, it ends the game, so I suppose it was the easiest to code.

I was disappointed by that, too.  I only hope they put more in (Cthulhu!) via an update rather than DLC.  I noticed, too, that there are no Doom Effects, per se.  Even so, this version seems harder than the board game.  When playing the board game, it seemed like there were some fairly easy ones, but the harder ones needed to be tackled anyway.  In the IOS one, it feels like all of the challenges are 4 dice minimum!

Great game, though.

Also, I came across this funny video:  Elder Sign

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: November 04, 2011, 02:40:59 PM »

Kairosoft of Game Dev Story fame just released Edo Towns, which is a sort of Sim City style game set in ancient Japan.  If I hadn't just binged on Pocket RPG, Mage Gauntlet, and Elder Scroll Signs: Scroll Omens, I'd be all over this.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: November 04, 2011, 03:32:47 PM »

I meant to say that I also picked up Pocket RPG based on Gratch's recommendation.  I'd seen good reviews but was waiting for a lower price drop.  So worth the current $3, though.  Really great.

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 54   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: