http://gamingtrend.com
September 23, 2014, 12:59:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 54   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: iPhone/iTouch app and game thread  (Read 105229 times)
rittchard
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: May 04, 2009, 08:12:45 PM »

Lots of cool new releases:

Myst looks pretty incredible for a portable (but takes up over a gig, ouch!)

http://toucharcade.com/2009/05/02/cyans-myst-for-iphone-brings-back-memories/

Tiger Woods Golf

http://toucharcade.com/2009/05/04/a-closer-look-at-eas-tiger-woods-pga-tour/

and a Mass Effect game coming for you Bioware fanboys!

http://toucharcade.com/2009/05/04/bioware-clarifies-leaked-info-on-mass-effect-for-iphone/

Also heard Apple hired a former Xbox bigwig, supposedly indicating their seriousness in hitting the gaming market.

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 04, 2009, 10:17:09 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on May 04, 2009, 07:09:29 PM

I can't make heads nor tails of Dark Nova.   Seems like a glorified spreadsheet to me...am I missing something?

It's essentially Space Rangers on your iPhone-who wouldn't love that.  Not a good portable game though in my opinion.  I wouldn't want to play it for just 3 or 4 minutes.  I beat the game and now I'm waiting for the promised huge, amazing updates to come out before I get into it again.

I made $2800 on the virtual stock market yesterday with iTrade!  Unfortunately since I was $2000 down after the close on Friday that means I'm only up $800.  You guys should really grab it for the price of free! At the very least you could use it just to follow how your own stocks are doing.

Championship Manager for the iPhone is out now (on the UK store at least) and apparently it sucks big time which is what I would have expected from CM. Now if the guys from FM had put out a game, then I would have been excited!
crumsteel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 06, 2009, 01:19:22 AM »

Did anybody get Myst? I remember the game from 15 years ago and really want to play it again. But... I remember not understanding what the hell was going on in the game and worried about that frustration again. If it is good, I will give it another try now that I am older.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 06, 2009, 04:20:45 PM »

Myst is useless. IT was a great indicator of the pretty pictures computers back in the day could do, but story wise it's uber-weak sauce.

As for Airline Mania, My Fair Lady is completely addicted to it. She's playing it constantly now and is much further than I am. Which is, of course, hilarious.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: May 07, 2009, 01:11:47 AM »

I am really enjoying Bookworm if you like to spell.

Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 07, 2009, 01:31:53 AM »

I spent a few minutes now with Dark Nova this evening. At first I thought it was a pretty boring math game, but it gets surprisingly addictive as you move forward. Took me a few runs to get over 2000 credits, then I got nabbed by pirates and went all the way back down to 500 credits. Now I've upgraded to a new ship and am trading is starting to get more lucrative.

A few questions if anyone knows the answers...
I don't have any quests yet. Do they just sort of magically appear, or do I have to actually seek them out someplace?
Is there any story to the game?
Do you base stats change as you play the game? Do you level up, for example?
Also, what good are engineering points?

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 07, 2009, 01:49:27 AM »

Quote from: Godzilla Blitz on May 07, 2009, 01:31:53 AM

I spent a few minutes now with Dark Nova this evening. At first I thought it was a pretty boring math game, but it gets surprisingly addictive as you move forward. Took me a few runs to get over 2000 credits, then I got nabbed by pirates and went all the way back down to 500 credits. Now I've upgraded to a new ship and am trading is starting to get more lucrative.

A few questions if anyone knows the answers...
I don't have any quests yet. Do they just sort of magically appear, or do I have to actually seek them out someplace?
Is there any story to the game?
Do you base stats change as you play the game? Do you level up, for example?
Also, what good are engineering points?

Read the help section as that answers a lot of questions except the wormhole one, namely how do I travel via wormhole? Here are my answers to that and your questions (based on what I've found):

1) Regarding quests, you find them on systems in the System Info section. This is where you buy the newspaper. It will say Special there as well, and that will lead you to a quest. To date I've found exactly 1 of these. There are more but you have to find the right planet so I assume it can and will take a while.

2) No story beyond trade until you get $500,000 credits at which point you get a quest to buy a moon and retire. Game over.

3) You don't level up per se. What happens is you hire people (larger ship = more crew quarters for more people) with different stats. If one has piloting skills better than yours, then he/she will take over flying in between planets.

4) I believe engineering involves how much damage your ship takes and how quickly it gets repaired. The stats and what each does is covered in the game's Help section.

5) Regarding wormholes, you first have to find a system that has one. It will be a planet with a red dot next to it. Fly to that planet, then go to the warp screen. Do not select another planet. Just hit Warp and BAM! Through the wormhole you go. Go through the same one twice and you will end up in two different places.

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 07, 2009, 02:02:58 AM »

Cool! Thanks!

I hope they flesh this game out. It's got potential.

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 07, 2009, 03:00:30 AM »

Quote from: Godzilla Blitz on May 07, 2009, 02:02:58 AM

Cool! Thanks!

I hope they flesh this game out. It's got potential.

It's also a recreation of an old PC game so I imagine they won't do much in the way of fleshing it out, i.e. adding quests and such. They could surprise me though, and I would love it if they added more things to it but for now I don't see that happening.

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 07, 2009, 01:30:09 PM »

Actually they've promised HUGE things for the 1.5 and 2.0 release.  They haven't actually said what those things are going to be-just that they're going to blow the game out of the water.  Right now they're only on version 0.276 or something like that so it sounds like there's going to be a ways to go.

I am also totally addicted to Airport Mania-what ridiculous value for 99 cents.  I'm on the 6th "world" now.  Only 2 more to go.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 07, 2009, 01:42:25 PM »

For anyone who was skeptical of Uniwar (even for 99cents) there's a lite version out if you want to give it a shot.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 07, 2009, 04:52:34 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on May 07, 2009, 01:30:09 PM

Actually they've promised HUGE things for the 1.5 and 2.0 release.  They haven't actually said what those things are going to be-just that they're going to blow the game out of the water.  Right now they're only on version 0.276 or something like that so it sounds like there's going to be a ways to go.

IGNORE ME!

kathode

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 07, 2009, 05:53:04 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on May 06, 2009, 04:20:45 PM

Myst is useless. IT was a great indicator of the pretty pictures computers back in the day could do, but story wise it's uber-weak sauce.

I don't know how you bash Myst for not having a story and then praise Airport Mania in the next breath smile  I picked up Myst last night and it's great.  It's about exploring a world filled with puzzles and cool sights.  Just remember it's Myst, not realMyst, so you plod along, one screenshot at a time.  Puzzles can be tough but I think the world is great and it's a fantastic nostalgia trip.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 07, 2009, 06:32:45 PM »

Quote from: kathode on May 07, 2009, 05:53:04 PM

Quote from: whiteboyskim on May 06, 2009, 04:20:45 PM

I don't know how you bash Myst for not having a story and then praise Airport Mania in the next breath smile

One is fun, the other isn't. I don't need a story for a game to be fun. What I DO need is that when a story is presented, that it have some focus, preferably characters I care about, and some sort of resolution - basically the polar opposite of Myst. smile

kathode

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 07, 2009, 07:35:58 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on May 07, 2009, 06:32:45 PM

One is fun, the other isn't. I don't need a story for a game to be fun. What I DO need is that when a story is presented, that it have some focus, preferably characters I care about, and some sort of resolution - basically the polar opposite of Myst. smile

The story in Myst is really just a framework for moving between puzzles, though.  Well anyway, I think it's pretty fun, though certainly it's a more laid-back kind of gameplay.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: May 08, 2009, 02:54:31 AM »

I am, as usual, expressing my own snotty opinion. If you like Myst, knock yourself out. If you don't, then play Airport Mania which is hella fun and challenging. Yup, I used "hella." smile

Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 08, 2009, 12:18:50 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on May 08, 2009, 02:54:31 AM

I am, as usual, expressing my own snotty opinion. If you like Myst, knock yourself out. If you don't, then play Airport Mania which is hella fun and challenging. Yup, I used "hella." smile

I tried to buy Airport Mania yesterday, but iTunes kept telling me it was unavailable in my area when I clicked on the icon to buy it. Weird.

kathode

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 08, 2009, 02:00:40 PM »

Yeah I didn't mean to say your opinion is wrong or invalid, just thought it was kind of a weird thing to knock Myst for smile  But to each their own.

I'm still playing Rogue Touch almost daily.  Got pretty far yesterday - level 25 - but killed by a griffin.  Man, the jump in difficulty between Medusas/Griffins and everything that comes before is insane.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 08, 2009, 02:09:59 PM »

Quote from: kathode on May 08, 2009, 02:00:40 PM

I'm still playing Rogue Touch almost daily.  Got pretty far yesterday - level 25 - but killed by a griffin.  Man, the jump in difficulty between Medusas/Griffins and everything that comes before is insane.

Amen to that.  My high score list is almost exclusively populated by Medusas in the "killed by" column. No matter how powerful and well-equipped your character might be, you're basically screwed if you get hit by their confuse attack.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 12, 2009, 12:32:49 PM »

Peggle is out for the iPhone  for those interested.  $4.99
I saw a video of it on Youtube and thought, this is Peggle?  This is the game that people have been raving about for the past 5 years? (yes I've obviously been living under a rock).  I mean you drop a ball and watch it bounce off of other balls.  It's hardly a game!
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 12, 2009, 12:41:18 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on May 12, 2009, 12:32:49 PM

I saw a video of it on Youtube and thought, this is Peggle?  This is the game that people have been raving about for the past 5 years? (yes I've obviously been living under a rock).  I mean you drop a ball and watch it bounce off of other balls.  It's hardly a game!

Don't knock it until you've tried it.  I bought it last night as soon as it was in the store and it plays great on the iPhone. 

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 12, 2009, 01:23:27 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on May 12, 2009, 12:32:49 PM

Crap, this is not going to help my productivity today.

Saw that they released a Resident Evil game today too.  Anyone tried it yet?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 01:26:45 PM by Gratch » Logged

DonD

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 12, 2009, 09:00:52 PM »

I have a bunch of word games, but Textropolis is the best in that category IMO.  The gameplay involves making  as many 4+ letter words as you can out of the word given (each given word is a city name).  Once you get enough (20%, I think) of the possible number of words, the next city opens up.  Each time you make a legitimate word, it also lets you know the definition.  Each city starts out pretty easy as the 4 letter words are easy to spot, but it gets increasingly hard once you get past the obvious ones.  Once you get enough words, the next city opens, but you can continue making words to get more stars awarded.

It's an addictive little game, and I found myself playing until the low battery warning came on.

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 13, 2009, 01:31:52 AM »

Textropolis is neat, but I find the sheer number of words overwhelming. Stitch'em Words is a favorite of mine. Another anagram game, but it uses letters as well as pictures that represent groups of letters. For instance, a little picture of an automobile might be used to make: viCAR, CARrot, CARton, etc.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Tokek

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 15, 2009, 06:35:16 AM »

Found a cool app today, while not exactly a game it may help you find the games you want when they actually get to the price you are waiting for.

Pandorabox

It's free and it lists all the new apps and recently price dropped.  You can also put apps on favorites and it will check the prices for you.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: May 15, 2009, 12:54:02 PM »

Quote from: Godzilla Blitz on May 08, 2009, 12:18:50 PM

I tried to buy Airport Mania yesterday, but iTunes kept telling me it was unavailable in my area when I clicked on the icon to buy it. Weird.

Homeland security has issued a public statement indicating that your in a permanent "orange" zone and are unable to purchase, ride in, look at, or fantasize about airplanes. As a matter of fact when someone isn't zipped all the way up, you're not allowed to say they are "Flying Low", nor are you allowed to greet people named John with the phrase "Hi, Jack!".

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 15, 2009, 01:21:36 PM »

Quote from: Purge on May 15, 2009, 12:54:02 PM

...nor are you allowed to greet people named John with the phrase "Hi, Jack!".

saywhat

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 15, 2009, 09:16:50 PM »

Okay, found a game breaker glitch in Dark Nova. There is a quest to kill a monster in a system (Acamar for me) and when I got there, I slew the mighty beast, then proceeded on to the planet for my reward. Where I discovered I could just spam the "Special" button there and get my $15K reward over and over again. Which let me hit the $500K mark and get the final mission.

DonD

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 24, 2009, 11:58:45 PM »

Zenonia has been released.  It is supposed to be a 40hr RPG in the vein of Zelda:LTTP, but for a $6 price tag.

The forums at Touch Arcade are exploding:  'best game ever', etc. after 5 minutes of play.  I can't imagine what you can see in the first 5 minutes (cut scene, perhaps) that would merit those kind of recommendations, but there certainly is a lot of excitement surrounding this release.

I picked it up.  I can't help wanting to see what this is all about.

Link:
http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=316720410&mt=8

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 25, 2009, 12:28:00 AM »

Quote from: DonD on May 24, 2009, 11:58:45 PM

Zenonia has been released.  It is supposed to be a 40hr RPG in the vein of Zelda:LTTP, but for a $6 price tag.

The forums at Touch Arcade are exploding:  'best game ever', etc. after 5 minutes of play.  I can't imagine what you can see in the first 5 minutes (cut scene, perhaps) that would merit those kind of recommendations, but there certainly is a lot of excitement surrounding this release.

I picked it up.  I can't help wanting to see what this is all about.

Link:
http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=316720410&mt=8

Looks interesting, let us know how it fares Don.

DonD

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: May 25, 2009, 02:04:53 AM »

So far, it seems like a combination of DS-style RPG and MMORPG -- in the sense that the quest givers have ! or ? above their head so they are easy to identify and you can pick up multiple quests at one time -- plus the 'kill 5 slimes' type quest and 'get firewood').

Since I've paid $30 for a similar type game on other platforms, I can understand the excitement in getting a game like this for $6.  But so far I haven't seen anything really revolutionary and story-wise, it's really the same old recycled story (father dies when you are a baby -> raised by another family and lo and behold, you are the 'chosen one', except neither you or anyone else except the darkest evil beings are aware of this).

I'm having fun with it but it is my type of game to begin with.

DonD

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 25, 2009, 02:08:46 AM »

This is where the real meat is.  It's a grilling app, free for the Memorial Day weekend.   Kind of fun, good visuals, and definitely gets you in the mood for some real grilling.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #152 on: June 08, 2009, 09:18:00 AM »

So Graeme Devine (former Trilobyte, former Ensemble) just got a job at Apple, along with other past news that Apple was picking up other game developers.  Combine this with rumors about the latest iphone/ipod having a better processor, more memory, and some kind of 3D acceleration, and a discreet games tab instead of just apps, makes me think that apple might finally be pushing for more games on their system.
Tokek

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 08, 2009, 06:53:12 PM »

Firemint's Real Racing is out today and it's damn good.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 08, 2009, 07:43:11 PM »

Quote from: Tokek on June 08, 2009, 06:53:12 PM

Firemint's Real Racing is out today and it's damn good.

wow that looks amazing
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 10, 2009, 02:13:58 PM »

Quote from: DonD on May 25, 2009, 02:04:53 AM

So far, it seems like a combination of DS-style RPG and MMORPG -- in the sense that the quest givers have ! or ? above their head so they are easy to identify and you can pick up multiple quests at one time -- plus the 'kill 5 slimes' type quest and 'get firewood').

Since I've paid $30 for a similar type game on other platforms, I can understand the excitement in getting a game like this for $6.  But so far I haven't seen anything really revolutionary and story-wise, it's really the same old recycled story (father dies when you are a baby -> raised by another family and lo and behold, you are the 'chosen one', except neither you or anyone else except the darkest evil beings are aware of this).

I broke down and picked up Zenonia this morning (what can I say, I'm a sucker for JRPG's smile), and my initial impressions mirror Don's pretty closely.  It's a nifty game, but certainly nothing revolutionary.  I was a bit surprised by the amount of typos and the stupid character names were distracting (main character is "Regret", his father is "Pardon", enemy is "Virulent", etc.), but overall it looks like a pretty solid action-RPG.

EDIT:  Is there a trick to quick-slotting items?  I selected my potions and dropped them in the second quick slot, but they don't show up.  Abilities seem to be fine, but I can't get ay items to display in the slots.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 02:55:35 PM by Gratch » Logged

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 10, 2009, 02:18:50 PM »

For any public radio fans, I picked up "Public Radio Tuner" by Public Radio Exchange (free, natch) to get a feed for my local NPR station in Dallas.  Who really needs an FM tuner on this thing, huh?  All the cool stations have an app for streaming.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 10, 2009, 03:26:52 PM »

Anyone who enjoyed Portal will love iShift. It is a brilliant little puzzle game. Short, but that depends on how fast you blow through the puzzles. It's best not to describe it any more but I will say that you need to pick this up.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: June 10, 2009, 04:50:05 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on June 10, 2009, 02:13:58 PM

Quote from: DonD on May 25, 2009, 02:04:53 AM

I broke down and picked up Zenonia this morning (what can I say, I'm a sucker for JRPG's smile), and my initial impressions mirror Don's pretty closely.  It's a nifty game, but certainly nothing revolutionary.  I was a bit surprised by the amount of typos and the stupid character names were distracting (main character is "Regret", his father is "Pardon", enemy is "Virulent", etc.), but overall it looks like a pretty solid action-RPG.

EDIT:  Is there a trick to quick-slotting items?  I selected my potions and dropped them in the second quick slot, but they don't show up.  Abilities seem to be fine, but I can't get ay items to display in the slots.

On the right of the quickslots is a small "Play" button beside your action button. It toggles the quickslots between active abilities and items.

The one thing I'm having a hard time with is the interface buttons. I wish the inventory was bigger and allowed direct touching of items and OK buttons.

All in all it is good though. I don't regret buying it.

Yeah, I used his name that way. Sue me - I have no Sorrow, Anguish or Lament. nod
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 04:52:40 PM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 10, 2009, 04:58:02 PM »

Quote from: Purge on June 10, 2009, 04:50:05 PM

On the right of the quickslots is a small "Play" button beside your action button. It toggles the quickslots between active abilities and items.

The one thing I'm having a hard time with is the interface buttons. I wish the inventory was bigger and allowed direct touching of items and OK buttons.

All in all it is good though. I don't regret buying it.

Thanks, that did the trick.  Strange design decision though, as I don't really want to be toggling back & forth between quick slot sets in the middle of combat...

Yeah, I used his name that way. Sue me - I have no Sorrow, Anguish or Lament. nod

icon_lol

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 54   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: