http://gamingtrend.com
April 19, 2014, 12:56:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 51   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: iPhone/iTouch app and game thread  (Read 95166 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #360 on: February 21, 2010, 05:42:04 PM »

SM2 makes me wish for a bigger screen, I wonder how it's going to translate over to the iPad.  will it work at all or will the screen just be stretched....

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Zero

View Profile
« Reply #361 on: February 21, 2010, 09:02:28 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 21, 2010, 05:42:04 PM

SM2 makes me wish for a bigger screen, I wonder how it's going to translate over to the iPad.  will it work at all or will the screen just be stretched....

I find myself starting to collect/buy games to prep for the iPad smile
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #362 on: February 22, 2010, 03:37:50 AM »

I'll add another big  thumbsup for Space Miner.  Once you get past the "um, isn't this just Asteroids" feeling, it's a remarkably fun game.  Funny as hell too.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #363 on: February 22, 2010, 04:37:23 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on February 22, 2010, 03:37:50 AM

I'll add another big  thumbsup for Space Miner.  Once you get past the "um, isn't this just Asteroids" feeling, it's a remarkably fun game.  Funny as hell too.

you know, I've already completed two runs through the game. I have NEVER completed more than one play of any game in my life that wasn't made by Blizzard.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #364 on: February 22, 2010, 05:10:26 AM »

Quote from: Zero on February 21, 2010, 09:02:28 PM

The iPad will have their own native games, just so you're aware. Don't want to buy a game, only for them to release an iPad-native version that you'd have to re-buy.
Zero

View Profile
« Reply #365 on: February 23, 2010, 01:35:44 AM »

Quote from: ravenvii on February 22, 2010, 05:10:26 AM

The iPad will have their own native games, just so you're aware. Don't want to buy a game, only for them to release an iPad-native version that you'd have to re-buy.

Really?  From what I've read, the games will work just fine on the iPad.  Since the graphics are vector, they translate up - so its not jagged.  I'm sure they will have some native ipad ones, but all the current iphone game should work fine. 
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #366 on: February 23, 2010, 02:10:37 AM »

Quote from: Zero on February 23, 2010, 01:35:44 AM

Quote from: ravenvii on February 22, 2010, 05:10:26 AM

SM2 makes me wish for a bigger screen, I wonder how it's going to translate over to the iPad.  will it work at all or will the screen just be stretched....

Really?  From what I've read, the games will work just fine on the iPad.  Since the graphics are vector, they translate up - so its not jagged.  I'm sure they will have some native ipad ones, but all the current iphone game should work fine.  

They do work, but you're wrong in thinking they're vector. You can set whether the app runs in it's native resolution (with huge black borders) or scaled up to fit the iPad's screen. There will be blurring (anti-aliasing), however.

It's up to you if you'll put up with the anti-aliasing, but I wouldn't snap up games in preparation for the iPad, I think it's more wise to wait and get the games once they port it to the iPad. If you want to play the games now on the iPhone, then that's another story.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 02:12:54 AM by ravenvii » Logged
Zero

View Profile
« Reply #367 on: February 23, 2010, 03:49:58 AM »

Quote from: ravenvii on February 23, 2010, 02:10:37 AM

They do work, but you're wrong in thinking they're vector. You can set whether the app runs in it's native resolution (with huge black borders) or scaled up to fit the iPad's screen. There will be blurring (anti-aliasing), however.

It's up to you if you'll put up with the anti-aliasing, but I wouldn't snap up games in preparation for the iPad, I think it's more wise to wait and get the games once they port it to the iPad. If you want to play the games now on the iPhone, then that's another story.

You're right...not vector.  But I am ok with them scaled up/pixeled up/zoom, see picture attached below (link to article where picture appeared).  Pictures are 1)Original size on ipad, 2)zoom on ipad, and 3)reworked for ipad.

The point is that I have been picking up more games and playing on the iphone, wishing it to be bigger (hence playing on the iPad).  I do tend to get them, play for a bit - and then put them aside to be played on the iPad.  I did this quite a few times in the past week - the point that I said to myself that yeah, I'm picking up games and will be playing them on the iPad.  Today for example, I picked up "All in 1 gamebox" (which for 99cents I think is a steal) - and played for bit and realized that I really want to play them on a bigger screen.  So I put it aside, waiting for the iPad  icon_biggrin

I do agree that native iPad games will be MUCH better, but I'm happy with getting a fun game for cheap that I can now play on the iPhone and later on the iPad.  So yeah, I'm not playing a lot of games now (not much anyway) and am waiting to play them on the iPad.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 03:51:57 AM by Zero » Logged
Vidiot

View Profile
« Reply #368 on: February 23, 2010, 04:28:40 AM »

I believe a given app can also support both formats at once.  So there is a possibility that some apps will patch in support for the iPad.  It is going to be a trade off between angering some of your current customers (but selling a couple of apps a second time) or keeping them happy but only getting sales that you didn't get the first time.  This also assume most iPad owners have either an iPhone or iPod Touch (which is probably safe to do).
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #369 on: February 23, 2010, 03:46:35 PM »

I've yet to see this suggested anywhere, but here's what I think they should do. Since they can now have a store from within an app, simply make the other format available for free from within each version of it so you don't have to buy both.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #370 on: February 25, 2010, 09:19:53 AM »

Final Fantasy 1 and 2 are out in the App Store.  Hurray!

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #371 on: February 25, 2010, 02:16:16 PM »

In addition to FF 1 & 2, Square also released Song Summoner, which is a FF Tactics-style RPG formerly just for iPod that uses your music to create characters.  I've always wanted to try this one, so I may give it a shot before picking up either of the actual FF games.  Bunch of info on the official site.

I wonder if it'll give me a boost when I use songs from the Final Fantasy soundtracks?  slywink
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 02:21:08 PM by Gratch » Logged

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #372 on: February 25, 2010, 02:55:23 PM »

I wrapped up Space Miner last night, and give it a B+ grade.  It would have been higher, but the game really loses some steam once you max out your license level.  There's nothing to spend your money on, and you end up sitting on a fortune by the time it's finished (I had over $4.5 million stashed before the final mission).  I'd still highly recommend it though, as the writing is hilarious and the gameplay is quite fun.  Took me a little over 8 hours to complete.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #373 on: February 25, 2010, 03:22:06 PM »

I looked on the app store last night and could only find Final Fantasy II, searching for Final Fantasy didn't turn up any apps.

Because I can,
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #374 on: February 25, 2010, 04:09:29 PM »

I found them both this morning by searching 'final fantasy'

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #375 on: February 25, 2010, 04:14:45 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on February 25, 2010, 04:09:29 PM

I found them both this morning by searching 'final fantasy'

I just checked via my iPhone and they're both there now.

Because I can,
ROTC1983

View Profile
« Reply #376 on: February 25, 2010, 06:59:43 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on February 25, 2010, 02:55:23 PM

I wrapped up Space Miner last night, and give it a B+ grade.  It would have been higher, but the game really loses some steam once you max out your license level.  There's nothing to spend your money on, and you end up sitting on a fortune by the time it's finished (I had over $4.5 million stashed before the final mission).  I'd still highly recommend it though, as the writing is hilarious and the gameplay is quite fun.  Took me a little over 8 hours to complete.

Just finished the game yesterday.  Loved it!  Can't wait to see if the developer will add more content to the game. 

ROTC1983

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: February 25, 2010, 07:00:05 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on February 25, 2010, 02:16:16 PM

In addition to FF 1 & 2, Square also released Song Summoner, which is a FF Tactics-style RPG formerly just for iPod that uses your music to create characters.  I've always wanted to try this one, so I may give it a shot before picking up either of the actual FF games.  Bunch of info on the official site.

I wonder if it'll give me a boost when I use songs from the Final Fantasy soundtracks?  slywink

I was thinking about picking that up too.  Did you already buy it Gratch?

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: February 25, 2010, 07:05:19 PM »

Quote from: ROTC1983 on February 25, 2010, 07:00:05 PM

I was thinking about picking that up too.  Did you already buy it Gratch?

iPhone won't connect to WiFi here at work, so I'll be grabbing it tonight when I get home.  The comparisons to FF Tactics are too much for me to resist.

Only problem now is that Mrs. Gratch has discovered the virtual crack that is Sally's Spa.  This may be the only time we've ever battled for time over a video game!

ROTC1983

View Profile
« Reply #379 on: February 25, 2010, 07:06:53 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on February 25, 2010, 07:05:19 PM

Quote from: ROTC1983 on February 25, 2010, 07:00:05 PM

I was thinking about picking that up too.  Did you already buy it Gratch?

iPhone won't connect to WiFi here at work, so I'll be grabbing it tonight when I get home.  The comparisons to FF Tactics are too much for me to resist.

Only problem now is that Mrs. Gratch has discovered the virtual crack that is Sally's Spa.  This may be the only time we've ever battled for time over a video game!

Is that on the iPhone also?  I need to keep that away from my girlfriend Tongue

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #380 on: February 25, 2010, 07:09:28 PM »

It most certainly is.  Great little game, even if you'll feel a little embarrassed while you play it.  smile

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: February 26, 2010, 02:50:02 AM »

A couple first impressions on Final Fantasy I.

The Good:  I'm playing FF on my iPhone which, let's be honest, makes up for most - if not all - of the negatives.
The Bad:  I'd heard this was a straight port of the PSP version, but they cut out the very cool opening FMV scene.  Also, whoever chose the fonts they used should be shot.  The menu font is so small you can barely read it, and the conversation font looks like every other letter is a different point size.  It's very strange.  Other than that, it's the same FF we know and love.

Grabbed Song Summoner too, but I'm reserving judgement until I play a bit more.  I will say that one of the main characters annoyed the hell out of me after about 3.2 seconds, and the mechanic of making characters from songs on your iPhone seems pretty gimmicky.  Will report back once I figure it out a bit more.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #382 on: March 18, 2010, 12:53:52 PM »

Check out Chaos Ring, an RPG coming from SquareEnix.

Um...wow.   icon_eek

Makes me think that if they do those kind of graphics, they could port over some of the later FF games (i.e. FF 6, 9, etc.)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 12:59:14 PM by Gratch » Logged

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #383 on: March 18, 2010, 11:50:32 PM »

I'm playing a nifty little solitaire card game called "Dungeon Solitaire"
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=46562
It's a game with monsters and heroes battling against each other and there are trap cards and equipment cards and potion cards thrown into the mix.  You defeat the monsters and collect treasure and try to get a high score.  It's quite addictive but as it stands now it's a little too "luck based" for my liking.  I want a little more strategy in there if possible.  But I bought it anyways because there's a dearth of fantasy card games on the app store so I want to encourage its growth.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #384 on: March 19, 2010, 03:07:34 AM »

How would you compare it to Sword & Poker?
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #385 on: March 19, 2010, 04:44:48 AM »

I've never played Sword and Poker but I would say it's completely different.  Sword and Poker looks like a poker game that has an RPG element to it.
Dungeon Solitaire is pure solitaire.  You draw and place both the monster and hero cards  And they battle it out and depending on their levels (cards have both an attack ability and magic ability) they will either tie or one will beat the other and the other will be destroyed.  You have two columns with six spaces for cards and your castle is at the top.  If the monsters fill up all 6 of their spaces then any other monster will attack your castle and it can only be hit 3 times before you lose.
You've got to keep those spaces opened up by killing the monsters with your heroes. You can win by filling up your own 6 spaces and then drawing one more hero on top of that.  It's pretty straightforward but there's also lots of spells and potion and trap cards that you can use to modify your heroes or monsters attributes.  There are also gold multiplier cards which changes how much gold you can get from a monster.  I managed (through luck of the draw) to lay about 4 gold mulitplier cards on top of each other to get a 700 multiplier and then killed a 2000g monster on top of it for like a lot of points smile
Games go by pretty quick-like 10 minutes max.  What I love the most so far is how the game comes with Openfeint and has 24 achievements to get.  Things like "Win with a living prisoner" (crap hero card) or "Slay the Ice Dragon" (pretty awesome monster with 6/6 attack/magic).
There is some strategy but the game is very luck based as well.  I'm having a lot of fun with the achievements and I'm trying to figure out how I can "Win a game in the first 10 cards" and "Lose a game in the first 10 cards"

The developer has released a couple of mini expansions for free (you just have to enter the code to unlock them) and there are a couple other expansions for 99 cents each (which I haven't bothered to buy yet).

Here's the mini review that someone posted over on QT3 that got me into it:
http://sugarfreegamer.com/?p=637
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #386 on: March 19, 2010, 11:01:51 PM »

Tilt to Live is getting rave reviews and it's currently on sale for $1 instead of 2.

Geometry Wars type game controlled by tilt controls that actually work, and you move your guy into powerups instead of using a fire button.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: March 21, 2010, 05:06:44 AM »

I just grabbed "We Rule" for free - it's a mini kingdom builder type with multiplayer elements. 

Are any of you on the Plus+ network, I'm in as rittchard and could use some friends smile
Vidiot

View Profile
« Reply #388 on: March 21, 2010, 06:51:09 AM »

Feel free to add me as VidGT
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #389 on: March 21, 2010, 01:23:53 PM »

I'm in ruling as wonderpug.

What am I getting myself into?
Vidiot

View Profile
« Reply #390 on: March 21, 2010, 06:24:50 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on March 21, 2010, 01:23:53 PM

I think rittchard just tricked us into playing Farmville......
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: March 21, 2010, 06:45:08 PM »

Quote from: Vidiot on March 21, 2010, 06:24:50 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on March 21, 2010, 01:23:53 PM

I think rittchard just tricked us into playing Farmville......

But I still have managed to avoid having a Facebook account...so I only sold half my soul?
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #392 on: March 21, 2010, 07:30:44 PM »

lol sorry I think that's what I read - similar to Farmville for Facebook which I never played before.  I like having this kind of game portable though, more so than browser based.  Unfortunately I've been having some technical problems, or maybe the server has been down/busy.  Thanks for joining it's nice to have some neighbors smile
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #393 on: March 21, 2010, 07:41:10 PM »

Server is down for upgrades today, yeah.

Interesting that you can see the entire layout of your friends' kingdoms.  Vidiot is going for even more of a powergamer min/max placement strategy than I am.  icon_wink  "Hear Ye, Hear Ye!  Make thyselves as efficient to click on as possible!"
Vidiot

View Profile
« Reply #394 on: March 21, 2010, 08:21:16 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on March 21, 2010, 07:41:10 PM

Server is down for upgrades today, yeah.

Interesting that you can see the entire layout of your friends' kingdoms.  Vidiot is going for even more of a powergamer min/max placement strategy than I am.  icon_wink  "Hear Ye, Hear Ye!  Make thyselves as efficient to click on as possible!"

You expected any less?  Don't worry, we are a communist kingdom, the worker is very important to us.
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #395 on: March 22, 2010, 03:09:48 AM »

Groan... fine. I'm on We Rule as KeySJU

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #396 on: March 22, 2010, 04:14:19 PM »

Damn We Rule server problems!  Mah squash ain't gon' harvest themselves!
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #397 on: March 22, 2010, 06:21:34 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on March 22, 2010, 04:14:19 PM

Damn We Rule server problems!  Mah squash ain't gon' harvest themselves!

I can't explain why but I find this inane game completely addictive!  Go carrot mojo go!
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #398 on: March 22, 2010, 07:06:34 PM »

Server update in progress again?  Noooo!  My poor squash!
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #399 on: March 24, 2010, 04:52:32 PM »

Come on!  We need more peeps to join us in We Rule!  It's so fun!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 51   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: