http://gamingtrend.com
September 20, 2014, 08:56:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 54   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: iPhone/iTouch app and game thread  (Read 104913 times)
Caine
Gaming Trend Senior Member

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #600 on: December 19, 2010, 10:07:12 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 19, 2010, 09:56:11 PM

Quote from: Caine on December 19, 2010, 09:52:54 PM

Quote from: Gratch on December 19, 2010, 07:12:40 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on December 19, 2010, 06:28:10 PM

Quote from: Gratch on December 17, 2010, 04:59:36 PM

Against my better judgment (I already have 4 other handheld RPG's that I've barely scratched the surface on), I picked up Avalon this morning and spent a couple hours with it.  Technically, it's quite a remarkable achievement.  The environment looks fantastic, the animations are great, the music is good (although it's very annoying that the track starts over every time you enter or exit a room), the UI is very user-friendly, and the whole package is incredibly polished.  It really does feel like you're playing Oblivion on a handheld.  The world seems huge and there's plenty to do, although the map isn't the best and it's easy to get lost without any sort of quest marker.  Especially in the dungeons.  I got a call about halfway through a dungeon, got completely turned around, and it took me forever to find my way back out.

That said, it's such a completely and utterly generic "Ye Olde Fantasy" world that I'm having a hard time getting into it.  I also found myself fighting with the camera more often than the enemies until I switched to a 3rd person fixed perspective.  I'd highly recommend doing that right off the bat.  It's also incredibly easy so far (I can one or two hit nearly every enemy), but I'm sure that will change as I get further on.

I'd give it a cautious thumbs-up, depending on what sort of game you're looking for.  It's definitely grown on me the longer I've played today, and looks like it will be a fun ride.  It still blows my mind that I'm playing something like this on a phone.  smile

you know, I spent about 15 minutes trying to find Avalon on the app store..... *Fist Shaking*

icon_lol  Sorry dude.

care to share?

it's actually Aralon, not Avalon.

thanks ceekay.  

that does look good.  i can deal with generic fantasy rpg if it looks and plays this good.  i wonder how it will play on my old 3g (likely, bad) but i am anticipating getting an ipad/4g soon so i will get this while the sale is good.  

and i see it won't play on this one at all.  bummer. 

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #601 on: December 19, 2010, 10:24:31 PM »

Quote from: Caine on December 19, 2010, 10:07:12 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on December 19, 2010, 09:56:11 PM

Quote from: Caine on December 19, 2010, 09:52:54 PM

Quote from: Gratch on December 19, 2010, 07:12:40 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on December 19, 2010, 06:28:10 PM

Quote from: Gratch on December 17, 2010, 04:59:36 PM

Against my better judgment (I already have 4 other handheld RPG's that I've barely scratched the surface on), I picked up Avalon this morning and spent a couple hours with it.  Technically, it's quite a remarkable achievement.  The environment looks fantastic, the animations are great, the music is good (although it's very annoying that the track starts over every time you enter or exit a room), the UI is very user-friendly, and the whole package is incredibly polished.  It really does feel like you're playing Oblivion on a handheld.  The world seems huge and there's plenty to do, although the map isn't the best and it's easy to get lost without any sort of quest marker.  Especially in the dungeons.  I got a call about halfway through a dungeon, got completely turned around, and it took me forever to find my way back out.

That said, it's such a completely and utterly generic "Ye Olde Fantasy" world that I'm having a hard time getting into it.  I also found myself fighting with the camera more often than the enemies until I switched to a 3rd person fixed perspective.  I'd highly recommend doing that right off the bat.  It's also incredibly easy so far (I can one or two hit nearly every enemy), but I'm sure that will change as I get further on.

I'd give it a cautious thumbs-up, depending on what sort of game you're looking for.  It's definitely grown on me the longer I've played today, and looks like it will be a fun ride.  It still blows my mind that I'm playing something like this on a phone.  smile

you know, I spent about 15 minutes trying to find Avalon on the app store..... *Fist Shaking*

icon_lol  Sorry dude.

care to share?

it's actually Aralon, not Avalon.

thanks ceekay.  

that does look good.  i can deal with generic fantasy rpg if it looks and plays this good.  i wonder how it will play on my old 3g (likely, bad) but i am anticipating getting an ipad/4g soon so i will get this while the sale is good.  

and i see it won't play on this one at all.  bummer. 

This recent flood of iPhone games (Aralon, Eternal Legacy, Dungeon Hunter 2, Infinity Blade, etc.) was the driving factor behind my recent iPhone 4 upgrade.  I was going to do it eventually anyways, but all these cool games just pushed me over the top. 

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #602 on: December 20, 2010, 02:04:23 PM »

:sigh:  Secret of Mana hits the App store tonight.

God damn you Squeenix.  Like I didn't have enough to play already...

godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #603 on: December 20, 2010, 02:05:51 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on December 20, 2010, 02:04:23 PM

:sigh:  Secret of Mana hits the App store tonight.

God damn you Squeenix.  Like I didn't have enough to play already...

Really? Hurray!!
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #604 on: December 20, 2010, 02:11:47 PM »

Quote from: godhugh on December 20, 2010, 02:05:51 PM

Quote from: Gratch on December 20, 2010, 02:04:23 PM

:sigh:  Secret of Mana hits the App store tonight.

God damn you Squeenix.  Like I didn't have enough to play already...

Really? Hurray!!

Already available...if you're in New Zealand  slywink

I think I'm going to wait on this one though.  Too many games already, and I the Mana series has never been my favorite.  I'm sure I'll get it eventually, but it's not a must-buy at this point.  This, on the other hand, I'm absolutely giddy about.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 02:14:09 PM by Gratch » Logged

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #605 on: December 20, 2010, 11:32:46 PM »

Eagerly awaiting impressions on how the virtual d-pad is on Secret of Mana.
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #606 on: December 21, 2010, 06:17:40 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on December 20, 2010, 11:32:46 PM

Eagerly awaiting impressions on how the virtual d-pad is on Secret of Mana.

Downloaded and played for a few minutes (enough to get through the initial forest). Controls seem pretty good. The d-pad is a little squirrely, just like they always are, but it's certainly accurate enough to do the job. I did turn off "Directional Assistance" in the options and that seemed to improve things a bit. The game certainly brings back a lot of fond memories. I think I'm definitely going to have a good time playing back through it.
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #607 on: December 21, 2010, 10:39:25 PM »

I want to give a big thumbs up to Dungeon Hunter 2 HD. Between all the freaking games I purchased on sale, this has been played the most. It feels sort of like Dungeon Siege 2 but on the ipad. Aralon has gotten some game play but I keep going back to DH2.

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #608 on: December 23, 2010, 06:35:05 PM »

Chrono Trigger likely coming to iPhone/iPad.  Oh hell yeah!   drool

Now if they just get Xenogears converted over (either on iPhone or PSP, don't care which), I'll be a happy camper.

PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #609 on: December 23, 2010, 07:31:06 PM »

A good friend of mine named Dan Panuska made and published a little game for the Iphone called Blob Eat Blob. If you want to try it out and purchase it for 1 buck, please do so. I picked it up last night and it was simple-timewaster fun. You play a cosmic blob that must eat smaller blobbies while avoiding the gargantuan ones. Only 1 buck!  icon_smile
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #610 on: December 23, 2010, 09:02:48 PM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on December 23, 2010, 07:31:06 PM

A good friend of mine named Dan Panuska made and published a little game for the Iphone called Blob Eat Blob. If you want to try it out and purchase it for 1 buck, please do so. I picked it up last night and it was simple-timewaster fun. You play a cosmic blob that must eat smaller blobbies while avoiding the gargantuan ones. Only 1 buck!  icon_smile

That is called whoring. slywink

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #611 on: December 23, 2010, 09:10:59 PM »

Quote from: Purge on December 23, 2010, 09:02:48 PM

Quote from: PR_GMR on December 23, 2010, 07:31:06 PM

That is called whoring. slywink

I prefer to call it pimping.  icon_razz
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #612 on: December 23, 2010, 10:36:25 PM »

Pimping ain't easy.

unless you're a dirty little whore.

like PR  Tongue

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #613 on: December 27, 2010, 02:54:33 PM »

So, due to the amount of travel I do for work now, (Usually one week every month, sometimes more), I decided to use some money from Christmas, then chip in the rest to pick up an iPad. I have an iPhone for work, and I really wish I could "piggyback" on the wireless data plan for my phone and use it for my iPad since I got the 3g version. While I use very little data on my phone, I can see using it much more frequently with the iPad. My wife will also get a lot of use out of it when I am home and on the computer, she can use the iPad and likewise in reverse..

Anyway, my first impression is that the screen is beautiful. I downloaded some free books for the kindle app and was amazed at how easy it was to read. I had tried reading on my iPhone before and it just was way too small. The interface is the same as the iPhone so I was already used to how it worked. Perhaps surprisingly, I found browsing the app store to not be as easy on the iPad as it is on the iPhone, but perhaps I am looking in the wrong place for things. I also found some of the category pages were not formatted correctly and I ended up getting a long text list of apps with poorly formatted HTML.

Does the iPad not charge when plugged in via USB to a PC? Last night when I connected it, it made sure to point out in the top right that the device was not charging.

Any recommendations on a case and do folks recommend screen protectors? For the case, I would like something that can double as a stand I think.

Lastly, I have read this whole thread and found some good suggestions on apps, and am looking specifically for RPGs.  What is the final feeling on Infinity Blade and Chaos Rings for the iPad?  Do they hold up as well now as when they first released?  Planning on picking up The Quest and Rogue Touch.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #614 on: December 27, 2010, 03:55:20 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on December 27, 2010, 02:54:33 PM

Does the iPad not charge when plugged in via USB to a PC? Last night when I connected it, it made sure to point out in the top right that the device was not charging.

I can't speak for the iPad, but I know the iPhone does charge off a USB port.  That said, when my PC goes into sleep mode, the iPhone stops charging.

Lastly, I have read this whole thread and found some good suggestions on apps, and am looking specifically for RPGs.  What is the final feeling on Infinity Blade and Chaos Rings for the iPad?  Do they hold up as well now as when they first released?  Planning on picking up The Quest and Rogue Touch.

Infinity Blade is great fun, but keep in mind that it's not an RPG by any means.  It's much closer to a sword-&-sorcery version of Punch Out.  Chaos Rings still holds up very well, and is still my personal favorite RPG's available on the iPhone.  It's very much a console-style JRPG though (looks and feels very similar to Final Fantasy VIII imo), so steer clear if that's not your thing.   I wasn't crazy about The Quest, but suppose it's probably worth a look for $.99.  If you're looking for an open world RPG like that, I'd recommend going with Aralon or Ravensword instead. 

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #615 on: December 27, 2010, 04:07:19 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on December 27, 2010, 03:55:20 PM

I can't speak for the iPad, but I know the iPhone does charge off a USB port.  That said, when my PC goes into sleep mode, the iPhone stops charging.

Infinity Blade is great fun, but keep in mind that it's not an RPG by any means.  It's much closer to a sword-&-sorcery version of Punch Out.  Chaos Rings still holds up very well, and is still my personal favorite RPG's available on the iPhone.  It's very much a console-style JRPG though (looks and feels very similar to Final Fantasy VIII imo), so steer clear if that's not your thing.   I wasn't crazy about The Quest, but suppose it's probably worth a look for $.99.  If you're looking for an open world RPG like that, I'd recommend going with Aralon or Ravensword instead. 

Well, I love JRPGs so it looks like I will be picking up Chaos Ring.  Will have to do some more investigating on Aralon, it looks pretty decent.  I would kill for a graphically remade version of the wizardry games or even the old Might and Magic games (World of Xeen).
Clay

View Profile
« Reply #616 on: December 27, 2010, 04:18:28 PM »

It requires more power than most USB ports supply, so no -- it usually will not charge via USB. Hence the small power adapter that comes with it (versus the one that comes with the iPhone).

xbox live: nude rick james
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #617 on: December 27, 2010, 04:21:31 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on December 27, 2010, 04:07:19 PM

Will have to do some more investigating on Aralon, it looks pretty decent. 

Here's a few reviewssmile  It's not perfect (controls take some getting used to and there are more than a few bugs), but Aralon truly feels like you're playing Oblivion on your phone.  It's quite remarkable.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #618 on: December 27, 2010, 04:46:07 PM »

Has anyone tried The War of Eustrath?  It looks like a tactical turn based RPG.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-war-of-eustrath/id381058279?mt=8
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #619 on: December 28, 2010, 01:01:17 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on December 27, 2010, 04:21:31 PM

Here's a few reviewssmile  It's not perfect (controls take some getting used to and there are more than a few bugs), but Aralon truly feels like you're playing Oblivion on your phone.  It's quite remarkable.

Well, I would love to be able to say the reviews were spot on...except the game freezes every time I try and give my character a name.  Hopefully I can find a way around this.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #620 on: December 28, 2010, 02:07:48 AM »

Quote from: Arkon on December 28, 2010, 01:01:17 AM

Quote from: Gratch on December 27, 2010, 04:21:31 PM

Well, I would love to be able to say the reviews were spot on...except the game freezes every time I try and give my character a name.  Hopefully I can find a way around this.

I know this seems pretty dumb to ask, but have you tried rebooting?  I've not ha any crashes in Aralon.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #621 on: December 28, 2010, 02:14:46 AM »

Quote from: Clay on December 27, 2010, 04:18:28 PM

It requires more power than most USB ports supply, so no -- it usually will not charge via USB. Hence the small power adapter that comes with it (versus the one that comes with the iPhone).

It does charge, just very slowly. It won't charge if you actively use it, but once it goes to sleep it will slowly charge.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #622 on: December 29, 2010, 02:42:08 AM »

Been having a blast with Solomon's Keep the last few days and it's free right now. It's basically a dual-stick dungeon (or rather, tower) crawler where you play a wizard. You get to choose which powers you upgrade when you level, which gives it a lite rpg feel and also decent replayability.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #623 on: December 29, 2010, 09:34:09 AM »

Hmmm, I could swear I saw Aralon for $6.99 USD when I was researching it (thanks to the recommendations here)... but the latest pages I linked to said it was $9.99.  Anyone know if the higher price is due to more recent patches, or just "site variability" on cost?  It sounds like a game that I would like a lot; I just don't know when to grab it based on the glitches-to-cost ratio.   icon_neutral

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #624 on: December 29, 2010, 12:06:45 PM »

AppShopper is your friend:

Yep, they raised the price.  Register on the site, add it to your wishlist, and you'll get email if/when the price drops.

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #625 on: December 29, 2010, 03:36:19 PM »

I bought Chronos Gear awhile ago and am just revisiting it.  It's an excellent clone of the Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes game from the DS. I think it may actually be a better game than M&M:CoH.

It's 99 cents right now.
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #626 on: January 01, 2011, 02:11:02 AM »

Riener Knizia's Labyrinth iPhone version .99 cents.  Very cool tile laying game.

Ninjatown Trees of Doom free today and into tomorrow.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #627 on: January 01, 2011, 02:39:19 AM »

If anyone hasn't heard of it, Ninjatown Trees of Doom is damn good fun.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #628 on: January 11, 2011, 08:04:23 PM »

Devil May Cry 4 on the iOS?

http://www.slidetoplay.com/story/devil-may-cry-4-refrain-hands-on-preview

Because I can,
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #629 on: January 11, 2011, 09:33:40 PM »

100 Rogues free today (Jan 11)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #630 on: January 12, 2011, 12:37:12 AM »

Super Soviet Missile Mastar is coming next month for free.

Because I can,
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #631 on: January 12, 2011, 01:11:03 AM »

Uno is only $.99 today as well.  It's a pretty good version of the game.

Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #632 on: January 12, 2011, 04:32:15 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on January 01, 2011, 02:39:19 AM

Really? It seemed pretty basic and repetitive to me. But it was free so I can't complain. I wouldn't pay for it though.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #633 on: January 12, 2011, 08:30:02 AM »

holy flashback.... Death Rally is coming to the iOS.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #634 on: January 12, 2011, 08:34:35 AM »

then there is always Maxplosion, which apparently is Capcom ripping off 'Splosion Man.

Because I can,
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #635 on: January 12, 2011, 01:10:35 PM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on January 12, 2011, 04:32:15 AM

Quote from: wonderpug on January 01, 2011, 02:39:19 AM

Really? It seemed pretty basic and repetitive to me. But it was free so I can't complain. I wouldn't pay for it though.

How high did you get?  The first 1000 feet are pretty simple, but 1000-2000 gets pretty challenging.  I mean, this isn't a game on-par with Baldur's Gate or something, but for a simple arcade action thing it's pretty fun.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #636 on: January 16, 2011, 11:34:23 PM »

Road Blaster is out now for 99 cents.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #637 on: January 18, 2011, 11:20:26 PM »

Angry Birds Seasons knocked out by an 8th grader.

Because I can,
The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #638 on: January 19, 2011, 03:50:21 AM »

Scrabble is free as of right now.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #639 on: January 19, 2011, 03:56:26 AM »

Quote from: The_Man on January 19, 2011, 03:50:21 AM

Scrabble is free as of right now.

I've probably put more time into Scrabble than all my other iPhone games combined.  It really is a fantastic version.

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 54   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: