http://gamingtrend.com
September 30, 2014, 10:37:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 54   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: iPhone/iTouch app and game thread  (Read 105562 times)
Teggy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: June 25, 2009, 01:09:15 AM »

Has anyone played the Assassin's Creed game? One of the more expensive games but it looks neat.

The lack of true wishlists in iTunes is really annoying. You can create essentially create a wishlist using a playlist, but that only works for songs. There's no way to track apps you are interested in.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Tokek

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: June 25, 2009, 06:00:11 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on June 25, 2009, 01:09:15 AM

Has anyone played the Assassin's Creed game? One of the more expensive games but it looks neat.

The lack of true wishlists in iTunes is really annoying. You can create essentially create a wishlist using a playlist, but that only works for songs. There's no way to track apps you are interested in.

I use PandoraBox for that, you can put the apps you're interested in in their Favorites list and it'll will show you when they drop in price.
Louis Cypher

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: June 25, 2009, 12:06:38 PM »

Paper Toss is a fun little time waster...Does get old quick, but hey, its free ninja

Live Gamer Tag: Kitten0Death
PSN: CabriX
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: June 25, 2009, 03:09:13 PM »

Harbor Master is a really high-quality Flight Control rip off.  You direct boats into docks, with the twist being you have to wait for them to unload cargo and then direct them to leave.  Bigger boats move slower and take more time in the dock to deliver cargo.  Simple, 99 cents, and a lot of fun if you found Flight Control enjoyable.  One recommendation though - just turn off the horrible music.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: June 25, 2009, 03:43:59 PM »

Quote from: Tokek on June 25, 2009, 06:00:11 AM

I use PandoraBox for that, you can put the apps you're interested in in their Favorites list and it'll will show you when they drop in price.

PandoraBox is very cool - thanks for the heads up.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: June 29, 2009, 07:55:53 PM »

Anyone have any recommendations for games I can play 2-player with the wife, either on a single iPhone or even better using both our phones?  She's not a video gamer at all (she does like board games, anything from Monopoly to Blokus to Ticket to Ride) but she can get roped into things like Rock Band, Wii Sports, Warioware, and other games you can jump right into.  Mainly things for us to fire up if we're waiting in line for a movie or whatever.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: June 29, 2009, 07:59:02 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on June 29, 2009, 07:55:53 PM

Anyone have any recommendations for games I can play 2-player with the wife, either on a single iPhone or even better using both our phones?  She's not a video gamer at all (she does like board games, anything from Monopoly to Blokus to Ticket to Ride) but she can get roped into things like Rock Band, Wii Sports, Warioware, and other games you can jump right into.  Mainly things for us to fire up if we're waiting in line for a movie or whatever.

The Tap Tap Revenge games are rhythm games (a la Rock Band) with a 2 person mode.  They're pretty fun, and have a bunch of versions for specific bands (I reviewed the Nine Inch Nails version)

Scrabble also has a very good pass-n-play mode for 2 people.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: June 29, 2009, 09:27:44 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on June 29, 2009, 07:55:53 PM

I'm trying to get my wife to play Shopper. I enter in all the food I like to eat and then give her the list and have her go to the store and buy it all. She's not really getting into it.

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: June 29, 2009, 09:29:17 PM »

I'm playing Zombies Live.  It was free at the time.  It kills a few minutes at a time.  My horde code is VBWFF6 in the unlikely event that anyone else is playing.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: June 29, 2009, 09:34:24 PM »

Here's a recommendation for Draw Race:  http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=320231609&mt=8

My 2 line review:
This game is great. The track variety is quite nice and it is actually quite challenging to balance speed and grip going around the turns.

What really makes the game, however, is the ability to race against the ghost laps of others.

I'm loving it.

Well worth a buck.

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #210 on: June 30, 2009, 06:22:41 AM »

Can I get a bunch of good App recommendations?  I've got plenty of games, but not enough apps.
Tokek

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: June 30, 2009, 07:05:39 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on June 30, 2009, 06:22:41 AM

Can I get a bunch of good App recommendations?  I've got plenty of games, but not enough apps.

The apps that I use frequently are these:
PocketMoney
CheckPlease Lite
Phone Flix (manage your Netflix queue from the iPhone)
Woot Watch
Quake Watch
Vlingo
iProcrastinate
Twitterfon
Amazon Kindle app
Blizzard Authenticator
Facebook app
Google app
NY Times
Pandora
Shazam
PandoraBox
Wikipanion
Amazon app
The Weather Channel
BofA app
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: June 30, 2009, 11:58:35 AM »

Setting the racing line is obvious, but how do you control speed?

Quote from: DonD on June 29, 2009, 09:34:24 PM

Here's a recommendation for Draw Race:  http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=320231609&mt=8

My 2 line review:
This game is great. The track variety is quite nice and it is actually quite challenging to balance speed and grip going around the turns.

What really makes the game, however, is the ability to race against the ghost laps of others.

I'm loving it.

Well worth a buck.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: June 30, 2009, 01:44:24 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on June 30, 2009, 06:22:41 AM

Can I get a bunch of good App recommendations?  I've got plenty of games, but not enough apps.

New to the iPhone, but here's what I like so far out of the unhealthy amount of apps I've shoved onto my phone:

• MathU - at $2 it was the cheapest HP style RPN calculator I could find.  I just wish it displayed more than one line of the stack, but it looks great and from what I hear it's more responsive than some of the other popular RPN calculator apps.
  • NYTimes / BBC News - I prefer the way the BBC app lets me choose three main categories (I went with Latest, World, Americas) and I prefer its more worldwide focus, but after a brief time with it the BBC one doesn't seem to handle caching for off-line reading as well as NYTimes does.  NYTimes let's me do a quick sync and have plenty to browse when the subway goes underground, but the BBC seems to only precache headlines and short blurbs.
  • Accuweather - Has an ad banner at the top but other than that it seemed better than Weatherbug, the default weather app, or the Weather Channel app.
  • Quickpedia - from what I read this is the best Wikipedia app out there, but I haven't tried the one Tokek recommended
  • Things - A robust to-do list app that I think cost $10.  I spent a lot of time reading up on the numerous to-do list apps out there and this one seemed like the best match for me.  Relatively expensive, but I'm going to be getting a ton of use out of it.
  • Remote - A must have if you use your computer to play music at home.
  • Flashlight - why not
  • Guitar Toolkit - A well designed chord dictionary, a metronome, and a decent guitar/bass/12-string tuner I'll always have on-hand in a pinch.  Worth the relatively high price for me.
  • i.TV - seems like a good TV guide so far
  • Calorie Tracker by LiveStrong - Syncs with the Daily Plate website to help you track calories consumed and burned
  • GasBag vs. Cheap Gas! - These two are competing to be my  'find cheapest gas nearby' app.  One shall stand, one shall fall.
  • iMapMyRun - Looks like a really slick implementation of the great MapMyRun website, but I don't know if I can handle strapping my iPhone to my arm to take full advantage of its run route tracking feature.  
  • Other overlaps with Tokek's list: PhoneFlix, Pandora, Shazam, PandoraBox
edit:  Almost forgot one!

• LOLCats App - Nothing like using a $600 piece of advanced technology along with an extensive 3G network in order to have captioned cats in your pocket ready ON DEMAND for any captioned cat related needs.  How did we ever survive without this?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 01:50:52 PM by wonderpug » Logged
Tokek

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: June 30, 2009, 05:21:43 PM »

Oh, I forgot to mention this one:

VLC Remote - great if you have a VLC based media center or just to goof off and take control of your roommate's VLC sessions and randomly rewind/FF/switch movies  ninja
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: June 30, 2009, 09:02:15 PM »

It's not technically an app, but the m.tivo.com site is great if you are a TiVo owner. And you can create a shortcut to it on your phone so it acts like a normal app.

I have Evernote on the recommendation of a few people but I'm honestly not sure what I'm supposed to do with it yet.

DonD

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: June 30, 2009, 09:04:44 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on June 30, 2009, 11:58:35 AM

Setting the racing line is obvious, but how do you control speed?

Quote from: DonD on June 29, 2009, 09:34:24 PM

My 2 line review:

I'm loving it.

Well worth a buck.
It's based on how quickly you draw the line.  You should see the speed meter at the top of the screen adjust as you slow your finger speed.

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
Clay

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: June 30, 2009, 11:17:27 PM »

I've been playing Doodle Jump.  It's surprisingly addictive and worth $0.99.  Simple to play, too, so the gf or wife might give it a good shot.

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=307727765&mt=8

xbox live: nude rick james
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 07, 2009, 04:51:41 PM »

Rolando 2 came out over the weekend.  It is awesome.  If you liked the first one or liked Loco Roco, this is a sure thing.  Everything has gotten an upgrade from the first game.  The visuals are better, the story is better, there's more stuff to collect, and the Rolandos themselves are more individualized.  Also there are more enemies and they no longer kill you in one hit.  It's now got a "knocked-out" state.  Definitely worth the 9.99.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 26, 2009, 03:04:01 PM »

I finally got around to picking up Underworlds yesterday.  It's actually a very well done Diablo clone, and is quite fun.  Only problem is that I downloaded it in the Nashville airport yesterday morning, and beat it by the time our plane landed in Denver.  Took me just over 2 hours from start to finish.  That's fine for $.99, but I would have been pissed had I paid $10 or even $5 for it.  If these guys did a full-fledged game with a bit more depth, I'd be all over it.

I also (at the insistence of my sister-in-law) picked up Sally's Spa.  I was initially pretty skeptical, but it is a work of absolute addicting genius.  It looks completely silly, but I can guarantee it's worth the $,99.

shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #220 on: July 26, 2009, 07:55:52 PM »

I recently bought Drop7 which is like Tetris meets Sudoku and I really like it.  I played so much that I had dreams about it.  There is a lite version if you want to give it a try.
There is a flash version called Chain Reaction.

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: July 27, 2009, 12:32:46 AM »

Well I've been playing Monkey Island on the iTouch.  It's good but the UI leaves something to be desired.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: July 27, 2009, 12:45:55 PM »

After about 20 cycles of seeing someone recommend Sally's Spa, looking it up in the app store and seeing the screenshots, and deciding against a purchase in order to protect my man card, I finally caved in and bought it last night.   I have to admit it didn't take long to see what all the fuss is about; really fun game.  And as a bonus my wallet is slimmer now with one less card.

Now if you'll excuse me I need to hurry up and give this impatient diva a facial so I can clear the chairs for these two newlyweds trying to get out of the sauna.  They tip well.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: July 27, 2009, 01:21:07 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on July 27, 2009, 12:45:55 PM

After about 20 cycles of seeing someone recommend Sally's Spa, looking it up in the app store and seeing the screenshots, and deciding against a purchase in order to protect my man card, I finally caved in and bought it last night.   I have to admit it didn't take long to see what all the fuss is about; really fun game.  And as a bonus my wallet is slimmer now with one less card.

Now if you'll excuse me I need to hurry up and give this impatient diva a facial so I can clear the chairs for these two newlyweds trying to get out of the sauna.  They tip well.

LOL, I hear ya man.  smile

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #224 on: July 28, 2009, 04:32:28 AM »

stoneloops is .99 for a while.  well worth the price, even though i feel a bit burned by getting it a few days earlier at 3 bucks.  zuma on the iphone, and not a hobbled app either.  7 levels, 2 different gameplay modes it controls pretty damn well. 

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #225 on: July 30, 2009, 04:25:51 PM »

if you haven't tried it, space invaders infinity gene is pretty damn cool.  play levels created from your music tracks.  somewhat expensive compared to most iphone games these days, but well worth it and still a great deal.

also on sale for now
radial 50  - breakout within a circle. pretty fun
kids vs zombies - free the last time i checked and not a bad game to boot.
spore origins, also for a buck, and if you haven't got it, pretty fun for a while.
star hogs.  bought, dl'ed and haven't played much.  worms-style tank game with a campaign and upgrades, plus mp.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: July 30, 2009, 05:28:14 PM »

I read that NGMoco's tower defense game is on sale right now as well. 
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: August 11, 2009, 02:26:52 PM »

Ranch Rush is an awesome little game in the same vein as Sally's Spa, and is a steal for $.99.

Funny how these time management sims are becoming a horrible drain on my real life productivity...

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: August 11, 2009, 06:13:46 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on August 11, 2009, 02:26:52 PM

Ranch Rush is an awesome little game in the same vein as Sally's Spa, and is a steal for $.99.

Funny how these time management sims are becoming a horrible drain on my real life productivity...

It's up to $1.99. But I've saved that under PandoraBox's favorites so next time it goes on sale I'll snag it. Thanks!

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: August 12, 2009, 01:06:08 PM »

I noticed this morning that there is a version of Civilization Revolution available.  $4.99 is a little pricey for me, but if anyone takes the plunge, let us know how it is.  I adored the 360 version and thought the DS flavor was decent...I'd be interested to see how this one turns out.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: August 12, 2009, 01:20:04 PM »

From what I've read it's a pretty solid port.  People have said it's a bit of a system hog and can be choppy if you don't have a 3GS phone.  Also there's no online multiplayer on it, sadly.  (Not sure about hot seat.)
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: August 12, 2009, 03:37:42 PM »

Made a writeup on Qt3 of the shitload of games I've tried, figured I might as well cross-post:

Here's what I've put on my phone that I've been happy with, in no particular order.

• Shredder - Best chess game for my preferences.  The game gives you an ability rating and adjusts its ability to match, and there's a bunch of other features that put it above the other good chess options
  • Lux - RISK board game clone.  There's a free version that lets you play a standard RISK world map, I liked it enough to buy the full version so I could get more maps and the ability to save progress.
  • i3Hand21 - Great Blackjack app.  You can play up to 3 hands at once, customize the house rules, and choose from a number of the popular counting strategies to be done automatically for you
  • FlightControl, Harbor Master, Sea Captain -- All are fun, but Harbor Master's probably my favorite
  • Uniwar - great Advance Wars type game, but much better if you join the multiplayer frenzy
  • Mecho Wars - same genre as Uniwar, but arguably better if you're going to be playing solo
  • Oregon Trail - Well done update but the premium pricing is a bit cocky
  • Rolando 1 & 2 - iPhone Loco Roco
  • Dark Nova - Clone of the old "Space Trader" PDA game
  • Space Ace - Virtual buttons are a bit awkward but it looks just like the classic arcade game
  • Peggle - is awesome
  • WildWest Pinball - well done
  • I Dig It - Fun but can get repetitive, but hey, it's cheap
  • Scrabble - Great pass'n'play makes this my go-to app if the wife and I are waiting in line for something for a long time
  • geoDefense - only iPhone tower defense game that really clicked for me
  • Sally's Spa - I was skeptical but you should just man up and get it; it's really well done and a ton of fun
  • Zen Bound - Simple and fun
  • Space Invaders InfinityGene - Great new vertical scrolling shooter
  • Spider - Just came out and it's a great original game
  • Euchre - It's a decent enough Euchre game if you're one of the few who's even heard of the card game

Weren't right for me but may be right for you:
  • Archon - Was better in my memories
  • de Blob - Didn't like the controls
  • Fieldrunners - Oft recommended tower defense game but too simple for me
  • Bookworm - It's fine but I should've just waited for the inevitable Bookworm Adventures release
  • Zenonia - Zelda clone, struggling to be ok with the controls
  • Dr. Awesome - Decent enough but the gameplay doesn't really have legs for me
  • Tap Tap Revenge - Fun but seems expensive to get songs you've heard of
  • Let's golf! - Supposed to be a good golf game but it disobeys the phone mute switch so I never play it
  • Flick Bowling - Mute switch violator
  • Galcon - Decent twist on RISK gameplay but I prefer Lux
  • Knights Onrush - Somewhat fun but way too click-happy...or touch happy, whatever.
  • 7Cities - Decent tower defense game but not for me
  • Heroes of Sparta - Popular God of War clone but hasn't clicked for me
  • Defender Chronicles - I almost really like this different take on tower defense but I think it needs a few rounds of patches to get the balance right
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 04:07:54 PM by wonderpug » Logged
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: August 12, 2009, 03:59:18 PM »

Good list, agree with many of your assessments.  I should probably get mine together one of these days.

Not to pick nits, but Hero of Sparta is much more a God of War clone than a Diablo clone.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: August 12, 2009, 04:08:38 PM »

Good call.  Changed it.
Poomba
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: August 12, 2009, 05:43:42 PM »

OK, so here's a dumb question - I am considering an iPod Touch, do all of the apps work on the touch as well? Understandably, certain apps, such as Pandora, may not work unless in the presence of wifi. I am seeing and hearing about a bunch of cool things the touch can do and am intrigued about having my main mp3 player also be a portable web communication device while on the john.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: August 12, 2009, 06:48:30 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on August 12, 2009, 01:06:08 PM

I noticed this morning that there is a version of Civilization Revolution available.  $4.99 is a little pricey for me, but if anyone takes the plunge, let us know how it is.  I adored the 360 version and thought the DS flavor was decent...I'd be interested to see how this one turns out.

I bought it.  It's essentially identical to the 360 game - seems to be the very same data just dropped down to tile-based graphics and a touch interface.  On the plus side, it's the game you love on your iphone.  On the downside, the interface feels a little bit cramped and the tutorial is pretty barebones, so there's a bit of a learning curve.  I played the 360 version quite a bit but took some time to remember everything and navigate the iphone interface.  There are some weird interface decisions, like using tilt to scroll through the advisors list.  Very strange decision.  You can use touch too but it was scrolling wildly when I first loaded it up and I couldn't figure out why.  Also I've heard performance on anything less than a 3GS is very poor.  I have a 3GS and haven't had any problems in that regard.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #236 on: August 12, 2009, 07:05:58 PM »

Quote from: Poomba on August 12, 2009, 05:43:42 PM

OK, so here's a dumb question - I am considering an iPod Touch, do all of the apps work on the touch as well? Understandably, certain apps, such as Pandora, may not work unless in the presence of wifi. I am seeing and hearing about a bunch of cool things the touch can do and am intrigued about having my main mp3 player also be a portable web communication device while on the john.

Most apps will work.  Apps that need a net connection can't be used unless you're in wifi range other apps that require things like microphones won't work unless you have one.

However, you will find the lack of controls annoying when using the touch and having it in your pocket.  You will have to shell out for some kind of remote so you can quickly control the thing without getting it out of your pocket every time, like while driving or working.  So expect to spend $30 or so on the apple in-line remotes + headphones for a sleek version with okay sound, or buy a bulkier remote from a third party and deal with more wires.
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: August 12, 2009, 07:20:24 PM »

Yes, they will run, if an app needs a mic though, you will have to purchase a headset with an integrated mic. smile

EDIT:  I really need to refresh my browser more often Tongue

Tokek

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: August 12, 2009, 11:25:22 PM »

Convertbot is free for a limited time. I think it's one of the best unit conversion, currency conversion app out there.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: August 19, 2009, 02:07:40 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on August 12, 2009, 01:06:08 PM

$4.99 is pricey?  It's $9.99 now.  I kind of wish I had bought it for $4.99 when it was on sale (twice).  I played a bit of the demo and thought 'meh' then I played more of the demo and thought-wow this is fantastic.  But of course the price had gone up then.  Of course I don't think I would play this while I was sitting on the train-it's not really a 'pick up and play' type of game and I wouldn't want it draining my phone battery.  If I'm going to sit down at home and play a civilization game then I might as well play the real thing on my computer.  It is a darned good game however.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 54   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: