http://gamingtrend.com
July 23, 2014, 06:02:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 53   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: iPhone/iTouch app and game thread  (Read 99886 times)
hepcat
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: July 27, 2011, 07:46:37 PM »

Ghost Stories, the great board game from Repos, is now available.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: July 27, 2011, 09:55:24 PM »

Just picked up an iTouch. I've been trying several games and oddly enough my favorite right now is Oregon Trail. Any more out there like this?

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: July 28, 2011, 01:39:37 PM »

Yoinks!  I off-handedly mentioned getting an iPad 2 to the wife last night at our anniversary dinner.  A quick trip to the mall, and I have it sitting beside me!

I'm going to pick through this thread, but where should I start?  Where does the iPad discussion begin?

Also, what apps should I get?

What's the best Weather app?

hep, I just finally ordered Ghost Stories yesterday (the physical board game).  I read that there are some problems with the iPad version, though.  Have you tried it yet?  I got Neuroshima Hex and Ticket to Ride already and will probably pick up Carcasonne and maybe Catan.  Any other board games?

I'm Bullwinkle_J on Gamecenter.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 02:32:26 PM by Bullwinkle » Logged

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: July 28, 2011, 02:08:49 PM »

I'm sure there are more than a few issues with Ghost Stories on the iPad.  That's par for the course, to be honest.  However, apps get updated a lot so I'm fine with just playing around with it until it's perfected.  Especially since it's about 6 bucks.  

Neuroshima and Ticket to Ride are just dream apps.  I play those two probably the most. Get NS Puzzles, too!  Carcasonne and Catan are also really, really good.  I would say all of those are required gaming on the ipad.

I would also highly recommend:

Avadaon - Great RPG

Army of Darkness HD Defense - Ignore the in game store and just have fun with what they give you in the initial purchase.

Battlelines - a great card game

Small World is a great board game port.

Ascension - great port of the deck builder from Gary Games.

Civ: Revolution - needs no introduction

Puzzle Quest 2

Zombie Dice - addictive

Bang HD

I would avoid kingsburg as it's a really crappy port for the ipad.  the text blurs all the time and it just looks...meh.

Also, keep checking boardgamegeeks iOS board game news for info on upcoming games.  Puerto Rico is due soon and GMT games has a bunch of iPad ports coming out soon...which means I'll be out of touch for a few weeks if Washington's War is one of the first.  icon_wink

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: July 28, 2011, 02:09:36 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on July 28, 2011, 01:39:37 PM

What's the best Weather app?

I like WeatherBug myelf. Free and has a nice set of features.

Would you please mention to your wife that I'd really like a Ferrari 458 Italia? Thanks.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: July 28, 2011, 03:53:43 PM »

WeatherBug and AccuWeather seem to be the best weather apps; I've become more partial to WeatherBug.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: July 29, 2011, 08:44:17 PM »

Holy shit, Battleheart finally got updated!  2 new char classes added too!
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: July 31, 2011, 05:50:43 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on July 29, 2011, 08:44:17 PM

Holy shit, Battleheart finally got updated!  2 new char classes added too!

Good grief - don't tell me that - I'm still playing Dungeon Raid, lmao!  For me, DR is a lot like Tetris or Dr. Mario, it never gets old.   nod

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: July 31, 2011, 07:40:49 AM »

Is there an actual ipad version of Ascension: Chronicle of the Godslayer? There is an ipad itunes page, but it lists as the same price as the iphone version , and the requirements say itouch or iphone. Usually ipad versions are more expensive. Is that an actual HD version of the game, or is it just a pixelated iphone version that can be played on the ipad?
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: July 31, 2011, 08:06:55 AM »

I'm pretty sure it's a universal app and works properly on both devices.  I know friends that play on the iPad and they say it looks great.
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1050 on: July 31, 2011, 04:13:42 PM »

Bought a ton on IOS games this weekend.

Ticket to ride - Pretty fun app that I wish had local mutiplayer for 2 Ipads.  Had to create a gamecenter ID for my girlfriend so we could play that way.  It does have pass and play which was okay but def better with 2 ipads.
Ascension  - It's universal and it looks great on IOS.  I really couldn't get into though, need to spend some more time in it.
Fabled Lands 2 HD -  It's a gamebook adventure with some great artwork.  The sound effects are nice but they cut off unexpectedly.  It's like a choose your own adventure book RPG.

Neuroshima Hex -  Best game of the bunch for me.  A great strategy title that is easy to learn but has a ton of depth.  I won a 3 person battle but have yet to win a 1 on 1 vs. easy mode so I have a lot of learning to do.
Still a little confused on the way some battles outcomes take place.      

Groove Coaster - Almost forgot about this one, another great music rhythm game that plays a little like the Elite beat agents meets audiosurf. 
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 04:15:37 PM by shon » Logged

Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: August 01, 2011, 12:37:36 AM »

Quote from: shon on July 31, 2011, 04:13:42 PM

Bought a ton on IOS games this weekend.

Neuroshima Hex -  Best game of the bunch for me.  A great strategy title that is easy to learn but has a ton of depth.  I won a 3 person battle but have yet to win a 1 on 1 vs. easy mode so I have a lot of learning to do.

Holy %^$$ is this game addictive! Insta-buy
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 04:36:56 AM by Dante Rising » Logged
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: August 01, 2011, 04:19:21 PM »

Since we just got an iPad last week, I've been piling up.  I have to say that AppShopper is just freaking awesome.  And painful, as things I want are constantly popping up for $.99.  Game Dev Story just hit last night, BTW.  And I played it for something like an hour and a half straight.  And I don't always like those kind of games.  And I'm over iPhone games on the iPad already (though I do wish there was an iPad version).

I'm not going to list all the games I picked up (as that would be epic and embarrassing), but here are some that I really, really loved so far:

Ticket to Ride
Neuroshima Hex/Puzzle (I'd played the board game, but having the computer figure out all the moves when a battle hits is genius)
Small World
Bumpy Road

Dizzypad HD - Beautiful game where your frog jumps from lillypad to lillypad
Gears
Space Miner HD

Coin Drop - Fun Peggle-like game with lots of goals, but it's hard to get them all in a round
Frisbee - This game is phenomenal.  If you haven't tried it, go get it now
Lead Wars
Robotek HD - Another phenomenal game.  It's a slot-machine robot battle, but it's even different from other slot games I've played (can't believe that's a category).
Dice Soccer
Par Out Golf & Super Stickman Golf - I wanted one good golf game, and I got two great ones, both different than what I had in mind, but both crazy fun.
Dead Space - Bought it full price the day before it dropped to $4.99.  Great game, though.
Super Brothers Sword & Sorcery - Wow.  Just, wow.
Army of Darkness HD
Death Worm/Mega Worm

There are a handful I haven't even tried yet.  And there are other really good ones, that I didn't mention because either they've had enough attention (Cut the Rope) or I didn't get to them enough (Battleheart).

I actually haven't played on any console or the PC since we picked this thing up!

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: August 01, 2011, 04:22:16 PM »

I picked up Jaws HD.  It looks great, but I'm having a really hard time with it.  It took me a dozen attempts to get past the first level!  It sometimes seems like if Bruce targets your swimmer, no amount of flicking can save him.  Am I doing something wrong?

On a similar note, has any one tried the Hungry Shark Trilogy?

kathode

View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: August 01, 2011, 05:08:22 PM »

Get Neuroshima Hex Puzzle.  It will teach you everything in great detail.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: August 01, 2011, 05:38:11 PM »

What's the best program for using Microsoft Office (or just Word, even) on the iPad?

kathode

View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: August 01, 2011, 07:55:20 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on August 01, 2011, 05:38:11 PM

What's the best program for using Microsoft Office (or just Word, even) on the iPad?

Can't say first hand as I don't use mine for that, but everyone seems to say Documents To Go is the one to get.  It's also a universal app.  The other one I see people mention a lot is QuickOffice.  Here's a thread comparing the two - http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=935226
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: August 01, 2011, 08:10:11 PM »

Thanks for that.  I figured it was between those 2.  I don't have the iPhone, so the Universality of it doesn't matter much.  I'd prefer the ease of use and better looking, frankly, so I'm leaning toward QO.

Another newbie question: Are there must have apps for my 8 year old daughter?

dobberhd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: August 01, 2011, 09:59:49 PM »

My 5 and 7 year old can't get enough of Plants vs Zombies.
Exodor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: August 01, 2011, 11:21:16 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on August 01, 2011, 04:19:21 PM

If you like Dizzypad then check out Pocket Frogs - it's got that as a mini-game with a whole "Frog Breeding" game around it.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: August 02, 2011, 12:44:39 AM »

Quote from: Exodor on August 01, 2011, 11:21:16 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on August 01, 2011, 04:19:21 PM

If you like Dizzypad then check out Pocket Frogs - it's got that as a mini-game with a whole "Frog Breeding" game around it.

I got Pocket Frogs, but I didn't connect with it.

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: August 02, 2011, 04:19:35 AM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on July 31, 2011, 07:40:49 AM

Is there an actual ipad version of Ascension: Chronicle of the Godslayer? There is an ipad itunes page, but it lists as the same price as the iphone version , and the requirements say itouch or iphone. Usually ipad versions are more expensive. Is that an actual HD version of the game, or is it just a pixelated iphone version that can be played on the ipad?

The little + sign in the price widget means it is universal. It works great on both (easier on iPhone if you already know the cards) and is totally awesome IMO. One of my favorite games.

Bullwinkle, Lego Harry Potter would be a good one if she is into HP. And for you, check out Pinball Tristan, Pinball HD, and Pinball Dreaming HD smile
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 04:25:18 AM by Misguided » Logged

Ruining language with my terrible words.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: August 02, 2011, 02:56:06 PM »

Final Fantasy should be hitting this Thursday, and the rumor mill is putting the price at $16.  As long as I hear reports that they did a good job with the touch interface, I'm fine with the Squeenix tax, especially considering I almost re-bought a PSP just for this game.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: August 02, 2011, 03:50:13 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on August 02, 2011, 02:56:06 PM

Final Fantasy should be hitting this Thursday, and the rumor mill is putting the price at $16.  As long as I hear reports that they did a good job with the touch interface, I'm fine with the Squeenix tax, especially considering I almost re-bought a PSP just for this game.

There's a good look at the revamped version here (it's the Japanese version, but you'll get the idea).  The touch screen controls look fantastic, being able to actually rotate the board to an exact angle is a huge positive, and the lack of slowdown on spell effects is a very welcome change.  It looks like this really could be the definitive version of FFT...can't wait to give it a spin this week!

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: August 02, 2011, 04:03:08 PM »

SOLD! 
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1065 on: August 02, 2011, 06:41:11 PM »

Nooooo!! stop posting compelling links. My wallet can't handle it.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: August 02, 2011, 06:52:29 PM »

Quote from: Purge on August 02, 2011, 06:41:11 PM

Damn I was going to try to wait for the iPad version, but Gratch's evil link/post made me realize I was just kidding myself. 
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: August 02, 2011, 07:11:36 PM »

Quote from: Purge on August 02, 2011, 06:41:11 PM

If it makes you feel any better, I just paid to get this game on PSP...which they released 2 days before announcing that the iPhone version was completed.  Shrewd work on their part, but does piss me off a bit.

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: August 02, 2011, 08:42:20 PM »

Wow...I HATE the way that the camera swings around by itself every time there's a spell effect going off. I'm interested in this, but won't buy it unless that can be disabled.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: August 02, 2011, 08:50:19 PM »

I finally got Death Rally and I'm hooked just like I was a long time ago with the PC shareware game.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: August 02, 2011, 08:57:41 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on August 02, 2011, 08:42:20 PM

Wow...I HATE the way that the camera swings around by itself every time there's a spell effect going off. I'm interested in this, but won't buy it unless that can be disabled.

It does that in the original too.  Spent 100+ hours with FFT, and have never even noticed that until you mentioned it.

kathode

View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: August 03, 2011, 12:10:20 AM »

Aside from FFT iPad, this is the game I'm most anticipating: http://www.starcommandgame.com/

It's like Star Trek + Game Dev Story.  Seems like it's a few months out, but can't wait!
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: August 03, 2011, 12:19:36 AM »

That's pretty much a day 1 purchase just based on that one screenshot!  Nice find.
KC

View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: August 03, 2011, 12:37:58 AM »

Quote from: kathode on August 03, 2011, 12:10:20 AM

Aside from FFT iPad, this is the game I'm most anticipating: http://www.starcommandgame.com/

It's like Star Trek + Game Dev Story.  Seems like it's a few months out, but can't wait!

I take it that the absence of "red shirts" means that none of the crew members will meet a violent untimely fate.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: August 03, 2011, 03:44:07 PM »

Quote from: kathode on August 01, 2011, 05:08:22 PM

It just dropped to $.99!

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: August 03, 2011, 04:22:21 PM »

PopCap recently released Allied Star Police, and if you haven't tried it, give it a go. 

It's a free app, but more importantly, it was designed by a fourth grader through the Make-A-Wish Foundation.  It was supposed to be just a thing where the kid, Owain, came to hang with game designers, but he showed up with a full Powerpoint presentation for a game.  They hit the ground running, created a demo in a week, and then once the week was up, liked it enough to keep going and make a full game out of it.  Read the story here.

And the game is damned good, too.  It's a little like Plants Vs Zombies, but the plants are fully armed vehicles that don't just sit around, they get rolling and kick enemy ass.  It's a little like Swords and Soldiers or the Army of Darkness Defense game, too.  Really, it's a lot of fun.

Bob

View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: August 03, 2011, 06:58:26 PM »

FFT for $16. I'll probably get it, but need to see at least 1 review first.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: August 03, 2011, 07:06:35 PM »

A new Cut the Rope game should be hitting today, too.  Cut the Rope: Experiments, I think.
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1078 on: August 03, 2011, 10:47:29 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on August 03, 2011, 03:44:07 PM

Quote from: kathode on August 01, 2011, 05:08:22 PM

It just dropped to $.99!

Thanks, I almost bought it last night but didn't have my Ipad near me.  $2 is $2.   

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: August 03, 2011, 10:49:44 PM »

Reflexive property
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 53   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: